Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2122 2123 [2124] 2125 2126 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098840 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31845 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:07 pm »

Frogmen attacked Savageford again, resulting in Zas nearly getting himself killed and Private Berim being struck down. The culprit, Wallvirgins, was brutally struck down by Berim's squadmate, Pvt. Mugsith Wailmerchant. Berim's death was unfortunate, as the pikefrogs in the initial attack were routed by Berim killing the macelord officer.

Still have to remove a group of macefrogs led by a master swordfrog to lift the siege, but I'm confident in my warriors' ability.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31846 on: December 10, 2013, 06:13:48 pm »

So by carving fortifications out of the fortresses exterior walls and drafting several of my hunters as militiamen, I was able to kill the remaining Cave Dragons hanging out by the fortress, which was enough to encourage the rest of the besiegers to bugger off.  I'm rebuilding the fortifications that were overrun, and burying the dead who were trapped outside. 

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31847 on: December 10, 2013, 06:32:41 pm »

NOTE: only been playing for a few weeks, so I think I have the interface down pretty well, but I still get caught with my pants down occasionally; working on my fourth fortress (abandoning the first three after critical design flaws resulted in the beginnings of tantrum spiral).

The latest, Paddleflickers, is located on the top of a heavily forested grassy plateau rich in clay, limonite, bituminous coal, marble, gold, and platinum (I used the quickstart guide to make a favorable world).  Defensive arrangements were easy with the natural plateau (only a small 5-10 tile border around the edge of the map below the plateau level, and a defensive moat all the way around the inside; only way under the moat is a 3-wide entrance tunnel into the depot and (by alternate drawbridge routing) the trapped fortified "murder tunnel".  On the down side, migrants and hunters tend to be far from the only way in at all times and have to walk all the way around the plateau to get back to the entrance (problematic if they're in a race with megabeasts or goblin raiders).  I also have yet to be visited by goblins on giant bats, which would be a problem because all of my cattle is still topside and my top entrance is only protected by a retractable bridge and a few cage traps.

One specific sequence of events I thought was particularly "narrative"...
* Fortress gets offered the opportunity to become a barony; seeing the wealth of native gold and platinum to make a spectacular bedroom/tomb/etc, I accept, and the baronness.
* Much goldwork later, I have a whole mess of gold cabinets, tables, chests, etc installed in the baronesses quarters in preparation for her eventual promotion.
* Baroness promoted to countess, then meets with liaison again and we're told we will be promoted to a County.  Yay!
* As the liaison is walking towards the edge of the map, I get the "Ambush!" notification and check for the location...and apparently the ambush was detected, far from my main entrance, by none other than the countess herself who was half way across the map chasing butterflies.  She is promptly chased down and impaled by a goblin pikemaster.
* Strangely enough, a little bit of time later I got the notification that Paddleflickers had been promoted to a County even though the senior official was now a Mayor...odd...
* So now, I'm sitting on a fabulously appointed throne room / dining room / bed room / tomb filled with gold stuff and with no prospect of having a noble to fill it.  Of course, I make the appropriate donations to the next dwarven caravan to become the Capital....
* ...which happens in short order.  After sorting the legendary retinue dwarves into a nasty close combat squad, I examine my new Monarch.  Who is, of course, an ancient Vampire.  Yay.  Very soon after he takes up residence, he also gets himself elected Mayor (which does, pleasantly, cut down on the Mandates somewhat).  Oh, and he's obsessed with Low Boots and Maces.
* After some consideration, I decide to burrow him into his quarters to limit his access to other dwarves' beds while still allowing unhappy dwarves to meet in his throne room and experience his epic level social skills.  As an insurance policy (when activating the Danger burrow, for example), I also install a gold drawbridge just outside the throne room to keep him contained.
* ...and then a nasty idea hits me.  I have a Vampire King, so why would I not keep him happy by feeding him young dwarves every year (not sure if feeding a vampire actually gives them a happiness boost, but why not?).  I pick a Peasant with no family and no useful skills, attach them to the King's burrow, build a bed assigned to them in the King's Dining Room, and wait for nature to take its course.
* For reasons that are not clear to me, the Peasant gets stuck in the alcohol stockpile drinking rum when I assign them to the burrow.  Reluctant to serve their lord and master, I imagine.
* To jostle them loose, I assign them to an empty military squad with no uniform and station them in the King's Dining Room.
* In an unexpected turn of events, the chosen dwarf walks to the barracks, executes a "pickup equipment", strips naked (oh, that's right, the no uniform was assigned as "instead of clothing"), and marches into the Vampire's Den.
* And at this point, I look in detail and find that the Chosen dwarf is female.  And a teenager.  And named "Iton Greatbodice".  And now naked and prancing around the King's quarters.  I couldn't have figured out how to make that happen on purpose if I had tried.
* To close out this part of the story, the chosen dwarf becomes increasingly unhappy due to nakedness (I do create a couple of stockpiles so dwarves bring in food and drink for her).  She petitions the King and they "attend meeting" for awhile, and both of them get happy thoughts for her having cried on his shoulder (and him being a master consoler).
* Mollified, she falls asleep in the provided bed and is immediately drained of all of her blood.
* Disturbingly, the farmer that comes in to remove her body is very tired and jumps into bed *with her bloodless corpse* to take a nap ( :o).  By the time I realize this, the King has already drained him dry as well (fortunately, I have a massive oversupply of farmers).  In the future, I'll definitely be deconstructing the bed in the dining room as soon as it has been "used".

