Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2290 2291 [2292] 2293 2294 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097085 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34365 on: April 26, 2014, 05:43:00 pm »

Extend the duct out one more tile?  You could also fill the gap with something that doesn't provide a support (floodgates, bridges, etc)
I suppose if I hadn't already filled the duct, I could have extended it out with bridges. I can't build any farther, though, because the whole thing's at the edge of the no-build zone at the edge of the map.

I could also build, hook up, and raise another fifty drawbridges along the top of the wall. It would work. Good golly, though, I don't wanna have to do that. I'll probably just double-check my fort entrances and cross my fingers.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34366 on: April 26, 2014, 05:48:33 pm »

You could also make an area for a pool at the area where the leakage drops. A magma pool.
And then, with extreme !!Engineering!!, have the magma drain into another area and have it pumped back up, because logic.

Newtons.Bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34367 on: April 26, 2014, 06:26:41 pm »

What's going on in my fort?  Nameless dwarf corpses have filled up all 50 of my coffins and my metalsmiths are struggling to keep up with the demand.

Yes, we use lead coffins for undead critters.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34368 on: April 26, 2014, 08:51:40 pm »

So I'm going to ask this, and possibly feel REAAAAALLY sheepish in just a few minutes.

If I have ice frozen over in, say, a river, I can excavate it, move it inside, and let it melt for a water source, right?

If  I can do that and I let my hospital go 10 years with no water in the winter because I wasn't smart enough to think of this......
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34369 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:05 pm »

So...Ownrag just had a possessed dorf make quite possibly the most useless artifact I've had...which is saying something because I've had some useless ones, like a pair of trousers with the image of a pig tail fiber sock.

We have no iron ores native, so all iron comes from melting stuff down. And what does he make? An iron mini-forge. Thanks, dude, for wasting some of our only iron bars on your stupid mini-forge.

What would happen if I melt it?
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34370 on: April 26, 2014, 09:21:28 pm »

So I'm going to ask this, and possibly feel REAAAAALLY sheepish in just a few minutes.

If I have ice frozen over in, say, a river, I can excavate it, move it inside, and let it melt for a water source, right?

If  I can do that and I let my hospital go 10 years with no water in the winter because I wasn't smart enough to think of this......

When a boulder of ice melts, it just leaves a small puddle of water. Not even enough to make water 1/7 deep.

The melted water will be considered a contaminant, and cannot be used.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #34371 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:14 pm »

My fortress has only a full bedroom for the mayor but despite this, migrants apparently see perfection in a hole in the ground and have come in waves almost every half-hour.  Then they breed nonstop so that the game pauses every few seconds to center on their little parasites, and my handle on running the new fortress continues to slip regularly.  There's just over 220 of them and it keeps increasing; I had that many dwarves in my last fort after about 10 years, not 5.  Just stop with the babies so that I can finish the dining hall and not have to worry about a lack of drinks and tallow biscuits!  ???

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34372 on: April 26, 2014, 09:59:42 pm »

Hey, my fort has 272 citizens as of year 6.
We're the capitol.
THERE ARE PILES OF BABIES AND CHILDREN.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34373 on: April 26, 2014, 10:43:28 pm »

What would happen if I melt it?

Don't think you can melt down artifacts. Can send it to the bridge for destruction though. With the maker.

EDIT

In the lovely corrosion mod settlement of Fallenrock, a group of common thugs decided to raid the place the first year. I being lucky and partly thinking ahead, got a man with a crossbow and bolts for the summer migrants, and brought two bronze crowbars to ward off wildlife.

The group was lead by a nondescript hammerwoman who used a small clawhammer to beat an herbalist to death just outside the settlement, the death witnessed by a carpenter working on erecting a simple palisade to keep things out. This Herbalist was given the name of Tina Flores. Her Husband, Kennith Flores the thresher, didn't respond well to his wife's murder. So he grabbed a crowbar and a nearby fellow named Andrew, and the recent arrival with the crossbow, a man named Levi, and proceeded to lead them to where his wife had died. At this point, the trio had the settlement's only weapons besides the two shovels and hatchets that were in use by other workers and were outnumbered roughly 5-1, as the group attacking was 16 strong.

Andrew proceeded to kill one intruder in a oneshot and hold two others at bay while Kennith took out another with a couple blows to the body (shattering multiple ribs each time,) and a headshot. He then targeted the hammerwoman (by sheer dumb luck as there were three other available targets,) and after disarming her with a counterstrike, proceeded to beat her to death slowly and horribly, effectively rendering her down to a vaguely human-shaped bag of meat after breaking so many bones before killing her. Levi meanwhile, had fired several shots into the fight, hitting the two attacking Andrew twice apiece (thug 1 got a bolt to the foot and gut, 2 got shot in their weapon arm and in their right shin,) and missing twice completely. Thug 2 proceeded to pass out due to pain from chipped arm and leg bones and got her head smashed in by Andrew, while Thug 1 was attacked from the side by Kennith, whereupon he got similar treatment to the hammerwoman before Kennith got the killshot.

By this point due to several casualties and thier leader dying, the bulk are running for their lives. Andrew chased one down, hooking his leg which lead to a second round of two on one crowbar beatings and a crossbowbolt for added insult before Andrew finished him with a kick to the head. We now have many steel-varient and bronze beating implements to arm the community with, but we've also lost a recent arrival and the only decent herbalist to boot. Kennith is unhappy of course, but he has gained enough skill to become a maceman rather than recruit with stupidly good luck.

To combat his sadness, there's already a small eatery set up with plenty of dingo-based stews and roasts (A pack of dingos picked a fight with a trio of local alligators. Ended as well as you'd expect for them, used autodump to retrieve the corpses for meat,) along with plentiful barely bread, an ok amount of vodka and beer left from initial embark and a well for when that runs out already set up. He's also been given a private cot in the bunk house to slightly soften the blow. Plus he got a good thought for the kills he made.

All in all, could have been way worse and the simple dumb luck of the enemy commander dying and more than half of the enemy troops lagging behind may have been what stopped a total party kill from happening. At least come the next round, the pallisade will be up and they'll be fighting on our terms, and next time Levi won't be the only one firing into them.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34374 on: April 27, 2014, 09:10:57 am »

So a while ago I posted about a kobold sneaking into my animal pens. Well, it happened again, but this time I didn't have any singe deer in there. So this kobold gets torn apart by war dogs, black bears, and even my tame GCS.

In other news, a farmer got possessed and made a naked mole dog bone buckler, so I'm going ahead and making that ceremonial squad.

I've also decided to attract the True Flame. I've got a bedroom full of platinum furniture for him already.

EDIT: One of the weapons is a bone pick, but I can't get the miner to drop it. Does anyone know how to force him?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:26:31 am by TheFlame52 »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34375 on: April 27, 2014, 09:36:31 am »

I think the most practical solution for that is to have it dumped and then reclaim it after the miner gets another pickaxe.
Either that or temporarily turn off his mining labor.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34376 on: April 27, 2014, 09:38:40 am »

Welp, a crash took most of my work and my lucky win. Second go ended with Fallenrock trashed by a hail of handgun rounds and a guy with a sledge hammer.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34377 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:24 am »

Getting ready to start a science experiment to answer the "tiles of grass needed for X animal" thread's question, in an exhaustive fashion.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34378 on: April 27, 2014, 09:42:28 am »

Some random person underwent a mood and made a schist armor stand.
On a completely unrelated note, I should probably finish the queen's quarters.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34379 on: April 27, 2014, 09:43:35 am »

Good luck. Don't forget to record the biome, because it changes grass growth.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 2290 2291 [2292] 2293 2294 ... 3842