Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2323 2324 [2325] 2326 2327 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100500 times)

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34860 on: June 09, 2014, 12:54:55 pm »

Mod? That can't happen in vanilla.

No.  This is not modable behavior.

Actually, it is modable behavior. TF52's clown civ can become necros I believe.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34861 on: June 09, 2014, 01:03:25 pm »

No.  Dynamically generated creatures like Titans and Demons and Forgotten Beasts are not present in the modable data.

You can *somewhat* hack save data to examine things that were generated during worldgen, but you can't set it up so that a new world can be generated with the things you tweaked.

Now, to be absolutely fair, there is probably some feature of DFHACK or something that lets you flip a curse flag or turn something into a necromancer once it is on your map.  But this is not the same as "OMG this crazy thing has just shown up, look how crazy it is"

Similarly, to be fair, it is possible that someone made a mod (edit:  and yes, it looks like TF52 made exactly this mod) with a custom creature type and corresponding entity type called clowns and circus or some shit like that (as you suggest, good sir) but this is not the same as the implication -- that a dynamically generated demon was created by the game engine with necromantic powers. 

This can't currently occur.  There is no reason to make excuses for it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:08:23 pm by puke »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34862 on: June 09, 2014, 01:03:38 pm »

Tried clearing the 3rd caverns of the two forgotten beasts. Had the miners breach the caverns and sent the fort's two hammerlords and two macelords.

One of the beasts, a giant scorpion with a poisonous sting, liked to play hard to get. It kept kiting the soldiers by swimming around in the water, before catching one of the macelords off guard, separating her from her comrades, and knocking her into the water with it. It slowly drove the macelord several tiles away from shore with constant charges and attacks, and at one point the thing even wrestled the dwarf's morningstar away from her and started bashing her with it, all while the macelord was drowning.

The other soldiers returned and managed to aggro the beast out of the water to attack them instead. The drowning macedwarf managed to escape the water and retreat to safety with nothing worse than a bunch of cuts. The two hammerlords pummeled the forgotten beast until it bled to death.

The injured macelord got an infection though, and her attributes say she's very susceptible to disease, so she may die yet.

The other forgotten beast remains unaccounted for. An adamantine spire was spotted during the foray, so we know where the candy is now.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34863 on: June 09, 2014, 01:08:07 pm »

No.  Dynamically generated creatures like Titans and Demons and Forgotten Beasts are not present in the modable data.

You can *somewhat* hack save data to examine things that were generated during worldgen, but you can't set it up so that a new world can be generated with the things you tweaked.

Now, to be absolutely fair, there is probably some feature of DFHACK or something that lets you flip a curse flag or turn something into a necromancer once it is on your map.  But this is not the same as "OMG this crazy thing has just shown up, look how crazy it is"

Similarly, to be fair, it is possible that someone made a mod with a custom creature type and corresponding entity type called clowns and circus or some shit like that (as you suggest, good sir) but this is not the same as the implication -- that a dynamically generated demon was created by the game engine with necromantic powers. 

You can go into the save files, take the dynamically generated clowns out of the save, put them into a civ, and then have them be necromancers. See this mod for how TF52 did it.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34864 on: June 09, 2014, 01:09:30 pm »

No.  This is not modable behavior.  There are days where I feel like the majority of shit posted in these forums is fabricated from whole cloth.  I can't wrap my mind around why people want to lie about this stuff. 

I mean, this is basically a paraphrase of something I posted here... god... five years ago?  ten?  but:  Who are you trying to impress?  A bunch of nerdy roguelike players?  There is nothing of value to gain by falsifying these stories.

Wow you have been around for a long time. :o
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34865 on: June 09, 2014, 01:10:05 pm »

except that they're no longer dynamically..

jeezus, you know what?  nevermind.  go back to what you were doing.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34866 on: June 09, 2014, 01:12:17 pm »

I don't want to be seen as dumb for saying this, but...
Isn't it possible for some clowns to "escape hell" during world gen and pose as gods or civ leaders (especially to goblins)?
And isn't it possible for a civ leader to become obsessed with mortality?
Therefore, I think it would be really rare, but POSSIBLE, for a really long world gen to produce a necroclown.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34867 on: June 09, 2014, 01:14:01 pm »

at the town he ruled.

