Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1865 1866 [1867] 1868 1869 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124442 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27990 on: February 26, 2013, 10:53:53 am »

New fort time!
I want to make a hyrdroelectric dam of some sort. A river leading into a large   artificial lake with a massive dam. The entrance would be in the basin, where I could flood any invaders and would have ample amounts of water for drowning chambers.

What would be the best way to go about this? Choose a embark with yearly freezing? Aquifer? No aquifer?
Water will only rise up to the level of its origin, so damming a river will not create an artificial lake UNLESS you have a waterfall.  On a waterfall map, you can dam the lower river and it will eventually fill its valley up to the level of the upper river (or spill over the dam, if it's not tall enough).  So I would look for an embark with the tallest waterfall you can find.  20 z-levels should be possible.  On the site selector interface, look for places where one river meets another, and where the cliffs are steep.  Those two conditions together should produce nice big waterfalls.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27991 on: February 26, 2013, 01:46:37 pm »

A one eyed alligator FB with a poisonous sting came to visit out fortress. My military had recently been petrified from a fight with a basilisk, and therefore moved slowly. The military commander bled to death, and our axedwarf was severely injured. The thing killed a few pets, finished off my unconscious axedwarf and went on to attack more creatures, all while my military couldn't do anything.
Then a noble cave beetle struck the Achilles' heel and bit it's eye.
Then the poor, blind alligator was brutally murdered by a bunch of dogs, beetles and my sword-golem.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27992 on: February 26, 2013, 04:21:15 pm »

The newly founded fortress of Thundertraded is being expanded underground. The miners have finished digging out the farms, and plump helmets are being planted. A new area has been designated in the magnetite layer. I'm trying to avoid using my usual fortress designs.

The surface is part desert, part marsh, and has a dolomite road across it, which connects two dwarven fortresses.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #27993 on: February 26, 2013, 04:22:37 pm »

Recently messed around with world generation to start getting volcano tower-tube-things for easy fortification. I've already gotten the first 2 sections of the sky bridge done, i intend to extend it out over a bridge-wall surrounding my above ground farms, cavy pastures, and refuse stockpiles. I've begun construction on the "gate house" sections of tower to protect it. Main stockpile and office dug out, the office furniture currently in construction. I've also begun digging my first workshop level, i'm going with a pod design. so each of my sections will have the possibility of being sealed apart from each other, it's going to take some time to set up the food distribution and caste sections. hopefully all will go well, sadly i don't think caravans are a likely-hood for a couple seasons and i get the get bridge built as from the way i've dug my entrance into the high levels of the volcano tower results in difficultygetting anything in there.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27994 on: February 26, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »

A one eyed alligator FB with a poisonous sting came to visit out fortress. My military had recently been petrified from a fight with a basilisk, and therefore moved slowly. The military commander bled to death, and our axedwarf was severely injured. The thing killed a few pets, finished off my unconscious axedwarf and went on to attack more creatures, all while my military couldn't do anything.
Then the poor, blind alligator was brutally murdered by a bunch of dogs, beetles and my sword-golem.

What mods are you using? Lol. Basilisk? Sword Golem?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27995 on: February 26, 2013, 05:01:35 pm »

My guess is Masterwork.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27996 on: February 26, 2013, 06:02:31 pm »

The fortress of Thundertraded has expanded to a decent size now; only two migrants arrived in the summer so accommodation is not crowded. Each dwarf has their own 5x5 room, complete with a talc cabinet and chest. A drinks shortage has been averted, and a honey badger has become the first fortress kill.

Eight more bedrooms are being dug out of the rock, and there is ample workshop space. With the wood stockpiles on the surface becoming full, some will be brought underground once the new storage rooms are open.

There's supposed to be an aquifer around here, but I haven't found it yet. The map doesn't have any running water, so if an aquifer cannot be located the caverns will need to be breached sooner than later.

