Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2247 2248 [2249] 2250 2251 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096749 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on isn your fort?
« Reply #33720 on: March 24, 2014, 08:51:35 pm »

apparently demons are immune to dragon fire, so I'm gonna build dragon powered flamethrower to decorate the top of my fort.
Are they? I thought the only true power came from dragon fire, the power no one could stop.

By exception of any poorly trained shield user, that is.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33721 on: March 25, 2014, 06:22:12 am »

Demons may or may not have the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag required for dragonfire immunity, IIRC.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33722 on: March 25, 2014, 07:31:46 am »

Demons may or may not have the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag required for dragonfire immunity, IIRC.
Is that random?
I never fought against many at once... I prefer to set up some bridges and cats to take one out of the rest of the group...
In a time before time, I had a name.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33723 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:18 am »

Only lost four slags to this magma piston A NEW RECORD. Man, I wish ITG would create a "days since last injury" clock.

In other news, got some Giant Elephant Seals. BWAHAHAHAHA. These mosters are bigger than bronze colossi!
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33724 on: March 25, 2014, 02:18:57 pm »

My first fortress that made it past two years got a siege. My militia is currently pounding a cave crocodile with their hands. They've been doing so for five hours in real time. I don't think they'll kill it.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33725 on: March 25, 2014, 03:54:39 pm »

Only lost four slags to this magma piston A NEW RECORD. Man, I wish ITG would create a "days since last injury" clock.

In other news, got some Giant Elephant Seals. BWAHAHAHAHA. These mosters are bigger than bronze colossi!

Hehe, that would actually be pretty doable if you redefine it as a "days since last hospital visit" clock. I'm thinking you'd just set a pressure plate in the hospital doorway which triggers at twice the standard dwarf weight, then use it as a reset trigger for one of the existing clock designs. The idea is the plate will trigger every time a dwarf carries another dwarf through the doorway. Of course, that only works if pressure plates take the weight of a carried dwarf into account, which I've never tested.

Edit: I guess some injured dwarves walk to the hospital, but it's hard to distinguish those guys from the doctors and random loiterers. The walkers are usually victims of minor injuries or syndromes, so let's say for now that they don't count.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33726 on: March 25, 2014, 08:50:03 pm »

itg, perhaps you could stockpile splints/medical supplies in an alcove (from above of course), that would prevent idlers from triggering the plate.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:36:22 pm by KingBacon »
    e    e   e    U   U     
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

zumzz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33727 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10:33 pm »

Ugh. My poor derfs just got surround by a horrible stench. I suppose we embarked a little to closely to a necro tower...I feel badly for the Human caravan that had just arrived.

The fortress was young, but looking good. I suppose there was too much of a focus on industry, rather than military. But can you blame us, when raw adamantine (praise the gods!) was so close?

Thinking about re-embarking on the same location to re-claim the fortress. Should I expect the fortress to be infested with undead? I am thinking of embarking with fighters -- need to fight of any of the undead (if they are around) and reestablish the fortress with a strong military presence. Advice?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33728 on: March 26, 2014, 01:42:01 am »

itg, perhaps you could stockpile splints/medical supplies in an alcove (from above of course), that would prevent idlers from triggering the plate.

That could work, but there's still the problem of doctors and water-givers triggering the plate as they go in and out. Treatment can take months, so that's a real problem.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33729 on: March 26, 2014, 05:48:12 am »

_If_ creatures carrying other creatures gave a weight impulse according to the sum of their weights (i wouldn't expect it to work this way, but you never know before you try), there'd still be the problem of dwarf weights being variable: a heavy-set dwarf passing a plate alone might weigh more than a normal or scrawny dwarf carrying an injured child. Not to mention that dwarfs may sometimes get treated outside the hospital, and nurses also have a habit of "rescuing" dwarfs who got stung by a bee, an event that causes no injuries and never requires treatment.

Hmm, you could try to set up the hospital restock route to trigger your timer - have hospital goods stockpiles close to the hospital but far from everything else, with a one-way path leading into the hospital itself rigged with the timing trigger. You'd be counting "days since last goods movement into hospital stocks". Would be tricky to avoid false positives (faulty use of the restock path) and false negatives (hospital restocked from other sources, bypassing the trigger route).

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33730 on: March 26, 2014, 07:16:59 am »

Noticed one of my dorfs was annoyed at having to give an injured soldier water. The soldier was his wife. What a swell guy!
Then again, their baby was dead because she used it as a shield, so maybe he had cause...

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33731 on: March 26, 2014, 09:33:05 am »

I noticed that this snow causes blisters, one of my sword dorfs was stationed outside. Her baby became heavily blistered, I am just imaging many of my dorfs having horrible scars from this syndrome. No one has ever died from it, but still.

In other news, the newer deep fort has been constructed near the platinum deposits (this map has like 5k of the stuff.) Forges are up, now to set up stock piles.

Also some zombies got down here because apparently the staircase runs through a reanimated biome...
    e    e   e    U   U     
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33732 on: March 26, 2014, 09:42:09 am »

I am currently trying to refill my steel stocks by melting and forging axe blades etc. I want all my dwarves to be, at all times, equipped with masterwork steel armor and battle axes.
It's going good for now, because I used the 1 bar for 500 coins for 50 bars exploit (manually, mind you). Some dwarves have just under masterwork quality armor pieces. Now, only my dedicated woodcutter and dedicated miner are clothed, the rest are armored.
It's easier since I'm doing a closed fort. Invaders are ON, but I embarked with some wood, cut enough to be self sustaining for a loooong time, and disabled trading and migration.
Now I have 15 adult dwarves (3 or so have died from failed moods), very high drink and food stocks, and 25 or so children (pop cap set to 0, though, which means pop cap doesn't stop pregnancies).
I'm waiting for the first children to get old enough to work. For now, this is a pretty boring fort, since I don't need to expand at all.

I'd really like to have family names instead of random names :(
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33733 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:58 am »

Not really worth it to equip with all masterwork steel armor AND weapons (though getting all masterwork weapons is easier) since you'd have to make TONS of pieces of armor to fully outfit your dwarves.

I agree on the family names thing.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33734 on: March 26, 2014, 09:50:08 am »

Well, I don't know the chance for masterwork items to be crafted, but forging one set is 16 bars, but melting is 15.6 bars, so there isn't much loss until the smiths reach the point where they output many masterworks. In this case, why not?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 2247 2248 [2249] 2250 2251 ... 3842