Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2321 2322 [2323] 2324 2325 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100047 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34830 on: June 07, 2014, 09:07:00 pm »

Going to test such things in the arena.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34831 on: June 07, 2014, 09:10:58 pm »

Finished a year at Demongate outside the actual thread. It was... eventful.

I had to seal the caverns entirely since a beast with mysterious, actually deadly dust showed up (I don't know what it does - only that it causes all body parts to become yellow on the wounds screen, followed/preceded? by fever). So the cavern layers are now forever sealed to us/sealed until I can build a device to burn the contaminants out and slay the beasts with marksdwarves and bait furniture.
The carverns being sealed though means that an ever greater number of beasts are accumulating in there - especially since I just finished mining out all the adamantine known to be safe on the map. And despite the caverns supposedly being sealed, one got into my main stairwell, where I think it caused a dwarf to burn to death before I could kill it. So there's smoke and miasma all up and down that stairwell now, not to mention a healthy coating of forgotten beast ichor.

Simultaniously, we were attacked by a were-gecko, which managed to infect several dwarves with beast sickness. I had to quarantine them before it spread, which wasn't fun, but remarkably they didn't actually transform for months (I'm just as confused as you are - probably a bug) and starved/bled to death. I was going to try to cage 'em, wait for a good opportunity and lob 'em into the circus. Oh well.

Lack of clothing almost caused a major tantrum spiral all year, which I combated by fixing my predecessor's blatant disregard for morale and actually giving people rooms, smoothing/engraving rooms, and building furniture in rooms. Somehow, I'm the only one of what, 8 players we've had now, that actually does this. Clothing replacements were also constructed, which put a further dint on FPS. FPS approaching critically low levels (reaching 28 fps for a bit) forced me to smash everything I could get my hands on, and butcher faster than I've ever butchered before. I had 8 butchers operating at once to contain the massive amounts of cats and dogs I'd accumulated.

Thinking I was going to die though gave me incentive to fix the emergency bunker (in the dirt layer) one of my predecessors constructed, which was being blocked off by vegetation. Flooring the access tunnels fixed that, but then I noticed that vermin had eaten all the food/drink in there. Thusly I replaced it and pastured a few pet cats in there - they'll be out of danger there, and they'll keep the vermin out of my stockpiles.

In the middle of this, I managed to make peace with the humans (I started a war with them when their diplomat turned out to be a reptile man vampire and hence was purged), who were the only caravan I didn't accidentally partially crush with the airlock bridges (we have an overly complicated everything) and thus were the only caravan I could actually trade with. Which is unfortunate, because the dwarven caravan is a major source of iron for me and I'm trying to reequip the militia. I mentioned that I mined all the adamantine I can safely mine; further mining will require a bucket brigade to obsidianize magma around the adamantine or risking the circus invading. Steel/adamantine equipping is progressing well, and the value creation is baiting hordes of monsters to my caverns and Goblin Santa to my surface at a horrifying/gratifying rate, respectively. The military has reached the point where only goblin weapon masters are a threat during sieges thanks to intensive training regimines (I'm getting quite a few legendaries myself now). If it weren't for an uncapped circus, the ever-looming threat of beast incurisions, a slade fortress with a layer I still can't safely approach which, judging by the other layers, is home to HUNDREDS of zombies I'd probably be bored (ntm this FPS being garbage) and abandon. I'm hungering for a terrifying biome now.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34832 on: June 07, 2014, 09:48:51 pm »

Well, two unarmed fallens managed to take down a lizard brute and a lizard demon with absolutely no wounds at all. More testing required.
EDIT: I have concluded that only the Smoky Quartz Fiends are to be truly feared. THEY CAN BASH BRONZE COLOSSI TO DEATH. DO NOT ENGAGE THEM IN COMBAT. DROP FLOORS ON THEM.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34833 on: June 07, 2014, 10:13:52 pm »

I started up a fort near a necromancer tower for some fun times, sadly I do believe the tower to be a ded, as this world has no goblins (cause reasons and modifications) I'll have to just be aggressive to some trading partners for funsies c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34834 on: June 07, 2014, 10:15:10 pm »

Well, two unarmed fallens managed to take down a lizard brute and a lizard demon with absolutely no wounds at all. More testing required.
EDIT: I have concluded that only the Smoky Quartz Fiends are to be truly feared. THEY CAN BASH BRONZE COLOSSI TO DEATH. DO NOT ENGAGE THEM IN COMBAT. DROP FLOORS ON THEM.

How long till these Fallens and Risens are available to the public? I'd love to have this super overpowered race at my hands.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34835 on: June 07, 2014, 10:30:37 pm »

End year 04;

Became a barony.  Gave the honor to my broker, who fanagled some tough deals with limited/unconventional goods, such as coffins and slabs.  I finally got the upper farms drained and the dumbass miner blood out of my waterfall, although a miner skeleton is still floating about the cistern.

2ambushes and a Cyclops in and 6 dead, 13 wounded and recovered.  A gobo got jawed by a reindeer before his mates chopped it up and my militia commander is a named hero already.

