Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2120 2121 [2122] 2123 2124 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098845 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31815 on: December 09, 2013, 03:57:40 pm »

Trade was my original source of iron.  When asking for specific trade goods, don't just ask for bars.  Ask for other items suitable for melting, like anvils.  One trade caravan can boost your iron stocks up quite a bit if you diversify your selection of iron goods.  Maybe you've already done this, but I didn't when I first started out.

Yeah, I did that a few forts back. This fort is young enough that it didn't seem like a good idea yet.

Besides, I have other things going on, like this:

It's a forgotten beast in a cage! ...well, not an actual cage, but you understand what I mean. I have plenty of space on either side to set up magma or water or both. I can even release it more or less safely with hatches as bait to control its movement. This one has deadly blood, so it's not likely to ever see the outside of its cell, but if others come with less fearful attributes, I may use them for live training, once I think my military is up to the task.

My system worked mostly perfectly. A few problems arose, such as my leverdwarf sleeping on the job, but once he was in the airlock, it was just a matter of time. I had to rebuild a hatch after all was said and done, but that's going to be more or less standard operating procedure. The only vulnerability is time - if another beast shows up directly after the first one, and I'm not taking the time to airlock dwarves in and out, then I could lose a few to them. But it's not very likely. And besides, who am I to completely rule out the possibility of fun?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31816 on: December 09, 2013, 04:06:20 pm »

The only vulnerability is time - if another beast shows up directly after the first one, and I'm not taking the time to airlock dwarves in and out, then I could lose a few to them. But it's not very likely. And besides, who am I to completely rule out the possibility of fun?

"Marshall, we should witness a Double Event within seven days..."

Grats on capturing the fb!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31817 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:42 pm »

I had a ghostly blacksmith appear, which was apparently the spirit of a dwarf one of my original 7 axelords had killed. Pretty sure it was a necromancer ghost, which proceeded to phase through the walls and exit the map as soon as it appeared.

Weird. I reloaded a previous save, to see what happened... and the ghost is there, a skeleton belonging to a necromancer is down awaiting disposal in the magma pipe, and his ghost once again exits the map.

Also having a problem getting my military to equip everything properly... unsure why, but making more armor seems to help, even though only 4 dwarves are claiming metal armor. The marksdwarf squads are all in civvies for now.

And a dwarfette gave birth to TRIPLETS. Haven't seen that yet.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:58:12 pm by Lich180 »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31818 on: December 09, 2013, 06:35:21 pm »

I had a ghostly blacksmith appear, which was apparently the spirit of a dwarf one of my original 7 axelords had killed. Pretty sure it was a necromancer ghost, which proceeded to phase through the walls and exit the map as soon as it appeared.

Weird. I reloaded a previous save, to see what happened... and the ghost is there, a skeleton belonging to a necromancer is down awaiting disposal in the magma pipe, and his ghost once again exits the map.

Also having a problem getting my military to equip everything properly... unsure why, but making more armor seems to help, even though only 4 dwarves are claiming metal armor. The marksdwarf squads are all in civvies for now.

Didn't think that was possible...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31819 on: December 09, 2013, 06:43:29 pm »

Cool,  I've never even had twins in any of my forts!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31820 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:33 pm »

Is there some way to butcher skeletons for bones? I tried dropping them from height, but they didn't explode. I tried setting up a butcher shop right next to them and issuing a 'Butcher a corpse' order, but the order just got canceled (No nearby butcherable unrotten item.)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31821 on: December 09, 2013, 07:36:33 pm »

Is there some way to butcher skeletons for bones? I tried dropping them from height, but they didn't explode. I tried setting up a butcher shop right next to them and issuing a 'Butcher a corpse' order, but the order just got canceled (No nearby butcherable unrotten item.)

What creatures were they?

If they were can speak or learn, then they will never be butchered.

Are they outside? If so, make sure that you've changed your orders to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31822 on: December 09, 2013, 09:31:03 pm »

What creatures were they?

If they were can speak or learn, then they will never be butchered.

Are they outside? If so, make sure that you've changed your orders to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse.

I know the kobold corpse can't be butchered, not sure why I was trying that. But I had hoped to recover bones from the yak at least, and the cat should still be butcherable, right?

I think I found the issue though.
Quote from: The Wiki
A dead tame animal that was not killed by your military cannot be butchered.Bug:1180

The yak starved to death. The kitten was annihilated as bait for the forgotten beast down below. And I'm pretty sure the cat died in a recent goblin siege.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31823 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:06 pm »

It's not possible to butcher dead strays, just like how it's not possible to slaughter live wild animals. I can't think of any way around that, either.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31824 on: December 09, 2013, 10:05:08 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 166, Late Summer of 338 (Year 87)

All the entrances to the underground trade network have been open this year, providing greater security to merchants.  Once rare, cage traps have been crafted in much greater numbers in preparation for the upcoming gladiatorial games in the Spring of 351. Unfortunately, Sigun Graniteright, a 14-year-old marksdwarf recruit, was slain during the most recent siege.  When the alarms sounded, she forgot to fill her quiver.  Rather than retreat to restock, she charged into melee ahead of more experienced warriors and was killed by a headshot from a goblin bowman. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31825 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:11 pm »

Verdant, are you gonna make your commoners fight the prisoners in order to desensitize them?
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31826 on: December 09, 2013, 10:52:11 pm »

It's not possible to butcher dead strays, just like how it's not possible to slaughter live wild animals. I can't think of any way around that, either.

What about the giant capuchin and sparrow skeletons that my hunters left outside the gates? Can I dissect the skeletons for bones and skulls?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31827 on: December 09, 2013, 10:57:17 pm »

What about the giant capuchin and sparrow skeletons that my hunters left outside the gates? Can I dissect the skeletons for bones and skulls?

You should be able to, so long as you set your orders to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31828 on: December 09, 2013, 11:07:56 pm »

Verdant, are you gonna make your commoners fight the prisoners in order to desensitize them?

No, but the commoners will watch from the arena stands as the soldiers fight the prisoners.  Most of the spectators will be within 9 tiles of at least some of the fighting, so hopefully that will desensitize a bunch :D.  Some prisoners might be armed, I'm still deciding.  I'm definitely disarming all the bowmen, though! 

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31829 on: December 09, 2013, 11:24:11 pm »

No, but the commoners will watch from the arena stands as the soldiers fight the prisoners.  Most of the spectators will be within 9 tiles of at least some of the fighting, so hopefully that will desensitize a bunch :D.  Some prisoners might be armed, I'm still deciding.  I'm definitely disarming all the bowmen, though!
Ah, if you have some tamed lions, it would complete the picture to release them onto the surviving prisoners when your soldiers get tired...
Pages: 1 ... 2120 2121 [2122] 2123 2124 ... 3842