Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1784 1785 [1786] 1787 1788 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122901 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26775 on: December 04, 2012, 11:52:50 pm »

New megaproject: pull the sword and beat the clown car using only green glass spikes, then cover Hell with glass.

I...I might have to.  We have sand and my map is all of 50 zlvls total, so the magma sea is just 30 or so down from my surface and I've already dug out a magmaworks area.  And I was planning to do mass paving of glass for the biodome anyways.  How I'm going to get through the ~150 zombies in the clown car is another question, but.

Everyone, you are now glassmakers.
I request that you do not use a lever to open the clown car, and instead have a dwarf pull the sword (after the zombies are dealt with of course), and I request that the dwarf be named Willsauce.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26776 on: December 05, 2012, 01:20:51 am »

After my happy, satisfying, waterfall calmed and polished fortress crumbled just as (non-magma) steel was coming on line, due to a chance find of shiny stuff and the sudden appearance of clowns....

Diverting a river into hell doesn't slow them down at all, but there's a LOT of steam...

Anyway, new fortress, no skills, and merely a pick, an axe, and as much booze as I could carry, in a half terrifying tundra, half frozen woodland.  Hurry to get inside as the frozen dwarf blood snow starts to settle, and block off the entrance.

Now that I'm setting up home amongst the pillars in the flooded caverns, and a herd of kangaroos are quietly grazing on the surface, oblivious to the drifts of melting dwarf blood.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26777 on: December 05, 2012, 07:02:36 am »

My dwarves have found themselves with a volcano on one side, a river on the other, and flat land between with a bunch of trees.  Minerals are abundant.  Several Z layers are heavily concentrated alunite and obsidian.

All is well, We have traded a few times and the stonecrafters are turning the obsidian we mine into a huge income source.  The cooks are turning all the animals and food we buy into prepared meals, and the next time the mountainhome comes calling, if they have a few good sets of steel armor, we'll be ready.

The only problem is that everyone is fighting amongst themselves on what is the best way to build a defense.  We have water.  We have magma.  We have wood.  Nobody's even bothered to look and see if we have sand, but I think I saw some.  There are so many different ways to defend it's almost paralyzed us with indecision, but we finally decided on a very long passage which will be split into several sections, each with it's own drainage system.  When the water section is complete, and we will be capable of destroying most enemies, then we will begin working on the magma section.  There is a great deal of concern about whether or not we should create an obsidian mixer, since the obsidian will eventually run out, but trying to build an economic engine into the trap system might not work so well, since it's the entrance to the fort.

We shall see.

(Sometimes having too many good choices is painful, lol)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26778 on: December 05, 2012, 09:23:05 am »

Code: [Select]
Kadol Rakustsholid, Leatherworker has created Ngotunisir Lukottem, a giant toad leather face veil!
I ... I can't even parse that ...

Doing well this fortress, but have some odd problems I don't normally see - the butcher and kitchen are extremely susceptible to miasma, which doesn't usually happen to me - I'm at 19 idlers out of 117 beards, and the piles are good, they just let stuff sit there too long.  I have to butcher one animal at a time, or schedule only 3 or 4 meal preps at a time, then wait quite a while - any more than that and it's purple smoke.  I sorta understand that - the cook has been legendary for ages, and putting him on repeat will easily outpace dwarves ability to move the meals back (first time this happened (t) showed something like 50 rotten meals cluttering the kitchen).  But it's not something I see regularly in other forts.  Oh well.

The Countess is at zero happiness, throwing tantrums - I've finally discovered that she still owns her original cubbyhole bedroom, and has been sleeping there instead.  Well, your highness, maybe the soldiers will appreciate those gold statues instead ...

FPS is dropping quickly.  I've finally resorted to using 'autodump destroy' - between the continuous ambushes, sieges, and destroyed caravans, there's just too much junk strewn about.  I tried cleaning up after the first one - put a trash compacter keyed on a pressure plate outside the main gate, rather proud of my own cleverness :)  - but couldn't get close before the next wave.  It's all stuff I'll never use, so I'm not considering it cheating.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26779 on: December 05, 2012, 10:13:36 am »

... and now the Countess has gone berzerk.  Not sure why - mandates were met, no strange moods ... just no pleasing some people, I guess.

