Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1794 1795 [1796] 1797 1798 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122034 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26925 on: December 12, 2012, 06:22:56 pm »

A new wave of migrants arrived at Flagfastened, and I've barely found what to do with the last wave of twenty three. Those two giant gargoyles are back and heckling the migrants...well, I say heckling, but in reality they just intercepted them on the way to the door and things could get ugly if I don't send the military to at least distract kill the two of 'em.

Luckily, the local pet brass golem that one of the haulers seems to have was nearby, and has grown enraged and is now moving in to attack the gargoyles.

In other news, production has ramped up as I use up all the copper we got to produce sets of armor and weapons for the military. We've got the start of a trap corridor built, and now we just need mechanisms and weapons to load 'em. I'm thinking of using either copper daggers or copper knuckle dusters, or possibly alternating rows of both. Also, the first crop of small fungiwoods seems to have grown, and the dorfs have been ordered with producing the goods to build a timber-yard.

Still no sign of magma. I'm digging out shafts along the level just above where warm stone was located, hopefully we can puncture into an air bubble above the magma sea sometime soon.

EDIT: Those giant gargoyles are no more. After a long battle consisting of much shooting of bolts, hammering of hammers, and punching a creature of living rock, I've concluded that we really need to find that magma some time to speed up the forging.

The battle came out with few losses. The worst was a dagger-wielding meatshield recruit getting his arm torn off, he died of blood loss not far from the scene. The brass swordsgolem got pretty torn up, but considering it doesn't seem to feel pain I'm sure it'll be just fine. There were a few broke bones here and there, the worst being someone's pelvis getting busted up, but some splints and a trip to the hospital should fix that up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:14:13 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26926 on: December 12, 2012, 06:32:34 pm »

Don't think there are ever actual air bubbles above the magma sea, besides the caverns themselves, Space. And it's also not really safe to mine horizontally out from where you struck warm stone; you could still be below the top of the magma sea, and tunnel right into it!

I haven't touched my fortress for several hours, but last I checked I got my first-ever wagons with the paklara caravan. I also need to rethink my intended trap design, because as it stands, when I dump the magma into the hallway, 1/7 magma will remain on the bridge even after the rest pours off into the drains, preventing caravans from accessing the depot for months afterwards. So I'm thinking I'll instead house the magma below the bridge, and drop stones into it to generate magma mist and flash-fry invaders, hopefully without blocking access to the depot.

But I already built the entirety of that setup, save for the green glass grates to catch goblinite!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26927 on: December 12, 2012, 06:36:04 pm »

My militia commander and his one squadmate, both legendary axelords, are suffering from skin necrosis after fighting a forgotten beast. They are both seemingly healthy, but omit miasma constantly. I am going to attempt to excise their rotting flesh, and replace it using adamantine thread (hopefully it will stay there forever), making the most valuable dwarves in the fort strategically also the most valuable monetarily.

E: they died.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:00:21 pm by MrWillsauce »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26928 on: December 12, 2012, 07:28:16 pm »

Ooooh goody, we just got our first ghost! A ghostly marksdwarf who I assume was a guard from the last caravan is currently chilling with one of our engravers down in the bedrooms.

Also, there's a mummy(common wild animal, not the other mummy) down in the caverns interrupting stuff. I can't fathom where the dwarves can see it, I swear I walled the first caverns off...that doesn't stop a determined marksdwarf from shooting it in the groin though. The guy nailed it in one shot.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26929 on: December 12, 2012, 11:55:56 pm »

The goblin army has discovered Shadeswords.  And probably already wants to forget it.  The initial one squad infantry siege entered and was obliterated.  A siege with three cavalry squads (cave croc and giant olm mounts, no flyers, yeh!) turned up and the two squads that actually entered a tunnel to attack were sealed in and shot to pieces by a combination of marksdwarves, traps, and mine carts spewing metal objects (serrated disks, spears, and spiked balls).  Got some nice combat reports with marksdwarves getting one-shot head or heart hits on goblins at 14-16 tile range as the goblins were crossing the far end of the fortress' "Kill Box".

