Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1758 1759 [1760] 1761 1762 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124917 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26385 on: October 31, 2012, 11:50:52 pm »

Plans are underway to settle a new area (i grow weary of the husk fort, the dwarf husks are pretty well unkillable since they are legendary in all combat skills now and refuse to move, preferring to bash a horse husk instead. It's only a torso and head, and can only push and bite. Missing it's teeth, nose, and other extremities)

need an area with trees, sand, aquifer, preferably a good biome, and will be dedicated again to capturing, taming and training megabeasts as well as unicorns.

I plan on a decent above ground section, with airlocks and boltholes. An inner keep will house the military. Probably will farm obsidian for the walls, not sure yet. Also plan on a magma deathtrap, or a mine cart grinder underground.

To advanced world gen!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26386 on: November 01, 2012, 10:30:08 am »

After making multiple dwarven reactors and a slew of screwpumps to attempt to get through this goddamn aquifer a necromancer decided to show up. Well, having put all of my carpentry towards trying to get through the aquifer I still had my dwarves standing out by the wagon. And the refuse stockpile had a healthy amount of bones in it. And they all were out for blood and VENGEANCE. So after a year of dingo skeletons and kea skeletons whittling my population down I gave up and abandoned. Damn.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #26387 on: November 01, 2012, 11:11:12 am »

Got my 3rd gypsum quern for this fortress.
Damnit.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26388 on: November 01, 2012, 11:36:41 am »

New fort, terrifying glacier biome. shortly after embark i got a wall up and pitted the 2 wagonbeasts over the side.

Got to the 1st caveren but didnt get the plump helmets out in time. First breach had GCS webs Everywhere!

2 died of dehydration and i couldnt dump their bodys fast enough. Sure enough they came back. (already knew about this little fact from the wagon animals starving).

Embarked with a hammerdwarf. He has Multiple kills of the same critters so far. (a giant mole, alive then dead 3 times + these current undead)

currently trying to kill\dump the current batch with minimum fuss.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #26389 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:59 pm »

I just had a siege where the only casualty was a stonecrafter who was carrying a +giant wolverine (birch cage)+ to the stockpiles from my surface cage traps. She was caught on the mountain side and promptly chased across the swamps until she was beaten to death by a morning-star and a war polar bear (I think the bear got her in the end). After the siege one of my soldiers disregarded orders and instead wandered about around the battlefield and discovered the stonecrafter's body and pathed directly to it and stayed on the same square for a while before resuming duty. I thought nothing of it until I noticed he was very unhappy. I looked at his thoughts and then relationships and realised that the stonecrafter was his wife.
This game still brings a tear to my eye sometimes.

Edit: I also had a swordsman who drowned when he tried to fight a frogman on a war polar bear in a lake.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #26390 on: November 02, 2012, 05:50:13 am »

i made a plane packed..... i dont know how but i believe the weapon smith was in a burrow and he stole alll the emergency supplies to make a slade war hammer. i will look on the bright side we successively fought of the nightwings and creepers with that hammer: it broke more bones then regular slade hammers.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26391 on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:53 pm »

Jailbait is still going strong. Had a few casualties. So many children, and coincidentally so many kidnappings.

One of the military dwarves was in the hospital. She wasn't resting, and in fact was a combination of thirsty, hungry, and very drowsy. She refused to move, or even sleep in the bed she was standing on. Removing the bed from under her did nothing, but rebuilding the bed under her caused her to go berserk instantly(she was not unhappy at this point, and someone else was on a mood). She was quickly put down by a nearby speardwarf, but the idea of one of my dwarves turning into a violent lunatic suddenly like that has me worried. Worried that my dwarves are contracting Green Flu.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26392 on: November 03, 2012, 11:42:00 am »

Butch died of old age. Since her arrival at the fortress with the very first migrant wave, she has been my main butcher, responsible for culling my sheep herd.
This is the memorial slab engraved in her honour.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26393 on: November 03, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »

Butch died of old age. Since her arrival at the fortress with the very first migrant wave, she has been my main butcher, responsible for culling my sheep herd.
This is the memorial slab engraved in her honour.

