Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1782 1783 [1784] 1785 1786 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123099 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26745 on: December 02, 2012, 11:42:20 pm »

Two seiges in rapid succession have put six barbarians in the hospital, 6 in coffins, 14 beak wlves and 14 dwarves plus thier giant toad in the dirt. It was a costly victory, and we'll never recover from such a loss again. many tantrums are being pitched right now, and the dead need to be given thier final rites.

But such is thier life. They can pitch a fit at the loss of thier friends, but all barbarians are warriors first, and death is the adversary who always wins in the end.

Slyjoker87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26746 on: December 03, 2012, 12:55:12 am »

Number of Children: 58

Total Population: 108

Welcome to kid fortress!  :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26747 on: December 03, 2012, 01:04:47 am »

Settlement abandoned. Nothing was getting done with constant tantrums. I mercykilled one who went starkraving mad with a kill command in DFhack. another went beserke and got beat to death by one of the assitant physicians.

Decided I'd get a grip on these guys in an iso-embark. only brought some wepons adn an anvil, and already we've bagged a cerer (random genned land critter) four giant moles and a giant olm coming out of the caves, with a troglodyte tribe, a troll, and a gorlak being killed in the crossfire. I was expecting a miner to get mauled by a mole for not defending himself or something but so far so good. I guess. main source of fun is gonna have to be anything withing stabbing distance of my swordsmen.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26748 on: December 03, 2012, 01:12:18 am »

I'm having the dwarves partially clean up the lands around the fortress while the coast is clear. By late spring more hostiles will show their faces, and everyone needs to be indoors again. I'll let the traps take care of them. The militia is still a bunch of brainless fools.

My computer has been giving me crap lately. Constantly freezing up or stuttering. It's horrible.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26749 on: December 03, 2012, 03:06:52 am »

This dorf entered the cavein as a fishery worker and emerged as one of Mountainhammer's proud miners. Rite of passage, much?
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26750 on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:17 am »

I've decided that in this fort, none of the nobles, any of them, will do any work and be treated like, ya know... nobles. :P
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26751 on: December 03, 2012, 04:10:09 am »

Welp my fort has finally fallen to invasion during my grand move to the 3rd cavern layer where the magma was located so all my dwarves could live in warmth... plus having to travel 100 z levels between workshops was a tad annoying.  During the move I got another siege.  With 20 war cave dragons, 25 trolls, 5 squads of goblins all mounted on war cave animals.  Shortly after their arrive, plus my dwarves inability to PULL THE DAMN LEVERS TO CLOSE ACCESS so my military could get in position, I ended up getting a dragon to arrive.  Sadly the dragon was to far away to get the goblins attention.  While my military was mobilizing, all goblins took the 2nd entrance which was my back entrance to my trade depot (which I how I usually build my forts since the depot is normally blocked by a bridge) and systematically massacred my dwarves one by one as they avoided all the damn traps save for a few last minute cage traps.

On top of it all while I was swearing at my military for refusing to do what I wanted them to I also got a forgotten beast... a flying spider.  Which flew up through my well which lead to my hospital and began to web all military that tried to get past it.

And so Gloryabbeys has fallen after 20 years of dwarfy success.

(On a side note, anyone know a good military training schedule?  I typically use 3 months of activity, 1 month of off-time.)

PPS: Started my next fort.  Name?  Delervathrz, Steel Virgins.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:20:49 am by MythagoWoods »
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26752 on: December 03, 2012, 05:11:08 am »

Out of sheer boredom, I decided to set up a back-door entrance to my fort. It'll be set up so that there is a bridge cutting off access through this back way in. And the only way to open the bridge will be to set each of 20 levers in the right setting - some switched on, others off. I'll have to keep a record of the right settings, coz 20 levers gives over 1 million possible permutations! I figure it could be handy if I seal off the other entrances and want to explore in adventure mode.

I also have 3 GCS for silk farming. I gots me a lot of silk.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26753 on: December 03, 2012, 05:19:31 am »

Used dwarf therapist to make children A) Haul stuff B) operate smelters and glass furnaces and C) scribble all over the walls and floors. Because we all know children LOVE to do that, and I needed an army of stone detailers to smooth the fortress down and make it all pretty.

I have 29 children in a fortress of 84 or something. That's a pretty damn significant portion of the population just wasting space.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26754 on: December 03, 2012, 05:28:48 am »

Used dwarf therapist to make children A) Haul stuff B) operate smelters and glass furnaces and C) scribble all over the walls and floors. Because we all know children LOVE to do that, and I needed an army of stone detailers to smooth the fortress down and make it all pretty.
I did not know you could use Dwarf Therapist to do that...  that would have helped my last fort immensely.  I had 207 dwarves before I died.  115 of them were children, 20 were babies.  Certainly explains why it took so long for me to clean up after sieges.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26755 on: December 03, 2012, 01:18:15 pm »

Yup. There's something in the options menu that lets you do it, if I recall. It also calls you a dirty cheater, but honestly, if you told a bunch of kids to go doodle on the mayors wall and make it look pretty, wouldn't they run screaming through the halls and tear the door off it's hinges to get inside? Not that they'd be able to do that, I suppose.

Well, with them tearing up his walls, the mayor eventually got woken by noise when one of them started smoothing the wall above his bed. The first thing he did when he woke up? Go "On Break" and mandate that shields may not be exported.

Edit;

Well, fuck.

I tried to get my injured necromancer-vampire adventurer who migrated into the hospital to deal with that whole "lost a leg to a ghost" thing, and they had to take her right past the refuse stockpile on their little tour, which of coruse means she raised all the corpses there and continues to do so. The zombie apocalypse has begun, and I can't contain her now.

