Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1795 1796 [1797] 1798 1799 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122040 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26940 on: December 13, 2012, 10:48:47 pm »

I may have had a good break; during the fight between the four dingo men and the werewolf, the werewolf got in plenty of nibbles. Two of which remvoed in missing limbs for the dingo men invovled, and thus, their deaths. At least one of those two who survived the ordeal was bitten,a nd the other has a couple wounds that are hopefully results of bites. Both these boys are in it to the end, though. They managed to beat the shit out of the werewolf, but nevertheless he survived as well and transformed back.

Unfortunately, those two survivors were each a sibling of those two who died (Ziggy's brother Iggy died, and Righty's crippled brother, Lefty, died. I was really hoping lefty would become a werebeast and thus have his right hand regenerate.)

Oh, and the cage traps apparently caught us some wombat people. One man, two women. Guess the dingo men have some snacks incoming!
And two male mountain goats. Chose the wrong place to butt heads, methinks.

[edit]

After waiting a full month, it was apparent that neither Ziggy or Righty were infected. The werewolf killed Ziggy, this time, and one dingo woman I dropped form above, named Sarah.

Additionally, one of the other dingo women, now nicknamed butt-hurt, had her tail ripped off by the ghost and nearly bled to death.

[edit of souls]

A dingo woman glassmaker went fey. She is moving unbelievably slowly. Maybe that's because my FPS is now in the single digits, for whatever reason. I blame the caravans bringing mountains of crap with their wagons.

Used DFliquids to set the depot on fire with magma. Hopefully this clears up some FPS. After the smoke dissipates, at least.

[edit of WTF?]

Spoiler: this just happened (click to show/hide)

Apparently the magmatic pressure is quite significant, because a (leather) hood has been lodged firmly in an iron oxide wall.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:24:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26941 on: December 14, 2012, 10:54:08 am »

I'm starting my megaproject, but I disabled invaders to do so. Not good enough yet to manage without that. It will be a 5Z pyramid where invaders will climb straight up when caravans will travel around each stair. Invaders will therefore suicide themselves on traps but the traps will force carvans to take a safe path.

The first level requires, alone, around 2000 stone blocks, the second 1200 blocks.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26942 on: December 14, 2012, 05:21:08 pm »

Trying to make myself a water cannon, using QuantumMenace as inspiration. Gotta make a partial surface fort, and figure out my drainage, since my upper level will be frozen year round and his method of drainage will not work when the outlet of the pumps are frozen. Also have to learn more about mine carts, I've used them for a few basic tricks, but nothing like this yet.

I'm thinking grates over the aquifer, with a fortification as a wall into the cannon should work. Might get stuff stuck in there, but its the only way I see to drain out the firing range.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26943 on: December 14, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »

A dwarf by the name of kumil Laborhealed got blood all over the dining room/food stockpiles. Pools of blood along a straight line. Looking at his thoughts page, his upper body and upper arms' fat is all gone. I don't know how this happened, but I suspect some sort of toxic plant produced by the random plant generator. Either that, or he put on some dragon scale clothing that had been caught in the recent magma-bombin of the depot and was still boiling hot.

Yeah, he definitely took some fireproof clothing from the depot after it had been exposed to magma; there's a second trail of pools of the idiot's blood leading away from the depot. Moron's lucky he's even still alive, but he's at least deathly pale now.

Nevermind. The fucking idiot just walked right back in there, and picked up yet another piece of superheated clothing (a hood) and put it right on his head. He made it as far as the exit of the depot area before falling over dead from blood loss in front of one of the dingo men.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:56:55 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26944 on: December 14, 2012, 06:03:05 pm »

Got my first seige recently. It was a group of lashers, and they came by right as my caravan of dwarves did. This is in the thrid or fourth year, because I forgot I had turned invaders off, and I was ready to test my defenses. The bloody caravan guards routed the whole lot after killing three of them.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26945 on: December 14, 2012, 06:12:40 pm »

The H.A.L.O. (heat and lava obsticle) device is more then one third complete. We're 75 years in, important dwarves are starting to die due to old age just now that the entire burial area is full.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26946 on: December 14, 2012, 08:23:55 pm »

Epic siege at Shadeswords.   :D

First of all, the artifact gold short sword was installed as a weapon trap at a junction of approach tunnels.  I figured it was an ideal weapon for pounding on goblins, thieves, mounts, etc. that could inflict injuries without getting a kill that would jam the trap.

