Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1747 1748 [1749] 1750 1751 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125666 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26220 on: October 21, 2012, 03:11:52 am »

Waterspear's army is rounding into shape.  A few squads of reservist marksdwarves were given better armor and upgraded to militia status.  Which means they'll be given metal bolts and a section of fortification or a bunker to defend when the next siege arrives. 

Which should be a human attack this summer.  Their latest diplomat was rebuffed, and then caught spying on defenses away from his exit route.  So he was detoured into a ditch and locked in there until further notice.  His corpse is now there since he apparently went insane and died due to something. 

A few more goblin sieges have been rebuffed with heavy goblin casualties as well.  Plus some ambush teams discovering the fortress' penchant for putting in new crossbow traps every so often.  Though one group managed to stick a passing worker in the guts with a pike before getting wiped out by traps and a passing patrol of sword dwarves.

The worker took his wound well.  Got clear of the fight and walked himself into the hospital, retching all the way.  Got the wound examined, cleaned, and bandaged, and then headed back out to work.

And finally got a second artifact weapon... an adamantine war hammer.   ::)

The Queen has been appointed Hammerer and equipped with it for meting out justice to those who fail to fulfill mandates.  She never makes any, but her niece the duchess more than makes up for it!  (Make shields, make bolts, make shields, make bolts, etc. etc. etc.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:14:59 am by Oaktree »
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26221 on: October 21, 2012, 04:31:35 am »

Started a new fort to play with minecarts!  Cheating a bit so that I can fiddle with minecarts and not fiddle with farms/goblin imports.

The quantum industrial complex thread gave me the motivation to try it finally and I've been d'awwwwing nonstop at the little smiley faces pushing carts around.  Need just a touch more planning so that it doesn't look so messy next time (I have a track that runs from the farms/clothier down to the main complex and it pretty much just explodes out of the wall and crosses the main hallway.  Tempted to set it to push and not guide.)  Also need to work out where I'd include the still(s)/kitchen that doesn't clutter up my work area.  I may just have a stockpile up top run down to a different z-level that has the meeting hall/dining room next to the stills/kitchen and dumps plants/meat in a quantum stockpile between them.  Hell, that's probably a good solution for soap too.

Given that my last attempt with minecarts kept setting dwarves on fire (two peasants, legendary miner and the armorsmith I'd embarked with and I still only had 2/7 magma where I wanted my forge at!), this new fort is a great success.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26222 on: October 21, 2012, 08:10:12 am »

Rulonol "Mutedmountains" grows!
stats: Dwarves: 121, 1 seige, and many thieves.

mostly kept the peace with the neighbors, as my millitary is quite up to standard yet. the upper fortress is under construction, as this is an attemps at a huge stone megafort, I dont want to breach the caverns just yet. Figure I got 1 maby 2 lvls until I do.  more chalk than I know what to do with, most upper areas are getting paved (chalk blocks + collored areas to break up the white).
Building a catapult battery for training.

still havent picked out a hammerer yet, cause nobody quite stands out. (yes I am a Masocist, No Mandate Shall Be Ignored)

later General plans include Cast and smoothed walls of obsidian.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26223 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:01 am »

Elves just arrived to trade, i was looking forward to them as i needed to "buy" (steal) their wood.

They decided to wade across the water need a waterfall, rather than move a teeny bit further along and use the bridge (literally 7 spaces away).

They got pushed over the waterfall and they are currently drowning/dead from the fall.
the poor elves  ;D
On another positive note, i get to steal their stuff!
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26224 on: October 21, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »

My damn sheep are killing each other in the pastures. They all got stuck in the top-right corner after being sheared and now they won't leave, and are fighting over the little patches of grass.

The upper magma forges are now operational, but won't see much use until I can come up with an efficient means of getting all the ore to them. I think I'll need minecart routes. The glass furnaces, in the meantime, will be seeing a lot of use.

Dumat Avuzallas, Stray Gremlin Hunter (Tame) cancels Store Item in Barrel: Incapable of carrying.