What a silent sufferer.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26394 on: November 03, 2012, 03:39:45 pm »

What a silent sufferer.

Euthanasia does mean 'good death"....  I suppose she patted them and distracted them before insta-killing, and made sure no miasma or bloodspatter remained to frighten future beasts as they approached....
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26395 on: November 03, 2012, 03:45:27 pm »

She was only following orders.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #26396 on: November 03, 2012, 05:00:40 pm »

All hail Aban Idgesis, the vampire queen! After several months painstakenly engraving nearly every stone wall in the fortress, after drudging through socks and goblin and invasions, the Vampire Queen and her loyal entourage has arrived! It is a great day in the history of The Narrow Dye, forever to be acclaimed in the form of more engravings!

I plan on letting her roam the Fortress somewhat freely, but I shall allow her to indulge every once and a while upon prisoners, thus hopefully avoiding inevitable... Accidents due to her cravings. I've also decided that I shall take it upon myself to turn her from simple queen... To Artifact BoneAxe-Wielding badass. With any luck, I may gear her up and use her as scout in the underground. She shall be the kind of queen that leads from the front... With brutal authority.

Another note, I've noticed that not much !!Science!! has been performed with Goblin Snatchers. I've tried testing them out a bit, but it hasn't been easy.

For instance, I've learned that goblins that have been made prisoners will still attack dwarves when given their freedom. Snatchers on the other hand are a bit more flighty, they only seem to fight when someone gets in their way. In addition, if released and locked in a room with a child, it does not react unless the child happens to try to hit the Snatcher, in which case it gets angry and will retaliate. But beyond that, nothing. Even when it still has its bag, it completely ignores the child. It will bolt towards the surface given any chance of freedom, but beyond that nothing. It makes me wonder... What makes these Goblins different for any other? Is there anyway to reactivate their behaviour to snatch?

Being able to reactivate this trait would be handy... Unhappy child? Let ol Santa Gobbo pick him up then retrieve him later an estatic chld, filled with Goblin mirth! Sadly, I have yet to find a way to make this happen...

To the !!Science!! Cave!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26397 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »

Someone else can probably answer you more completely, but most races (some modded exceptions I've seen) theives and snatchers are only trying to thieve or snatch until they are discovered.  Then it's time to escape.  Certainly kobold thieves are this way - they may or may not be aggressive when first discovered, and may or may not appear striking - but within a few minutes even those fighting start trying to flee, and never stop trying.  They may fight back if caught or cornered - but escape is their goal.

Even seigers, if caught, are really trying to escape after a time.  They'll attack your civ members if they see them, but given a pathfinding choice that leads into your fortress but not to a map edge, or one that leads not to any targets of yours to kill or destroy, but does lead to the map edge, they want out and will ignore your fortress.  Of course, if the path you give them leads out through your fort, then they'll do all the normal gobby things on the way to escaping, even forgetting their desire to escape (sometimes) while they can still see a target to attack.

I have no idea how to 'turn back their clocks' and make them act as they did upon spawning, once you've killed or captured them.  Additionally, stealthed units tend to kill my FPS.  I once accidentally and unknowingly caught a sneaking kobold theif with a set of retracting bridges.  The area it fell into was just a 1 z drop and sealed into its own space for about a game year before I sent workers to expand it - they finally discovered the kobold and broke its hide.  My FPS had suffered terribly from about the time I used the bridge (the only way into that space for poor kobby) and when I discovered it, and then my FPS went back to very close to my max setting at last.  The FPS hit might be enough to keep you from wanting to have your own pet snatcher for whenever one would be useful.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26398 on: November 03, 2012, 05:29:12 pm »

I pastured all of my animals into a 2x8 space, including a stray camel that somehow got mixed up. They have started beating the shit out of eachother for no reason that I can determine. One hen has died and a dog came close to having his throat torn out by a duck.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26399 on: November 03, 2012, 05:50:45 pm »

I pastured all of my animals into a 2x8 space, including a stray camel that somehow got mixed up. They have started beating the shit out of eachother for no reason that I can determine. One hen has died and a dog came close to having his throat torn out by a duck.
Animals get angry when confined, start fighting.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1758 1759 [1760] 1761 1762 ... 3842