Back down to a mayor.  Hey, who wants an Opulent Throne Room?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26780 on: December 05, 2012, 10:23:14 am »

The third cavern is now on fire.  There are now super clown car zombies on fire.  Mods are literal !!FUN!!.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26781 on: December 05, 2012, 11:24:09 am »

I've also realized when the ambushes come, things are gonna suck. (I know to most that means Fun, but I'm not as big a fan of that when I'm in a good mood.)

That was the story of my life for the first 10 years of my last ponymod fort, although I was playing griffons.  Every dang ambush would leave one or two griffons dead, usually civilians.  It was kind of sad at first, but went straight on to very frustrating after I started losing soldiers to daggers to the brain through steel helmets.  A wall, some traps and guard dogs put an end to that finally.

Speaking of Canyontalon, I got my first sieges finally.  It took 15 game years to get them, but I finally did.  They were kind of anticlimactic unfortunately.

The first consisted of two squads of discordant ponies: one with maces, the other with axes.  They also brought a few tanks.  The tanks and maceponies stumbled across my trap line just as the civilians were scrabbling back inside, and the archers were taking up their positions in the fortifications.  They never had a chance to close the gate, but it wasn't really needed.  Arrows tore apart anything that was foolish enough to get close, until Private Polina ran out of ammo and charged the axe ponies.  She had both of her wings broken before Sergeant Maksim arrived to save her.  The griffons spent the next month cleaning up the pony and tank corpses, but there were no deaths or permanent injuries among the griffons.  A great day indeed.

The second siege arrived a year later, after a failed ambush that was lost to the traps.  Again two squads of discordant ponies arrived backed up by a few tanks, this time a squad of lashers and a squad of marksponies.  This fight looked more interesting.  The lashers charged first, largely avoiding the weapon traps this time but meeting a hail of arrows for their trouble.  As their sergeant went down from an arrow to the head, they faltered and broke, leaving just the marksponies.  These were slow to arrive, and came one by one into a stream of arrows that slew pony and tank alike.  The last three survivors broke and fled, leaving Canyontalon once more unscathed.

A few months later, an ettin darkened Canyontalon's gates, and was met by the lone Private Zavid far away from assistance.  Although he was of low rank he was a fierce fighter.  The ettin bashed him around like a doll at first, until he severed a head with his sword and pierced a lung.  The fight was then decisively his, and the rest of his squad arrived to find a bloody heap of unrecognizable meat where the ettin once was.  In celebration of the victory, Zavid bestowed a name to his crutch, which had served him well over the years when his leg was badly injured in an early fight.

I can't wait for some larger sieges, although I've got close to 20 legendary swordsgriffons, so I don't think much can stop me.  I tried breaching Hell for giggles and managed to destroy over 60 demons before finally succumbing and savescumming.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26782 on: December 05, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »

You have more soldiers than I do, that's for sure. my militia consists of four 'Touched' hammerponies, three pegasi marksponies led by a unicorn and one swordspony, whom I was amazed I even had anything besides a sword on hand for. Diomedian ambush hit. touched ponies don't fuck around and given that even my civies will bludgeon a bear to death with just thier hooves that's saying something, and, while a tanner was shot and injured, the hammerponies closed the gap rather quickly (they've been drilling onstop for two years, so I'm not suprised honestly) and one in particular, who I nicknamed Ghost (but the naming turned it into Ghost Show) did her usual assembly line effency of knocking out a leg andd crushing the skull on three diomedians, killing half the ambush single-handedly.

My hunters also contributed sort of, firing on the ambushers while they were out before retreating. It wasn't much but it did mess up one's aim because it was vomiting all over itself. I'm also setting up a capture hall before I breach the caverns, though sadly a local tribe killed one of the better capturables (I wanted that cave dragon that suddenly appeared dead on my units screen!  :'() And to get access to a safer source of water which Ill build my hospital over.

I won't lie, I really was expecting worse from that ambush but I'm not complaining about thier bad aim.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26783 on: December 05, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »

Work was proceeding apace in Shadeswords when fortress life got interesting.  Calovi Oyifoamiya Eluthaci the Desert Titan has arrived, beware his fire!  (I guess he doesn't want dwarven outposts despoiling his sandy wastes.)  A monstrous one-eyed rabbit of all things.  But remembering what happened to the outpost of Caerbannog nothing of the lepus sort was going to be underestimated.