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31848 on: December 10, 2013, 06:59:24 pm »

Sounds like an amazing embark location!  One of my favorite past forts was similar.  It was a large mesa in the NW corner of the map that was easily defended (until a roc arrived).  I had the same issue with migrants and traders.  It was the first game where I tried out a network of underground passages that offered a quick route to safety regardless of where migrants or merchants appeared on the map.

As for the vampire and sacrifice, yeah, that's a perfect example of the crazy narratives that DF can create!

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31849 on: December 10, 2013, 07:41:26 pm »

Sounds like an amazing embark location!  One of my favorite past forts was similar.  It was a large mesa in the NW corner of the map that was easily defended (until a roc arrived).  I had the same issue with migrants and traders.  It was the first game where I tried out a network of underground passages that offered a quick route to safety regardless of where migrants or merchants appeared on the map.

As for the vampire and sacrifice, yeah, that's a perfect example of the crazy narratives that DF can create!
Actually had a Roc; I burrowed everyone below ground and watched for it to fly to the entrance and try to go through the one unforbidden door I have to lure in attackers through my murder tunnel.  Instead, it just chased my cattle around.  I got bored with job cancellations so I mustered my military just under the topside retracting bridge, opened it up when the roc was on the far side of the plateau, shot it down with a lucky crossbow bolt to the wing, then watched 20 assorted melee dwarves beat and stab the thing to death.  Strangely enough, its (few) chosen attacks were attempts to "wing-lock" the arm of a baby that one of my female soldiers was carrying around.  Unsuccessfully.  Eventually, my Captain of the Guard stabbed it in the head with a spear and killed it.  We're still eating *Roc Roast* after a couple of years.

What I'm really worried about is goblins on giant bats (or similar), because they'll gladly wipe out all of my cattle before heading to my entrance, and I don't really want to meet them in combat on an open field just to save a bunch of reindeer and water buffalos.  At least not until my "100% steel armor and weapons" project is complete.

On a completely different point, cage traps seem to be *really* powerful.  My first megabeast was a dragon, and I figured it would be a huge problem after it stomped up to my front gate and barbequed my two guard dogs.  Then it kindly walked into a cage trap and it's been adorning my dining hall ever since.  Seems a little over-powered (I have numerous goblins, trolls, and two minotaurs that are similarly decorating my entrance tunnel).

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31850 on: December 10, 2013, 08:29:12 pm »

Ok, so my military is still having issues finding their gear and equipping it properly. A recent hammerdwarf recruit has been in a bad mood for a month because of this...

And the time comes for the RNG to bless us with another mood, and it strikes the ill-tempered recruit, who looses a fell and terrible laugh and rushes off to the nearby mason's shop, grabs one of my original 7 (a glazier, I meant for him to be a glassmaker but I screwed up, so no big loss) and begins his project. This no doubt terrified the human merchants in the nearby trade depot.

He made Eelbone, a dwarf bone scepter worth 2400 DB, circled with bands of dwarf bone.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31851 on: December 10, 2013, 08:59:07 pm »

Another lot of pugnacious plump helmet men have wandered into the caverns, spooking my woodcutters and web gatherers.  Should make some decent training for the militia I'm still working to rebuild...

Oh, wait, look. A Forgotten Beast has wandered in too.  This should be *fun*

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31852 on: December 10, 2013, 09:26:10 pm »

Bad day for Mestthos Akrulduthal, "Mestthos Tinworthy", Axe Lord  :-\

His right upper leg is broken.  His right upper leg is cut open.  His right upper leg is spraying Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His right lower leg is broken.  His right lower leg is cut open.  His right lower leg is spraying Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His left upper leg is broken.  His left upper leg is cut open.  His left upper leg is spraying Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His left lower leg is broken.  His left lower leg is cut open.  His left lower leg is dripping Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His lower body is cut open.  His lower body is gushing Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His upper body is cut open.  His upper body is spraying Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His right lung is broken.  His right lung is dripping Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His right hip is broken.  His right hip is oozing Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His right knee is broken.  His right knee is oozing Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His left knee is broken.  His left knee is oozing Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His guts is broken.  His guts is oozing Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His left kidney is broken.  His left kidney is oozing Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood.  His lower spine is broken.  His lower spine is oozing Mestthos Tinworthy's dwarf blood. 

