Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1759 1760 [1761] 1762 1763 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124943 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26400 on: November 03, 2012, 05:52:34 pm »

I pastured all of my animals into a 2x8 space, including a stray camel that somehow got mixed up. They have started beating the shit out of eachother for no reason that I can determine. One hen has died and a dog came close to having his throat torn out by a duck.
Animals get angry when confined, start fighting.

More, Animals get angry when confined overcrowded, start fighting.

If every animal has its own square and most of the time is the only thing trying to stand in that square (so no other animals and no dwarves either), then they'll stay peaceful, even if starving to death.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26401 on: November 03, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »

I pastured all of my animals into a 2x8 space, including a stray camel that somehow got mixed up. They have started beating the shit out of eachother for no reason that I can determine. One hen has died and a dog came close to having his throat torn out by a duck.
Animals get angry when confined, start fighting.

More, Animals get angry when confined overcrowded, start fighting.

If every animal has its own square and most of the time is the only thing trying to stand in that square (so no other animals and no dwarves either), then they'll stay peaceful, even if starving to death.

Yeah it seems like a good idea at the time but don't quantum pasture war animals.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26402 on: November 03, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »

There can also be problems with single war animals if they give birth to a multiple litter. I have had momma bear take the leg off of its cub in a blind rage due to crowding.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #26403 on: November 03, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »

Currently walling my entrance after digging the trap pits for my dodge traps, Have my main work level dug out as well as my farms, both on the same level with my farms connected to the main fort by a cart rail, waiting for the rail to be built so food can be transferred more quickly, up to 10 dwarves with no kids, having trouble getting beds built but it's coming along.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26404 on: November 03, 2012, 10:11:18 pm »

In the process of acquiring gear for the new fort, I seem to have had a massive brain fart and forgotten to bring along underground crop seeds and plump helmets.

Oops.

At least it is only the first summer, and the caravan will bring plenty of seed to make up for it.

Everyone is outside harvesting lumber and plants, before we starve to death. At least we aren't in an evil area, or I would be really, really mad.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26405 on: November 03, 2012, 10:17:01 pm »

Just finished the Baths of Knightbridge, a facility soon to be the main dining hall as well and constructed to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Doorsounded (Knightbridge is the surname of the mayor in charge during construction).  In addition to the bathing facilities, it now has a zoo...the bathing pool and statue gardens are heated by magma cisterns underneath them.  Not that it matters in terms of gameplay but it's still nice for flavor considering we're in the middle of a frozen tundra.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26406 on: November 03, 2012, 10:26:07 pm »

I just noticed that my champion has a pretty awesome profile. He's also a master teacher after 30 years of training sessions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #26407 on: November 03, 2012, 10:28:07 pm »

Just watched my champion legendary axelord (even had a full on title, damnit!) get killed by a single lone GCS while off duty.

The same champion that one season ago had fended off an entire ambush of some 12-15 goblins single-handedly died while hauling tower-cap in the caverns.

How. Lame.

EDIT:
Oh, and now all his squad buddies (also legendary or grandmaster skill with axes, and (un?)fortunately armed with adamantine axes) are dangerously unhappy.

EDIT: Now there's three batshit-insane axelords armed with adamantine axes rampaging through my fortress. I'm just going to give up and wait till they kill everyone, I certainly do not want to abandon now and reclaim with the possibility of getting any of these nutjobs in a migrant wave, regardless of the skills.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:50:14 pm by JimDale »

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26408 on: November 04, 2012, 01:39:45 am »

"Bowyer Cancels Operate Pump:  Resting Injury"

What? "The spinning Basalt strikes the Bowyer in the upper body, bruising the muscle and shattering the ribs..."
Huh?
Id Libashnir, Dwarven Baby has bled to death.
The hell is going on here?!
Cilob Bomrekarzes, Pump Operator has been missing for a week.