An attempt to trap the approaching beast between gates in the approach tunnels failed.  The militia gathered inside the Inner Gate since that was the best place to hit the monster with multiple squads from different sides.  Civilians were sent from the area and various doors locked down once it was clear that the beast was going to enter the fortress.  (Militia at this point is three axe dwarves of about Level 3, three spear dwarves of about Level 3, and two 5-dwarf squads with crossbows who are Level 1-2 with a Level 3 leader.  All in iron armor at this point with steel helms and steel melee weapons.)

The titan exits the approach tunnel and crosses the open area to the Inner Gate.  He then stops just inside the gate to destroy the glass portal there.  Not willing to wait for this to complete the dwarves attempt to rush him there since the immediate melee will minimize time for fireballs to be hurled.

The fortress militia commander is the first dwarf through the door.  As she opens it the marksdwarves shoot a volley of bolts as covering fire.  A bolt catches the titan in a front leg, chipping the bone.  The militia commander hacks the beast in a front paw, but only tears the fat open.  She dodges the titan's attack and hits it again in the lower body, but once again only tearing fat and muscle.

A second crossbow bolt hits the titan in the other front leg chipping the bone.  The titan falls over and slams into the ground. 
(I figured that an organic titan could be brought down easier than one made of a hard inorganic, but seeing some Level 3 combat dwarves do so well initially was surprising.)

A spear dwarf stabs one of the front paws chipping the bone while the militia commander hacks at the other paw and fractures the bone there while also tearing a ligament.  Some more stabs and hacks hit limbs and the rabbit's shell causing minor damage.

At this point the titan hurls a ball of fire into its own location, apparently to drive the dwarves back.

The coupe de grace comes as a marksdwarf head-shots the rabbit and the iron bolt chips the skull and tears the brain.  The titan then expires on the doorstep of the Inner Gate and Shadeswords lives another day.  (Anyone for stew?)   ;D

At this point early in its 3rd year the fortress is stable.  103 dwarves, with 28 of them children. (This was originally 35, but many are teens and are maturing into peasants and being put to work.)  The population is housed, the military has equipment and barracks, and the various industries are established and keeping up with demand.  Defenses against goblins and normal intruders are in place and considered sufficient.  Time now to train, upgrade equipment, and gather materials for a project.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26784 on: December 05, 2012, 01:13:57 pm »

Lost my old fort to boredom and started again in a rather classic location: River (including carp) - woodland - cliff - single cavern layer at -10z and magma somewhere around -100z with lots of  useful minerals and room to dig in between. This is going to be the first time I build a true underground fort again after several above-ground settlements. There will be only 2 opening to the outer world: One main entrance for caravans and one dwarfmade chasm - 11x11x100 tiles through the caves right to the bottom.

Big bonus: Elves at war from the beginning. They didn't show up yet (beginning of year 2), but I'll prepare some defenses, just in case.

Big problem: Kea men all over the place. Why do I always get the embarks with flying annoyances?  >:(

So far, nothing of interest happened. One of the starting miners got crushed because I didn't check for trees on the level above a ramp (again) and the dwarven caravan gave me all their goods for free, because I didn't think of making enough crafts. Nice guys, those dwarven traders. This location is too good to lose in the beginning, so I use a few exploits until the economy is up and running.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26785 on: December 05, 2012, 01:14:20 pm »

Hmm, and Shadeswords has a new mayor.  A fourteen year-old female dwarf with the name Solon Iludgeshud (Solon Rulerfortress).  Destiny?
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #26786 on: December 05, 2012, 01:34:49 pm »

Awesome. Do not allow this mayor to die in anyway.

She will eventually rise up the political ladder.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26787 on: December 05, 2012, 01:58:16 pm »

