Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2293 2294 [2295] 2296 2297 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097078 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34410 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:00 pm »

It could also be linked with additional 4bit decoders to create some more complicated logic gates/ mixed with some hard wired logic to create an instruction word store for a more complicated CPU.

If one so desired.

A useful addition would be an XOR sieve with 16 inputs that produces a 4bit binary output, with sanity check.

(when presented with 16 corridors with pressure plates, which plate does Gobbo McGoblin depress after entering the corridor? Being able to determine, then fire appropriate logic gates could lead to whole new levels of automated FUN)

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34411 on: April 28, 2014, 06:51:18 pm »

A seven-year-old girl just walked near my fort and immediately became possessed.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34412 on: April 28, 2014, 10:01:40 pm »

A seven-year-old girl just walked near my fort and immediately became possessed.

Obviously, your fort is haunted.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34413 on: April 28, 2014, 10:07:02 pm »

Obviously, your fort is haunted.

Could be worse somehow.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34414 on: April 28, 2014, 11:32:46 pm »

Might not be done, but this is what's happening in mine. It's starting.

EDIT so far so good. Got a small barracks and eating space to stock ready to eat food and drink. Found just a dead dog and yak and a wagon laden with empty barrels and bags and some tools. Was expecting some kind of disastrous aquifer plug remains on this reclaim to be honest.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34415 on: April 29, 2014, 09:49:25 am »

My perpetual-motion minecart grinder has proved functional, but not totally satisfactory: while goblins get flattened very reliably, large stuff has to be ground by piecemeal pushes with little momentum. Loading some boulders into the carts improves momentum on the first collision, but a forgotten beast disrupts the course badly enough that the cargo and thus most of the momentum is lost; when the cart circulates at derail/shotgun speed. Consequently, it looks like the best way to cart large creatures apart is massive load and rollers. Rollers are guaranteed non-derail and a metal cart loaded with native gold weighs ten tons, enough to push aside and keep pinned even demons. If they get pushed, they can't use their building destroyer ability.

Due to some init switches, it seems we got no invaders in autumn for further tests; and only one of the three remaining forgotten beasts could find a path into the grinder - it's in the third cavern level, and the passages in there are badly clogged with bloodthorns. Nonetheless, 1047 dead units, ~900 of which hostiles, all without a military; less than ten fortress members got killed.

PS: another forgotten beast found its way into one of the grinders. It works a bit slowly, but it works. A siege showed up around the change of year, testing the surface bonemill. Trolls are held up by the hatches, which is useful, because they're best at clogging up the system. It's generally prone to get jammed by too many (living) bodies: the cart'll sit on the adjacent square and keeps trying to accelerate into the troll/goblin/beast, providing rather weak pushes. The cart won't completely stop and it keeps doing damage, but it's bound up and other units can walk around it. I'll have to upgrade the minecarts from copper to platinum, that ought to help. The chain of three grinders took out the entire 49 strong siege, but i had to oversee it and switch the surrounding bridges twice to re-path the gang. The foremost trolls might have gotten out of the grinders and into the fort proper otherwise.

Assessment: works, but not optimal. Motorised grinders are better.

While waiting for the siege, i fiddled with the self-regulated minecart repeater and have made the so far smallest spike-capable single-plate design:
Code: [Select]
╔═▼╗   S═¢S        #╔#
╚═▼╝   ╚^▼╝        #╚#
Track  Buildings  z-1
S - medium friction track stop
¢ - hatch cover linked to output pressure plate ^
The plate gets re-activated 42 steps after turning off, a large enough time window for spikes to be receptive for the next signal. Total repeat time is 145 steps. A few off the optimum, but with such a design, less than 144 total wouldn't be possible anyway.

When the hatch cover is open, the cart cycles through the up/down closed loop to the right, when it closes, it passes over the hatch in the next round, around the left half-loop, over the pressure plate (opening the hatch again) and back into the pit. Takes 4x2 tiles above and at least 3x2 below, possibly more (diagonal movement could cause the cart to jump off to the nw/sw, i haven't tried).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:10:16 pm by Larix »

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34416 on: April 29, 2014, 02:25:31 pm »

Precision surgery in the fortress of Malignsleeved:

I can't remember why I thought that legendary axedwarf would be good for a doctor, but he has the largest number of surgeries on the resident permanent-rotten-sternum dwarf and now I know why he's such and awesome doctor :D

In the same fort, en evil elite marksman that always hits at around the same level of the body, note this is the SAME marksman, 4 dwarfs were not able to sit on a chair for a month that year :D ; more ironically, the nightwing didn't manage to kill any of the silly dwarfs that ignored the burrow orders :

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:32:34 pm by MerkerBenson »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34417 on: April 29, 2014, 02:34:19 pm »

Maybe they were mooning him?

The world may never know...

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34418 on: April 29, 2014, 04:23:55 pm »

Planning to do an alternate-universe test of what would happen from this point on if the fallen angels could emote. As in not just me quite content. As in remove the [NOT_LIVING] tag for a moment.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34419 on: April 29, 2014, 08:41:36 pm »

I'm about to do my first hellbreach (that the fortress in question is actually intended to survive). Preparations are underway as we speak. Some interesting stats for those concerned: The fort is in its 11th year and I have 52 militia members, most of whom have trained themselves up to legendary without the use of danger rooms through creative live-training and the patrol duty bugfix in DFhack.

