Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1662 1663 [1664] 1665 1666 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123833 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24945 on: August 17, 2012, 10:06:50 am »

Weird... I have 3 friendly dwarves labeled "trader" on my map. I have no idea why.

Also have a cave dragon, which I'm debating whether to kill him, or divert dwarves to make a cage trap for him. Right now it's just sitting in the maze of the caverns. Agh! nevermind, its' chasing a dwarf up the stairs. Time to send out the militia to see what I can do about it. Here, reporting live! Note... this dragon is fast!

Battle Dramatization!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:
I'm so... afraid?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:16:22 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #24946 on: August 17, 2012, 10:13:24 am »

I now have 5392 meat for a population of 149.
Nice to know I have company. I have almost nothing BUT meat.

Pigs: Who knew not being grazers was so fucking awesome?

Yes! A pair of pigs will probably be part of all my future embarks.

They're awesome. Can just let them run the fort until they're ready to be bacon.

They make decent pets too, and being bigger than dogs and hoofed they have half a shot at defending themselves. :D

...I might mod my raws to make them war trainable for more awesome.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24947 on: August 17, 2012, 10:22:07 am »

a siege went right trogh my fort... and then back out only casualty was a kitten ON BOTH SIDES. NONE OF THEM DIED. we just coach potatoed a siege to boredom.....
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24948 on: August 17, 2012, 10:57:24 am »

13 Malachite, 258, Mid-Summer
Emergency Field Report

The overseer has gone mad.  He let them in.  Oh dear Armok, why did he let them in?  He has doomed us all. 

8 long years we have been besieged by zombies.  When we reached 400 zombies on the surface, scratching at the doors, at the ground, trying to get in, it was decided that something had to be done.  So, we had started to let them enter the fortress in small groups of five to ten.  These groups were easily dispatched and sent to the magma bio-hazard disposal unit.  Sometimes with especially large corpses, the magma would mist up, and the unfortunate who had just dumped the body into the unit would be burnt to a cinder.  But, for the most part, it was working.  We had reduced the 400 walking corpses on the surface to a mere 300.  We even had a booming steel industry.  Every dwarf was wearing at least steel boots and leggings, and every dwarf had a copper shield on them at all times.  We thought we were well on the way to overcoming the zombie menace. 

But then, the goblins came.  And the thieves.  And the snatchers.  And even some stupid migrants arrived, despite the danger.  The zombies easily dispatched all of them and converrted the bodies to their own kind.  Before we knew it, the zombie army was back to 400 strong.  The overseer just snapped.  Started muttering about FPS or some such nonsense.  He declared that we would overcome them or they would overcome us, and then he let the zombies in.  We tried to stop him, but it was too late.  The undead trolls quickly demolished all of our doors and hatches, and the zombies came pouring in.  Vucar killed over 50 and Minkot killed over a hundred of them.  But they are just too many, and they just won't stay dead.  In the end, even Minkot was cut down.  We started as a thriving fortress of 70 souls.  Now there are 40 of us left including 9 children -- the poor children.  We did manage to destroy over half of the zombies, and even more of their bodies lay inanimately on the ground.  But the haulers can no longer keep up with the steady stream of bodies.  They shudder to life before we can get them into the bio-hazard furnace.  I fear this is the end.  We will continue our struggle to the last dwarf, but only a fool or a child would believe that we can overcome them. 

If you do not hear from us, do not send anyone to investigate.  Do not send a military expedition.  We will be dead, and this cursed volcano will use our bodies to attack anyone who comes near.  Chambergate is no more. 

Likot Mingkillorbam
Acting Mayor
Town Mafolinod, Chambergate

(message arrived at the mountainhome via cave swallow.)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24949 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:07 am »

Gah, Orc sieges(Genesis Mod) at the start of the second Spring. I had just gotten my first decent migrant wave, too. Sealed off the fort, got some steel halberds and arrows made quick, but it was still not a pleasant fight(still won) when I opened it up a few months later.

Second siege almost immediately after that, fought off with bowdwarves.