I had no idea "incapable of carrying" was even a thing. I also don't know WHY this little guy can't carry it, or what he's trying to carry. Or why a tame animal is storing items in stockpiles; they don't do that...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:28:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26225 on: October 21, 2012, 06:45:06 pm »

The FB syndrome I mentioned earlier has shown it's advanced stage: full loss of function on lungs. My entire fort just suffocated thanks to a FB that didn't manage to kill a single pet (or dwarf) during it's rampage.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26226 on: October 21, 2012, 07:14:59 pm »

An adequate weaponsmith just made a stack of masterwork adamantine bolts for my archers to turn into individual bolts. What are the chances of getting a masterwork item out of an adequate worker? Small, for sure.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26227 on: October 21, 2012, 07:15:52 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26228 on: October 21, 2012, 07:57:12 pm »

So my Dwarves decided to bury Äs, the necromancer who caused the raven bomb disaster. Äs was a former Dwarven King of the civilization, and was buried in 7 pieces within a brass sarcophagus. I'm not certain they found all the pieces.
Old traditions never die, even after 400 years of life after death.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26229 on: October 21, 2012, 08:46:17 pm »

So I just had my first "falling dwarf scouts out the lower levels while falling down a volcano and finds adamantine" moment that all DF players really should have in their course of playing. One of our two miners was apparently dumb enough to fall in to the volcano from a random WTF cave-in from removing a floor tile over the crater. Twenty real life seconds later, "Raw adamantine! Praise the miners!"

Praise the miners indeed. His sacrifice will not be remembered, I didn't even know his name.  :P

What makes this even better is the fact this was intended to be a disposable experimental fort for testing a reaction to make chain-swords. Adamantine chain-swords, here we come!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26230 on: October 21, 2012, 08:54:42 pm »

So I just had my first "falling dwarf scouts out the lower levels while falling down a volcano and finds adamantine" moment that all DF players really should have in their course of playing. One of our two miners was apparently dumb enough to fall in to the volcano from a random WTF cave-in from removing a floor tile over the crater. Twenty real life seconds later, "Raw adamantine! Praise the miners!"

Praise the miners indeed. His sacrifice will not be remembered, I didn't even know his name.  :P

What makes this even better is the fact this was intended to be a disposable experimental fort for testing a reaction to make chain-swords. Adamantine chain-swords, here we come!
I embarked on a volcano mountain. I had six dwarves fall all the way from the rim of the volcano into the sea before the first migrant wave. Somehow one of the pickaxes never fell in with any of them, and the survivor used it to carve out a meager for by herself.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26231 on: October 21, 2012, 08:58:24 pm »

On chainswords, already made them They are AWESOME when done properly (that is slice the shit out of everything to OP levels. Like a chainsword should.)

So, I've decided to commit heresy and play as elves. Taking all bets on how long I'll last.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26232 on: October 21, 2012, 09:04:28 pm »

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

He just migrated to the fort, and gets all secretive all the sudden. Claiming a craftdwarf shop, he demands shells.

In this place, no one can go outside long enough to fish. So we drill a hole into the aquifer, and have some other migrants start pulling turtles out of the aquifer.

How the hell did a turtle get there? I don't know. All I know is there won't be a corpse running around the fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3 shells, and this is made.

Hanging rings of shell, bands of shell, no other fancy stuff. At least there is a legendary bone crafter now... and I can have meat added back to our menu, and have some crap fancy trinkets to trade to the caravans.

Oh, and the husk/thrall elimination system has been tested.

Perfect.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:34:40 pm by Lich180 »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26233 on: October 21, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »

Oh sweet buttery lobster jesus. I want my dwarves to make a mask. You lucky son of a gun.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26234 on: October 21, 2012, 09:45:58 pm »

I have been trying to get all the furniture in my fort and I might have to put my fort in lockdown while I get everything organized and some "Spartarns" danger roomed.

I do have some soldiers but they are mostly wrestlers with one armed dorf "The Manager" the only noble I care about who is the leader of the fort.

Well I do care about the bookkeep but that job is probobly the safest job in the fort.

"The Manager" has a crossbow and insufficiant ammo because he wont carry more and he might have iron mail.

Bout it.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)
Pages: 1 ... 1747 1748 [1749] 1750 1751 ... 3842