Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124800 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27900 on: February 21, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »

Start an accidental fire in the booze? :/
Love your sig, man! I was wondering myself how to respond to avelon's sig.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27901 on: February 21, 2013, 06:36:06 pm »

Everyone was drafted but there was not enough armor or weapons to go around... Also wrestling trolls is not a good idea...
This won't end well, it never does...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27902 on: February 21, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »

Bunch of moody children, several dead elves and a marsh titan made out of flame showed up and burned down the entire goddamn forest. I haven't gotten around to punching it in the face yet, since he's happily sitting in the corner surrounded by a huge ash field. I'm contemplating keeping him as a pet/mascot for Catsmiths and setting him on the migrants.

Also discovered that my planned cistern, positioned under the dining hall, was not entirely thought through - I forgot to account for water pressure. Thankfully, I discovered this before I drowned my entire fortress.

All in all, an average day in Dwarf Fortress.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #27903 on: February 21, 2013, 09:06:01 pm »

My recent attempts at settling in Evil biomes:

Fort 1: half sinister forest, half mirthful forest
Notable features: glumprong, sun berries, hematite, flux layer
Evilness: syndrome rain (nausea/fever), reanimation
Cause of death: tantrum spiral - didn't bring enough booze, dwarves went outside to drink out of murky pools, got rained on, vomited into said pools, then got upset about drinking vomit

Fort 2: haunted forest
Notable features: dead trees, kaolinite
Evilness: non-syndrome evil rain, reanimation
Cause of death: entire party wiped out by zombie wild boars

Fort 3: haunted marsh, serene forest
Notable features: glumprong, silver barb, feather trees, hematite, coal
Evilness: reanimation
Cause of death: entire party wiped out by zombie beak dogs

Fort 4: sinister badlands, calm glacier
Notable features: river
Evilness: didn't last long enough to find out
Cause of death: entire party wiped out by zombie two-humped camels - before they even got underground

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27904 on: February 21, 2013, 09:31:15 pm »

In Cloisterspattered pigs outnumber dwarves 39 to one at the current date, mostly because there's only one dwarf left alive.
I should probably mention he's outside the fort proper. Any dwarves not on the outer side of the lead wall that blocks the entrance have drowned due to intentional flooding.
The fort was doomed even before I decided to drown everyone. My fort had been crippled by goblin sieges (one lasting a year or so), and my military nonexistent. The planned living level became a hospital, my manager died, and food ran out after I didn't notice a farm had been destroyed until it was too late.

The pigs will drown too.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #27905 on: February 21, 2013, 09:50:37 pm »

Good tidings from my fortress!

Despite inauspicious beginnings, the fortress is doing well. I keep getting migrant waves, which is a really good sign. The Dwarven civilization might have a chance of suriving after all!

To make things better, my friend in the river has moved up stream, chasing wild carp, so he's no longer popping job cancelations! He's doing a nice job of gibbing them when they come into reach.

Also, my Hero, Birdwig has arrived. With the squads all equipped with iron armor, they are ready to do work. Goblins don't stand a chance against my army of six. Firebreathing creatures on the other hand do.

Some creature managed to make my local hunter all roasty toasty, sparking a plains fire. Ashes are everywhere. A few dwarves died, but no one of great importance. No spirals either, which is a good thing. Also, one fun fact of note, a person in my hospital died of starvation and dehydration lately. Apparently, they don't  feel like taking care of dwarves that aren't "resting" even though he couldn't wak without a crutch. Dwarves can be evil sometimes.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27906 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:11 pm »

Plans to move everyone from the soil-layer fortress to a deeper, stone fortress are underway. I had fun using Down Stairs and Cancel Designations to draw a dorf face in the middle of the soil fort (picture in a few), but as I'm running out of space to put beds above the aquifier, I really need this new space. Robbed the elves blind, twice now, but still no humans to trade with/steal from. Man, I didn't realize working without a stone industry could be so Fun.

Spoiler: Edit: Picture (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27907 on: February 22, 2013, 08:19:39 am »

I've had two visits from a crazed Werepanther that, surprisingly, seems to be acting as some sort of Guardian Angel for the fort :D

The first time it turned up, then anti-climatically converted back to Human form immediately and ran off.

The second time it arrived and started attacking something in a frenzy. I hastily deployed my soldiers, only to realise it was mauling a Goblin Thief to death. After biting his head open it once again transformed into a Human and fled.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27908 on: February 22, 2013, 10:00:33 am »

A pair of elven traders arrived.
In less than a second, my axedwarf chopped them both to bits.
Their severed limbs now decorate my refuse stockpiles.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27909 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:13 am »

Damned elves refused to trade after I somehow tried to trade them an item they dropped last year that had wood decorations on it. They forgot they are inside my sealed depot, with angry, bismuth bronze clad dwarves a few paces away.

Oh well, not like they brought anything good anyways.

A migrant wave brought a vampire with them, and he was sent to the roof of the furnaces, which are suspended above the volcano. A nefarious dust cloud has taken him along for a ride.

A werebeast of some sort was caught in a cage trap meant for an elephant, and all I know about it is it is a dwarf. No idea what kind of animal it is, nor do I know what to do with it. Hopefully it can live in a cage for a while.

Annoyingly enough, the closest I've gotten to capturing elephants was when the recent dust cloud passed over a herd that was only a few paces away from the animal traps I've set up. 7 elephants, all died to the rot dust. At least I have a ton of meat and bones now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:59:54 am by Lich180 »

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #27910 on: February 22, 2013, 12:35:03 pm »

A pair of elven traders arrived.
In less than a second, my axedwarf chopped them both to bits.
Their severed limbs now decorate my refuse stockpiles.

As the Elves arrive,
My axe is sweeping, deadly.
Your limbs are now mine.

I had to translate your quote into haiku. I don't know why.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27911 on: February 22, 2013, 02:08:33 pm »

Bastards! The dead walk, and although we hide, the dwarven caravan and three dwarves were killed, including the militia captain of my second melee squad and a recruit.

They're also murdering my giant mole population. I had a special purpose in mind for those moles, assholes!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27912 on: February 22, 2013, 02:13:58 pm »

I just started a new fortress on the border between a haunted mountain and a mirthful savanna. It's my first experience with an evil biome, and so far, things haven't been going well. The wagon was on the evil side, where it immediately started raining blood, and my dwarves were accosted by a skeletal owl that wouldn't stay dead. Then a herd of undead yaks chased everyone around the map for a while. Before I even got my first migrants, there was a tantrum spiral in which one of my miners killed the architect/expedition leader, the carpenter, and the only male dog. I'm thinking that I'll need to set up magma forges sooner rather than later...and that I know just the dwarf to breach the volcano.

Thermi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27913 on: February 22, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »

I ran out of stockpiles for refuse, so all the rotting goblin corpses have to stay in my courtyard and for some reason, animals die all over the fort and start to rot. I have no clue why that is happening.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27914 on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:26 pm »

For corpses and other (virtually?) never-rotting refuse, i find an atomsmasher justified. Alternatively, you can compact corpses by just ordering them dumped in a one-grid garbage zone, preferably with a refuse pile painted underneath or a... permanent solution like a chute into magma.

Doesn't the game say anything about how the animals die? 'Starved to death' happened to me quite a lot until i worked out that grazers are too dumb to seek out fodder by themselves. Animals in longer-running forts eventually start dying of old age. Crammed pens/pastures can lead to deaths from animals infighting. And eventually there are deaths from hostile actions and syndromes, which are the harbingers of !Fun!
Pages: 1 ... 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 ... 3842