Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1864 1865 [1866] 1867 1868 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124463 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27975 on: February 25, 2013, 12:09:44 pm »

And one more event, which is best described by a quote from a combat log:

The Soldier hacks The Chinchilla Woman in the teeth with his -iron battle axe- and the severed part sails off in an arc.

In the TEETH!?!?!

With an AXE!?!?!
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27976 on: February 25, 2013, 12:32:49 pm »

Nuff said.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #27977 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »

<sigh>

I think a shot of my combat log will explain this the best...

Apparently ripped-off-arms are contagious.

And... throwing someone by their left back teeth? That's just mean.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27978 on: February 25, 2013, 01:55:56 pm »

The sons and daughters of the founders have survived the cataclismic  tantrum spiral and are now growing up and participating in the life of the fortress. Hurray!
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #27979 on: February 25, 2013, 03:58:57 pm »

<sigh>

I think a shot of my combat log will explain this the best...

Apparently ripped-off-arms are contagious.

And... throwing someone by their left back teeth? That's just mean.
Wait... PAW?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27980 on: February 25, 2013, 04:02:15 pm »

Something about a were-panther.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #27981 on: February 25, 2013, 04:11:39 pm »

Something about a were-panther.

Yeah, that. The one 'The Soldier' is the one who got his arm ripped off by the original were-panther who is now infected, and the The Soldier whose arm is getting ripped off in that SS is the second to lose an arm. He'll probably get infected too. Maybe I'll have a whole military of one-armed were-panthers.

We'll see.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27982 on: February 25, 2013, 04:12:26 pm »

just a moment ago I collapesed a necromancer tower and killed the odd 300 undead in an evil region raining human blood non stop.

This got me a few books and blocks to erect a wall with to keep out the undead

I plan to build an even greater eviler tower in place of the one I collapsed but plans fell apart when all the food and drink disappeared (must of been the swarm of rats) the last dwarf died of hunger two ticks after he planted a plump helmet.

But I shall reclaim!

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #27983 on: February 25, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »

New fort time!
I want to make a hyrdroelectric dam of some sort. A river leading into a large   artificial lake with a massive dam. The entrance would be in the basin, where I could flood any invaders and would have ample amounts of water for drowning chambers.

What would be the best way to go about this? Choose a embark with yearly freezing? Aquifer? No aquifer?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27984 on: February 25, 2013, 05:30:07 pm »

"IT IS RAINING ARACNAE FROZEN ICHOR"

After a few panicked moments wondering what I'd broken in the RAWs to make it rain spider blood, I realized I was in a "haunted" embark. Oh, Toady. Didn't see that one coming.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27985 on: February 25, 2013, 05:36:51 pm »

"IT IS RAINING ARACNAE FROZEN ICHOR"

After a few panicked moments wondering what I'd broken in the RAWs to make it rain spider blood, I realized I was in a "haunted" embark. Oh, Toady. Didn't see that one coming.
Hit it! ...

"Spider hail, poison hail, does whatever to make you fail... oOooooh... there goes the spider haaaaaiilll ! "

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27986 on: February 25, 2013, 06:57:16 pm »

HelpedInk came under siege by goblins once more, and things got a bit... chaotic for a while.

I had improved my defences further by adding a secondary entrance, a "back door" if you wish, which I planned to funnel invaders through. It's basically a narrow pathway filled with traps, with shooting galleries at the sides, and rising bridges at either end to lock invaders in. Pretty simple, but should work.

It was JUST finished when the siege came, so in theory it could be used, and I started making the steps to move the fight there. Ordered the marksdwarf-squads to take position, and sent all my dwarves inside the fortress.

I was just about to lock it up when I noticed that there was a human caravan on-route to my fort... They started fighting the invaders, and I was contemplating leaving them there, but in the end decided not to, since I'm relying pretty heavily on trade, and I didn't want them to have any reason to dislike me just now.

So, I ordered the marksdwarves back, and sent my melee-squads out, expecting the worst since my melee arn't the best trained fighters around, and there was around 60 invaders, melee, ranged and trolls, with a couple of *masters thrown in. I'm usually relying quite heavily on my marksdwarves, and seeing as none of them was in position, well...

Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be my smoothest, most casuality-free siege to date. Didn't loose a single dwarf. The humans took a hit, but meh, who cares really. I saved them, so they can't very well blame me.

On another note, the caverns I breached a while back (and then resealed, since I felt I had better things to do than go spelunking) has spawned their first FB. I don't care really, he can't touch me, so he can wander around down there and rot for all I care.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27987 on: February 26, 2013, 08:47:47 am »

A fire breathing hairy humanoid crocodile FB popped in. It killed a few pets and dwarves before a measly wooden javelin thrown by a hunter hit it's brain and killed it.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Leissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27988 on: February 26, 2013, 10:38:23 am »

a huge trial-and-error with a small bonfire.

I thought I'd you know, roast some plump helmet on a stick or something, see how it works out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Results: 1 berserk, 2 melancholy, 2 stark raving mad.

Well, after the initial how-does-this-thing-work wondernment, I realized I practically desertified my source of aboveground plants and wood.
The fire is now steadily advancing from the southern side towards the east, where it'll likely swing to the northern side.

All that's left in green is a slice of ground on the other side of the stream where I was gonna connect my moat/waterfall system.
3 wide at the smallest, 15 at the widest. it looks like it's 26 tall on screen.

Oh joy.
Quote from: #bay12games
<Skibiliano> I can just imagine a line of dwarves looking at two humans, "Breed!"

<Turgid> One dwarf to rule them all, one dwarf to find them, one dwarf to bring them all, and in the fortress bind them!

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27989 on: February 26, 2013, 10:50:06 am »

a huge trial-and-error with a small bonfire.

I thought I'd you know, roast some plump helmet on a stick or something, see how it works out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Results: 1 berserk, 2 melancholy, 2 stark raving mad.

Well, after the initial how-does-this-thing-work wondernment, I realized I practically desertified my source of aboveground plants and wood.
The fire is now steadily advancing from the southern side towards the east, where it'll likely swing to the northern side.

All that's left in green is a slice of ground on the other side of the stream where I was gonna connect my moat/waterfall system.
3 wide at the smallest, 15 at the widest. it looks like it's 26 tall on screen.

Oh joy.
It'll grow back eventually. I accidentally incinerated the entire plain of my current fort with DFHack trying to get rid of one shrub (immolate instead of extirpate, oops.) It's been nine years now and it's more or less like it used to be.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!
Pages: 1 ... 1864 1865 [1866] 1867 1868 ... 3842