Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1858 1859 [1860] 1861 1862 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124807 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27885 on: February 21, 2013, 02:02:35 am »

My isolation fort (sent everyone downstairs in autumn first year and walled off the staircase) is ticking along nicely: 21 years, 76 dwarfs (started with embark + two hardcoded waves for 17 total), no idea what the fortress value is - without trade, i would have had to buy appraisal at embark. I have a depot in the party hall, so the caravans don't go mad and throw their shit all over the surface. Invaders off - all it'd do would be making the caverns off-limits forever. There are eleven dwarf diplomats camping on the surface; can't get more because of goddamn mayor re-elections.

Out of interest, i made a squad of two young dwarfs and set them to train. Well, this actually seems to work; i had only tried with large squads before, and those kept getting stuck on 'organise training' because one or two were always off getting a drink or a bite or a nap; they advanced slower than off-duty squaddies just doing individual drills.
This two-dwarf squad got from nothing to competent axedwarfs in just under one and a half year. It also seems that one of them learns just a little bit more quickly, but that very consistently, so training is practically always him (they're both boys) teaching the other - the habitual teacher is now 'adequate teacher', the other 'adequate student' and 'adequate concentration'. Nifty! Definitely something to keep in mind if i ever decide to really get into the military side of the game.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27886 on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:46 am »

Out of interest, i made a squad of two young dwarfs and set them to train. Well, this actually seems to work; i had only tried with large squads before, and those kept getting stuck on 'organise training' because one or two were always off getting a drink or a bite or a nap; they advanced slower than off-duty squaddies just doing individual drills.

I had this problem too, and I noticed that it helps if you lower the minimum amount of dwarves required for training (default is ten, I usually set it to five or six). The result of this is that the whole squad will train when they have nothing else to do, but training won't be interrupted if a couple of them are goofing off somewhere.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27887 on: February 21, 2013, 06:55:04 am »

So, I've got like the most industrious expedition leader ever. He's single-handedly dug out most of my newest reseidential wing, 'cause the other miners are too damn slack.

And a leatherworker went melancholy 'cause I didn't have the right cloth; I even butchered Elves for him and he didn't appreciate it. Fuck him, he can die for all I care.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Thermi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27888 on: February 21, 2013, 10:37:44 am »

I have problems with dealing with the constant harassment of Thieves assaulting my people as soon as they are discovered and I'm trying to get enough fuel for my massive smithing operation, because I think, that cutting down the whole forest would be kind of counterproductive for future fuel production. (Half of the forest has already been cut down.)
Oh, and the whole military finally has steel armor and weapons. YAY!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27889 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:43 am »

... I'm trying to get enough fuel for my massive smithing operation, because I think, that cutting down the whole forest would be kind of counterproductive for future fuel production. (Half of the forest has already been cut down.) ...
Nah, they all grow back.  Go forth, cut down the hippie-poles!  8) 
If you have two underground soil layers, and breach & seal the caverns, you can grow an entire Z-level worth of underground trees & crops, too.  Pretty much solves any fuel issues you might have, pre-magma.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27890 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56:44 am »

Well the goblin snatchers and kobold thieves are not as much of an issue on this embark as they can be this early in a fort's life. The nefarious dust has been exposing pretty much everything on the surface, killing the sneaky buggers before they can even get close to the fort.

That means my 4 man milita is getting bored, but at least I don't have to worry about injuries yet.

One unlucky kobold seems to have had its teeth rot out of its head before dying.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah. No combat report, no nothing. Only conclusion is he breathed the dust in, rotted his face off, then died.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #27891 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »

A screenshot tells it best.

Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27892 on: February 21, 2013, 04:03:38 pm »

I present the above great work of art, "A Trail of Death," depicting some catastrophic battle that ended with a trail of blood, guts, limbs, and dorf corpses leading into the fortress.

Population at 65, large part-time militia. Assembling a full time swordsman squad now, so I'll have proper soldiers always armed and  ready to meet a given threat.

Only fatality so far was a farmer who got shot in the base of her neck because she was slow to respond to the "HIDE IN THE FOOD CELLAR" order while she was topside. Been getting routine injuries but thankfully nothing irreversible. We have ungodly mountains of food and drink now, and can provide for ourselves but food is pretty much my chief import besides metals and ores... Not sure wat do there...

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27893 on: February 21, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »

Start an accidental fire in the booze? :/
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27894 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:24 pm »

My new fortress was going swimmingly; I chose a very promising embark with a 40 z-level tall mountain rising above a segment of relatively flat swampland. I recieved several immigrant miners in the first two waves and now have a tunnel leading from my farms down under the swamp to the peak, where I'm constructing magma forges around the volcano. Threats have thus far consisted of dragonmen trying unsuccessfully to roast dwarves (unsuccessful thanks to the constant rain) and kobold thieves. I also happened to embark upon a cave, which was inhabited by some giant moles which are now happily making babies for my dwarves to hunt. I'll have to make sure to keep them locked away in the cave's passages later.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27895 on: February 21, 2013, 04:20:58 pm »

My baron is throwing tantrums. I've had him less than a season, and he's already miserable. Great. And he's pissed because my captain of the guard had a nicer dining room (wasn't very nice, but I guess that the one belonging to the dear baron was, at some point, worse). I've built him a brand new one, decorated it with golden statues and everything, and he's still pissed.

Maybe some colourful lava in it will make him happy. Maybe do it while he's eating. You know, as a surprise and all. Granted, I'll have to dig down to the lava and pump it up for this to happen, but I'm starting to feel like it'd be worth it.

On an unrelated note, how often will a dwarf change his clothes, given the opportunity? I mean, I've been making clothing constantly for a year now (at two shops), and yet I've still got some unfortunate fellows (mostly on-duty military) that never sees a scrap of it before someone snatches it. Don't see why they're grumpy about it though, they've got armour! And that'll NEVER go out of fashion!
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27896 on: February 21, 2013, 04:35:34 pm »

Accidentally broke into the caverns, now I am under siege by troglodytes, giant toads, while being assaulted by goblins... With the occasional kobold saying hello...
Thought the scorching temperature would kill them off... About to abandon...
This won't end well, it never does...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27897 on: February 21, 2013, 04:59:39 pm »

Nay! You will fight to your last like a true dorf! Unless y'know, you're hoping for legendary workers to migrate in a new fort.

@ Clothes - They seem to prefer to switch once their stuff shows some wear, but they tolerate it until it gets to X<item>X. The civies seem to like to stack their clothes so make sure them Infantrydorfs got some good metal pants.

In other news, migrants came with a disturbing disparity of two males and.... I think a dozen females.

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27898 on: February 21, 2013, 05:00:53 pm »

Gremlin [omitted] me over by opening the bridge... Now everyone is dead...

This won't end well, it never does...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27899 on: February 21, 2013, 05:08:31 pm »

Did they at least out up a fight? Of a sort?
Pages: 1 ... 1858 1859 [1860] 1861 1862 ... 3842