Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2249 2250 [2251] 2252 2253 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096623 times)

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33750 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:07 am »

Aaaaand another necromancer popped up right next to my previously well guarded corpse stockpile. My fort is being overrun, the guards are dying left and right, my miners are still at work outside, and my Militia Mayor is taking potshots at them from the ramparts.... he better hit the necromancer.

EDIT: Anyone know the DFHack command that turns friendly entities into members of your fort? There's a macedwarf lingering by my borders and I want to put him to some use.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:29:02 am by Beast Tamer »
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33751 on: March 27, 2014, 09:14:36 am »

good news. demons are immune to dragonfire and the fire did not spread to other z lvls, which made a really badass flame decoration.

bad news, my dwarves can see the demon through the fortications which made them cancel their jobs. worse still, one of my elite marksdwarves saw the demon off duty and killed it. the perpetual flamethrower idea still worked in theory, the problem now being how to get a badass looking flame without any of my dwarves seeing the demon.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33752 on: March 27, 2014, 09:42:39 am »

Aaaaand another necromancer popped up right next to my previously well guarded corpse stockpile. My fort is being overrun, the guards are dying left and right, my miners are still at work outside, and my Militia Mayor is taking potshots at them from the ramparts.... he better hit the necromancer.

EDIT: Anyone know the DFHack command that turns friendly entities into members of your fort? There's a macedwarf lingering by my borders and I want to put him to some use.

tweak makeown

tweak fixmigrant will cause trouble (ie. nudity)

My advice would be to wall yourself in and then build a nice deep fort. I always do that when I've got a hoard outside of my fort that I don't want to deal with.

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33753 on: March 27, 2014, 05:14:16 pm »

I am currently building a tower made of pure gold that will have a giant glass bubble which will have magma be pumped into it. A glorified light post.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33754 on: March 27, 2014, 06:01:56 pm »

Just got a notification stating that a wild bugbat gave birth to bugbat pups. In an undiscovered cavern.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33755 on: March 27, 2014, 06:14:12 pm »

I'd been trying to come up with something that could qualify as a division machine. One idea was portioning out the desired amount of water and letting it spread into the appropriate number of tiles (quotient would be water depth), but it turned into a godawful mess. Measuring out precise amounts of water is pretty difficult, moving it into the spreading area without losing any is even more difficult and re-setting the measuring chamber for the next round would be even more heinously tricky. I was so annoyed with the thing that when a miner insisted on drowning himself (stood on the tile to be channelled when expanding the well, so promptly landed in 7/7 water without an adjacent ramp and flat out refused taking digging jobs that would have lowered the water and saved him) i snapped, crashed the game and wiped the save.

After a little thought on the workings of minecart collisions, an option presented itself:

the minecart-collision integrator. Terribly simple.

Observation (surmised previously, empirically proven by this device) for collisions into a standing cart:
v(o) = min {[v(i)*m(i)/m(o)],[v(i)]}

in proper words: when a moving minecart (incoming) crashes into a standing minecart (outgoing), the velocity of the outgoing cart is the product of incoming cart's speed and mass, divided by the outgoing cart's mass. Outgoing speed is capped at incoming speed, collisions will not result in speed increases.

Friction poses a bit of a problem: it seems quite low, at -0,1 mt/s² on engraved track when moving in a straight line, but that translates into a 1% of a tile per step speed lost over the 100 steps measured run-time, which translates into an expected distance loss of 1/2 tile. This is liable to hit collisions with low output speed harder, but needs correcting in any case when you want to use distance travelled as proper output.

In the built machine, the incoming cart comes from ten z-levels above, passes over a pressure plate disengaging a gear assembly driving the whole line of rollers and pushes the outgoing cart that stands two tiles behind the pressure plate. The incoming cart thus comes to rest one tile behind the pressure plate, so the plate will recover 99 steps later. Tests without an outgoing cart and with an almost-same weight cart say the incoming cart would move 112 steps before the rollers re-gained power. That's only by extrapolation, because, as eagle-eyed readers will have spotted right away, this device has only 107 tiles of roller. All rollers sit on "reverse-outwards" track corners; the first active roller will push the cart into the wall directly north (west in the southward branch). The number of tiles the cart has travelled is 112*incoming cart's mass/outgoing cart's mass. By switching incoming and outgoing carts around, a variety of divisions can be performed. Obviously, no result larger than 107 can be produced practically, and no result above 112 theoretically (outgoing speed is capped to never exceed incoming speed). Combining very low incoming and very high outgoing masses results in rather vague results - if a willow cart is used for pushing, the equation is 1680/outgoing cart's mass. You won't see a difference in distance travelled between outgoing masses of 342 (brass) and 357 (copper), because the result will always be an integer number. Using different types of wooden carts as outgoing masses gives nicely distinct results.

Operation speeds far above 1 t/s might cause additional problems, because the cart might be able to take the braking effect of one roller tile and keep going, so it'd be only reflected by the next, giving a false extra tile of distance. They'd also take _very_ long roller chains to measure.

I haven't yet tried changing weights by loading stuff into the carts. It should work correctly, but of course at ~110k speed, the cart contents will fly all over the place all the time. Anyway, i consider the challenge of division conquered.

