Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1668 1669 [1670] 1671 1672 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969233 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25035 on: August 20, 2012, 11:29:56 am »

The farm area is being evacuated, due to dwarven merchants having camped out there for the last 3 years. Everything is being moved into the rock layer temporarily, and we have caught an ettin in a cage.

The merchants will have magma dumped on them, and the entire farm area will be engulfed in flames in order to purge them from the fort. ((Its the only way that I can think of, and they are keeping me from getting migrants))

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25036 on: August 20, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 9th Granite, yr.451
We went to the wagon only to discover that stupid Giant Mosquito Corpse resting on it. It seemed ... somehow more creepy and murky than usual. In my haste, I also noticed some lungfish laying dead. Our food and booze remains in that wagon... but after a meeting, we agreed to get to work with what supplies we have availble inside. The miners were split into 3 groups: two are carving better entrances, and one is digging for signs of any cave or cavern.

Spoiler: Trope Namer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Poor Lungfish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Burrowing Miners (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:20:49 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25037 on: August 20, 2012, 06:19:26 pm »

I got a visitor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He killed a pair of the bugged "trader" migrants clillin' out on the ooze plane before coming to crossbow range, at which point a marksdorf put one between his eyes.

Also,
Ostrich chicks have hatched.
Yeah bitches, farming ostriches for fun and profit! \o/ The chicks turned out -Trained- or +Trained+ from the get-go, so I figure I'll butcher the original breeding pair and focus on domesticating the chicks... (Because nothing engenders trust and love like watching your parents being murdered.) My civ has already learned a few facts about ostriches and rattlesnakes, so all in all things are looking good, despite a goblin ambuish making some trouble with pastured animals.
[edit]
General familiarity with rattlesnakes, yay!  8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:39:27 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25038 on: August 20, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »

Sus, my glaciar fort has become "Quite knowlegable" about crundles! You ain't got nothin' on me!.... Although honestly ostriches sound better than what to me an an uppity flap of bitey taint skin...

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25039 on: August 20, 2012, 07:43:15 pm »

Sus, my glaciar fort has become "Quite knowlegable" about crundles! You ain't got nothin' on me!.... Although honestly ostriches sound better than what to me an an uppity flap of bitey taint skin...

Splint, i'll need access to your animal trainer's faces. They are corrupted by the crundle's black magic mind control beams of evil.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25040 on: August 20, 2012, 08:07:32 pm »

Swarms of gray languars keep bothering my forgeworks, trying to steal armor and weapons out of the stocks. Corai's kobolds must be getting lazy and just having the monkies steal shit for them. Smart, but still. I feel insulted.

Three speardorfs, a swordsdorf, and two hammerers are now chasing the little bastards around.... You know, once it's trained well enough, I may just post that dragon near the way in. There's no plantlife to burn, so having an angry dragon cooking thiving little pests would be a god thing.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25041 on: August 20, 2012, 11:29:18 pm »

Enormous goblin siege showed up a couple minutes ago with a troop of hammer goblins, crossbow goblins, swords goblins, a dozen mounts, and some war cave dragons. At the exact same moment the human caravan showed up. The humans fought valiantly and where violently ripped apart by the goblins after managing to kill almost all the crossbow goblins. I have my fortress on lock down the entryway of a thousand deaths is primed with cage traps and other devices of death. About half the goblins and mounts run in and get caught, the rest hold back so I send out a well armed marksdwarf named Alath Sherikcog to take some potshots. He goes into a martial trance immediatly a pone seeing the goblins runs up to the only one who wasn't captured while charging forward to kill the marksdwarf, stabs the goblin in the leg immobilizing him, grabs him and stabs him in the face not 1, not 2, but three times shattering his skull, ripping apart the tissue, and basically liquifying the goblins brain.

When the next round of goblins stops before my traps I sent the same marksdwarf out to draw them in, all the goblins ran in terror.