The fort's Captain of the Guard is currently styling about with three artifacts:  Artifact steel leggings, an adamantine shield, and a recently constructed iron crossbow.  He was racking up kills with the crossbow in the most recent siege.  An artifact gold short sword was constructed, but has not been given to a dwarf to carry yet.  I expect that though bludgeoning a goblin with it might work, it won't be anywhere as effective in penetrating armor as a steel one.

Surface work has slowed with the completion of the new recruit exercise yard.  This was a walled off section of hill that has some bunkers and open space for drill practice for squads in order to avoid cave adaption.  The youngsters (about 20) are about to get drafted and trained.  The hauling force will be much smaller, but the fortress industrial cadre should be able to handle things.  And the current garrison units will now be split between the current barracks and the new barracks located in Castle Brass proper.

The cat population is being allowed to erode away.  Vermin control is now being taken care of by a flock of tame peregrine falcons.  And the war grizzly bears have had two sets of cubs so far, so that population is starting to increase.  I might start posting them soon along with a few more cave crocodiles in order to annoy the kobolds.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26930 on: December 13, 2012, 12:01:16 am »

Put the sword in a weapon trap in a noble's room, or assign it to him in the military screen. It's probably no use other than for its splendor and decoration.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26931 on: December 13, 2012, 01:37:13 am »

Well I finally broke into the 3rd cavern layer, yet again, and... discovered a slade labyrinth.  That had a hole in it.  And thus the epic battle over  of 400 undead crabs flooded my fort and my 40 military began.  I lost over 30  civilian dwarves  who were in the way though because it took that much time before my military could mobilize.  Shortly after the crabs were disposed of I struck magma... and for some reason I do not get the option for any magma devices.  No magma forges, no magma smelters, nothing.  It's... quite annoying because I've been looking forward to using magma.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:39:38 am by MythagoWoods »
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26932 on: December 13, 2012, 01:43:14 am »

... Shortly after the crabs were disposed of I struck magma... and for some reason I do not get the option for any magma devices.  No magma forges, no magma smelters, nothing.  It's... quite annoying because I've been looking forward to using magma.
Worst case, DFHack can usually show/enable the magma 'feature' of the embark, to permit those magma based workshops.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26933 on: December 13, 2012, 04:43:58 am »

Worst case, DFHack can usually show/enable the magma 'feature' of the embark, to permit those magma based workshops.
Well, can't seem to figure out the command for that.  Anyway, I just restarted DF and I can now make magma smelters and the like... still no magma forges though so it's still annoying.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26934 on: December 13, 2012, 08:57:33 am »

Pandemonium has struck FlagFame (ha, got the name right this time). It started with another pair of giant gargoyles attacking. The military killed them both in enough time, both kills by a recruit who lopped their heads off with his copper dagger...few losses, except for an iron-plated mastiff pet and some random frill lizard who alerted the fort to the gargoyles in the first place by getting killed. A dwarf got his torso torn up, but he didn't faint nor die of bloodloss and he's currently up on the surface...attempting to bludgeon a hair man to death.

Anyway, first there were the gargoyles...then there's suddenly this werelizard in the middle of the front rooms, surrounded by military and dogs. Luckily, the swarm of troops and dogs attacking have kept it from getting a shot in and possibly infecting my dorfs with werelizarditis. no one has really landed a hit on the lizard though, it keeps dodging everything, even the bolts.

As if that wasn't enough, the fort's first goblin snatcher decides to make himself known by wandering into the midst of the battle and getting caught between a hammerdorf and dagger-wielding recruit.

It's crazy, to say the least.

In other news, we hit what I assume is an adamantine spire rising up into the rock layers, but still no sign of magma.

...and now here's Urist with the weather: "It's raining muck, just like it always does. Back to you, Bay12."

EDIT: A log from the battle: "The hammerdwarf bludgeons the goblin thief in the nose from behind with his +silver war hammer+, bruising the skin!"