Got a purple alert.  The Mayor/Militia Captain(10 strong ranged squad) took one to the brain. 
===
The mayor punches The Goblin Crossbowman in the right upper arm with her left hand, bruising the muscle through the ({cave spider silk cloak})!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the lower body from behind, tearing the muscle and bruising the guts through the -wombat leather leggings-!
The mayor blocks The flying ({silver bolt})!
The mayor bashes The Goblin Crossbowman in the right lower arm with her ðwombat bone crossbowð, but the attack is deflected by The Goblin Crossbowman's ({cave spider silk cloak})!
Snatcher!  Protect the children!
Moldath Œtonozsit, mayor has left the martial trance.
The flying ({silver arrow}) strikes The mayor in the upper body, tearing the muscle and fracturing the right floating ribs through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
A tendon in the right floating ribs has been torn!
The mayor gives in to pain.
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the upper body, tearing the muscle and chipping the left false ribs through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
A tendon in the left false ribs has been torn!
The flying {+alder bolt+} strikes The Goblin Crossbowman in the upper body, tearing the muscle and fracturing the left floating ribs through the ({cave spider silk cloak})!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the right lower leg, chipping the bone through the -wombat leather leggings-!
A ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The ({silver bolt}) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Goblin Crossbowman gives in to pain.
The Goblin Crossbowman falls over.
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the upper body, tearing the muscle and tearing the middle spine's nervous tissue through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
A tendon in the middle spine has been torn!
The flying ({silver arrow}) strikes The mayor in the lower body, tearing the muscle and bruising the guts through the -wombat leather leggings-!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the upper body, tearing the muscle, fracturing the left false ribs and tearing the right lung through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
A tendon in the left false ribs has been torn!
The mayor is having trouble breathing!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the right upper arm, chipping the bone and chipping the right shoulder's bone through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
A tendon has been torn!
A ligament in the right shoulder has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The flying ({silver arrow}) strikes The mayor in the right lower arm, chipping the bone through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
The ({silver arrow}) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the right upper leg, chipping the bone through the -wombat leather leggings-!
Reg Lertethlikot, Builder cancels Load Weapon Trap: Interrupted by Goblin Bowman.
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the lower body, tearing the muscle and bruising the stomach through the -wombat leather leggings-!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the right lower arm, chipping the bone through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
The flying ({silver arrow}) strikes The mayor in the left lower leg, chipping the bone through the -wombat leather leggings-!
A motor nerve has been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The ({silver arrow}) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the right upper leg, chipping the bone through the -wombat leather leggings-!
At¡r Mengmadush, Macedwarf cancels Pickup Equipment: Interrupted by Goblin Crossbowman.
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the right lower leg, chipping the bone through the -wombat leather leggings-!
The Goblin Bowman regains consciousness.
The flying ({silver arrow}) strikes The mayor in the left lower arm, chipping the bone through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the left lower leg, chipping the bone through the -wombat leather leggings-!
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the upper body, tearing the muscle and tearing the middle spine's nervous tissue through the (alpaca wool cloak)!
A tendon in the middle spine has been torn!
The Goblin Bowman stands up.
The Goblin Bowman gives in to pain.
The Goblin Bowman falls over.
The flying ({silver arrow}) strikes The mayor in the lower body, tearing the muscle and bruising the guts through the -wombat leather leggings-!
The mayor looks sick!
The Goblin Crossbowman regains consciousness.
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The mayor in the head, tearing the muscle, fracturing the skull and tearing the brain through the (pig tail fiber hood)!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
Moldath Œtonozsit, mayor's mandate has ended.
Moldath Œtonozsit, Marksdwarf has been shot and killed.
===
Game over.  Don't feel like reassigning new nobles.  Lost CMO and Commander in that completely avoidable ambush.  If only observe were patched.  Ugg.  Three+ hunters outside fortress, with 6+ hunting dogs, not a one saw the Ambush(3 sets of 6 goblins) coming.. DOH!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26788 on: December 05, 2012, 02:52:28 pm »

"An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!"

Hallelujah, elf Christmas has finally come to the mighty fortress of Daggerplayed in its second year. The population of 62, half of which serves in the militia, had no problems with defeating a single squad of spearelves, but I'm preparing for more to come soon. 
It's not as nice as goblin Christmas, since they don't bring useful stuff, but there's some potential for Fun with enemies appearing out of nowhere.

The kea problem has also been solved, but now we have giant sparrows instead. They hacked one of the guard puppies at the entrance apart. I think, I'll have close the top of the main shaft so they don't fly down into the workshop area. They're not exactly dangerous, but I don't want to be unsuspending every job several times before anything gets done.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26789 on: December 05, 2012, 02:55:45 pm »

"An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!"

Lucky. I wanna be at war with elves without modding them to be autohostile  :(
Pages: 1 ... 1784 1785 [1786] 1787 1788 ... 3842