Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1863 1864 [1865] 1866 1867 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124433 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27960 on: February 24, 2013, 06:43:41 pm »

Also, I seem to be getting bars of silver from somewhere, despite not having found any silver ore on the map, nor ordering the melting of such (or metal objects of the kind). Just saw the dwarves dropping off a load, but I have no clue as to where they got it. Anyone have any ideas?

Tetrahedrite and galena both give a bar of silver, with a 20% and 50% chance respectively. Thats probably where its coming from, unless you bought some from a caravan or melted down silver items, both of which you said you haven't done.

EDIT: dang, ninja'd.

Oh well, might as well say something about my fort. I realized I didn't embark on the clown fort as I thought I had, so I decided to shift my entire embark over a tile. Wasn't an old fort, nor did I have anything of value set up there, so I just regened the world and used the same spot.

My starting 7 have so far avoided the dust clouds, narrowly escaping the last one that decided to cover the entrance. Thankfully the door had just been installed, and the last straggler (stupid sleeping mason!) managed to get inside before the storm hit. The water buffalo, not so lucky.

Working on sealing part of the magma pipe up, setting up magma forges and smelters, and getting the basic living and working areas carved out. Work is slow with only one dabbling miner, but that's what I get for trying to be efficient and bring all my own materials for crafted gear.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:47:31 pm by Lich180 »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27961 on: February 24, 2013, 06:48:12 pm »

Also, I seem to be getting bars of silver from somewhere, despite not having found any silver ore on the map, nor ordering the melting of such (or metal objects of the kind). Just saw the dwarves dropping off a load, but I have no clue as to where they got it. Anyone have any ideas?

Tetrahedrite and galena both give a bar of silver, with a 20% and 50% chance respectively. Thats probably where its coming from, unless you bought some from a caravan or melted down silver items, both of which you said you haven't done.

EDIT: dang, ninja'd.
Galena always gives silver, the 50% is for lead.

Oh well, might as well say something about my fort. I realized I didn't embark on the clown fort as I thought I had, so I decided to shift my entire embark over a tile. Wasn't an old fort, nor did I have anything of value set up there, so I just regened the world and used the same spot.

My starting 7 have so far avoided the dust clouds, narrowly escaping the last one that decided to cover the entrance. Thankfully the door had just been installed, and the last straggler (stupid sleeping mason!) managed to get inside before the storm hit. The water buffalo, not so lucky.

Working on sealing part of the magma pipe up, setting up magma forges and smelters, and getting the basic living and working areas carved out. Work is slow with only one dabbling miner, but that's what I get for trying to be efficient and bring all my own materials for crafted gear.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27962 on: February 24, 2013, 09:08:51 pm »

I fail at punching holes with controlled cave-ins. Seems there's still more for me to learn.

In the meantime, I sacrificed one (mostly) unloved dwarf to Armok channeling the hole manually, and the two others accidentally when I dropped rock blocks on their head. But now my garbage chute that leads to the semi-molten rock is complete.
With only three deaths. That's gotta be a safety record!

Also, as soon as I'm done training my metalcrafter to legendary (I have gobs of copper, and more than a thousand individual copper bolts to melt down left over from archery practice) I'm going to strip the all-masterwork steel armor off my legendary axdorf squad and stud it with brass. And maybe silver.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27963 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:47 pm »

That goddamn magma crab made a legendary mason dodge off the floor he was building over the volcano! Silkymighty the magma crab must die!

Other things that must die include the elemental mages besieging and their horde of undead, and the bruteman ambush party that is assaulting them.

Unfortunately, trained soldiers and equipment are in desperately short supply. In fact, some migrants would be a nice treat right about now.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:48:50 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27964 on: February 24, 2013, 10:05:37 pm »

That goddamn magma crab made a legendary mason dodge off the floor he was building over the volcano! Silkymighty the magma crab must die!

Other things that must die include the elemental mages besieging and their horde of undead, and the bruteman ambush party that is assaulting them.

Unfortunately, trained soldiers and equipment are in desperately short supply. In fact, some migrants would be a nice treat right about now.
I know that feeling all too well. I've been glass-capping my volcano to prevent any further attacks by it (making glass bridges to save on materials). It gets frustrating when skilled dwarves get fed to those things.