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31853 on: December 10, 2013, 10:31:01 pm »

I'm currently on my 7th hunter, the previous six have perished due to their quarry turning to zombies in their hands as they drag the corpse back to the fort.  Elephants, in case you were curious.

I'm still looking for the (sneaking) necromancer(s) but so far none have come for the trap I set, the lure being several severed limbs of previous beasties.  My military trains outside, various cats roam, and my hunters are equipped with a dog, but so far no luck.  I picked a 4x4 embark also so I've got a lot of ground to cover. 

As previously suggested, I could set the grass on fire to smoke them out, but I'd kill all the wild game that way and I'm not confident they would respawn.  Also I have no guarantee that more necros wouldn't show up later anyway, so I'm working on a way to detect them.

Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Alendar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31854 on: December 10, 2013, 10:33:17 pm »

So I opened up one of my older saves, at about 5 years the fortress has 117 people with 65 being kids. And being one of my older (less well built/played) fortress, it has shit defenses. So, perfect time for a goblin siege to come with 30 mounted gobos with 8 trolls. not seconds later, a bronze colloussus. Not a week (in-game) later, my military was also slaughtered. They were actually adequately equipped, the damn dwarfs just dident know how to dodge the thing...and the rest of the citizens dident either...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31855 on: December 10, 2013, 11:53:50 pm »

Bad day for Mestthos Akrulduthal, "Mestthos Tinworthy", Axe Lord  :-\

What happened?!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31856 on: December 11, 2013, 12:41:48 am »

What happened?!
He was fighting a Heinous Gloom zombie, verrrry unpleasant.

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31857 on: December 11, 2013, 02:29:50 am »

I have a really small fortress... My trading goods are based entirely on mugs and, for some reason, they aren't using barrels or bins despite having empty ones to use near the stockpile. ._.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #31858 on: December 11, 2013, 03:48:55 am »

Gatenames is in its second year. And it appears water has come flooding out of my well at an alarming rate.

... a very alarming rate.

More on this soon.

EDIT: Dear god 7/7 stack water has entered the mines. The lower half of the fortress is flooded. I created an emergency escape route to the surface. How did this happen!?

EDIT2: Two subsequent goblin ambushes. They killed at least 3 hiding from the water on the surface including a master miner before my militia could scare them off. Who knows how many are drowning inside.

EDIT 3: Managed to rescue people trapped in rooms with proper doors. Set up a temporary refugee area. It seems our food is lost, so is all our seeds, and other ware. Hospital and barracks are still accessible but our doctor went insane. Stitches the doctor took off all his clothes and ran into the forest. He hasn't been seen since. Tantrums and insanity seem to be the fallout of this disaster, people starving and beating each other willy nilly. Luckily I haven't appointed a hammerer or sheriff or it'd be even worse. Still trying to figure out how to set up now, as it seems this situation could well be permanent.

EDITfucking4: Now a necromancer has arrived... and there are corpses everywhere..

LASTEDIT: ...Zombies ate my fort. Everyone. Didn't even have time to seal myself in. O.O no words
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:01:28 am by Stealtharcadia »
Yeah yeah yeah!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31859 on: December 11, 2013, 05:49:53 am »

Gatenames is in its second year. And it appears water has come flooding out of my well at an alarming rate.

... a very alarming rate.

More on this soon.

EDIT: Dear god 7/7 stack water has entered the mines. The lower half of the fortress is flooded. I created an emergency escape route to the surface. How did this happen!?

EDIT2: Two subsequent goblin ambushes. They killed at least 3 hiding from the water on the surface including a master miner before my militia could scare them off. Who knows how many are drowning inside.

EDIT 3: Managed to rescue people trapped in rooms with proper doors. Set up a temporary refugee area. It seems our food is lost, so is all our seeds, and other ware. Hospital and barracks are still accessible but our doctor went insane. Stitches the doctor took off all his clothes and ran into the forest. He hasn't been seen since. Tantrums and insanity seem to be the fallout of this disaster, people starving and beating each other willy nilly. Luckily I haven't appointed a hammerer or sheriff or it'd be even worse. Still trying to figure out how to set up now, as it seems this situation could well be permanent.

EDITfucking4: Now a necromancer has arrived... and there are corpses everywhere..

LASTEDIT: ...Zombies ate my fort. Everyone. Didn't even have time to seal myself in. O.O no words
Drowning, goblins, tantrum spiral and zombies. Not bad, you missed magma and HFS, but what can you do.
Pages: 1 ... 2122 2123 [2124] 2125 2126 ... 3842