Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1667 1668 [1669] 1670 1671 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969168 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25020 on: August 19, 2012, 03:56:59 pm »

I just realized it's mid-autumn. Humans never came.

I worry if my fort has access to any of the civs. I hope it's just because we are so far flunged in the middle of nowhere.

If goblins can't come I might either abandon the fort, or take up modding.

I think I will poke around in DF files for bit.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25021 on: August 19, 2012, 06:48:55 pm »

Building my entrance... A bit slow going since I've resorted to using boulders, but what can you do... there's only so much labor that can go towards making stone blocks.

My dorfs have captured a porcupine, a pair of ostriches and two rattlesnakes and are practicing on taming them. This is good.

Also,

TULOOOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!  >:(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25022 on: August 19, 2012, 10:03:59 pm »

Just traded with the dwarven caravan. Got some well needed fuel, wood, and bins. Also got some plaster, leather, and padded the food and drink supplies.

I think I bought a wee bit too many drinks.

Before trade: About 20-30 in drinks.
Post Trade: 306 in drinks.

Turned off brewing for a bit, as I only have 209 in foods that are not seeds/drinks/other.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25023 on: August 19, 2012, 10:08:00 pm »

too much drink is a good thing with dwarves.

So, I depot ripped the caravan (didn't know it was autumn, but I netted a coupel turrets) killed a tiny group of forest imps and nymphs (zweihanders rule) and a soldier punched a sweatman to death. I also got an irridium wafer. I have no idea how good that is but I'm gonna save them up so I can give my militia commander a bitchin' space metal sword. I also have enough copper to make some decent enough copper armorsuits, if only as a stopgap until I can get something better.

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25024 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:16 pm »

I broke into a new underground cavern yesterday. Before I built stairs down for foot traffic, I took a look at some of the webs lying around.

giant cave spider silk web!

So I carefully built wooden doors, surrounded by cage traps. Upstairs, I built a nice spider room with a pet wardog and looms nearby. Broke through, and ...

NO SPIDER  >:(

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25025 on: August 19, 2012, 10:36:56 pm »

Give it time. One is bound to show up. I had overzealous soldiers accidently kill one I wanted to catch (he wasn't active, he fired on it when it webbed a woodcutter, put a hole in its head.)

Spring is here! And a flock of spirite ravens and harpies have visited in the last few days respectivly. Armor production is going well, as is weapons, even though it's copper combat gear is combat gear.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25026 on: August 20, 2012, 12:35:49 am »

A quiet few seasons in Cryptdagger after a year with three sieges.  Road building kept the haulers busy enough that no one collected eggs - and chicksplosion claimed a chunk of FPS for awhile.  They were cage eventually and something like normality returned.   And the last known FB in the caverns was lured into a cell and spiked to death.  So now there is some expansion into the caverns to gather some easy wood supplies and possibly collect some cavern wildlife.

The militia training schedules were switched around as well.  About twenty dwarves on 24/7 training and full steel armor, supported by another twenty on 3/4 or 1/2 schedules.  All 40-50 fully geared in steel armor and weapons.  So are pretty slow moving as a result, while some the Legendary ones have 4+ levels of Armor User and zip around very quickly.  The 5-dwarf sword squad is quick enough that I have been rushing small groups of goblin archers with them.  (Gather squad just around a corner, and then let them loose to take out the goblins.)  Smiths have been recycling armor and weapons to make better quality outfits - most gear is now superior or masterwork quality.  Extra gear is being melted down, or will be traded to the Mountainhomes since the latest trade agreement is paying 200% of normal value for some of the weapons this year. 

The reserves (60 dwarves) are on a reduced schedule (1 month/season) and using leather armor and caps still, but also doing a lot of training and labor work since there are still various construction projects going on.

Glass bridge construction and gem cutter training has been an interesting cycle.  Digging lots of clay loam for the jewelers to cut - they then encrust ammo with it for practice.  The kilns are busy making brick, and also baking potash to make pearlash to make clear glass.  And the leftovers from making glass block went to raw glass (both clear and green) that the jewelers get to practice with as well.  A couple of the more intersting pieces* are being kept rather than immediately traded to whichever group turns up next.