In other news, I fended off a siege kudos to the cutout, and my moderately skilled marksdwarves. (fortunately, they were melee on the other side. Killed a few of them with silver and copper bolts I bought). Just as well, their leader got mauled by my gateway system, as well as a squad of rhesus macaques. The corkscrew and disc system especially rendered them well into rhesus pieces. Nice to see some blood and bits fall into that nearby pool, as well as knowing that by shutting access on and off by will, I can reroute invaders through that grinder as many times as I wish.

Here's news it worked (in the case of the siege leader, he had 10-pages worth of painful hits, and that was on the first trap alone (remember, both first and last are 10x oaken (heaviest AG wood) ☼Spiked Ball☼ (all are ☼quality☼); glass ones are just as nasty, but 5x ☼green glass corkscrews☼ and 5x ☼green glass serrated discs☼. I assume they auto-clean (spin-dry), because after a short time, they unjam, ready for another poor sap to fall in. I love these traps):

EDIT:
Additional note, I still have yet to actually mine out a proper base (minus the farmlands and farm-based industries in a sandy cave I made), but all the material I have been using in building my main base is still just from the perimeter cut alone; and I intend to cut it as deep as the lowest level (just below river line), before I start work on an actual quarry (still wondering where a good spot to start would be). So far, I'm making the base a rhyollite bottom-level, and granite and glass the rest of the way up.

EDIT EDIT:
Nothing too noteworthy making a new post for. Considering my supplies, and the fact that I've actually been winging it this entire time, I'm taking the week off from playing to get a little more used to building plans beforehand to work off of; because I noticed a flaw or two looking back. Additionally, I am using different materials for design reasons, and I want to pull it off properly aesthetically. I mean, this is one of my nicer forts I've had that's lived a decent amount of time so far (5+ years), so i'm taking some pride in this place (about as much as my airship, I'm putting that much pride into it), and making it fancy. Especially also considering this is also my first actual attempt at making a mostly-dedicated aboveground fort, starting it with an alternative-style unorthodox quarry, using the perimeter as my collection grid, digging as deep as the cavern layer (without puncturing it; some necessary cheating (reveal) may be due to pull it off). When that time rolls around, I'll make an actual quarry somewhere to take care of the rest of the perimeter from another angle, and downward. Also, it apparently turns out the perimeter quarry is a deadlier trap than I initially thought. I had someone fall down there and go splat (yet not die). May have been a merchant/trader or something, because my game reported no losses on my end, but the splatter looked painful, but the corpse was gone (cleanup crew? Or did they somehow live a 7Z fall?).

Anyways, I'm using Paint.Net to take care of the planning with my own set of color-coordination to tell things apart. I'll maybe post a few images when I make sufficient progress. I might, for the hell of it, finally start designing the BloodAxe with it when I have the time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:44:31 pm by Itnetlolor »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27965 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:15 pm »

Multiple recent goblin army visits to Razorfists.  The marksdwarf squads have "come of age" as a result.  They and the traps in the Kill Box repelled both attacks and inflicted near total losses on the goblins, their mounts, and support monsters.  Goblins and mounts caught in the cage traps (along with a bunch of annoying badgers) were pitted and used for additional crossbow practice by the less-experienced squads.

The melee squads are not proceeding in training as quickly as hoped, but are at this point mostly coin-star trained for greater speed and have a full set of steel armor (along with some adamantine battle axes.)  With the defenses being built out they will get more practice since it is expected that more thieves will be caught and there is a greater chance of engaging goblin forces piece meal rather than in large multi-squad groups.

More of the hillside had been walled in and de-ramped.  Along with additional archery bunkers and a surface set of gates on each of the access tunnels.

And the fortress' weaponsmith got a mood and went and made a spiky giant nerfball worth almost 5 million dwarfbucks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The "Eyes of Strangling" is now on display as a weapon trap in a heavily traveled fortress hallway.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27966 on: February 25, 2013, 02:35:57 am »

My dwarves thought it would be funny to provoke the flying fire breathing horses.
4 !!dwarves!! were consumed by the inferno.

