Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965619 times)

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25050 on: August 21, 2012, 12:41:50 pm »

You'll accomplish that whether you want to or not.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25051 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »

A soldier rallied to a position near an Invader, who was on the ground, crippled.

The crippled invader clips the soldier in the toe.

The soldier promptly passes out and is dispatched.

The crippled invader is quickly taken care of by the rest of the army.

I facepalmed, SO HARD, at the willpower and dedication the guy had.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25052 on: August 21, 2012, 04:16:55 pm »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 17th Granite, yr.451
When the creepy murky mosquito flew off, Minami and Nanaka ran outside to grab some supplies. They could only get two barrels of wine before returning and locking the door again. On a somber note, Yume found a large cavern, but it seems more barren of life than the surface. Rumors have mentioned that when a cavern is bone-dry, then it is bone-dead... We'll need to find a new pasture for our buns.

Spoiler: Hope theyre not hungry (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cavern Graveyard (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:33:50 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25053 on: August 21, 2012, 04:31:56 pm »

One of my (mildly valuable) farmers was found drained of blood in his room by his wife today. This is going to be Fun.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25054 on: August 21, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »

My legendary+5 glassmaker just withdrew from society and claimed a glassmaker's furnace. Dwarf Therapist reckons her current experience in glassmaking is 31456 XP. Sigh.

Odd: the furnace she claimed is not the magma-powered one she usually uses, but one of the five unpowered ones I only use for sand collection orders.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25055 on: August 21, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »

Call me crazy..... but I think my fort is almost out of stone.

A lot of construction + Not enough digging = lack of stone.

I have begun mining in the hematite layer to compensate for this.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25056 on: August 21, 2012, 07:12:55 pm »

Looking at my dwarves' recent cuisine, since I moved the fat storage over to the soapmaking department, far from the actual food prep kitchen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm impressed with the cooks, for once. Not EVERYTHING they made is completely ridiculous and practically inedible.

My broker also successfully traded with the human caravan. I'm glad I repalced the expedition leader with this guy; he's the first one to actually TRADE for something at a reasonable price.

Militarily, the fortress is fairly secure. Nothing interesting has happened.

One of the idiot miners just chose to stand on top of the tile she was channeling out, when there was a staircase right next to her with safer access.
She plumbetted to her death amongst a heap of rotten animals' body parts, among other things. A grand 27 z-level fall onto the floor of the third cavern.
Now her body is splattered all over the place.

I hope she wasn't married...
Unfortunately, she was married. Fortunately, her husband never arrived and they had no children. Her only other relatives in the fortress were her cousin and uncle, who don't seem to give a damn.

Some hunters are killing dralthas in the caverns. One of them a gremlin child. So, what do they do when their prey passes out from pain? Stand right on top of it and shoot straight down. Does that work? No, it wakes up and starts crawling away, before bleeding to death, or whatever.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:16:20 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25057 on: August 21, 2012, 11:53:32 pm »

I have 10 Legendary Miners, all with Mining enabled, and about 25 picks. Only 4 of them are willing to dig. Sigh.

My duke & his wife have been married for nearly 2 years, and yet they remain childless. Sigh.

I have 86 dwarves in a 13-year-old fort, but I don't think anyone's had a mood in the past 4 years or so. Sigh.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25058 on: August 22, 2012, 12:19:22 am »

I've come to realize that no one wants to butcher the snakes that my militia kills. Am I doing something wrong or is it just the simple fact that my axedwarves mash the snakes too much?
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25059 on: August 22, 2012, 12:24:57 am »

A kobold thief decided that the best course of action would be to approach my fort between the river and the south wall. There's a wall that blocks the way, but there's access via an underground passage full of cage traps. The real security comes from the two axedwarves and four marksdwarves stationed there at all times.

They shot her six times. The first shot to the hand disarmed her. Four more shots were to the upper or lower torso, piercing pancreas, lungs, and guts. An artery was severed. Each of the torso shots sent her skidding backwards. The last one knocked her back down into the passage, and straight into a cage trap. Amazingly, she was still alive. They dragged her back to the pitting ground to await her fate.

I couldn't do it. I set up the cage in the forest and let her go. She blinked for a moment, then ran away.

Corai seal of approval.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25060 on: August 22, 2012, 12:26:22 am »

trying to figure out a good embark in plans for a human themed mostly normal succession..... Can't decide on the biome, so where better to ask here since these humans will probably die horribly as an dwarf would.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #25061 on: August 22, 2012, 12:29:07 am »

Humans, both in real life and DF, tend to group near rivers on flat lands. Grasslands are a bit boring at times, so what about a savage swamp? Alligators and possibly aquifers add some challenges there.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25062 on: August 22, 2012, 12:52:02 am »

Something's wrong with my mod; my egg-laying monotreme monster things are squirting MILK into their nest boxes. Not eggs. Then they sit in it until they get dragged away to be milked... This was entirely unexpected, and I probably should have spotted it sooner.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25063 on: August 22, 2012, 10:36:23 am »

I have decided to test the survivabilty for my planned game, I have founded the human settlement of Hammerwall (I gotta say, the RNG lucked out on that one) on a mostly flat, temperate, savage good swamp with no river in the shadow of a cave.

We've brought s- Fuck. No picks. No anything for mineral hunting or quarrying. Or wood chopping. FUCK. Oh well. I brought stone (for furnaces) and wood, so I can manage by making some tools, though my two hammermen (my modded fighting picks are hammer skill weapons) may have to go without proper body armor. Thought I was forgetting something. Didn't really intend for this but other preparations are working in my favor at least. Now so long as alligators arent' nearby we can see if humans can survive without a ready supply of water in a fetid little swamp filled with mosquitos and giant wrens with the threat of cavern beasties attacking them out of nowehere.

EDIT: Seems there was also a lair nearby, containing a fairly busy GCS named Konab Gogustolu. Since it also got a last name, it must've killed at least two people and must've been a thorn in a goblin nation's side. It's been sealed in it's hole until traps may be rigged up  to capture the fell beast. Same goes for a giant bat, sealed in the main cave until traps can be rigged up to deal with it.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25064 on: August 22, 2012, 01:44:16 pm »

Work has begun on a magma pump stack, reservoirs for water and magma, and piping systems to dump it into the arena, in an effort to make it easily cleanable. Figure obsidianizing everything, or burning it in magma should do the trick.
Pages: 1 ... 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 ... 3838