EDIT2: The lizard morphed back into a drow peasant and promptly was killed. That prick goblin theif hacked up a bunch of my dwarves due to his holding the high ground being in a 1 tile wide choke point, but the dwarves got him too.

And now to wrap errything up, an ambush of goblin lashers arrived to the party. The hammerdorf on the surface suffered a cruel, kinky death at the hands of many a whip. The levers have been pulled, and now we're waitin' for the goblins to wander off again as the military struggles to lick its wounds and my forges take forever to forge more copper armor and WHERE'S THAT MAGMA, DARN IT? Dig faster, dorfs!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:15:47 am by Mr Space Cat »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26935 on: December 13, 2012, 03:16:24 pm »

Working on the beds for my "Decoration" fort, came up with this beauty:

☼«☼oaken bed☼»☼

This is a masterful oaken bed created by Uabilik Sobirducim, It is encrusted with masterfully worked point cut pyrites by Zaneg Halinurvad, exceptionally worked square cut shell opals, exceptionally worked tapered baguette cut wood opals, masterfully worked square cut red zircons by Uucar Uucarbomrek, exceptionally worked baguette cut red pyropes, exceptionally worked baguette cut purple spinels, masterfully worked square cut brown zircons by Sarvesh Atiratol, exceptionally worked oval bandfire opal cabochons, exceptionally worked rectangular tetrahedrite cabochons, exceptionally worked oval kimberlite cabochons, exceptionally worked round magnetite cabochons, exceptionally worked oval bauxite cabochons, exceptionally worked oval kaolinite cabochons, exceptionally worked round gneiss cabochons, masterfully worked rectangular marble cabochons by Sibrek LOrzoz, exceptionally worked round limonite cabochons and exceptionally worked cushion galena cabochons, studded with exceptionally worked bronze and masterfully worked sterling silver by Edam Ustuthteshkad and encircled with bands of exceptionally worked round milk quartz cabochons, exceptionally worked round prase opal cabochons, exceptionally worked round brilliant cut rubicelles, masterfully worked round obsidian cabochons by Sarvesh Atiratol, masterfully worked oval slate cabochons by Sarvesh Atiratol, masterfully worked emerald cut precious fire opals by Edam Ustuthteshkad, exceptionally worked octagon cut black opals, exceptionally worked radiant cut white opals, masterfully worked cushion hornblende cabochons by Onget Heskalshukar, exceptionally worked cushion sphalerite cabochons, superior quality gold, exceptionally worked silver, exceptionally worked copper, exceptionally worked zinc, exceptionally worked lead and masterfully worked black bronze by Edam Ustuthteshkad. This object is adorned with hanging rings of exceptionally worked morion, exceptionally worked platinum, masterfully worked billon by Tulon Febarros and exceptionally worked rose gold and menaces with spikes of masterfully worked citrine by Zaneg Hal&nurvad, exceptionally worked resin opal, exceptionally worked onyx opal, exceptionally worked wax opal, exceptionally worked pipe opal, masterfully worked rose quartz by Uucar Uucarbomrek, exceptionally worked indigo tourmaline, masterfully worked green zircon by Uucar Uucarbomrek, masterfully worked almandine by Uucar Uucarbomrek, exceptionally worked pink tourmaline, exceptionally worked morganite, masterfully worked clear zircon by Sarvesh Atiratol, exceptionally worked limestone, exceptionally worked granite, masterfully worked gabbro by Sarvesh Atiratol, exceptionally worked quartzite, exceptionally worked phyllite, exceptionally worked red flash opal, exceptionally worked crystal opal, exceptionally worked levin opal, exceptionally worked gypsum, exceptionally worked schist, exceptionally worked hematite, masterfully worked native silver by Sibrek LOrzoz, masterfully worked orthoclase by Onget Heskalshukar, masterfully worked microc line by Onget Xeskalshukar, exceptionally worked mica, exceptionally worked nickel, masterfully worked electrum by Sarvesh Atiratol and masterfully worked trifle pewter by Sibrek LOrzoz.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a large. serrated disc in gold opal by Zaneg Hal&nurvad.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Sarvesh Dyetruths the dwarf and dwarves in bone opal by Zaneg Hal&nurvad. Sarvesh Dyetruths is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the selection of the dwarf Sarvesh Dyetruths to the position of expedition leader of The Sling of Alliances in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Sarvesh Dyetruths the dwarf and dwarves in jasper opal by Zaneg Hal&nurvad. Sarvesh Dyetruths is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the selection of the dwarf Sarvesh Dyetruths to the position of expedition leader of The Sling of Alliances in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves in milk opal by Zaneg Hal&nurvad. The dwarves are traveling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Inkedmetal by The Sling of Alliances of The Bulbous Armory in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of two trolls in lapis lazuli by Uucar Uucarbomrek.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Edam Fencedprice the dwarf in prase by Uucar Uucarbomrek. Edam Fencedprice is laboring. The artwork relates to the start as a woodworker of the dwarf Edam Fencedprice in Inkedmetal in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of trolls in moss opal by Uucar Uucarbomrek.