And then, a third siege larger than the previous two combined. C'mon guys, that's not funny anymore!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24950 on: August 17, 2012, 01:22:08 pm »

RabbitHut's two naked axedwarves just "killed" some buffalo skin and buffalo hair.

They only got bruises from the fight, and I got ~3 leather and ~5 threads from one buffalo.
It's proof that edged weapons are best for zombiomes.

One axedwarf went from Adequate to Skilled simply by "sparring" with the buffalo head skin. Sweet.

EDIT: That Skilled naked Axedwarf just split a troll's head in two.
Gotta dump that troll body and that immigrant body into a containment chamber fast.

DOUBLE-EDIT: Zombiegeddon
That immigrant corpse rose up and brained a miner before my axes got there.
Now that Skilled axedwarf has a broken spine...

!! Abandon Ship !! Hide while you still can !!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:22:00 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24951 on: August 17, 2012, 05:45:27 pm »

I was just trading with some elves. They weren't happy with the amount of profit they were getting, so they requested a bone bracelet and wool quiver that happened to be in some of the bins that the dwarves carried over.

I haven't looked at the raws, but it was a bit surprising.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24952 on: August 17, 2012, 05:50:14 pm »

I was just trading with some elves. They weren't happy with the amount of profit they were getting, so they requested a bone bracelet and wool quiver that happened to be in some of the bins that the dwarves carried over.

I haven't looked at the raws, but it was a bit surprising.
Elves just don't accept wood, they accept everything BUT wood or things that were made with wood. (Like crystal and clear glass.)
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24953 on: August 17, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »

The fact they dislike wood can be used. I wanted them to piss off after I was done trading with them so i tried selling them a wooden barrel of elkbird eggs. They pissed right the fuck off.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24954 on: August 17, 2012, 06:33:03 pm »

I just had a human diplomat arrive.
Boring?
It's a deity.
"A gigantic gopher twisted into humanoid form with external ribs. It has a bloated body. It's eyes glow orange. It's pine green hair is patchy.  Beware it's deadly blood!

She is fat."

I've got a green fat bloated giant gopher God with deadly blood, who is negotiating on behalf of the humans.

Also my I choose my baroness to be a legendary miner who was one of my original seven, because she has done so much and I have plenty of replacement miners. But she has kept digging! Hasn't set a mandate, only banned the export of bolts (which I prefer to keep hold of) and is just plain awesome!
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24955 on: August 17, 2012, 07:53:51 pm »

Not a god, just a demon fooling them.

Also, malimbar? its a bug. Use DFHack to fix.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24956 on: August 17, 2012, 08:00:47 pm »

Culling my massive herds of sheep and water buffalo. And still haven't made a real dent. One of my personal dorf's bodyguards smashed the elven diplomat hard enough to impale him on a statue, and I'm preparing to invade hell with only soldiers after I gun down the intial clown car rush to see if my plans will work for a succession game I'm running.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24957 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:29 pm »

Embarked another RabbitHut to a wonderful Mountain/Bog location.

Typical zombiome -> everything is fine until it started raining acrid ooze.
Some people lay unconscious for a while, but then this happens.
(Notice that the dwarf thrall is still pen/pasture large animal the pig thrall)

My rain also enthralls zombifies people !!
I was so impressed that I saved the seed info if you so desire.

Now this is where I want my RabbitHut to be. Next
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:25:11 pm by ZzarkLinux »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24958 on: August 18, 2012, 01:05:44 am »

Not a god, just a demon fooling them.

Also, malimbar? its a bug. Use DFHack to fix.

Thanks! Actually, I didn't realize this worked so easily on Linux, so I never got it before. Now though... after playing with stonesense and DFHack for a bit... I'm making a new world and redoign this. Clothing and FPS management! yay!

Learned enough this time around though I'm also changing tactics. Screw bringing food, we're drinking water and hunting with military from here on out.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24959 on: August 18, 2012, 01:10:58 am »

There's FB blood splattered all over the hallway in front of my mayor's office now, said FB killed a bunch of dogs and pets, hospitalized multiple dwarves, and my champion... Was utterly unaffected by the dust that put 7 dwarves in the hospital.
Pages: 1 ... 1662 1663 [1664] 1665 1666 ... 3842