Unit screen don't let me down now...
Desiskubog, Magma Crab

Now I know.  Magma Crabs can shoot rocks at you.  Cilob's battle report had the information in it (she was carrying the baby), but I got the bowyer's announcement first.  Building a grate over that channel now : |

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26409 on: November 04, 2012, 01:59:15 am »

My dwarves had a pretty busy season. Just further improved my quantum stockpiler system to go from 1 massive unit surrounding the trade depot into 8 (same settings across the board), permitting instead of just 3 wheelbarrows in a single stockpile, now I have a total of 24 of them servicing 8 stockpiles with the same purpose as the original single one.

My goodness, how useful all those wheelbarrows are in clearing out a freshly carved out extension to the underground. I was impressed with how fast the next floor got cleaned up for the new workshop floor. Sabrelured's main feature is not a disappointment in the least.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11430-sabrelured

EDIT:
So far, every bit of development and experimenting with this system has been worth it, and quite fun to watch in action. Especially when managing out new fortress portions.

EDIT EDIT:
What the hell happened to my keyboard there?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:18:41 pm by Itnetlolor »

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26410 on: November 04, 2012, 10:24:14 am »

Spears suck against Zombies. How do I get to know this?
Let me explain it this way. I had some FUN with butchering kittens in a terrifying biome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26411 on: November 04, 2012, 01:20:56 pm »

Someone else can probably answer you more completely, but most races (some modded exceptions I've seen) theives and snatchers are only trying to thieve or snatch until they are discovered.  Then it's time to escape.  Certainly kobold thieves are this way - they may or may not be aggressive when first discovered, and may or may not appear striking - but within a few minutes even those fighting start trying to flee, and never stop trying.  They may fight back if caught or cornered - but escape is their goal.
Actually, I've seen snatchers grab a kid after being discovered. Often after stabbing them in the upper body, tearing apart the heart.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26412 on: November 04, 2012, 04:26:26 pm »

So, after a Dead Frontier binge I began a new outpost on Corrosion called Stablefarmed and decided to make a stable farming community. At present one giant dingo picked a fight with us and is now part of our food reserves however its pack lurks nearby and almost got the cows we brought. Come summer I hope to begin planting corn, and due to my desperate food needs I'll actually need potash for once. The miners and dogs will have to fill the role of defenders against the dingo swarm outside until a stockade is up.

Our facilities that we've spent a good chunk of spring on are a massive food stockpile and a medium sized wood pile with spaced dug for a cleaning shop and weapons workshop so we'll have some pointy sticks and wood armorplates at least.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26413 on: November 04, 2012, 09:00:32 pm »

Three quarters of my fortress population, an entire migrant wave and a number of long-standing happy citizens, just inexplicably drowned themselves. Went up to the top of the waterfall and jumped in. The remainder beat each other to death in the ensuing tantrum spiral, except the Chief Medical Dwarf, who went quietly insane and starved himself.

A migrant wave showed up just in time to save the fort.... but milled around outside instead of entering the fort - until I drafted all eight, but were cut down by a double necromancer siege before they got through the door.

This was the weirdest fortress fall I've ever had.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26414 on: November 04, 2012, 11:17:10 pm »

Currently having a loyalty cascade of epic preportions in a fort of over 250 dwarves, with 3 tame bears wandering around. I first noticed something was up when I saw a hunter shooting helpless babies in a hallway on the bedroom level. I'm not quite sure what caused it, but I'm pretty sure somebody attacked someone else's pet, sparking the chaos. My axedwarf mayor just got her head bitten off by a grizzly bear, and her macedwarf husband is currently participating the most awesome brawl I've ever seen in my dining hall. The floor is caked with at least a dozen layers of blood and vomit, and nearly every tile has a corpse or body part on it. I'm hoping the fort will survive this through sheer force of numbers. At the very least I should get a fell mood or two before it's all over
Pages: 1 ... 1759 1760 [1761] 1762 1763 ... 3842