Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2322 2323 [2324] 2325 2326 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100347 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34845 on: June 08, 2014, 06:32:50 pm »

A necromancer showed up in the first winter with three zombies. I had no equipment for my military. While my mob of unarmed peasants killed the zombies, they were slowly killed by a tantrum spiral.

I'm going to try to reclaim this fort to see if I can get a military up in time.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34846 on: June 08, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »

Got through two more years on the hermitish fort. The two oldest grandchildren of my foundress are eight and nine years old, so four more years to go before i can try marrying them off. A clay wall was built all around the settlement and the watercannon autonomously killed eleven animals (invaders are off). The _other_ half of the fort, the underground settlement is ticking along on autopilot. They have about 18 000 booze, 10 000 meals and untold sets of clothing. The first-wave dwarfs have their own bedrooms, which are quite large and of course completely filled with old clothes. My mayor owns 104 items, 90 of which are discarded old clothes filling her rooms wall to wall.
If we hit the 140 population count before FPS get too bad, we might try re-opening trade with the mountainhomes to attract the queen. Our civ has a human queen and i've never had a non-dwarven monarch on site.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34847 on: June 08, 2014, 08:11:18 pm »

A necromancer showed up in the first winter with three zombies.

At least you had 3 one. One of my sieges had one zombie and only one. Another fort was sieged by a clown necromancer also who proceeds to kill his minions that he brings with him. He also had a thing for goblins also... no humans, dwarfs, elves, etc. that he sieged with or at the town he ruled.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34848 on: June 08, 2014, 08:31:14 pm »

I just mined directly into the side of the Magma Sea (yes, I know, an incredibly dumb thing to do given the "warm stone" warnings)... and survived unscathed!

It was the strangest thing... despite the near-impossibility of micro-managing Dwarves during an emergency, I was able to use a combination of traffic designations, cancelled jobs and new jobs to route the lucky Legendary Miner around the spreading Magma leak, into the (very short) corridor leading to my stairwell, and build an emergency wall to close off the corridor JUST before the flood of Magma arrived. He didn't even end up setting his !!Underwear!! on fire. No casualties, and no damage except a dead-end corridor full of Magma.

I'm still in mild shock from the fact that nobody got hurt.
Never pet a burning dog.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34849 on: June 08, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »

I just mined directly into the side of the Magma Sea (yes, I know, an incredibly dumb thing to do given the "warm stone" warnings)... and survived unscathed!

It was the strangest thing... despite the near-impossibility of micro-managing Dwarves during an emergency, I was able to use a combination of traffic designations, cancelled jobs and new jobs to route the lucky Legendary Miner around the spreading Magma leak, into the (very short) corridor leading to my stairwell, and build an emergency wall to close off the corridor JUST before the flood of Magma arrived. He didn't even end up setting his !!Underwear!! on fire. No casualties, and no damage except a dead-end corridor full of Magma.

I'm still in mild shock from the fact that nobody got hurt.

You sir, are a wizard.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34850 on: June 08, 2014, 09:33:53 pm »

Hammerflickered just had a couple megabeast visits. A forgotten beast appeared in the third cavern layer, some giant bug with deadly spittle. It may have to be dealt with so we can access the magma pipe. At the moment the cavern is sealed off.

Then a giant appeared as the dwarf caravan was just packing up and leaving. A rookie macedwarf from the fort's soldiers ran out to fight the giant alone and got knocked into a murky pool for his troubles. While he was crawling back out the giant had reached the fort entrance and got charged by the caravan guards and Hammerflickered's two founding hammerdwarves. It became a mad rush to see who could kill the giant first, the no name filthy casual caravan guard or the glorious troops of the fort.

In the end, the militia captain and head of the hammer squad called "The Mechanical Arms" claimed the kill. Stakud Glovedoor brought the giant down with a strike from her copper warhammer to the giant's foot, chipping the bone and causing the giant to give in to pain. Then it was two more swift flicks of her hammer and before anyone else got another chance, the giant's head was pulp.

So ends the life of the Giant Od Sweetcastle. Another notch on Stakud Glovedoor's hammer.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34851 on: June 08, 2014, 09:42:24 pm »

The _other_ half of the fort, the underground settlement is ticking along on autopilot. They have about 18 000 booze, 10 000 meals and untold sets of clothing.
If we hit the 140 population count before FPS get too bad, we might try re-opening trade with the mountainhomes to attract the queen. Our civ has a human queen and i've never had a non-dwarven monarch on site.

Curious. Are you running a dual-fort? I think I'm reading it correctly, but I'm not sure.

ELF-rhymer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34852 on: June 09, 2014, 12:51:26 am »

After the first goblin siege that we faced through fortifications with a good supply of +bone bolts+, we placed some cage traps around the entrance.