On the item is a masterfully designed image of a dwarf in cherry opal by Uucar Uucarbomrek.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of the troll and a bronze pick in smoky quartz by Uucar Uucarbomrek. Is raising the bronze pick. The artwork relates to the theft of a bronze pick from Inkedmetal by a troll in the late summer of 351 during The Theft of an unknown artifact at Inkedmetal.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Sarvesh Dyetruths the dwarf and dwarves in amber opal by Uucar Uucarbomrek. Sarvesh Dyetruths is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the selection of the dwarf Sarvesh Dyetruths to the position of expedition leader of The Sling of Alliances in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Lun. the deity of the sky. depicted as a male dwarf in black zircon by Uucar Uucarbomrek. Lun is striking a triumphant pose.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Zaneg Trailseal the dwarf and plump helmets in blue garnet by Uucar Uucarbomrek. Zaneg Trailseal is admiring the plump helmets
On the item is a masterfully designed image of Sarvesh Dyetruths the dwarf and dwarves in red tourmaline by Uucar Uucarbomrek. Sarvesh Dyetruths is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the selection of the dwarf Sarvesh Dyetruths to the position of expedition leader of The Sling of Alliances in the early spring of 351.
On the item is a masterfully designed image of three prickle berries in pink garnet by Sarvesh Atiratol.
On the item is a masterfully designed image of a dwarf in jelly opal by Sarvesh Atiratol.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Sarvesh Dyetruths the dwarf and dwarves in yellow zircon by Sarvesh Atiratol. Sarvesh Dyetruths is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the selection of the dwarf Sarvesh Dyetruths to the position of expedition leader of The Sling of Alliances in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves in amethyst by Sarvesh Atiratol.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of statues in chalk by Sarvesh Atiratol.
On the item is a masterfully designed image of thread in diorite by Sarvesh Atiratol.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a armor stand in red spinel by Edam Ustuthteshkad.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves in claro opal by Edam Ustuthteshkad. The dwarves are traveling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Inkedmetal by The Sling of Alliances of The Bulbous Armory in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of battle axes in harlequin opal by Edam Ustuthteshkad.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of two flasks in pinf ire opal by Edam Ustuthteshkad.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a dwarf in jet by Onget Heskalshukar.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves in pyrolusite by Onget Heskalshukar. The dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the foundation of Inkedmetal by The Sling of Alliances of The Bulbous Armory in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Bembul Ritegolds the dwarf and dwarves in olivine by Onget Heskalshukar. Bembul Ritegolds is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf Bembul Ritegolds to the position of bookkeeper of The Sling of Alliances in the late autumn of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of half moons in native gold by Sibrek LOrzoz.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves in cobaltite by Sibrek LOrzoz. The dwarves are traveling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Inkedmetal by The Sling of Alliances of The Bulbous Armory in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Bembul Ritegolds the dwarf and dwarves in iron by Uucar Uucarbomrek. The dwarves are refusing Bembul Ritegolds. Bembul Ritegolds looks dejected. The artwork relates to the removal of the dwarf Bembul Ritegolds from the position of bookkeeper of The Sling of Alliances in the midautumn of 352.
On the item is a masterfully designed image of Tulon Arrowthrow the dwarf and dwarves in brass by Sibrek LOrzoz. Tulon Arrowthrow is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf Tulon Arrowthrow to the position of manager of The Sling of Alliances in the early spring of 351.
On the item is a masterfully designed image of Aban Bowedwork the dwarf and dwarves in tin by Onget Heskalshukar. Aban Bowedwork is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the acceptance of the dwarf Aban Bowedwork as a member of The Sling of Alliances in the midautumn of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Sarvesh Dyetruths the dwarf and dwarves in fine pewter by Sibrek LOrzoz. Sarvesh Dyetruths is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the selection of the dwarf Sarvesh Dyetruths to the position of expedition leader of The Sling of Alliances in the early spring of 351.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a crescent moon in nickel silver by Tulon Febarros.
On the item is a masterfully designed image of hidden moons in bismuth by Sibrek LOrzoz.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Sarvesh Dyetruths the dwarf and dwarves in bismuth bronze by Zaneg Hatinurvad. Sarvesh Dyetruths is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the selection of the dwarf Sarvesh Dyetruths to the position of expedition leader of The Sling of Alliances in the early spring of 351.

