Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1746 1747 [1748] 1749 1750 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125674 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26205 on: October 20, 2012, 06:13:34 pm »

I embarked in an evil biome, and had spent the best part of the game so far hiding from 'profane fog'. I found out recently, due to a surprise cloud, that the fog is completely harmless...

... Except to chickens, which it makes their lungs fail. Cats, dogs, elves, dwarves, humans and every other type of creature on the map just falls over for a round, except chickens, which die of suffocation. If it knocked things unconscious, it might be useful, but no, it just makes them crawl while they're in it, then they stand back up unless, of course, they're chickens. I'm trying to think of some way to use this, but chickens are unlikely to siege me.

Do evil clouds affect vermin? If so, it could be useful by killing all your vermin for you.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26206 on: October 20, 2012, 06:21:16 pm »

I embarked in an evil biome, and had spent the best part of the game so far hiding from 'profane fog'. I found out recently, due to a surprise cloud, that the fog is completely harmless...

... Except to chickens, which it makes their lungs fail. Cats, dogs, elves, dwarves, humans and every other type of creature on the map just falls over for a round, except chickens, which die of suffocation. If it knocked things unconscious, it might be useful, but no, it just makes them crawl while they're in it, then they stand back up unless, of course, they're chickens. I'm trying to think of some way to use this, but chickens are unlikely to siege me.

Sounds useful for traps and siege defense with crossbows, with right timing. Might be the syndrome's just not strong enough to mangle anything bigger than chicken's lungs? Keep an eye on it for a while :D
Yep, sounds weight based. Try tossing small animals into it to see of its consistent, then find the upper limit.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26207 on: October 20, 2012, 06:24:00 pm »

Dont intentionally expose your population; chances are the stuff has at least one more nasty effect that is delayed heavily, and will come back to haunt you. It'll happen slowly, as those first infected develop the deadly side-effect and drop dead in a massive pool of blood. But eventually, everyone who came in contact with it, ever, will share their fate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26208 on: October 20, 2012, 06:47:57 pm »

Yep, sounds weight based. Try tossing small animals into it to see of its consistent, then find the upper limit.
It's more likely to be based on disease resistance. In one of my current forts ,TwighlightWound, there's a fog that causes paralysis. Average dwarven disease resistance is more than enough to downgrade the effect to numbness, or partial paralysis. Weak dwarves however suffer from full paralysis and suffocate shortly after.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26209 on: October 20, 2012, 08:45:21 pm »

Dont intentionally expose your population; chances are the stuff has at least one more nasty effect that is delayed heavily, and will come back to haunt you. It'll happen slowly, as those first infected develop the deadly side-effect and drop dead in a massive pool of blood. But eventually, everyone who came in contact with it, ever, will share their fate.

I think that'd be interesting to see.  Worth it, I say!
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26210 on: October 20, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »

What's going on? Oh, the usual - dwarves being too upset about enduring the decay of a friend to properly entomb said friend and others; starting fistfights and creating more bodies waiting for entombement; getting caught in miasma coming from unburied dwarves; getting more unhappy and thus not burying their dead.

Ok, convicting the wrong dead troll didn't help the moods. Oh well, new fort, I guess.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26211 on: October 20, 2012, 09:33:01 pm »

Today I designed and built a magma pump stack between z-levels 69 and 115. I just now got the last pump hooked up and power now flows all the way to the bottom along the three individual stacks and the power trains connecting them where they had to be split (there was no location where I could go all the way from the magma sea to the top of the map with a straight shot). This should all increase productivity for my metalworkers by at least 50%, not to mention make a permanently-active glass industry possible. Green glass everywhere!

However, the FPS may decrease significantly... It's all powered by 7 waterwheels on an aquifer I forced flow in.

One dwarf died during construction: a legendary miner by the name of Rith, who plummeted many z-levels off a cliff face when I accidentally made a designation that resulted in an aquifer being tapped. He was swept off and exploded far below at the bottom of the river. What a horrible way to go. Looked cool though.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:35:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26212 on: October 20, 2012, 10:00:16 pm »

My new embark has an 11 zlvl waterfall...with a major river.  My FPS is crying, but I regret nothing.

Time for a cliffside fort!

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26213 on: October 20, 2012, 10:42:44 pm »

It's more likely to be based on disease resistance. In one of my current forts ,TwighlightWound, there's a fog that causes paralysis. Average dwarven disease resistance is more than enough to downgrade the effect to numbness, or partial paralysis. Weak dwarves however suffer from full paralysis and suffocate shortly after.
I don't think it's related to disease resistance, several dwarves with very weak resistance have walked through with no ill effects. it bears further testing.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26214 on: October 20, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »

I don't think it's related to disease resistance, several dwarves with very weak resistance have walked through with no ill effects. it bears further testing.
"very weak" and other descriptors are based off of species average. You can use DFhack to set a chickens disease resistance to that of a dwarf and a dwarf to that of a chicken. If the dwarf is still immune and the chicken is still killed then it has to do with size, if the chicken survives and the dwarf dies then it's disease resistance.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26215 on: October 20, 2012, 11:43:23 pm »

Oh god, the fish that are falling off the waterfall and dying at the bottom are reanimating and killing other fish.  There's a Pike corpse mauling a bunch of carp right now and scaring my genomes.

Thank god they can't actually get out of the river.

I...I actually kind of feel sorry for the carp.  Those river otter mutilated corpses are tearing the crap out of them.  Of course, I won't feel sorry for long as they become zombies too.

Really really glad the bottom river has no access.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:52:48 pm by Clover Magic »

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26216 on: October 20, 2012, 11:56:31 pm »

Hey, caravan

Take this large pile of blood soaked human-size armor and don't ask where I got it.

And if you tell anyone you got this from me, then armok help me I'll feed you to the war dogs!
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26217 on: October 21, 2012, 12:00:40 am »

My bolds are gonna be some happy bastards when we get enough excess barrels: My civ had access to sunberries and the first two crops have come in now. Also stalk wood crop just came in, so I need to set up a processor to get some wood I also need to train some macebolds at the training grounds since I think clubs use the mace skill and I have enough kit for three more soldiers and some clubs made.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #26218 on: October 21, 2012, 12:29:41 am »

I just embarked on the other side of a volcano from a snow titan. His description is as follows:
A huge Quadreped composed of snow. It has large mandibles and emanates an aura of giving and kindness.

Not really sure what to do with it, so far my woodcutters have been left alone as it just stands in a little field of pillars scaring off the occasional giant wolverine.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26219 on: October 21, 2012, 12:33:00 am »

Clearly you must Select a militia commander from the rabble. If they manage to kill it (even those snow ones can slap your shit if you aren't careful/ are overconfident) then they earn the title of champion and commander.

So a caravan came. Time to trade the pile sof horn and tooth shit I have for some meat, fish, and booze. Also I can once again confirm: Wild animals that remain on map long enough will reproduce. I have a small wild herd of mole dogs in the caverns below my camp growing from births.
Pages: 1 ... 1746 1747 [1748] 1749 1750 ... 3842