Next siege arrived half a year later, ending up with 12 filled cages of raw goblinite. As we found it a little bit boring to process goblinite purification manually (by dumping items from cages), we decided to setup a training room for military.

A special !!Scientific!! room was built, separated in half with a fortified wall.
Marksdwarves were stationed on one side of the wall, raw caged goblinite was placed inside the bridge-enclosed room behind the fortifications. Lever was pulled, to release the flow of goblinite.

Seconds after, Squad leader armed with legendary artifact crossbow got shot in his head, and departed to the MountainHomes of Armok's Heaven.
A horde of haulers tryed to enter the room immediately being scared off by armored goblins behind the fortifications. Military fled, room was sealed, now we are planning to make this a drowning chamber, or try to do a cave-in into that small room.

Another pack of goblins were spotted outside, paired with some trolls, so...

Seems like now we are running the siege on a small goblin fortress inside a dwarf fortress sieged by goblins. We would need a caravan from MountainHomes to arrive and close this loop. They will try to fight goblins, which are trying to siege dwarves, who are trying to siege goblins within their own fortress...
"So the merchants arrive to see blood and vomit everywhere, us hauling corpses en masse to the graveyard, a couple rampaging elephants

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!"

DwarfFortress Boatmurdered.
Part 17 by StarkRavingMad.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34853 on: June 09, 2014, 03:00:07 am »

The _other_ half of the fort, the underground settlement is ticking along on autopilot. They have about 18 000 booze, 10 000 meals and untold sets of clothing.

Curious. Are you running a dual-fort? I think I'm reading it correctly, but I'm not sure.

Basically, it's a sort of hermit fort - just preserved sanity by separating the non-hermits and setting it up so they'd survive indefinitely with minimal maintenance. And the hermit is a married dwarf, together with three own and two foster children, seeing if i could grow a proper population out of them. Artefacts and invaders are switched off (with one adult and no pick, defence against serious aggressions would've been quite unrealistic).

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #34854 on: June 09, 2014, 03:34:50 am »

Today i discovered adamantine in the third year of my fort. I embarked on a volcano with a tower nearby. I'm having my second undead siege, and suddenly I get two popups: "You have discovered a great magma sea" and "Raw adamantine, praise the miners!". I found this notification quite odd, because I hadn't even breached the second cave layer. After I killed/captured every zombie, I went back to check on the adamantine, to notice something completely hilarious. One of my woodworkers fell down into the volcano after being attacked by zombies, and he somehow survived long enough to discover adamantine and the magma sea. This fort's probably going to die because of a tantrum spiral, so i won't be able to dig it out, but it still is funny.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34855 on: June 09, 2014, 07:22:06 am »

Well this is amusing. I was wondering why the kobold ambushes that came in and promptly decimated by the undead horde weren't being animated, so I went into the units list and zoomed to the necromancer. He apparently decided the quickest way across the map was down into the river, at the map edge, where the water is more shallow.

He is now sitting in fluctuating water, 5 to 7 deep and can't seem to move at all.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34856 on: June 09, 2014, 08:23:01 am »

clown necromancer
Mod? That can't happen in vanilla.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34857 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:55 pm »

Mod? That can't happen in vanilla.
[/quote]

No.  This is not modable behavior.  There are days where I feel like the majority of shit posted in these forums is fabricated from whole cloth.  I can't wrap my mind around why people want to lie about this stuff. 

I mean, this is basically a paraphrase of something I posted here... god... five years ago?  ten?  but:  Who are you trying to impress?  A bunch of nerdy roguelike players?  There is nothing of value to gain by falsifying these stories.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34858 on: June 09, 2014, 12:36:42 pm »

The only logical way to accomplish clown necromancers is by ripping the creatures from the game's own data, turning them into a creature and civilization with all the things that enable necromancy.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34859 on: June 09, 2014, 12:51:40 pm »

Axemoth has celebrated its 14th year of living in cavern 3 with the arrival of the queen.  Both the duchess (who is also the mayor) and the queen have no item preferences at all.  I've gone 10 years without a mandate, and I dont see it changing any time soon.  My 12 melee dwarves have gotten so strong that sieges are trivial and more of an annoyance over how much cleanup will be involved afterword (no traps at all in the fort except a few scattered in cavern 3 for wildlife capture).  All 3 caverns are linked, so any forgotten beasts that spawn come right to me.  At this point, the only things that are a threat to the fort are a dangerous fb material/syndrome combo or the clowncar.  As such, I've just started exploring the magma seas to find sources of candy.  It will be my first time intentionally causing a breach, this should be fun.
Pages: 1 ... 2322 2323 [2324] 2325 2326 ... 3842