Double Edit;

Well, the troops got a bit of training out of it (no casualties, luckily) but I finally said screw it and walled her off with DFhack. At least, I walled off her LOS to corpses.

Fucking necromancers, I swear... Wonder how I'm gonna get her back out again without another catastrophy. Maybe I'll jsut lock her in the hospital.

So while that was happening, a tigerman ambush was spotted on the hill right above the fortress, and I sic'd the marksdwarves on them. It was an absolute route with one casualty: as one of the tigermen was fleeing, he encountered a dwarf in a field and they got in a fight, somehow (they should both have been fleeing from each other, I'm pretty sure, since the tigermen were in retreat and that dwarf wasn't in the militia) and the dwarf was cut up fairly badly. She is now incapable of walking due to a foot injury. She crawled all the way indoors before someone decided to go recover wounded. Probably because it was only at that point that she was inside the burrow I'd set for the civilians.

A tigerwoman thief was also spotted, passed-out in the trap hallway by one of the hastily-selected recruits. He promptly cut her tail off, resulting in her bleeding out, I guess. That first trap is a nasty one, I must admit, but her guts must have jammed it or something or else she wouldn't have lasted that long.

One of the injured dwarf's children came to visit her in the hospital. How sweet.

Edit the eighth:

SHIT! The vampire-necromancer was cured of her crutchless state and promptly took "a little drinky" form my broker who mysteriously decided the hospital was for free housing. She of course drank the broker dry, and promptly reanimated her corpse. Which decided to murder the injured dwarf who was in the hospital, who the necromancer also raised. They went on to murder the now-deceased casualty's child, the doctor, and her baby. So now I have a vampire-necromancer and five zombies locked in the hospital. She also raised a corpse in the farms which spooked the kids, but was quickly put down without much issue.

This is going to be a fun mess to clean up.
She's being kind enough to clean up the blood all by herself. Why the hell did I ever think it'd be a good idea to retire such a monstrosity?

Edit the 50th

Apparently this adventurer was also a shaman, because she's now giving blessings to her zombies. I'm just going to drop the roof on their heads; the militia would be insufficient to handle this. She also drained a kid of blood, too. Apparently she was THIRSTY after 3 years in a little cell.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:08:05 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26756 on: December 03, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »

Ask and ye shall receive.

After several games abandoned due to FPS death before anything "interesting" happened, I attempted to up the baseline fun level with very short history, higher Natural Savagery, and embarking in Untamed Wilds.  Well, I started getting ambushed between 50 and 60 beards :)

The gobbos have barely let up.  I'm trying to claim / dump all the junk left on the screen to stave off FPS drops, especially since they knock off half the caravans that visit.  I've managed to create a trash compactor (read: atom smasher) right outside the main gate, attached to a pressure plate, so I can actually destroy all those troll fur socks and whatnot that litter the screen.

But I need more traps and more mechanics - any archer invader outguns my own archers, and they take so long to reload.  I just went up to 109 beards, and the current Vile Darkness is eight groups of ~15 gobbos each, and three groups of about 8 trolls each.  Fortunately, I've just realized that my main gate - which raises to reveal the staircase to the grinder - can be put on Pull/R.  Say hello to The Flatinator!!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26757 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »

Vampire ate my fort.  After four kills, and 200 witnesses (I didn't know how the justice system worked - have not been active for a while) I put her in full metal armor with an adamantine spear, and put her outside the fort.  The next siege, she died without killing a single goblin.  Then after the siege went away, the dwarves went out, collected her corpse, got yet another massive drop in morale and began spiraling.

When 75% of the fort hit 0 morale and 25 out of 200ish had died, It was time to just pack it in and reclaim.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26758 on: December 03, 2012, 07:00:30 pm »

Ah, the good ol' dreamsmashaser defense (I dunno why, I like calling weaponized bridges dreamsmashers) bings warmth to my heart.

Forgot to order more charcoal from the caravan, which i assume has built a smal port and has a small network of ships coming to and from the coast of my island. I'm now hoping something sufficently nasty will attack, that either lives on the island or in the caversn as the cerers and trogs have yet to even hurt one of my now three swordsmen. Hell, a whole group of cerers were obliterated by one enraged swordsman. We now have ample food and for stockpile space, have begun processing our assortment of meats and fish further. We now have some underground farms made to provide drinks, and my clan trader has been pumping out bone goods like crazy. My eventual plan now is to turn this settlement into a veritable trade hub for the realm of sinking, and all shall be envious of our bone goods and mass produced metal shit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26759 on: December 03, 2012, 07:04:55 pm »

Heh, I was getting tired of editing that post :P

Anyway, the vampire-shaman-omancer scare has wound down, without tantrums, and I'm currently rethinking my options for disposing of unwanted corpses and body parts. I'm thinking of setting up a minecart route that just dumps them from a stockpile into some magma. I'll save the necromancer for training purposes, as an infinitely respawning zombie or three could be very effective training for the recruits.

Lately, though, there was a bruteman siege along with the paklara caravan. The siege consisted of a single squad of macemen lead by a spearwoman riding a giant olm. The olm of course tried to path through a pond goign under my walls, which lead to the siege party getting stuck outside thinking "well, what the hell do we do now?" They quickly figured it out: die. The marksdwarves got a bit of practice in until the spearwomand and her olm finally pathed out the other end of the pond into the fortress. The olm was promptly shot dead and the spearwoman soon joined it.

The rest of the idiot siegers (those not being turned into pincushions by the marksdwarves) thought they'd try to make it inside the fortress in order to regroup with their commander. They took the only remaining route: straight through the trap hallway. It ended predictably for them.

I am rather pleased with how effective the traps are against such large opponents.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 1782 1783 [1784] 1785 1786 ... 3842