I believe this actually could have been vanilla. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that clowns that escape the circus in world gen and rule a town gain the intelligent tag, which then makes them eligible for necromancerfication.

Edit: Dang, got ninja'd

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34868 on: June 09, 2014, 01:24:23 pm »

I don't want to be seen as dumb for saying this, but...

No, you're right.  You're absolutely correct, this does sound like a feasible possibility.

Good job.  You've just constructed the never-before-seen-but-technically-possible edge case which makes the original story possible.  Like a dwarfy Johnie Cochran or something.

Did I say nevermind?  I guess what I mean was that I really wanted to shoot my mouth off a little more before leaving this alone.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34869 on: June 09, 2014, 03:44:31 pm »

I was confused today when the dwarven merchants that I trapped didn't show up in my "others" units screen (I hadn't check my dead screen) but I could still see their icons on the cages they were once trapped in. I decided to look at them and it turns out those icons were actually its corpses, trapped in a cage and somehow not decomposing.

I was a little creeped out by this, so I atomsmashed the cages and memorialized the merchants with slabs.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34870 on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:11 pm »

Oiltramples is going strong, thanks in part to procrastination--we didn't breach the caverns until we had a strong military and over 10,000 bone bolts.  Though poor in useful metals, we have made up the lack thanks to exports of gemstone-encrusted gemstones.  (Yo dawg...)  It's my first fortress to become a mountainhome!  Yay, me.

Of our 197 dwarves, 85 are babies and 15 are children.  No activity is performed that isn't clogged with a cloud of mewling sprats.  A botched tower demolition a few years ago cost us many children.  That was generally regarded as a good thing.

Defense is designed around the 'campus of death' plan.  Beyond the walls and spires of the central area are all sorts of potentially deadly constructions like archer towers, bunkers, and recently, a building containing a narrow walkway with weapon traps and spikes 10 z-levels down.  A recent, mismanaged ambush led to hand-to-hand fighting on said walkway.  Two dwarves made the Fall of Shame.  Both were impaled by the neck, and both recovered after about a year in traction.

Now the Great Project begins:  to pump magma 110+ z-levels to a holding tank above the fortress for the sole purpose of burning up unwanted refuse.  It will require at least two power stations, not to mention glassworks on level -110 so I can make all those pipes and screw components.

The dwarves are happy, but they have two chronic complaints:  worn clothes and not enough tables in the dining halls.  I'm making clothing constantly--CONSTANTLY.  And there are so many tables.  What do they do, all eat lunch at once?  Bastard dwarves.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34871 on: June 09, 2014, 04:08:45 pm »

not enough tables in the dining halls.

there are so many tables.  What do they do, all eat lunch at once?  Bastard dwarves.

Have you got a ratio of 1 chair per table? If there are two chairs next to a single table, Dorfs can both sit at the table, and will then complain about the overcrowding even if there are lots more tables.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34872 on: June 09, 2014, 04:16:00 pm »

due to unorthodox fort design, my fort is having a major problem dealing with flesh balls. I have spiders spitting webs onto cage traps in one of my cavern entrances, and a group of flesh balls got stuck there. normally this won't be a problem, but one of my dwarves accidentally got caged and I have to rescue him before he dies of thirst. The flesh balls are making this really hard because I can't get melee dwarves close enough to kill it due to webs and webs automatically cancel jobs, meaning I can't haul the poor dwarf out. So I'm relying on my marksdwarves to kill them. hopefully they can bleed out before my trapped dwarf dies of thirst.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34873 on: June 09, 2014, 04:51:21 pm »

I bought the exact amount of leather I needed for my current military forces. c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34874 on: June 09, 2014, 07:29:22 pm »

I didn't know this could happen.

the water buffalo has gone berserk. when a creature goes berserk, the game automatically paused. I didn't know this happened either.
Pages: 1 ... 2323 2324 [2325] 2326 2327 ... 3842