* - Ended up with a superior clear glass crown, superiorly decorated with cut citrine and masterpiece elk bird horn.  Not horribly valuable, but still an interesting piece.  Will probably "gift" it to the Mountainhome, or just keep it in the stockpile.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25027 on: August 20, 2012, 02:14:42 am »

There's a Forgotten Beast named Gopet (read: Go-pet) in my well. He is sort of the fort's mascot I guess, since nobody's got around to quite killing him yet. Gopet has managed one indirect kill: some poor fool was on top of the well when he released a cloud of boiling extract. The ensuing plume of mist sucked the hapless dorf into the well where he subsequently drowned. I placed the marksdorfs at the well in retaliation, but other than putting an *iron bolt* through Gopet's guts, they achieved little. Gopet, meanwhile, managed to break several of his own body parts by vapor-propelling himself at various walls.

As usual, outside It is raining putrid goo!. Nevertheless, a human diplomat decided to pay a visit to my lovely little hellhole in the ass end of nowhere. She stuck around for some +longland tea+ and ☼plump helmet crumpet☼s, complimenting on the decor before wading off through the mass of stinking, fever-inducing goo outside. Apparently, diplomats and merchants bear a fairly strong masochistic streak.

The goblins also sent their first siege, although it was just a small group of spearmen. Most of the ensuing deaths would be attributable to Usbū, Giant bat; not because of his combat prowress, but because he decided to stay hovering at +1z just outside crossbow range from my fortifications, forcing my military to go out hunting for him. Eventually, Usbū got a crossbow bolt in the leg, fell from the sky, and was hit by a load of falling goblin spearsergeant. Thus ended Usbū's reign of terror. Two of the goblins went back home, one with a broken back and the other nursing a mangled arm, the rest of the greenskins bought the big one by decapitation or skull-bashing. Let that be a warning to their ilk.

My entrance is starting to be quite spectacular, what with the lovely Diorite road and engraved walls. The fortifications on top of it are now armed and fully operational, as well as the trapdoor bridges. As a further "Fuck you!" to invaders plunged into the spiked pit, I pastured my two Rattlesnakes(Trained) down there. More to follow as soon as they're trained, there's two Semi-Wild specimen already in the cages. (Too bad the vicious little fucks don't seem to reproduce in captivity. :( ) The merchant wagons leaving Cobaltchains even make use of the road on their way out. Why they keep entering the map via the edge furthest away from the road is anybody's guess...

Other than thet, the magma forge and its attendant smelters are picking up quite nicely and we're getting some primo ☼steel weapon☼s. Some of the candy went towards crafting a battle ax for my militia captain. There's also an artifact candy helm waiting for the first soldierdorf to hit legendary. To keep up charcoal production, my miners are in the process of hollowing out a soil layer to serve as a subterranean tree farm, since little anything grows even on the un-blighted part of the surface.

Oh, and I sold a Porcupine (Trained) to the humans. Like an Elf. 8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:32:31 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25028 on: August 20, 2012, 06:05:59 am »

Some nice things happened to my fortress recently.

First of all, I finally got my first Siege after 5 years - a shitload of zombieelves attacked my. Those who were not captured by my widely spread traps, were finished by my marksdwarfes - in the end, 5 of them got Elite marksdwarfes. I used some elven traders as bait to get those undead near my walls. Most of them only took a single shot before they fell.

I don't know how and why, but after the attack, my 5 elite marksdwarfes were reverted to be marksdwarfes again. This happens to me all the time. Help plx?

A year later, a were-mongoose came from the south, crossed the river and killed 2 mechanic, who tried to expand my energy supply system, and 3 fisherdwarfes. After this, the werebeast tarnsformed into a human, and was a oneshot-kill for my marksdwarfes.