That glorious bastard just won himself a grand eternal resting place in the hall of wondrous tombs.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25042 on: August 21, 2012, 12:06:19 am »

Looks like I've caught some dingoes as well. Learned a few facts about 'em, too. Both rattlesnakes and ostriches are now at "general familiarity" level. In the Advanced Animal husbandry class, I'm trying to war-train a bobcat. The Wiki says it's too small to be much of a fighter, but whatever. 

Funny how involved one gets with animal training now that it's possible to tame new exotic species For Science!™ that your entire civilization learns. It also makes starting new forts in an existing world that much more compelling...
The down side is, now I can't become the mountainhome lest the inevitable failure of Cobaltchain end my entire civilization and the lessons learned go to waste. 
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25043 on: August 21, 2012, 12:15:45 am »

Snatcher got caught making off with akid. So... Now we need to get the bag and hence the kid out of the cage. Captured a couple gray languars, killed many more, captured some beak dogs, and a prior snatcher got away with another kid. Good riddance. I usually like having the little buggers running around, but with my currenmt situation they're an unneeded strain on booze.

Got four 3 dorf squads, but haven't finished thier training spaces yet. All of them are armed and armored, and I have copper a plenty for many many more suits and weapons.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25044 on: August 21, 2012, 12:46:01 am »

Tossing pets I don't want down a chute in the hopes of killing them off. It's not really working as planned.

Another problem, is that dwarves like to go collect the body parts of splattered dogs and sergals. A glassmaker just got bonked on the head by a sergal child, and broke everything below the waist, and his left shoulder. I hope the doctors were ready for such a case...

Legs: completely pastified
left upper arm: compound fracture
Left shoulder: overlapping fracture of the bone, compound fracture extending into muscle tissue.

I can't blame the guy for screaming like a little girl and passing out repeatedly after that one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:05:54 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25045 on: August 21, 2012, 01:12:39 am »

I am in my 10th year and I have begun setting up a cage trap "garden" on different sides of my map to catch ambushes.  Ironically the next ambush had a perfect target: my mechanic dwarves that were setting up the cage traps.  I enabled all my "useless" dwarves with the mechanics labor to get through this job quickly and unfortunately the queen was out there at the time and got gunned down by crossbow goblins.  One of my soldiers made a heroic effort in the defense though.  He took a crossbow bolt to the face and it fractured his skull and he lived even after taking about 4 more to his other limbs beforehand.  He takes one final action before his death and thrusts his spear through the brain of the attacker.  Long story short, there was another part of the ambush that appeared on the bottom of the map at the same time as an elvish caravan.  The elves got slaughtered like kittens in a dwarven kitchen, to my great amusement.  I even caged one of their oxen by accident.  The queen's corpse was placed in her clear glass coffin in the bottom of the earth surrounded by iron statues which are then surrounded by molten rock and lava which is all encompassed by a candy stockpile.  I lost a few good dwarves but many more goblins were slaughtered and many more await their grizzly fate in my naked prisoner rodeo...erhhhm  I mean combat arena.     

I am now putting the finishing touches on my "tower of exile" aka my prison on the roof of a giant tower.  At the same time I am waiting for the opportune time to reenter the caves with my military and kill all the newly generated forgotten beasts/cage a family of troglodytes.   

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25046 on: August 21, 2012, 02:47:46 am »

Godlycooked saw its second siege just after a caravan arrived. It was far too large and well-equipped for my tiny militia to deal with, so I was forced to pull back and seal the gate. None of the merchants got in, although I think a few may have escaped the map. Those who didn't were slain outright or went melancholy. A caravan guard survived for more than a month, but eventually one of the enemy got a lucky shot on her and she fell. I've erected two slabs in her honor, one in the dining hall for everyone to see and another in the security office to inspire my troops. I later managed to recover her remains and seal them behind glass, but the relic seems to have rotted away to nothing.

While the siege was parked outside, I spent my time on internal infrastructure, especially plumbing, which involves the most complicated waterworks I've build since my very first fortress in 40d. I've been spoiled by aquifiers, but in Godlycookied we're preparing to seal ourselves off from the sinful and contaminated upper world, so for thematic reasons I'm moving cavern water around and irrigating stone layers instead of farming in soil and tapping the aquifier wherever I want a well.