A trade depot is planned before the autumn caravan arrives, but besides dwarven syrup there is nothing suitable for trading.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27997 on: February 26, 2013, 06:04:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
First time I've had children admitted to a Dorf hospital. Not just in Silentthunders either, but ever. Kivish Scienceborn and Odom Bloodmachine are currently being patched up by Doc Bloodmachine after being in yet another quarry accident that resulted in both of them fracturing their skulls.

It's a wonder how they're still alive.

Got some tough kiddies in this Fortress.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27998 on: February 26, 2013, 06:15:24 pm »

First time posting. Been lurking for a bit, and loving DF for about 8 months or so. Here's a wall of text about my game, enjoy!

Anyway, picture the 237 dwarf-strong metropolis of Keltherleth (Metalsnakes) It exists on a unique island nation that has populations of dwarves, humans, elves, but no goblins There are some kobolds, but they seem to be mostly harmless, only sending the occasional thief that never reaches our doors. Due to overseer cowardice, the environment surrounding this city is a calm jungle with a strict no aquifer policy. The surface is totally flat with a small river running horizontally across the map. Dwarven modifications have split this small river and diverted it back around in a large loop, creating the artificial island on which the main entrance to the fortress sits. This courtyard is walled off from the inner perimeter, with two bridges and a tunnel system providing outside access. Attackers attempting to cross said bridges must run a walled-in gauntlet of weapon and cage traps. To the north is a large deposit of rich, red sand. The dwarves have walled off a section of this sand field to harvest its bounty in safety. The only access is through the underground tunnel systems. Various small, swampy ponds dot the landscape, but otherwise nothing of note. A gabbro paved road system provides caravan access through the jungle and also divides the landscape into manageable areas.

Underground, Metalsnakes really comes alive. After passing near the animal pens next to the main entrance, visitors can take a number of paths down to the lower floors. These include Production, Residential, The Kitchens, The Prison, etc. The surface is at layer 99. The first cavern layer begins at 41. The actual FLOOR of the caverns is at 0... A vast underground lake fills half of the floor levels, with the access to cavern layer 2 a couple levels above. Cavern layer 2 is... rather boring. No sharp drops, no water, and hardly any monsters.

Life goes rather peacefully in Metalsnakes. However, due to the recent successful live testing of our Elf Caravan Drowning Trap, that peace will hopefully change. Now that defenses and the trap are complete, we can start a war with the pointy-eared ones at long last! Our other plan for spicing up the daily routine was to punch into and explore the second cavern layer. After terminating a few blind cave ogres and a crowd of crundles, the whole layer has been fairly deserted. 30 soldiers at the ready and itching and we have yet to even see a forgotten beast! Giant toads have done the most damage to my population so far. How am I supposed to have fun if nothing attacks me? Well, in an attempt to solve this I have challenged a war on two different fronts, and am busy creating as much wealth as possible.

In nonviolent news, the dwarven caravan has just arrived safely at the NON-trapped trading depot along our fabulous roads. We'll buy them out of pretty much everything again, using a prepared food pot or two, or some of the Elephant Roast we have lying around loose that seems to be worth an absurd amount... That last elf caravan netted us a whole lot of stuff for free, and I'll happily welcome the humans into our safe depot when they arrive. We want SOME friends, after all, and the humans don't gripe when you sell them wood.

We're eagerly awaiting the first batch of King Cobra babies, now that we've locked a male and female one into a room with a nest box. Sure am hoping I'm not missing something and have to edit the raws for that to work. I had already set dingoes to be trained for hunting and war, and their population is growing every day. We also have leopards and cheetahs on hand to breed and use for battle. Our baroness never goes anywhere without her war leopard. The trainers grind their skill out on a few caged albatrosses and a giant olm. Not sure what to do with him..

