Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1748 1749 [1750] 1751 1752 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125562 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26235 on: October 21, 2012, 10:26:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On chainswords, already made them They are AWESOME when done properly (that is slice the shit out of everything to OP levels. Like a chainsword should.)

Yeah, I'm sure chainswords have been done, since I recall reading about a Warhammer 40k mod, so that's a given,  but I haven't done it yet. It's a nice learning experience for modding.

If the weapons turn out well, I'll think about how I could set up power armor to work.

In fort news, the reaction failed to work as expected and I dumped the fort and world to try and figure out what's up with the mod itself. I may have raged quit a bit, but darn it, I thought for sure the reaction would work this time.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26236 on: October 22, 2012, 06:45:56 pm »

I just found out two things.

One. Even though I had traded all those masterwork excess tables in that small window of opportunity that arose, when my duke (who is not only solely, but also particularily fond of tables) decided for 2 minutes not to ban their export, I found out that, even though the transaction was completed within that period of time, it did not matter to my Duke. 12 dwarves have been sentenced to punishments. Either 25 days in prison, or 4 hammerstrikes.

Two. I have made exactly one warhammer in my fort. A silver one. Just as I feared the worst, I got the following message: 'Hammer' Cuborkogan, hammerer, cancels execute criminal: No weapon for execution.
One of the convicts, that had hammerstrikes coming, happens to be a soldier. I guess he brought a table to the depot in his off-duty time. He is also the wielder of aforementioned silver warhammer.
All hammerings have since been reduced to no punishment whatsoever.

The irony.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:11:57 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26237 on: October 22, 2012, 07:35:51 pm »

Those dwarves are beyond lucky.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26238 on: October 22, 2012, 07:46:32 pm »

An adequate weaponsmith just made a stack of masterwork adamantine bolts for my archers to turn into individual bolts. What are the chances of getting a masterwork item out of an adequate worker? Small, for sure.
Depends on his stats. Skill isn't the only indicator, dwarves with exceptionally high mental stats are much more likely to make masterpieces.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26239 on: October 22, 2012, 08:27:35 pm »

I never thought I would ever do a dual fort. But here it is, torchfog. The upper classes try to survive while the lower classes try to recreate project FTW from boatmurdered

Spoiler: the surface dorfs hate me. probably because they only found a sealed hole in the ground.

Inventory: clothes, recently made training axes, flies, dirt.

Spoiler: these guys rock, and the fort is going nicely

Inventory: Clothes, Weapons, Proper Bookkeeper to correct grammar, Beds, Mostly self sufficient fort.

Any suggestions to make this dual fort any more !!FUN!!?
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26240 on: October 22, 2012, 09:57:06 pm »

An interesting past few months in Waterspear.

The humans sent a five squad siege and actually built campfires when they started to settle in.

One squad camped right beside one of the outer drawbridges.  Said squad withdrew after half of it got atom smashed or trapped in an outer pasture and then shot to pieces by a marksdwarf squad.  One bold rider tried to ride the length of the fortress from south to north to go out another gate.  He got 2/3 of the way there and then took an iron bolt to the head.  Adventurous, but eventually futile.

The squads to the west were engaged by marksdwarf squads in the archery bunkers.  The one human elite archer took a toll with his copper arrows.  Two dwarves killed, three wounded, and one of the wounded died in the hospital.  The archer's squad and their mounts absorbed a lot of return fire, along with the two other cavalry squads in their camps. 

The humans eventually withdrew after suffering a dozen killed including two squad leaders and numerous wounded.  A few mounts were processed for the fortress larder.

Following this Waterspear undertook it's long-standing project to deal with the denizens of the Underworld.  A hole was made and the howling horde appeared and entered a carefully prepared gauntlet that led them upward and into a hallway of lever-operated steel spikes and a complex bridge-based trap (one of the infamous "checkerboards").  The spikes proved very effective as only *four* heavily wounded demons out of over 100 reached the final area.  They were sealed in to be dealt with later while an expeditionary force headed downward.  (The spike traps were slow to build and wire, but appear to have been worth the effort.)

Waterspear now has a base camp and walled in access stair to the lowest level.  As well as multiple layers of defenses to protect the fortress core from another invasion.  The work has not been without danger.  A group of guard crocodiles were pounded to pieces by a snow demon, and a marksdwarf came home in an urn after being hit by a fireball.  At this point brick stockpiles are being shifted in relative safety into working areas before efforts get underway to start gaining better control of the area and to complete a survey of the newly discovered terrain.

How to effectively guard workers is going to be an issue.  Though since most of them carry crossbows all the time a few have already successfully protected themselves.

We are also considering closing gates in a season or two and seeing if the elves can be convinced to exit via the cellar.   :D
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26241 on: October 22, 2012, 10:49:20 pm »

Busy making and testing graphics.  Apparently my game is just incapable of properly parking a wagon.  I've lost count of how many times I've facepalmed now because of the starting position.

On the up side, the graphics are working so far!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26242 on: October 22, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »

So, my elves have had to embrace the human and dwarven approach and lop down a few trees. fittingly, my woodchoppers are also my soldiers. We've a small space cleared out and already we've a field of cultivated pines sown, as well as crops of sunberries and whipvines. One of the Wood Sanitars, as the elves call thier choppers, has also prepared the leopards for battle, and each soldier was assigned one.

Overall, we're already doing well. One awesome benefit is those stupid ravens don't even bother the elves' work when they pass through, and they can apprach animals to kill them for provisions should we need them (settle near a cave, a giant mole and an elk bird have succumbed to ashen sabres.) I wonder if I'll see antmen or goblins first...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26243 on: October 22, 2012, 11:31:12 pm »

I've just finished the basic layout for my royal floor. As if by appointment, the option 'becoming the capital' has just popped up in my (n)obility menu.
I hope the King will like his floor. It already has an artefact statue in place of him being crowned.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26244 on: October 23, 2012, 04:10:24 am »

I've just finished the basic layout for my royal floor. As if by appointment, the option 'becoming the capital' has just popped up in my (n)obility menu.
I hope the King will like his floor. It already has an artefact statue in place of him being crowned.

That is the most glorious thing ever I don't even know how to respond what does one say to this?

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26245 on: October 23, 2012, 07:57:12 am »

My leatherworker just created an artifact dog leather mask. I have a strong suspicion that this is part one of a multipart artifact gimp-suit. Complete with leather scourge and leather rope.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #26246 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:46 am »

Finally tried legends of forlorn realms. Let's try a pure-underground fort...

... Devourers of the depths. Holy fuck.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26247 on: October 23, 2012, 04:30:45 pm »

Just did the first few steps for project skyforge.
Basically building the whole fortress around an volcano, and stacking layer by layer of forges and melters on top of it, pumping magma to each layer.

I spent around 6 hours creating worlds and looking for an volcano that fits my needs.
At least, there are a little too much ores around, also I miss a tower nearby for extra fun.

There is still no way to add a tower to the world map, or am I wrong?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26248 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »

If you mean forcing the game to generate a tower in a location; no, there is not.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26249 on: October 23, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »

I ment placing a tower after world generation has finished
Pages: 1 ... 1748 1749 [1750] 1751 1752 ... 3842