Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1860 1861 [1862] 1863 1864 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124668 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27915 on: February 22, 2013, 05:56:12 pm »

Taking a run at a fort in this world

Embarking from a dead civilization in an area with 20 or so necro towers.

One migrant wave, no caravans from any civ.

Going to let the fort run for a long while and will give periodic updates here.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27916 on: February 22, 2013, 06:05:33 pm »

I have had an invasion from elves, with giant mosquito, giant bears,giant bobcat, etc..etc...

then, suddenly a titan arrived, a towering worm with bronze feather (and who fly), and who breathed fire. Quite a problem for me.

He attacked a part of the elf army...and while the giant mosquito was flying away, the titan was chasing him and destroyed everything under him with his breath...and after several attempts, the elf shot him dead. I imagine the epic fight.

Now all the surroundings of my fortress are burning.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27917 on: February 22, 2013, 07:01:12 pm »

The wagon was on the evil side
Pro tip: The wagon will situate itself in whichever biome you last selected (F1F2F3) on the site-selection screen.  Next time choose the mirthful biome before you press (e).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27918 on: February 22, 2013, 07:28:11 pm »

Pro tip: The wagon will situate itself in whichever biome you last selected (F1F2F3) on the site-selection screen.  Next time choose the mirthful biome before you press (e).
Wait, really? I should have done that for my sinister/terrifying/joyous wilds embark.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27919 on: February 22, 2013, 08:30:46 pm »

Wait, really? I should have done that for my sinister/terrifying/joyous wilds embark.
In my experience, yes really.

qoou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27920 on: February 22, 2013, 08:57:39 pm »

After real-time months of on-off playing, I finally have my magma pump set up. 150 levels, ~20 of them artificially constructed, of masterwork steel pumps and locked steel doors, with a nice, symmetrical, waterwheel powerplant supplying them. I'm afraid to toggle the on-lever. Managed to stay at 30 FPS so far, but that's about to change.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27921 on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:26 pm »

I got a migrant with no hands. I may need to engineer an unfortunate accident for this poor shlub.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27922 on: February 22, 2013, 10:17:05 pm »

I got a migrant with no hands. I may need to engineer an unfortunate accident for this poor shlub.
This made me think of that joke about the armless guy whose face rung a bell.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27923 on: February 22, 2013, 10:25:11 pm »

A peasant militia is really only as good as the (lack of) armour you've equipped them with.

Turns out forty angry, naked dwarves > eight goblins with hammers.

Welp, maybe my armorer will actually get to work now.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27924 on: February 23, 2013, 08:06:05 am »

My fortress has become a village, and now it has everything a dwarf could possibly want!
Limestone, hematite, sand for growing plants, and a river with plenty of fish.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27925 on: February 23, 2013, 08:15:16 am »

Five spawn of holistic have engaged the settlement of Greaterspear, and all met thier ends. However, the fortress' Colonel was injured, and I fear for her life. Spawn bites have a chance of turning a dwarf into more spawn, and while compared to survivors of a noncanon Spearbreakers she'd scarcely pose a real threat, the loss of a soldier is always a blow I have difficulty recovering from.

One of my best is also in a seemingly permanent coma (despite sleeping he is listed as drowsy,) but the raw speed and strength of his so far only present squadmate more than makes up for this (He outran and killed two kobolds and two spawn scouts.)

A massive construction program underground to build living quarters in the style of the Spearbreakers, decadent 3x3 apartments with 1-2 cabinets and a chest along with the requisite bed, is under way. We have a massive army of smoothers since we have little to do at present otherwise. The mess hall was also designed in a similar fashion and is likewise nearly complete, needing only its floors to be smoothed. Had a possession mood that made one bitchin' armor stand; haven't looked into it but since it's a mood I can only assume it is of the utmost of form.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27926 on: February 23, 2013, 09:35:25 am »

There's been a year-long party at Catsmiths; first a giant flaming blob showed up as the DJ; he really burned the house down with his act and is currently chilling out in the corner, having totally failed to move for a while now. I think he may be in a drug-induced coma.

A large group of goblins descended on the fort and formed a mosh  pit outside my gates, but since they couldn't break in they eventually moved on. As I opened the gates some more goblins snuck in and joined the party, murderising thirty-odd dwarves. They are now cutting down any and all migrants who come to Catsmiths.

Kea men have been stealing my masterwork iron battleaxes, which has made my weaponsmith and my militia commander both tantrum repeatedly.

My master brewer is the laziest son of a bitch on the face of the planet; we had 900 booze a while ago; stocks fell to 170 and he still refused to go brew anything; I have ordered everyone not currently mining or dying to go brew. I have a small army of farmers trying to make shit grow; normally I am drowning under a hail of plump helmets by year three, but I think someone's been eating the seeds 'cause I am hovering at around fifteen plants, total, for brewing.

Catsmiths might be in trouble.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27927 on: February 23, 2013, 09:56:48 am »

Naaaaah, Errythang's fiiiiine.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27928 on: February 23, 2013, 10:34:41 am »

Well, I've finally set up an area to be dug out for proper bedrooms, as well as get some much needed stone. Haven't been digging as much as I usually do, instead cramming everything into a 30x30 work/living/everything else space. Time to expand.

I'm in the process of setting up more animal trap areas, and getting my king cobra pair to breed. Need more of them, before they decide to die off on me.

All in all, nothing eventful has happened yet. I imagine with the local weather, sieges and ambushes won't be nearly as bad as I've had them in the past. Plus I've kept fort wealth down substantially, and built up a good military first, so hopefully we don't face anything too rough.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27929 on: February 23, 2013, 12:40:26 pm »

Magma Hammer testing is going well...

EDIT:
And the result of putting the trade depot next to the magma hammer, and having merchants arrive...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:43:53 pm by vjek »
Pages: 1 ... 1860 1861 [1862] 1863 1864 ... 3842