2 dwarves with fey moods went stark raving mad and died.
NO I DON'T HAVE ANY PLANT CLOTH, NO I DON'T HAVE ANY GLASS THERE ISN'T EVEN ANY SAND
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27967 on: February 25, 2013, 02:49:02 am »

I've got a few projects on the go at the moment.

First is the pit over the dodge-me trap bridge at the entrance - by the time it's done it will be about 45 z-levels deep, with smoothed walls all the way down.

Second is my water reservoir. 55x55 tiles, and (eventually) 25 z-levels deep, with at least 7 'taps' every 5 levels down. I have already set up a few repeaters and a water reactor, all of which are now waiting on water. I had a reservoir in my last fort, but when winter came it slowly ran out of water, so I want a bigger supply.

Third is the pair of obsidian-block constructed towers I am building - one on either side of the brook. They already have fortifications ready for my marksdwarfs, and will eventually have hives in them for bee products.

Something else I am going to build is a gladiator pit, in which I will put Sedast the Ship of Bones, a forgotten beast (A towering three-eyed tarantula. It has two long, straight horns and is ravening. It's crimson exoskeleton is sleek and smooth. Beware it's poisonous bite!). Sedast will be fed on a steady diet of goblins, and will get the occasional treat of dwarven nobility.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27968 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:07 am »

You aren't smelting tetrahedrite or galena, are you? They each have a chance of producing silver bars.

Ah, there we go, that's what does it. Smelting tetrahedrite like crazy (since that's all I seem to have on my map, I'm out of luck on iron as usual), so that's most likely where my mystery silver is coming from.

Thanks for clearing that up!
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27969 on: February 25, 2013, 07:22:26 am »

A werelizard showed up to give me the first taste of fun.
It severely injured a fisherdwarf (He has recovered), bit one of my drakes (The attacks just bounced off it's tough hide) and then finally got murdered by military.

Then a wild raptor bit off the hunting dog's head.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27970 on: February 25, 2013, 08:26:23 am »

I am letting the tantrum spiral unfold, started by one dwarf stupid enough to die of thirst (seriously, how is that possible when there was more than 1K drinks available?). Going from 120 dwarves to 50 or something (including babies/children). The spiral is slowing down so that's a good thing.
Also, I managed to set up my magma forges, so I will soon have silver statues everywhere and prevent more tantrum spirals.
I am trying to understand why my embark doesn't like spores: it looks like frozen oceans don't allow tree farms.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27971 on: February 25, 2013, 09:02:24 am »

Second is my water reservoir. 55x55 tiles, and (eventually) 25 z-levels deep, with at least 7 'taps' every 5 levels down. I have already set up a few repeaters and a water reactor, all of which are now waiting on water. I had a reservoir in my last fort, but when winter came it slowly ran out of water, so I want a bigger supply.
I built a huge one like that once.  Took so long to fill it up that I got bored with the fortress and abandoned before the water had risen 3 z-levels.  I was filling with one "tap" from a river.  If you're going to do this, I would recommend damming and re-routing the entire river directly into the reservoir.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27972 on: February 25, 2013, 09:58:32 am »

This thread goes so quickly!

The battle against spatters of Olin Hourknife's dwarf blood appearing everywhere continues. I do not know who or what Olin Hourknife was, but his/her/its blood appears all over new constructions many z-levels about the ground, and in random tiles across the over- and under-world. Even DFHack's clean command, while temporarily ridding the place of blood, proves ineffective - the blood comes back. This is by far the most peculiar haunting I've experienced. Happily, it doesn't seem to be poisonous.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #27973 on: February 25, 2013, 11:54:54 am »

A werepanther just showed up, fortunately close to a pair of my soldiers who were hunting Mosquito Men.

They killed him, but not before he grabbed one of my soldiers by the right upper arm and tore the entire arm clear off.

Ouch.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #27974 on: February 25, 2013, 12:05:16 pm »

Apparently my one-armed soldier refused treatment, got out of bed, left the hospital, and proceeded to continue his military duties.

What dedication! I just hope he doesn't bleed to death.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007
Pages: 1 ... 1863 1864 [1865] 1866 1867 ... 3842