Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1793 1794 [1795] 1796 1797 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122017 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26910 on: December 11, 2012, 02:19:08 am »

Heheh, the dingo twins' mother, Tira, is slowly stalking around with the "starting a fist fight" job.

So cute, slowly stomping across the lawn. I bet she's going to go ineffectually slap at that one woman again.

Some other dingo man is walking the other way with the "report crime" job. Pre-emptive strike, or has this one been stalking the CoG since the last fist fight?

If they moved faster, I bet they'd catch up to their quarry at some point within the month.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26911 on: December 11, 2012, 03:53:28 am »

I found the lurking vampire in my !!engineering!! fortress. The anti-vampire patrols caught her feeding on her second victim but but failed to stop her draining the dwarf dry (making two more kills than any other fortress-mode vampire I've had). This victim was one of my founders, Ushrir Coalfed the wood-logistics dwarf. Had it been a child or some nameless mook, I'd have moved her to the vampire facility, but this outrage? Despite her status as a Great Macedwarf and a Great Mason, I've decided that this vampire should die.

I made her second victim's lover the hammerer, but my vampire ended up getting off lightly with a sentence of 401 days. I've therefore decided that she should face the firing squad:

Spoiler: The vampire solution (click to show/hide)

I'm undecided as to whether I should have her build some nice furniture before her execution or whether I should sentence her to damnatio memoriae, destroying all of her works and obliterating or concealing any artwork which references her.

In other news, despite danger and poor safety practices in the test lab, none of my test engineers were hurt by minecarts until a string of accidents involving a logistics route completely unrelated to the !!engineering!! I've been doing. One of these victims is a founder and chief medical dwarf, and he's fighting three infected bone breaks. He's been pale and faint, and I fear he may not make it. Should the worst happen, I've built him a fine tomb just off of the test lab he helped build with a clear glass coffin, a clear glass door, and an exceptional earthenware statue of someone shooting a hydra 200 years ago.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26912 on: December 11, 2012, 07:15:34 am »

For the 5th caravan in a row my Broker has absolutely refused to trade at the bloody depot, forcing me to go to "anybody can trade" and thus never being able to afford the goods I need since I'm currently expanding and doing lots of gearing up so I don't have as many craft goods as I should.  I can't figure out why.  He is a master Appraiser, his only tasks are hauling and health care, no one is injured, and yet as soon as a caravan rolls around he goes "on break" until they leave... and if not on break then he'll go drink, eat, sleep, and THEN go on break.

I'm seriously considering moving him to my bridge and squashing him because he's seriously getting on my nerves now.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26913 on: December 11, 2012, 07:57:08 am »

For the 5th caravan in a row my Broker has absolutely refused to trade at the bloody depot, forcing me to go to "anybody can trade" and thus never being able to afford the goods I need since I'm currently expanding and doing lots of gearing up so I don't have as many craft goods as I should.  I can't figure out why.  He is a master Appraiser, his only tasks are hauling and health care, no one is injured, and yet as soon as a caravan rolls around he goes "on break" until they leave... and if not on break then he'll go drink, eat, sleep, and THEN go on break.

I'm seriously considering moving him to my bridge and squashing him because he's seriously getting on my nerves now.

Make him a miner, and make someone else the broker.  Some dwarves just don't do the "time to work" thing well.  There is a stat for it.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26914 on: December 11, 2012, 08:03:49 am »

Excavations continue, looking for flux and coke materials.

All the craft shops are pretty much built.

The trap hallway is nearly complete.  It's been put on hold while large open areas in soil layers are opened up to look for sand.

I've found two caverns, both with their own magma pipes.  I may have missed a third somewhere, the digging continues.

Getting ready to experiment with some new trap ideas :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26915 on: December 11, 2012, 09:26:50 am »

My dwarves had this crazy dream where a beholder flew up from the second caverns into the central staircase and proceeded to incinerate anything that so much as twitched at it. The 2 unarmored hamerdwarves never stood a chance and the beholder went on to burn its way up through the fortress until it made to the surface and finally died from setting itself on fire. Only 3 or 4 out of 19 dorfs survived.

Good thing it was a dream.  ;)

In other news, the 2nd caverns has now been sealed off except for the well. It's spring, a new wave of migrants just arrived, and the smiths finally forged the first set of copper armor. I'll probably start looking for magma soon. Charcoal fueled forging is slow as heck.

We're getting a couple kobold raids, but the dogs at the door do a good job of catching them, and the two hammerdorfs do well at breaking the bones and faces of any kobolds they find.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26916 on: December 11, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »

I'm designing a pyramidal fort by hollowing out a hill/mountain. Caravans will have to walk their way around and up the hill before going into the depot while goblins will go straight up through traps.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26917 on: December 11, 2012, 01:07:44 pm »

I started filling my cistern from the river.  In retrospect, it would be better to have used a larger aquaduct, since it is taking so long.  I am quite annoyed to discover that my cistern is partly frozen.  When I dug it out, I accidentally had a portion of it stick outside of the mountainside.  Not a big deal, I thought--I simply walled it up and covered it over.  In late fall, it got too cold, and that portion is now frozen.  It is not an impossible situation--I should have enough water for my drowning chamber, but this is not ideal.  Does anyone know how to prevent water from freezing?  I used a regular floor on the top of the cistern.

Before it could be filled, however, I was besieged.  Most unfortunate, since it was just as a Dwarven caravan arrived.  The intial assault was beaten off by the caravan guards.  Regrettably, the merchant was killed, so no trading for me.  I sealed off the fortress, and deconstructed the trade depot, in the hopes that I can steal salvage the remains of the caravan.  I have not military.  If I can get enough water in the cistern, I will try the drowning trap.

