Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1660 1661 [1662] 1663 1664 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123578 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24915 on: August 16, 2012, 01:26:09 pm »

I breached a few caverns, and my military force has become quite useful. Reahers are my current largest source of food, and i've given up on alcohol. We will use water from here on out. Don't like it? too bad. For tha tmatter, no we're not burying the two dead dwarves either. Why? because we have more important things.

Like a beautiful healthy blue strand of minor spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24916 on: August 16, 2012, 02:03:22 pm »

Welp, it appears that the elves are incapable of reaching my fort. That or my fort is so far out in the middle of fudging nowhere that the elven caravan will be a once-every-two-to-three-years type of thing.

I just realized..... I forgot to check what civs were nearby on the embark screen. Oh dear, I really want goblin sieges now that I actually have access to iron. D:

Edit: Just opened the water flow in the aqueduct system. Because my brewers are refusing to brew some idioit dorfs are running through the arilock system INTO the water to get a drink. Or get a stone, seeing how it's a craft dorf.

Dorfen stupidity never ceases to amaze.

EDIT: Correction, the craft dorf IS SLEEPING at the top of the aqueducts. Surprisingly the water is draining fast enough that s/he is ALIVE.

What on Earth is going on here.

UPDATE: Cistern is to small, well is over flowing. BUT not all is lost. You see there is a flood gate I installed to so seal off the water source in case of contamination, but, it seems If I pull it, the fort will be saved. This is because, it ,well, seals off the water source.

Alright, floodgate pulled, fort is save. That was too close, in fact, I was about to rage abandon when I realized I had installed the flood gate.

Edit: The idiot craftdorf made it out of the aqueduct alive, and thirsty dorfs are drinking from the puddle in the hospital the occurred from the well incident.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:25:47 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24917 on: August 16, 2012, 04:05:59 pm »

I started in a new location after having seen captnduck show off some evil stuff in Snarlingurn. I was lulled into a false sense of security by how his evil dusts would dissipate upon leaving the evil biome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh, so that's what that particular dust does.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24918 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:39 pm »

Just repelled an ambush with 2 casualties only, seeing the last ambush one goblin took out 30 of my guys, going down to 2 for dealing with ~15 is a pretty good improvement.

My animal trainer has an "army" of 30 emu chicks which follow him everywhere, so for lawlz i put him in my army, need to see if the chicks attacked during the ambush, that would be hilarious. A few took some hits which "may" have saved a dwarf, who knows, lost a few chicks but will be quickly replenished.

Currently breeding as many animals that lay eggs as possible, hence the emu army. Need to grab some giant cave swallows though, seen a few in the caverns but not yet ventured into the depths.

To be fair on the ambush, the only goblins which weren't encased by traps were 3 bowmen, and they took out 2 dwarves cos my xbow dwarfs decided to sit on top of a wall and shoot from 3 miles away and didn't do too well (duh).
Seems the retard group which was trying to join in the fight (whom i turned into a squad, just for lolz, none of which are any good at fighting whatsoever) actually did a decent amount of work in the fight, considering their retardedness.

Still, not bad, got some more stupid goblins to train marksdwarves on, seeing they can't shoot a thing even whilst being pretty skilled.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24919 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:44 pm »

I just had to scum 2 embarks to undead falcons, but I finally got my RabbitHut started in a nice Terrifying mountain desert.
Zombies and Dwarf Blood rain will make it an overseer's paradise.

I've got the dwarves forbidden inside, until the coast is clear to harvest the wagon.

I was lulled into a false sense of security by how his evil dusts would dissipate upon leaving the evil biome.

Maybe your dwarves will engrave:
This is a picture of a wagon and thralls. The wagon is surrounded by the thralls. The artwork relates to the first terrrible thing to happen in snarlingurn during the first month of its founding.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24920 on: August 16, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »

I just accidentally flooded my fort because it'd been a while since I last played and forgot about closing off the very top part of a pump stack but luckily no permanent damage will come from this. I turned off the power and will wait for things to dry then punch a few holes for drainage purposes. Still kind of embarrassing considering how long I've been playing lol

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24921 on: August 16, 2012, 07:32:21 pm »

Channeled all the way down to caverns for a well to keep my dorfs from starving.

Protip: if water freezes, ANY water subjected to light freezes, keep your wells indoors.

How I know? This is the buttom of my well, which was in the open.

(click to enlarge)

Just that tiny little bit.. that's ice.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:33:55 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24922 on: August 16, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »

Channeled all the way down to caverns for a well to keep my dorfs from starving.

Protip: if water freezes, ANY water subjected to light freezes, keep your wells indoors.

How I know? This is the buttom of my well, which was in the open.

(click to enlarge)

666b6.png

Knowing dwarf fortress, this seems fitting to point out.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Raggsockan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24923 on: August 16, 2012, 08:15:26 pm »

Trying to stop my dwarfs from bungejumping off my waterfall for water to few seeds to brew to few plants to make a living, thank god the endless waves of immigrants ignore that i have over 20 missing dwarfs! ^^  :)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24924 on: August 16, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »

I just dug a magma forge out, designated a sacrifice to die to the lava flow and designated a carve fortification in smoothed obsidian.  What happened next was perplexing.  He was washed away from the stairs by the pressure of the magma, all the way to the end of my channel.  I expected him to just be annihilated by the magma, but he sat there pinned against the wall dying of thirst and not the molten rock.  I finally decided to bring one of the other miners down to dig a channel addon and let him get out, which he did.  But not before he got possessed and has now taken over a Craftsdwarf's Workshop and is makign something mysterious.  Anyone run into this before? lol. 

He's not wearing anything other than normal cloth, and he suffered no injuries at all from what I can tell.

Raggsockan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24925 on: August 16, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »

I had a dwarf who was stuck in a 7/7 water not drowing just sitting there same thing happened but with water, He died while throwing a tantrum becouse of no food XD

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24926 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:34 pm »

I just dug a magma forge out, designated a sacrifice to die to the lava flow and designated a carve fortification in smoothed obsidian.  What happened next was perplexing.  He was washed away from the stairs by the pressure of the magma, all the way to the end of my channel.  I expected him to just be annihilated by the magma, but he sat there pinned against the wall dying of thirst and not the molten rock.  I finally decided to bring one of the other miners down to dig a channel addon and let him get out, which he did.  But not before he got possessed and has now taken over a Craftsdwarf's Workshop and is makign something mysterious.  Anyone run into this before? lol. 

He's not wearing anything other than normal cloth, and he suffered no injuries at all from what I can tell.
Yeah, this has happened before - it's because magma doesn't actually destroy tissue, but merely melts the fat off dwarves and causes them to bleed a lot. They usually die from bleeding rather than being on fire.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #24927 on: August 16, 2012, 10:54:37 pm »

Animal population was getting seriously out of hand. So i embarked on a mass butchering campaign.

I now have 5392 meat for a population of 149.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24928 on: August 16, 2012, 11:06:48 pm »

Nice to know I have company. I have almost nothing BUT meat.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24929 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:00 pm »

Nice to know I have company. I have almost nothing BUT meat.

Pigs: Who knew not being grazers was so fucking awesome?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1660 1661 [1662] 1663 1664 ... 3842