Only a season later, A goblin siege - only one squad - came to my fortress. Only a few moments later, the undead armies also tried to siege my fortress. At first, it seemed that the goblins, who wielded maces, easily destroy those undead. At least they killed approximatley half of them, befor the last goblin fell to ground. This was the time, I recognized the necromancer, wo not only resurrected the causalties of this attack, but also every other corpse of every single siege or ambush lying around. Suddenly, my fortress faced 250 enemies at once. Some lucky minutes later, not only one, but three necromancers were captured by my cage traps.

I still have a big problem. I'm running out of arrows, and ressources to craft new ones. I only get a bunch of turkey poults every year, and my wood logs are depleted. Due to a lack of useful metal ores, I couldn't establish a squad of melee soldiers right now. Maybe I can sit out the siege, and wait for the human or dwarfen caravan to kill some undead. Until then, I may at least dig for a magma pool or somthing. Maybe I find some useful metal ores too.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25029 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:21 am »

A group of leprechauns seeking the shiney crap in my storage spaces have met Col. Zwei, the 2 hander wielding nut job militia commander who ran down and savaly decapitated each and every one. smelting ops are in declin, simply because I used up all the ore i had from the mini mountain I terraformed into nothingness. She also brought down a wild spiritwebber, reducing it to a pool of ectoplasm and glass. She wound up with some broken teeth afterwards though.

Migrants arrived following the slaughter, and as I'm up in the mountains I can't gather any brewables and these new arrivals will severaly impact my small booze supply. Among them are four hammerdorfs, a child, and three speardorfs.

A sweat man decided to pick a fight with a ward for no discernable reason, damaging it's staff and sigil. Col. Zwei promptly bisected it.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25030 on: August 20, 2012, 08:13:06 am »

Well, some random kid thought he had a great idea for an artifact. He claimed a craftdwarf shop, and started gathering materials. I was a bit too busy micromanaging other things to watch him... and I almost dumped him into the caverns when I saw this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But then I saw the description, and what it was made of:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep. Electrum, goblin bone, elf bone, giant cave spider silk cloth, obsidian... haven't seen such a dwarfy thing in ages. I think I'll give this kid one of the rooms reserved for the legends of the fort.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25031 on: August 20, 2012, 08:23:13 am »

After 3 abandoned forts, one lost to a giant with a alpaca cloth shirt, one to a goblin siege, I have successfully defended against a goblin ambush. 40 wrestlers vs 6 fully armed goblins. Two were killed, the rest fled. The hero of the battle was my legendary mason who killed one master sword goblin by punching him for six pages of combat reports. Unfortunately I lost 6 dwarves who were unaible to mobilise in time.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25032 on: August 20, 2012, 09:37:28 am »

Another fort, another siege. Another dorf beeing a true hero. Let's call him Urist McBoromir. A legendary Axedwarf, who helped 15 dorfs to get inside the fortress, while ripping off an entire army of goblins alone, before he fell to the lone survivor of the attack, a goblin archer, who at the end was killed by the hero's loyal dog. The dog himself died due to several severe wounds.

Both bodies and the armor an weapons were give to the fires of the earth, and a memorial made of pure gold was dedicated to both of them. The dog's progeny will become war dogs, not a single puppy will be eaten.

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25033 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:00 am »

Not much. I'm in the middle of trying to put together a half decent security system. This fort is relatively new, because I, being slow, only updated last week and lost my good fort with the update. All my forts since then have sucked colossally, but I'm determined to make this one a good 'un.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25034 on: August 20, 2012, 10:41:38 am »

Well, just started up fort mode again, Uzolkulin is still locked in what appear to be its death throes.
In another last-ditch attempt to salvage something, I assigned a small group of migrants to live in the seperate guard-tower/prison building I constructed ages ago, as the rest of the settlement crumbles.

For added Fun I sent my last remaining soldier to deal with some buggy 'traders' who were clogging up my migrant stream, and the now-traitorous dwarf is stalking through the corpse-strewn fields, swiftly dismembering any loyalist scum she comes across. :o Goodness. She has one of the only decent weapons, too; a steel axe. I almost expected the melancholy dwarf with a finely-crafted steel spear to give her trouble, but no, he was too depressed and welcomed his gory death.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 1667 1668 [1669] 1670 1671 ... 3839