All of my cats are dead; for some reason merlock thieves keep cutting them up.
Started my dingo breeding program, and ran out of fuel despite a fuckton on furnace operators and butluminous coal.  Lazy punks.

All in all a lazy fort with nothing on itsprior (from the same civ).  There is still a were elephant trained soldier out there somewhere.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34836 on: June 07, 2014, 11:00:50 pm »

my legendary stonecrafter just went into strange mood, I was worried since he's my source of trade material and I had no metal bars which he required..the merchants who were here had one metal bar with them. he is saved. :D

He made a marble amulet which he named "Taughtfriends the Odorous Trades.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34837 on: June 08, 2014, 02:07:37 am »

Visited by a bronze colossus I'm really not prepared for. No traps that can handle it, and too many dwarves were stuck outside for me to be willing to just seal the fort. So I threw my entire military at it.

I have 10 melee dwarves and 8 marksdwarves, but with one exception they're using iron weapons and bone bolts, so all they're good for is distractions. The lone exception is the militia commander. She's got a mithril sword (from Masterwork. Basically a lighter steel).

It's it's like one of those fight dust clouds from cartoons; impossible to tell what's going on, and occasionally a dwarf goes flying out of it, only to dive back in (or in one unfortunate case, splatter against the mountainside). Most of them are hungry, thirsty and unhappy, while the commander is slowly denting and fracturing every piece of the colossus.

They were still going at it when I quit, though she's managed to sever both its arms and a leg, so there's hope at least.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34838 on: June 08, 2014, 02:23:15 am »

Caught a dragon in a trap, and am trying to plan out a pillbox/fire funnel for future goblin roasting (anybody bring the marshmallows?).

Had a double ambush come through my fort and managed to lose 2 dudes, although I now have 2 snatchers and 7 goblin fighters to train my military on. I think I'll try stationing the squad before issuing the attack order to ensure it's not just one dwarf vs goblin pike lord or whatever. Maybe that will help to train everyone fairly.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34839 on: June 08, 2014, 04:11:21 am »

So after a battle that lasted most of the season, the bronze colossus was slain.

A dog scratched its head off.
I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that.

I only lost a single dwarf, though most of the rest have broken bones. At least none of the survivors have dipped below very unhappy, so will hopefully not get any tantruming soldiers.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34840 on: June 08, 2014, 07:38:49 am »

HAHA YEP

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34841 on: June 08, 2014, 08:37:51 am »

How long till these Fallens and Risens are available to the public? I'd love to have this super overpowered race at my hands.

All I have to do is tweak a few things and make sure everything works, as well as transfer everything to its own file.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34842 on: June 08, 2014, 01:47:12 pm »

Since this post is unrelated to the last one...

I've engraved more stuff. Apparently someone whose first name was Ago killed another person whose first name was Ago. The killer was a necromancer and the kill-ee was one of TF52's demons. Only the Smoky Quartz Fiends are truly dangerous to fallens; other ones are just giant coinstar rooms.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34843 on: June 08, 2014, 04:08:18 pm »

So a recent Terrifying thread impelled me to generate another terrifying fort. I may have hit the jackpot with this embark, so much so that I may start a community fort for it.

My previous fort had armored civilians, a two-story pasture in the third cavern, an obsidian farm, a watering system, and a wheel generator under construction nearby. But my achilles heel was that I lost control of the surface. Zombies seized the surface when I only had two dozen dwarves. Since it was a flat surface, there were no hills to assist me in building a bait hall. Eventually children took over my population. Even though we had slain and disposed a forgotten beast, the productivity dropped too much.

This fort is different. I raised the embark points to build a nice big roof hall over the wagon. My first two wildlife spawns were zombie Swans, which move very slowly similar to wolverines. There is scarce live vegetation on the surface, which allowed my grazers to survive until I pierced the aquifer. There is surprisingly silver, tetrahedrite, and gold all within the first ten z-levels. The metal will help once I convert my four migrant access tunnels into bait halls. Sure, there is an unknown "Evil Dust" that sweeps the map, and every inch is reanimation enabled. But what's not to love?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34844 on: June 08, 2014, 04:15:25 pm »

So I'm making plans to build my first magma pump stack. got a plan going, got a rough draft of the materials needed, etc.

Currently the dwarves are digging out a reservoir and dumping the stone so the reservoir can be filled soon. Apparently I chose a poor place for a garbage dump, as the dwarves were taking the stone and tossing it off the ledge right next to the dump and back into the reservoir. This led to some incidents.

The first time a gabbro boulder dumped by a hauler dwarf from above struck a brewer in the leg, bruising it.

The second time a gabbro boulder struck a farmer in the leg, fracturing it. If I hadn't fixed my mistake I imagine the third time someone would get a boulder crashing through their skull.

Our manager is recovering the wounded and now we have a reason to furnish the hospital.

In other news, my manager/bookkeeper/broker is apparently "completely disorganized." Ha. Best dwarf for managing, then.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2321 2322 [2323] 2324 2325 ... 3842