Anyway, here are the preparations I've got underway.
-Clown Kebab (Currently being expanded; a series of masterwork iron spears linked to a lever that can be pulled on repeat. My primary line of defense.)
-D.O.G.E. (Dog Operated Gratuitous Explosive) Device (Completed, but needs to be redone; I put it at the start of my defensive corridor where it should be at the end to be used as a last-ditch delaying tactic. Yes, it's a cage full of 50 war dogs.)
-Hellbunker (Planned: A fortification for marksdwarves to fire from. Will contain an area for dousing selves and is sealed from the inside. Will eventually become a permanently occupied guard position while the hell colony is being constructed if we survive)
-Staging Area (Planned: where the militia will stand around to dispatch anyone who makes it through the corridors, if any. Has trenches filled with water for dousing)
-Floor Grates (Under Construction: Reduce spread of dangerous contaminants, hopefully)
-Magma Purge (Planned: manually pumps magma into the defensive area to burn contaminants away following the initial breach. Will remove the Clown Kebab, but after the initial wave it shouldn't be necessary)

I estimate that we can be ready within a year or so if everything goes smoothly. After the breach, if I survive, it's time to build a satellite fort in hell, make it self sufficient and seal it off to serve as my backup. A device to dump captured goblins/elves/humans into hell would also do nicely - I haven't used cage traps at all yet as I've been focusing on running a large militia instead. Perhaps securing the caverns with a boatload of walls would make a nice project after that? The fortress is currently just pointlessly large, capable to sustaining the entire dwarven race (there's less than 400 of them so it's not that impressive), raining bolts on invaders from basically anywhere on the map, and so on. I guess I could roof the map, although that would probably kill my framerate as I'd create to many mined out tiles/constructions.
The best part is, while I'm discussing doing all of this, I haven't created a workshop space beyond my smithy. In 11 years. All my workshops are still scattered around the map within my defensive palisade in no particular order. It's goddamn ridiculous.

Anyway, wish me luck! I think after over a year of learning I'm finally going to clear the closest thing DF has to a boss beyond the growing sense of ennui and collapsing framerate.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34420 on: April 29, 2014, 09:10:19 pm »

Blamelesscloister, Winter 95/Spring 96 (35th year of the fort finished):

We didn't feel the need to do anything spectacular, so just cleaned up the fort a bit: all the remains of the last sieges were hauled away, all their metal gear was molten down, and the ~5k worth of garbage dropped by dead elfs brought to the depot and dumped on top of it. We later pawned it off to the dwarven caravan. Two kobolds tried to sneak in with the dwarven caravan, which didn't work too well. Both were kicked to death by draft animals.

We dismantled the aquarium in the meeting hall and put it into a circulating minecart, releasable via lever. Unfortunately, no worthy opponents showed up in winter (the leading minecart got from 343 to 349 kills; we got five thieves and a single ambush squad, which apparently ran away after two were killed), so we just released it anyway. The cage was full of ice [10] and stray animal corpses, but the results were less than impressive - the cage flew right through the second fortification and only released its load when it hit the far wall. One grizzly was deconstructed, all other inhabitants survived without serious harm:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We switched the minecart grinder off and let the animals back into the fort.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34421 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:09 pm »

I've got a FB shaped like a fox made of Variscite That spews webs sitting in my first level caverns. I want to sic one of the husks fighting each other on the surface, but they're too preoccupied to end up in my cage traps. Shame since I wanted to kill the other FB with a poisonous sting, by testing out my marksdwarves.

In other news I'm a cheating bastard and have most of my children apprenticed off. I had the adults all socialize to spawn another baby wave. Out of 7 artifacts only two are useless. No funky beds though, shame about that. Have a fey mood making an eighth one, with lots of cloth in a craftdwarfs workshop.

My evil/good biome fortress spans 27 levels Although only 13 are in active use. Downshifting some of my industries, though the glass making and metalworking ones will stay where they are. I need to re-allocate some stockpiles for trade but not sure how to work through existing infrastructure without totally mucking up my brewing and processing industries.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34422 on: April 30, 2014, 12:17:03 am »

My attempts to pave the edge of the map aren't working. I just don't have enough control when the magma and water can just spill right off the map edge.

So I'm going to pave the whole outer edge manually.

With buckets.

Fortunately I already have an elevated ring of water floating in space that can be used as a water source. All I have to do is build retracting bridges around the whole thing, pour enough magma to get some on a spot on the edge, and dump water on it. It'll be painstakingly tedious. but not difficult, and I'll have precise control. Once I've built a retaining wall of obsidian, I can do a standard casting pour for the rest of the z-level.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34423 on: April 30, 2014, 07:37:10 am »

My captain of the guard punched three of my dwarfes to death. Every single one of them with a single hit. I wonder how this could have happend, as he had no weapon besides his fists and no gauntlets, and he has very average strength and no unarmed wepon skill.

Someone like him could take a whole army of undead on his own I thought. Gave him a complete set of iron armor, and a silver warhammer. Well, the first pair of undead goblins killed him. Crushing his head torugh the *iron helmet*.

Are those undead, which came from the nearby tower, really that strong? The dwarf even had legendary armor user skill.

revenge10111

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34424 on: April 30, 2014, 07:39:12 am »

After I realized I was losing a goblin siege I checked my unit screen to see what was happening and...

One.

One dwarf.

The vampire I'd walled off. Everyone else (100-ish) had died in about a minute while I wasn't even looking.

The good news it's a vampire so she's basically immortal, the bad news is the new ghosts left from the siege, and the old ghosts left from the last siege and ensuing tantrum spiral are haunting her and occasionally ripping off limbs and the rooms full of miasma from her own rotting body parts. JUST as I typed this I got some migrants. I hope they don't want beds 'cause that whole floor's full of cave dragons, wait their ranger just killed those...

Emotional roller coaster this game is. (Still kinda new, I'm not sure I've got the hang of FUN yet)
Pages: 1 ... 2293 2294 [2295] 2296 2297 ... 3842