I have a vampire locked in a jail cell, whom I may use for bookkeeping once his sentence is up. Half my population seem to be children or babies, the oldest of which still need 6 more years to mature. I'm worried that my cats and dogs may be over-reproducing. Other than that, good fort. It's been a great run, but now I'm kinda trying to get it killed so I can try building somewhere more evil.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27999 on: February 26, 2013, 06:30:36 pm »

Oh cute, I have a deity called An Glowingtwinkle who is represented by a male dwarf and stands for sun and silence.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28000 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:46 am »

What mods are you using? Lol. Basilisk? Sword Golem?
Masterwork.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28001 on: February 27, 2013, 11:39:17 am »

Six of my Dwarves ended up with "demon sickness".  Happily it seems to be nothing more than perpetual bruising this time, but some of them are definitely unhappy.  :-\

EDIT:  And against all common sense, my outpost liaison apparently tried to leave the map through the clown tent, instead of the surface.  This lead to a remarkably bad day for him, being impaled repeatedly on menacing upright spikes.   :o  First time I've seen that!

and...
This is a stack of 414 masterfully prepared prepared sauropod devil intestines roast created by Avuz Kokeblogem.  The ingredients are exceptionally minced prepared sauropod devil eye, exceptionally minced sauropod devil meat, exceptionally minced prepared sauropod devil lung and exceptionally minced prepared sauropod devil intestines. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:51:41 pm by vjek »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28002 on: February 27, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »

After surrounding my entire map with animal traps, I have finally  managed to catch some elephants. 6 males and a female were caught, and a quick enclosure above ground was but for them while trainers began rye process of taming them. Got to get chains made and built, hopefully that helps keep them in their pasture, rather than sprinting around the fortress.

That's honestly a  rather funny image... An elephant running around the nature corridors of a fort, crammed into a tiny stone hallway with dwarves trying to crawl under it...

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28003 on: February 27, 2013, 03:59:22 pm »

New fort time!
I want to make a hyrdroelectric dam of some sort. A river leading into a large   artificial lake with a massive dam. The entrance would be in the basin, where I could flood any invaders and would have ample amounts of water for drowning chambers.

What would be the best way to go about this? Choose a embark with yearly freezing? Aquifer? No aquifer?
Water will only rise up to the level of its origin, so damming a river will not create an artificial lake UNLESS you have a waterfall.  On a waterfall map, you can dam the lower river and it will eventually fill its valley up to the level of the upper river (or spill over the dam, if it's not tall enough).  So I would look for an embark with the tallest waterfall you can find.  20 z-levels should be possible.  On the site selector interface, look for places where one river meets another, and where the cliffs are steep.  Those two conditions together should produce nice big waterfalls.

I once had an embark where the lower part of a gorge would freeze first during the winter.  Water would pile up to the level of the incoming waterfall before freezing solid.  Then, during the spring melt, I would get a seasonal flood.  It was awesome.

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28004 on: February 27, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »

I am currently recovering from an Titan Attack.  The amber, web-spitting,  ceratops managed to swim though my pond, and up my well.  My burgeoning fort of 196 dwarves was slaughted as the beast made it into my main stairway.   Dwarf after dwarf was conscripted into the military.  Babies where thrown down hallways, spinal cords and nervous systems kicked to pieces.   Dwarf after dwarf felled. My military refusing to use weapons, instead reling on biting and kicking the monster.  Which, turned out to be less than effective against a creature made of amber, who spits webs and kicks babies 200 yards. 

As my numbers dwindled to the low 20's, I get an announcement.  My legendary woodcutter has given birth. Auto-zooming to the location, I find that she's outside felling wood.  How I overlooked drafting her, when I drafted all my most valuable dwarfs (and lost them, one by one), I'll never know.   So I put her in a squad  "The Pointed Fish" or something, she ran back to the fort... and... felled the beast with one blow.

Now I'm in the process of building tombs, and cleaning up the hallways... And tending to the (mostly paralyzed) wounded. 

Life continues in Bladechambers.
Pages: 1 ... 1865 1866 [1867] 1868 1869 ... 3842