Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1757 1758 [1759] 1760 1761 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124939 times)

optimusjamie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26370 on: October 30, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »

Well, my fortress is going surprisingly well. We're just into winter of the first year and we're still alive. I'm setting up the militia now- then it's on to farming (we need something other than plump helmets!) and digging deeper. When I can get the fortress to be self-sufficient, I may begin work on one or more Stupid Dwarf Trick.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26371 on: October 30, 2012, 09:16:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Traders taking the long way home from visiting Waterspear.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26372 on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »

I would like to report the most successfully boring fort. 20+ years in and I have a highly trained and powerful military. A massive farming and clothing industry. My neighbors are humans and kobolds. Cavern layer 1 has been tamed with the loss of only 2 military. The biggest deaths in the fort were from dumping dead troll and kobold remains into magma on the same level resulting in magma mist which killed 3 peasants before I figured it out.

All in all. I would say this fort is ripe for candy farming and science / !!science!!

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26373 on: October 30, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »

I should be able to use my horde of crundles as a military in a few years. I've also got a pretty sizeable family of rutherers and some bugbats.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26374 on: October 31, 2012, 04:58:57 am »

Ach, silly, you need flux for steel too! In my very first 40d fort, I had piles of iron and never one stone of flux. It was a sad place for dwarves.
how the *DWARF* do you get steel?
Mine iron ore, flux stone (if you press 'z' and look at the 'stone' list you can see which stones are flux), and fuel (you need fuel even if you have magma smelters). First smelt the iron, then turn it into pig iron, then make steel bars.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26375 on: October 31, 2012, 07:58:20 am »

Ach, silly, you need flux for steel too! In my very first 40d fort, I had piles of iron and never one stone of flux. It was a sad place for dwarves.
how the *DWARF* do you get steel?

Steel on Wiki.
Scroll down to recipe.  Flux stones are calcite, chalk, dolomite, limestone, and marble.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #26376 on: October 31, 2012, 02:07:34 pm »

elfs are horrible at fortress making: when they are nearly done a ambush of 5 kills most of the fort and then the rest tantrum and brakes  a leg. when a goblin seige will completely murder you. because wooden bows  can barely kill  one of them much else a hundred of them. either that or  having no military is part of that too.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26377 on: October 31, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »

There's an issue with that. There's

1. A glitch in the raws that say ranger captains are supposed to appoint themselves (which isn't possible)
2. Even when swapped with dwarven positions, thier milita retains the same problem.

And actually, wooden arrows can do quite a bit since most goblins are pathetically armored, sometimes only having a metal hat for protection while wooden arrows/bolts will completely perforate the rest of them.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26378 on: October 31, 2012, 02:43:20 pm »

So far my only artifacts in my current fort are a reindeer bone buckler and a great horned owl bone shield. I've given them respectively to my bad ass mayor/axedwarf who likes bucklers and my bad ass macedwarf who's killed a forgotten beast and several elves (along with some other mischevious critters such as a plethora of troglodytes and elk birds). The two are married with a dozen children and are the star dwarves of my fortress. The bone shield is called "Pitscalds" and is adorned with gems and more great horned owl bone, including an image of itself in horned owl bone ("on the item is Pitscalds the great horned owl shield in great horned owl bone") and an image of rubber trees in dog bone. It also has a picture of an elf being killed by a roc in lead.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #26379 on: October 31, 2012, 03:27:00 pm »

well they are not even remotely trained.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26380 on: October 31, 2012, 03:30:15 pm »

A zephyre (some kind of kobold-sized rat thing) thief decided to pick a fight with my top herbalist. Niether was harmed, aside from one of the Zephyre's teeth being punched out and the herbalist getting a bruise on his arm. It got lucky in escaping across what amounted to a log laying across the river, otherwise a beetle would have bitten the poor thing in half.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26381 on: October 31, 2012, 03:32:09 pm »

My macedwarf militia commander just killed his son (who went insane during a possession mood because I couldn't get him any wool cloth) and is still ecstatic. His baby daughter on the other hand is unhappy about having lost a sibling recently. Oh well, put him in his lead sarcophagus with the rest.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26382 on: October 31, 2012, 08:10:09 pm »

My fortress is currently under attack by a Minotaur that uses a X(blind cave bear leather cap)X as a weapon.  So many bruised muscles!  The horror!

Happy Halloween!  :o

wer6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #26383 on: October 31, 2012, 08:25:14 pm »

happy hallows eve too ye.

ia little themed one for ye.

ghosts were haunting my fort as usual then suddenly not only do a caravan comes in i minorly (( wer6 know not how to spell.  :'( )) modded in some  material that makes goblins explode into firey doom thy elf's got some  !!annoying man dagger!! the materiel i named the stuff out off. suffice to say the thing exploded: i just changed the min temp to 7 mill urist. the ghosts flocked to the caravan as they exploded: one elf's just whoudnt die! it kept setting fire to the grass and then at autumn the dwarven caravan came: thy went directly over the doom elf setting them on fire too while ghosts were scaring the elfs and dwarfs. then a goblin siege came too: one murderous ghost murdered one of them: i loved it. they fought in a war while giant bats struck down any who strayed out while the elf just rolled around trying to extinguish it self and then setting other goblins on fire: turns out the elf had untold amounts of layers of fat and muscles.  so the elf was basically a torch setting anything it touched on fire: goblins the evil night creature fought the holy gold clad dwarfs ( exaggerated) while one torch lighted everything on fire  like some kind of  blowtorch or a fire bomb: all while ghosts  ran around trolling: then a kobold got lit on fire then shanked the  leader causing his head to explode.then the kobold stole the dagger for the hell of it:i thought good one less problem then everything simultaneity set on fire and retreated causing everyone to die by fire: then it rained right when the militia commander died  of blood loss right outside of the fort. all while ghosts scared the living urist out of him.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26384 on: October 31, 2012, 08:29:24 pm »

I just got an artifact called "Babinator".
Pages: 1 ... 1757 1758 [1759] 1760 1761 ... 3842