Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1783 1784 [1785] 1786 1787 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123074 times)

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26760 on: December 03, 2012, 07:07:01 pm »

On a side note, anyone know a good military training schedule?  I typically use 3 months of activity, 1 month of off-time.

I honestly just put 2 in a squad and have them train non stop.  I don't have any backpacks/waterskins so I assume that the good thoughts from the booze/food are enough to keep them from getting unhappy.  I've only ever seen an unhappy mildwarf after other dwarves related to him/her began tantruming or were killed in an ambush.  The last female dwarf I ever put in the military used her son as a shield and then beserked in the dining hall.  The fort survived the brutality till the next migrant wave, but those poor souls collapsed under the strain of all the ghosts and corpses.

In my latest fort I recently had to lay one of my founding seven to rest.  I should have named him Unlucky before he died as he was always in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I pierced through a section of the caverns and was in the process of walling it off when a blind cave ogre(?) showed up and began beating him with a cap.  Then it ripped his leg and arm off, seconds before the military dwarf showed up and turned 4 z-levels red with it's blood.  After much struggling to get the hospital up, the "doctors" were able to treat his wounds and he made the closest thing to a full recovery that he could.  Unsure of his ability to work crutches and haul stone with a single arm and leg, I made him the manager.  After one ambush met head on with the dwarven caravan just outside my depot, the dwarves were collecting this latest shipment of goblinite when suddenly "Founder Urist Unlucky has been struck down!".  "Thief!  Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!".

It escaped off the map edge before I could catch it with the military and vengeance was left undone.  Thankfully, I had expected him to die earlier and had already built the tombs for the founders, so he rests in a proper location instead of a random coffin.  Was still really sad that he died like that after he pulled through his injuries from the cavern incident.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26761 on: December 03, 2012, 07:21:02 pm »

A group of trogs decided interrupting negotiations was a good idea. the clan emissary beat all three of them to death, as evidently he's one of the berserker caste. I'm also beginning to run out of storage space in my carved up cave, which is a tiny bit concerning. A wood burner has been made, and a glass furnace to make some cheap vials so I can process these two stacks of valley herbs I'm sitting on.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26762 on: December 03, 2012, 07:25:16 pm »

The fortress "Splatteredinked" is almost a year old. 21 dwarves call it their home. They were 22 until just recently, when a pride of wolverine men started harassing the livestock pens. Melbil Erushgim happened upon one of the half-creatures and was killed by a lucky blow to the skull. A yak cow was also severly mauled.

The monsters had to be dealt with, so the mason crafted a short sword made of obsidian, wich an unremarkable dwarf named Uzol Absamkeskal volounteered to wield. She then made her way out into the country side and killed the wolverine people, returning unharmed. In recognition of this feat, she has been made militia commander. Albeit currently only commanding herself.

A simple wall has been built around the area outside the entrance to the mountain-village leaving ample room for animals to be bred within. We are waiting for goose eggs to hatch and the the herbalist Minkot Ilushdishmab created a rhyolite bracelet called Ögred Othduk, "The Swamp of Moments".
"It's unpossible!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26763 on: December 03, 2012, 08:26:39 pm »

Hill titan attacked my fortress. Got in through a pond that apparently wasn't sealed properly (forgot about how ramps under constructed floors adjacent to a wall are still usable as a one-way entrance/exit.)

All in all, it managed to cause exactly one injury to one dwarf; bruising a marksdwarf's eyelid. Beyond that, it was brutally slaughtered. It was a towering feathery chinchilla with a venomous bite.

After that, one of my starting seven had to be put down following a failed mood (Nobody would dump the shit she needed down the hole!) which resulted in her going berserk. Her family and friends are grieving, but hopefully they'll survive and not form a mini-tantrum spiral. Her husband, one of the starting miners had to do the deed, but protected his children well.

