Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2291 2292 [2293] 2294 2295 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097102 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34380 on: April 27, 2014, 09:50:16 am »

Good luck. Don't forget to record the biome, because it changes grass growth.

I am generating a custom world now with max subregions set at 5000. That should give a wide selection of biomes per embark site. The worlden spinner is mad at me though. This could take awhile.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34381 on: April 27, 2014, 09:51:23 am »

I think the most practical solution for that is to have it dumped and then reclaim it after the miner gets another pickaxe.
Either that or temporarily turn off his mining labor.
First one doesn't work because artifacts can't be dumped. Second one worked, thanks.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34382 on: April 27, 2014, 09:58:35 am »

I think you should use perfect world DF. You can actually choose rainfall, volcanism etc directly. So you can actually select the biome and where it appears on the map.
The only thing you have to set is TEMPERATURE:0:0:0:0.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34383 on: April 27, 2014, 10:06:57 am »

and miss out on the joy of the RNG?  Naww.

after only 4000 rejections, worldgen is now commencing with history generation. I flavored the world up a little, which is why so many rejections happened. (Reduced X and Y variance for elevation, radically increased caves, titan, and semi-mega pops, et al.)

Gonna let this run out a nice long history phase. 

if I cant get a good site for the experiment, I will keep the world just for playing on-- then do perfect world. but only if I cant find a good site.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34384 on: April 27, 2014, 11:57:07 am »

The True Flame came, but nothing is as I expected.

Firstly, the True Flame and his consort are both goblins. This means I can't assign them anything. All that platinum, going to waste. On the plus side, this means they don't have to eat or drink, meaning I can burrow them in their bedroom and wall them in. MY FORTRESS WILL NEVER FALL AND MY KING IS IMMORTAL.
Secondly, they came with ALL THEIR LORDS AND LADIES, PLUS CONSORTS. Luckily though, they don't need anything.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I CAN CAGE MY GOBLIN NOBLES? WELP LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING TO STICK MY KING AND QUEEN IN A WELL-FURNISHED (NOT) PLATINUM CAGE.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:16:38 pm by TheFlame52 »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34385 on: April 27, 2014, 01:39:08 pm »

IDEA: If possible, have the cage held by a chain over your highest-traffic areas, so they can watch their citizens do whatever.
Also, I should dump goblin clothing more often. I had 814 lying around, not including armor, which will be melted promptly. To put that quantity in perspective, my fort has about 1600 spaces to store stuff. That was half useless clothing, since the fallen angels are human-sized. I used a golden drawbridge to crush them, to boot.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34386 on: April 27, 2014, 02:08:54 pm »

My dwarfs seem to think that everything loves meat when being tamed. The camels eat it, the rabbits eat it, and other grazers are fed meat.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34387 on: April 27, 2014, 03:19:17 pm »

Tanner threw a tantrum. Grabbed the expedition leader and bit his lower back teeth out.

Expedition leader tried to report it to the sheriff but Sheriff ignored him.
such is life
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34388 on: April 27, 2014, 03:41:31 pm »

Another go at corrosion. Last time I got almost exclusively firefighter caste founders, this time it's more balanced out with many excellent fighting castes besides the fightfighters alone. Unfortunately one is a strict carnivore, a member of the Berserker caste. But we also got a former soldier.

The terrain is considerably more favorable than last time, with more plentiful forest to build defenses from. Gonna have to sacrifice a little drink for weapons in the event of an early attack like last time and I'll be short on ammo, but two people ready and able to beat an enemy into paste could go a loooooooong way. There's a flowing stream nearby anyway, so only office workers will be readily affected by that.

The terrain also favors slightly more varied crops, being warm enough to support wheat and turnips without being too hot. Wheat and Barely bread are bound to be the staple of the town. A breeding trio of goats and and one of chickens will  provide a handy supply of eggs and cheese (I modded more common domestic birds to have higher egg yields; they're bred for that crap after all,)which should placate any berserkers. We won't be able to really sow any crops until the following year though I'm sure.

All in all though, my hopes are high. Maybe Shinedown will fare better than Fallenrock.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34389 on: April 27, 2014, 05:04:55 pm »

I've been so absorbed in building a large magma reservoir (capacity 34,300 units) and getting it filled that I didn't even notice one of my masons getting and failing a fey mood until they found his dehydrated corpse. Oh well, I've got 39 other artifacts. I think we'll manage.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34390 on: April 27, 2014, 05:08:08 pm »

Wait, I thought it paused whenever a mood began?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34391 on: April 27, 2014, 05:15:21 pm »

Possible he just didn't pay attention. I've ignored moods cause I thought they were births only to have a guy snap and try to kill someone a few months/weeks later

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34392 on: April 27, 2014, 05:20:41 pm »

I love the [NOT_LIVING] tag.
Everyone in my fort is at 100 happiness no matter what happens to them.
I could lock a baby in a room full of armed goblins and nobody would bat an eye.
That, and I have tons of time to make sure a mood goes through.
But yeah, births happen far too often sometimes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34393 on: April 27, 2014, 06:20:58 pm »

I love the [NOT_LIVING] tag.
Everyone in my fort is at 100 happiness no matter what happens to them.
I could lock a baby in a room full of armed goblins and nobody would bat an eye.
That, and I have tons of time to make sure a mood goes through.
But yeah, births happen far too often sometimes.
Are you still doing the ice fort? How is it going?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34394 on: April 27, 2014, 07:27:50 pm »

Nothing too terrible has happened.
Lots of dead forgotten beasts and a few rotting animals who are still alive.
Any goblin siege will be turned into pincushions by my crack squad of archers.
EDIT: A quick bit of trivia about the fallen angels. They use character 129, which is "ü", to distinguish them from the normal-character humans, elves, goblins, and kobolds, who use stuff easily accessible from the average keyboard. Say, TheFlame, what character do you use for your fire imps? I'm assuming "i", but I may be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 2291 2292 [2293] 2294 2295 ... 3842