Booyah!  35 images, baby!  8)  A wooden bed worth 71,680☼

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26936 on: December 13, 2012, 04:11:28 pm »

That's one hellova bed!

Also, the bastard brother of Mili, Oddom, came back from the dead as a violent ghost! He ripped another dingo man child's hand off! The poor kid will never be the same...

Horror! The ghostly dingo man isn't on the list of candidates for engraving! We're doomed!
Unless... I release the werewolf, and manage to get the entire fort infected (ignoring the casualties)! Then he couldn't permanently cripple anyone unless he ripped their head off or something!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:24:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26937 on: December 13, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »

Three migrants braved the wilderness to reach Diamondclears, dodging between walking corpses and Hamster Men. This brings the fortress up to ten inhabitants, one of which nearly got killed by a honey badger corpse during the first few weeks. Erush seems to have recovered from that with just a broken hand, and even though I set up an emergency field hospital, the bugger is too stubborn to actually get tended to by the doctor. And the doctor is too busy to diagnose him anyway.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26938 on: December 13, 2012, 06:19:08 pm »

I have dropped the first half dozen werewolf candidates down in the hole with their tormentor. Hopefully at least one of them survives, and becomes infected.

[edit]

The werewolf isn't attacking them! WHY ISN'T HE ATTACKING THEM!? being stark raving mad shouldn't prevent him from being aggressive!

[edit of edits]

After letting the dwarves out, the werewolf's pet boar decided to come visit him for the first time in years. It survived a few months in there with him, until it initiated a wrestling lock, I guess while he was standing over it as he transformed, and at that point the werewolf murdered the boar. The werewolf is no worse for wear, but I'm concerned that if getting recruits to attack him is the only way to get him to fight back and take a chunk out fo them, they might get lucky and kill him before the curse is passed on to anyone who survives.

[Edit the third]

After checking again, I relaized that some of the younger dingo men (those that grew up this year) are eligible for military service, so I put them in the drop squad in place of the dwarves and tossed them in the pit with the werewolf. Hopefully, with their squad active, they will attack the werewolf, provoking a response and resulting in their being bitten and acquiring the curse. And hopefully unarmed, unskilled dingo man youths are too weak to seriosuly injure the werewolf before he transforms back.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:30:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26939 on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:51 pm »

Welp a dwarf got knocked into the magma sea and died horribly... at least now I'm able to make all magma forges and stuff.  I guess Armok was waiting for a blood sacrifice before unlocking his secrets to me given that I've had the magma sea uncovered for over two years now.
Pages: 1 ... 1794 1795 [1796] 1797 1798 ... 3842