Beyond that, there are some wolverine men throwing hissy fits form the hills above the fortress. I need to set up some cage traps and start gathering wildlife.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:28:25 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26764 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:24 pm »

The straw that broke the fortress' back...either the vampire queen or the vampire broker murdered two close-to-maturity children and a sorely-needed legendary clothier.  Stationed in a sealed room, magma inbound.  Screw it, magma'ing them both.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26765 on: December 04, 2012, 04:36:32 am »

I Feel awesome. Just pierced my first aquafir, although it was in a test fort, but still, feels good. Now time for bed.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Tamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FurryHelix
« Reply #26766 on: December 04, 2012, 05:35:30 am »

Embarked on a volcano, realised I started with the wrong race; abandoned, then reclaimed with the one I intended to. Only just got the food inside before the lava hit, destroying both wagons; and claiming the lives of 3.

However, the lava is being held back (By the invisible hard of Armok. ...that is, I DFHacked some water to solidify the lava before it completely overran what was left of the fort.), and the fort is flourishing. We're up to 79 lutins now, with a fairly decent stockpile of food.

Magma smelter, forge and glass furnace running nicely; now if only I could find some ores, rather than having to buy things and melt them down. Maybe things will get a little better when I dig deeper. Worst case, I have to keep trading cinnabar mugs for steel.

(Prospect shows we have gold, bismuthinite, sphalerite, and a tiny bit of spoilerite; but they're fairly low down. Damn.)
I see !!elves!! of green, and red !!magma!! too; I see them burn for me and you; and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26767 on: December 04, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »

Dwarves everywhere dream of the Dreamy gulf.
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26768 on: December 04, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »

New named weapon, masterwork candy spear. "Mournedmerged the tip of buttocks."
What the hell was that dwarf thinking?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26769 on: December 04, 2012, 06:59:25 pm »

Clearly he/she is a fan of ass play

Hoped back onto my ponymod fort, an accident prevented trading with the zebras, not that we really needed anything. A packanimal took a bit of a spill off a hill and died. a herd of elfish unicorns (the edible nonmagictechnicolor pony freak kind) was shot full of holes by hunters, several tentacle ponies met unpleasent ends and are being processed into ammo, some banana tree saplings were born, the dead pack animal looted (and its nervous tissue processed into spectra.) I've opted to expand underground, to keep everything on one level until i can begin building a proper town on the surface.  I've also realized when the ambushes come, things are gonna suck. (I know to most that means Fun, but I'm not as big a fan of that when I'm in a good mood.)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26770 on: December 04, 2012, 07:05:11 pm »

Well, turning the huge quantity of gold furniture produced before we killed the vampire king into a truly legendary dining room.  Also engraving the place as commemoration of the fort's 10-year anniversary.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26771 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:51 pm »

The outpost of "Memimimo" or muffinportal, has been founded on a large island with frogmen, and beakwolves.
A quick survey of the surroundings reveal a lush forest, a small hill to the north, with the beach to the north also.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26772 on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:38 pm »

Well, I got those sheer lakeside cliffs I wanted.  The slope the morons embarked on actually widens into a natural fairly-round inlet of the lake, which will make a great base for the fort.  I think I will build the fort out of green glass in it.

Edit: Well since I was in a valley with no neighbors but my home civ, I decided on the green glass megaproject, so to start planning I used reveal + prospect and got a surprise.

Most people never see curious structures.  I can't get away from the things.  This is like my fifth one in ten forts!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:54:12 pm by Clover Magic »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26773 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:03 pm »

Well, I got those sheer lakeside cliffs I wanted.  The slope the morons embarked on actually widens into a natural fairly-round inlet of the lake, which will make a great base for the fort.  I think I will build the fort out of green glass in it.

Edit: Well since I was in a valley with no neighbors but my home civ, I decided on the green glass megaproject, so to start planning I used reveal + prospect and got a surprise.

Most people never see curious structures.  I can't get away from the things.  This is like my fifth one in ten forts!
New megaproject: pull the sword and beat the clown car using only green glass spikes, then cover Hell with glass.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26774 on: December 04, 2012, 11:45:16 pm »

New megaproject: pull the sword and beat the clown car using only green glass spikes, then cover Hell with glass.

I...I might have to.  We have sand and my map is all of 50 zlvls total, so the magma sea is just 30 or so down from my surface and I've already dug out a magmaworks area.  And I was planning to do mass paving of glass for the biodome anyways.  How I'm going to get through the ~150 zombies in the clown car is another question, but.

Everyone, you are now glassmakers. 
Pages: 1 ... 1783 1784 [1785] 1786 1787 ... 3842