The goblins arrived in late spring right after the elven traders made it into a tunnel running to the Trade Depot.  Four squads of cavalry (no flying mounts) and three squads of support monsters (cave crocodiles, giant cave spiders, more giant cave spiders.)  To top things off one of the goblin squads was commanded by the goblin's law-giver and sole living civilization leader.

Three goblin melee squads streamed into an access tunnel from the north while the spiders and crocodiles came in from the east.  A goblin crossbow squad loitered along towards an entrance and had little impact on the action.

The fortress garrison prepared for the defense by sending four squads of marksdwarves (5-6 dwarves each) to the fortifications of the fortress' "Kill Box".  (The access tunnels junction and then enter a large open chamber from the north.  This chamber is ditched to force attackers to run a zig-zag path to reach the fortress entrance at the south end.  The south side had fortifications for the marksdwarves.  On the west side is a fortification that a mine cart "cannon" can shoot loads of iron and silver weaponry.  Plus the mandatory array of weapon and cage traps spotted along the route.)  Dwarven melee squads are summoned a little later to rally by the gate and be ready to sortie if needed.

The two streams of attackers merge and start into the open area to be greeted by a storm of crossbow bolts from the waiting marksdwarves.  Goblin cavalry mounts are also being taken out by traps as well.  The numbers of the lead goblin squad thin out as they finish crossing the width of the chamber and start back on the "zag" side.  Their leader gets wounded and they start to retreat.  This causes the goblins to clump up a bit, slow down, and make a better target. 

A shot from the mine cart gun cripples the lead elements of the second squad and also pushes a number of wounded goblins and mounts into a ditch.  The second goblin squad starts to retreat as well.  The tunnel exits are sealed at this point to keep the goblins in.  This also locks out most of the goblin crossbow squad.

The support monsters are taking the lead now - sixteen giant cave spiders and eight cave crocodiles.  Traps and bolts are taking a toll, but they are advancing further and further along the path.  A shot from the mine cart gun kills a few, but they keep coming.

At this point a marksdwarf wanders out the gate and starts advancing down the zig-zag path towards the goblins.  He stops to fires a few bolts, but appears to run out and intends to enter melee combat with his copper crossbow.  He draws the attention of the remaining few giant cave spiders as they start tossing webs across the chamber and make transit a bit sticky. 

The marksdwarves are running low on bolts, so they are given orders to withdraw from the fortifications and reload their quivers.  Melee squads are deployed out the gate to take on the weakened goblin force head-on.  (At this point the spiders are dead, as well as the few crossbow goblins that got in.)  The line of melee dwarves meets the line of goblins and mounts right when the marksdwarf meets the goblins as well.  On the way an axe lord gets entangled in a giant spider web and triggers a weapon trap; leading to multiple injuries and the axe lord being disabled and unable to stand as he gets pummeled by iron spiked balls.

The marksdwarf in melee does fairly well.  He causes a elite axe goblin to dodge into a ditch, and then single-handedly kills a giant toad with consecutive hits to both rear legs and then a fatal crushing skull blow.  The regular melee dwarves then pass him and proceed to start carving up the goblins with sword, spear, and axe.  The goblins have scattered back into the closed access tunnels and the fight rapidly becomes squads of dwarves fighting in the various tunnels with the remaining goblin stragglers.

The goblin law-giver is found in a side tunnel suffering from a crossbow bolt wound and finished off.

The civilian population of the fortress is set to hauling bodies and pieces of bodies to the dump before they rot.  After that they have heaps of armor, weaponry, and clothing to haul off.  The wounded axe lord is carted off to the hospital for a multi-month stay that will include five splints being applied before he can leave.

Fifty goblins and mounts were killed, so a nice harvest of goblinite was had.  The weapon trap with the gold short sword did quite well in it's mission to inflict multiple wounding attacks without getting jammed by a kill.  Lots of bruises, but also a number of broken bones and torn ligaments inflicted as well.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26947 on: December 15, 2012, 12:27:01 am »

A goblin siege arrived while I had a piece of my wall taken out to do some construction outside.  Due to some poor military decisions and no masons being free at the time, the goblins and their mounted beasts were able to enter my fortress and kill over a hundred dwarfs.  There are only two survivors, aged three and two.  The boy, who I've nicknamed Zyzyrd, and his sister, Zas, have been given the ranks of "Boy King" and "Girl Queen".  They are currently locked in the mayor's office.