After the siege was lifted, I sent my citizens out to recover what was left of the caravan. They were about two-thirds done when the leader of the Diomedan pony civilization personally laid siege to us. I sent out a squad of archers to cover the retreat and put the rest of my troops inside the entrance near the trade depot, but one idiot was too busy drinking booze from the caravan (someone else's booze always tastes better than your own) to obey the alert, and I didn't pull the squad back in time to prevent most of them getting cut off. My animal-capture cage traps were insufficient to stop a large siege, and a group of war-trained Diomedan dire spiders came up through the hills behind the entrance, forcing me to seal the gate while the idiot, her child and a few troops were still outside. About half of the spiders got inside and mauled many troops and a few civilians before I managed to put them down.

Outside, my troops put up a decent fight but were eventually dropped and tortured to death. The idiot civilian they were trying to protect survived longest, hiding amongst the trees surrounding the booze she was so busy drinking, but she and her child were eventually caught and killed.

After these disasters, the general mood was poor. Ghosts appeared, frightening a highly-skilled worker to death, and another valuable pony, one Sun Budbrand, was very unhappy. Wax Fruityconvent, a child I was grooming for the militia, went melancholy and three babies died from thirst or hunger. Someone toppled the soapmaker's workshop. Sun Budbrand kept tantruming, and then he loosed a laugh, fell and terrible!

My only butchers' shops were set up in a temporary area underneath the wastewater tank and well away from everything else, so I hit upon a plan to solve two of my problems: Once he claimed a shop, I locked him in, constructed an airlock and arranged to move my melancholy child into it. I unlocked the inside door and natureDwarf Fortress took its course. When Sun Budbrand came back, his mood was much better and he was hauling a really nice pony-bone bed. He said it was called Nightmarestood the Torturous Sun, but was strangely evasive whenever anyone mentioned that missing child.

Two years later the intruders were gone but the SIEGE flag was still there. I noticed that the stocks screen showed a forbidden weapon in a tile containing a tree on the edge of the map, so I eventually had my deforestation team cut it down. When the tree came down, a hostile spearpony who hadn't been on the units list showed up and scared off my haulers. I sent my militia to deal with him, and once they dropped his mount, Wing Dawnspring the Frigid Crab of Princesses decided that using her rainbow whip just wasn't sporting. She one-shotted him with a hoof to the head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain. The SIEGE is now lifted!

While my troops were moving around, Adhabu Ghadhabumchawi the wereiguana (hrosiguana? hroswereiguana, since it was a cave pony turned into a giant iguana twisted into humanoid form?) decided it was a good idea to attack my militia commander, who shot him in the heart and then danced around dodging Adhabu's attacks and insulting his mother as he bled to death.

tl;dr A fell mood solved two problems at once, and some soldiers decided not to put up with any bugged sieges or uppity lycanthropehippoes.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25047 on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:56 am »

A kobold thief decided that the best course of action would be to approach my fort between the river and the south wall. There's a wall that blocks the way, but there's access via an underground passage full of cage traps. The real security comes from the two axedwarves and four marksdwarves stationed there at all times.

They shot her six times. The first shot to the hand disarmed her. Four more shots were to the upper or lower torso, piercing pancreas, lungs, and guts. An artery was severed. Each of the torso shots sent her skidding backwards. The last one knocked her back down into the passage, and straight into a cage trap. Amazingly, she was still alive. They dragged her back to the pitting ground to await her fate.

I couldn't do it. I set up the cage in the forest and let her go. She blinked for a moment, then ran away.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25048 on: August 21, 2012, 03:43:06 am »

I couldn't do it. I set up the cage in the forest and let her go. She blinked for a moment, then ran away.
A real dwarf would immerse the invader in magma, cast the magma into stone, then carve the stone into a statue of a kobold. What better way to fully capture the creature's bravery?

weterman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25049 on: August 21, 2012, 11:47:13 am »

well, my goal is to have as many dwarves as possible.
Pages: 1 ... 1668 1669 [1670] 1671 1672 ... 3839