(Very late edit to meet my standards for a wiki-linked post.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:36:34 pm by Larix »

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33756 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:18 pm »

Aaaaand another necromancer popped up right next to my previously well guarded corpse stockpile.

Yeah I feel that. I learned the hard way that if there is even a slight chance of necro attacks all bodies must be atomsmashed immediately and the stockpile hidden as much as possible from line-of-sight.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33757 on: March 27, 2014, 06:41:51 pm »

Playing with the DAHRNOSAUWRS mod, I had a herd of Torosaurus march through the entryway and into the cage traps. A couple of them got caught, but the others decided to just mill around until a poor dragonman slave (modded playable civ) wandered in to replace one of the cages and started a fight with many animals which are each many, many times his size. He died, horribly, but not before setting the grass in the tunnel on fire and causing several of the offending animals to burn to death. A couple people seemed to like that slave, so they're feeling down. Not expecting anything to come of it, though.

All three of the torosaurus caught in the traps have lost every once of fat on their bodies. Technically, two of them are fit to breed and the second female can at least produce eggs, even if she's not impressive enough to be allowed to reproduce. Four velociraptors were also caught in the traps. Two breeding females from them. Both the males are fatasses, though.

Also, my spellchecker wants to correct "velociraptors" to "velocipedes." Velocipedes sound even more terrifying than velociraptors.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:45:48 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33758 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:50 pm »

Fort was lost to the afromented Necromancer, my Militia mayor managed to survive for a month. Racked up over one hundred kills on undead, took on the name "The Velvet Suits of Attacking", attained legendary in crossbowman and archery, finally killed the necromancer after some maneuvering, then fell to the remaining ten or so zombies when he ran to get more bolts. He still managed to kill six of them before he died.

Moral of the story, if anyone that arrives at my fort carries the first name "Zon" they are immediately getting drafted into the military. I don't care if they're a legendary weaponsmith, that name is now my favorite.

In other news, after I reclaimed said fort two zombies ambushed my yak cows. They quickly rejoined the earth.

In other other news, there are five necromancers milling around the map labelled friendly. Any way I can catch them in cages so I can stick them next to my marksman training tower, dump a couple corpses in there, and get never ending target practice?
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33759 on: March 27, 2014, 08:55:48 pm »

Moral of the story, if anyone that arrives at my fort carries the first name "Zon" they are immediately getting drafted into the military. I don't care if they're a legendary weaponsmith, that name is now my favorite.

Zon was the name of a legendary marksdwarf and militia captain in my fortress of Lovearmors in 40d. Lots of dead orcs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33760 on: March 27, 2014, 09:14:17 pm »

I had a fortress fall to necromancers today. Turns out, the mechanic had never linked up the main gate to the lever.

Anyway, by the end, one dwarf was alive, down in the mines deep beneath the fort, surrounded by corpses. He had been recently drafted into the militia because he had some weapon skills. He took out a quite a few zombies before he was overrun.
The name of this legendary hero okay soldier? Zon. I'm starting to think Toady has hardcoded in something along the lines of
Code: [Select]
IF NAME == "ZON":
    BADASS = TRUE
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33761 on: March 27, 2014, 11:32:56 pm »

Getting back into the game after a long while, aaaaaand my woodcutter got eaten by badgers.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33762 on: March 28, 2014, 05:05:49 am »

Had to go on a DF hiatus for a month to finish a writing project, just started a new fortress in the side of a pretty high volcano yesterday. The plan is to build most of the fortress above the ground level into the flanks of the volcano, though they turned out to be soil to an annoying extent, so I've already had to do a lot of mining just to get sufficient amounts of stone to build with. I've also found warm stone in weird places, which will naturally have to be investigated for fun if nothing else.

But everything has just gone suspiciously well so far. Apart from a couple of carps startling the loggers the wildlife hasn't been hostile, the guard dogs haven't caught any kidnappers or thieves, no goblins or monsters have showed up and nobody has locked himself into the craftdwarf's workshop demanding saffron and letters of attorney as ingredients for their "brilliant idea". I begin to suspect that the volcano is about to errupt... 

Getting back into the game after a long while, aaaaaand my woodcutter got eaten by badgers.

*snicker*
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33763 on: March 28, 2014, 06:25:38 am »

*snicker*
Dem badgers.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33764 on: March 28, 2014, 09:00:56 am »

I had a fortress fall to necromancers today. Turns out, the mechanic had never linked up the main gate to the lever.

Anyway, by the end, one dwarf was alive, down in the mines deep beneath the fort, surrounded by corpses. He had been recently drafted into the militia because he had some weapon skills. He took out a quite a few zombies before he was overrun.
The name of this legendary hero okay soldier? Zon. I'm starting to think Toady has hardcoded in something along the lines of
Code: [Select]
IF NAME == "ZON":
    BADASS = TRUE

That's it, I'm nicknaming all of my dwarves "Zon" and drafting them into my military. Time to see if residual BADASS can rub off onto others.
Pages: 1 ... 2249 2250 [2251] 2252 2253 ... 3842