It seems that a troll broke a floodgate, since the fortress is flooding.  The goblins are all standing in one area, so if they stay there they will eventually drown.  However, it's gonna be a while, since the entire fortress has to fill up with water first.  I believe the children are safe from the flood, though I may have to unlock the doors to let them eat.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26948 on: December 15, 2012, 11:32:15 am »

1. Daggerplayed is now at 226 dwarves and there's rarely a week without another child being born. It's annoying, to say the least and I have no idea what to do when the children start to kill my FPS.

2. All of the legendary miners got crushed in a cave-in or rather fell 9z onto massive granite after a something collapsed. The toughest one survived heavily wounded but died later at the hands of my doctors. I'm not exactly sure if the chief medical dwarf (former butcher) is the right choice, but he'll learn eventually. Now there are only 5 adequate/competent miners that need to dig out the main spiral ramp and supply 80 masons with enough stone to work with. They'll learn too, I hope. Every piece of mudstone, granite and jet is immediatly turned into blocks and built into an above ground structure for which I have no real plan except "just keep building".
The spiral ramp is only down to -36z. I planned to have it go from  ground level to the magma sea at -100z with a continous 11x11 chasm in the middle... that may take a while but at least the miners will be legendary by then.

3. A militia captain and legendary swordsdwarf got wounded in battle. She lost her left foot and right hand and is now a skilled crutchwalker, wielding the crutch, the +iron shield+ and *iron shortsword* in her left hand. I can hardly imagine how the fighting looks, but she performs remarkably well. Oh, and she gave birth to another son while kicking a kobold so hard he died. I'll have an eye on her... that's one fine dwarven lady.

4. Again, the planned elven siege didn't appear for almost a year. I'm afraid I scared them off.  The goblins are also too peaceful for my taste. I need some sieges before the defensive walls are ready or I may get bored.

5. On a side note: I thought kea men bringing everything to a halt were strange. Now my soldiers are chasing giant bushtits all over the place ::)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26949 on: December 15, 2012, 11:34:29 am »

Building 4 multi-Z-level magma waterfalls in my entrance hall. I'm extremely worried about magma overflowing into my fort, due to the pipeline being open to the magma sea.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26950 on: December 15, 2012, 12:12:30 pm »

Building a water system, going really well! Made sure to put in loads of floodgates and have a drain so that it can all be emptied when I want to expand the system.
Other than for being able to just easily add wells and farms it's not that useful, though I'm thinking of how to make a water cannon. My main idea is to have a water column, filled by a pump stack, with a floodgate at the bottom. when the floodgate is opened the large amount of preasure should shoot water out of it at a good speed.
I will of course make it so that changing the water for magma, once I've hit it and brought it to the surface, is possible.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26951 on: December 15, 2012, 12:24:43 pm »

Playing around with the My Little Fortress Losing is !!Magic!! mod. I'm building an above ground pony town with a community dining hall and workshops below ground in the rock layers. I got a few houses up, workshops for producing goods and materials and the farms and apple orchards for growing. It's autumn of the first year at the moment here in "Goattrimmed."

A buzzard made the mistake of getting too close to the manager while he was leaving his house.

There was much more throwing and shattering of bones, but these are the highlights.

There's buzzard blood spattered all over the face of the manager's house now.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26952 on: December 15, 2012, 12:35:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nearly got 100zlvls of uninterrupted staircase in Silentthunders. We must build higher.

HIGHER.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26953 on: December 15, 2012, 12:36:45 pm »

@ Mr Space Cat - Indeed. Ponies don't fuck around in a fight. You wouldn't think the little technicolor weirdos would have the stomach to kill something, let alone use it as a rag doll and paint thier house with it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26954 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:27 pm »

I don't see how things that are basically mini unicorns with telekinesis could not violently shatter anything they came up against.

Have you heard what vanilla unicorns do to things?  And they don't have a grasp.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1795 1796 [1797] 1798 1799 ... 3842