I am slowly excavating my great hall.  Almost time to work out to the pillars on either side.  I expect the whole thing to be smoothed and detailed.  Hopefully the siege will wear itself out.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26918 on: December 11, 2012, 04:34:15 pm »

I was checking the animal pens near my entrance when all of a sudden I saw something odd. Out on the plains, out of nowhere yellow trails of puss appeared. On close inspection it appeared to be goblin puss. I quickly send in the military, and indeed the puss trails led them to three very suprised goblins snatchers.

Apparently they had been caught in the evil rain a bit earlier, and the syndrome gave them away.
And I thought tracking was going to be added in the next version of DF....   

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26919 on: December 11, 2012, 07:15:06 pm »

My marksdwarves, having been ordered to mercy-kill a mountain goat a hunter was too lazy to finish after snapping both her legs, have decided that an eagle hovering over the fortress courtyard will make better target practice. Some number of them stopped everything they were doing to train their weapons towards the sky, and let loose a hail fo poorly-aimed bolts in an attempt to bring the bird down. Not a single hit, and the thing was still taunting them up until one of them actually made it to the moutnain goat and beat her to death with her shield. Then the marksdwarves all decided to go back to their civilian lives.

The dingo people have had a month or so to calm down and manufacture enough clothing for everyone. I think they may yet survive.

A dingo child just went fey! Now I will have the chance to see if they can operate as legitimate citizens or not.

Also, looking at the dingo men; those born/purchased prior to their being made working citizens do not have likes/dislikes, deities of worship, or citizenship to the civ/fortress listed on their thoughts screen, but those born afterwards do. Those born afterwards still don't have family members listed, though, so my only way to guess at who is part of what family comes from the deaths of those two adolescents; at least two of the children still alive are the daughters of Mili, and several other children, and another adult in the textile industry, were the siblings of those two (Mili and her brother) who died. Their mother being Tira. At least, I'm pretty sure those were the only dingo man deaths so far.

[Edit]

After finishing her artifact, the child's relationship screen now properly shows that Tira is indeed her mother, and that she worships a diety and is a citizen of the dwarven civ, but not local government. However, it doesn't list any of the other children/adults as being her siblings, and neither does Tira's relationships screen show that any of her children are directly related to her. I know for a fact Tira gave birth to triplets in recent history; she has many children.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:42:53 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26920 on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:45 pm »

Not much, embarked on a tundra with the intent of making a freezing drowning trap, mine cart water cannon, and other such fun traps.

Only a few thieves and a lone snatcher have showed up, even after a migrant jewelcrafter withdrew from society and made a 48k dorfbuck rhodolite floodgate, doubling my wealth. Hoping to have the milita ready by the time everything hits the fan...

Lovely layer of marble, with sphaleritie veins running through it will house the bedroom area, should be nice and comfy... especially after living in sand and clay for the last year and a half.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:03:55 pm by Lich180 »

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26921 on: December 12, 2012, 03:15:23 am »

So I finally decided to look into the backgrounds of my latest migrant wave... and it turns out over half of them were dwarves from my past fort.  Particularly the ones who were in my military and had racked up dozens of goblin and forgotten beast kills.  They also happened to be the ones who are in a perpetual state of unhappiness no matter what I do to please them so it's a bit of a curse and a blessing.  Good fighters, always in a bad mood.  Kinda like a Klingon.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26922 on: December 12, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »

Wonder if klingons have to deal with berserkers and tantrum spirals...

Speaking of insanity and unhappiness, that melancholy dingo woman is still kickin'. She won't starve to death/die of thirst because I gave them NO_EAT and NO_DRINK, so I'm waiting to see if she'll die of exhaustion.
I make Spellcrafts!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26923 on: December 12, 2012, 01:53:07 pm »

Starting on a glacier, had issues working out you have to build rather than dig steps between the ice and rock, but things seem ok.

Despite the embark thingy saying no wood and me bringing along a small pre-milled forest, there's a thin line of trees near the map's edge.

And somehow I must have slipped or pushed the wrong key, as my 10 - 20 z-level exploratory stairway to find the top of the first caverns has ended up at -20 z (that's about 140 down) and there's warm rock below and beside, so I may just go to magma smelting.

Also managed to cut through the lowest caverns just above the magma layer, and before I could wall it off, nice, innocent cave blobs wandered in. McForester was running in panicked circles, trapped by two blobs, and then a random mason wandered by to pick up a rock for a chair (134 z-levels from the workshop?), and punched and killed a blob on it's way past. So I put McForester into the military by herself and got her attack the remaining blob. Somehow they ended up falling down quite a number of stairs and despite a broken arm, it looks like she landed on the cave blob, which, from the fluid everywhere, popped.

That excitement over, I've finally put Fortress Defence in, so i'm looking forward to an invasion, as these have been missing from 34.11 for a while for me...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26924 on: December 12, 2012, 03:03:12 pm »

A forgotten beast decided to get into an infinite battle with a queen ant woman.  The forgotten beast was just spamming my log by shooting webs, and the ant woman ws just constantly getting out before being webbed again.

Annoyed, I decided to just DFHack the annoyance away.  I had already determined that that cavern layer had nothing useful that I couldn't already get on the 2nd layer so I wasn't worried about removing a potential danger since that level was sealed off anyway.

I use 'slayrace him magma' because everything is better with magma.

Unfortunately the purifying powers of magma is overrated.  Because a forgotten beast made out of nothing but grime and filth is apperantly magma safe.  It seems our dwarves and goblins that die in magma still die dirty.

So I had a magma spewing forgotten beast wandering around the cavern for awhile before I determined that it would be hell on my FPS and DFHacked him away.

Lesson of the day:  Grime and filth is hella resilient, soap must be some really strong stuff.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1793 1794 [1795] 1796 1797 ... 3842