Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1644 1645 [1646] 1647 1648 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122262 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24675 on: August 09, 2012, 02:39:58 am »

I'm culling the weak from my animal herds.

I've got a really aggressive program going with the dogs breeding for Huge, Fat, Muscular.

The Giant Leapards i'm only taking out the very weakest at present, because they are my main warbeasts. I can't have both them AND the dogs heavily culled at the same time...I had to kill at least 3/4 of the dogs to get it down to a pool that had at least two positive traits each.

I'm also breeding wolves, giant ravens and giant dingos to be used as guard animals in high risk areas where I don't want to chain a bred and trained warbeast.

...I wish the elves would bring me some Giant Lions....or a new Giant Desert Scoprion, my last one died after helping defeat about four forgotten beasts.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24676 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:19 am »

We have drink. A sustained supply of brewers and drink. Why are people suddenly dying of thirst? Worse, my military is dying of thirst. Not good.
Getting a hang of the wheelbarrows and even set up a minecart track. Wohoo!
I'm surprised at the almost total lack of !Fun! The Magma tube in the deeper caverns is setting passing hunters on fire, once in a while a bit of giant wildlife will damage someone, Snatchers and thieves, but generally we're fine. Embarked next to a terrifying Biome - haven't seen that Ash cloud in about a year. Probably for the best - my military is decked out in random scrap for the most part; bones, whatever I can get from merchants and our copper weapons/armour industry. Copper is all I have found on the map unfortunately. I have marble for flux but no Iron. Blargh.

Oh well, good preparation time.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24677 on: August 09, 2012, 08:43:13 am »

Just executed an olm-woman necromancer.

I thought: let's carry the cage down into the deepest marble mines just above semi-molten rock, where there will be no nearby corpses for her to animate. She animated her own lower right arm. Twice. But she couldn't reanimate her own head.

Aha! So that's where the book was, that appeared on my artifact list. Presumably being an artifact prevented it being dumped with the rest of her belongings. 'Common Sense Olm Woman'. All about herself.

UristMcLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24678 on: August 09, 2012, 08:57:41 am »

I'm on a metal-less embark so I never brought an anvil. An immigrant armoursmith just mooded, so I walled her in just to make sure she doesn't kill half the fort once she throws the inevitable hissy fit.

Ten seconds after walling her in, I realised she's married to the mason that immured her. This shall prove to be interesting.  :o

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24679 on: August 09, 2012, 02:53:53 pm »

tantrum spiral still falling!
aside from that prosably fatal annoyance
gold bricks for covering a pyramid, said pyramid had lots of undead walledin with traps. the traps are mangled by now. so either the undead broke them or they wear out over time.
If the current fort falls will the undead escape or do you think they will stay contained.?
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24680 on: August 09, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »

Started on an evil region, successfully cordoned off the embark wagon. No undead wildlife sightings yet. Aquifer breach successful, though it cost me a miner. Farms are taking up nicely, now to carve some room for workshops and stockpiles.
Outside, it's raining stinking muck that makes people nauseated but seems otherwise harmless. Also, some migrants seem to have decided to settle in Battlestandard. I pity the fools...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24681 on: August 09, 2012, 04:59:38 pm »

Started on an evil region, successfully cordoned off the embark wagon. No undead wildlife sightings yet. Aquifer breach successful, though it cost me a miner. Farms are taking up nicely, now to carve some room for workshops and stockpiles.
Outside, it's raining stinking muck that makes people nauseated but seems otherwise harmless. Also, some migrants seem to have decided to settle in Battlestandard. I pity the fools...
If you haven't seen any undead but have seen living animals you don't have undead.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #24682 on: August 09, 2012, 05:15:01 pm »

My Yak herd stomped all over a goblin ambush.
I LOST THE GAME

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24683 on: August 09, 2012, 05:29:52 pm »

Made a new fort, looking forward to Migrants to bolster military and do other jobs so I can head to the caverns, after all, I only have 17 Urists...

26 Migrants.

TWENTY-SIX.

I went from 17 to 43.

AND NONE OF THEM HAVE MILITARY SKILLS OR USEFUL SKILLS IN GENERAL. THERE'S EVEN PEASANTS ASDFG.

In other news, my first drowning chamber is almost ready:

I have a main path into my fort, and a drawbridge. Then a side path with another bridge, which leads into a nice big area next to a river, and can be sealed using the bridge and floodgates. Anyone who slips through before the floodgate closes should be able to be dealt with by traps and/or my Military dorfs.

I managed to make it without flooding my fort or killing any miners!

I just need to make a draining system which also keeps all the goblinite.

Also, my military dorf force of currently 2 [Not sorted out migrants or got metal industry yet] killed a Kobloid theif. The result got one of my dorfs a massive scar on his right hand.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24684 on: August 09, 2012, 05:36:02 pm »

If you haven't seen any undead but have seen living animals you don't have undead.
No zombie apocalypse then.
Oh well, those things are murder on FPS anyway, plus a general pain in the backside...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24685 on: August 09, 2012, 06:30:38 pm »

No zombie apocalypse then.
Oh well, those things are murder on FPS anyway, plus a general pain in the backside...
Take it from me, it's possible to have undead and normal wildlife both appear... Especially if there's a river running through.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24686 on: August 09, 2012, 06:43:23 pm »

Over in Horrorweathered, the savage scorching rocky wasteland fortress of 15 dwarves and 30 cage traps, I've captured a wild troll. Advice on what to do with it?
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24687 on: August 09, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »

Over in Horrorweathered, the savage scorching rocky wasteland fortress of 15 dwarves and 30 cage traps, I've captured a wild troll. Advice on what to do with it?

Train it for war.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24688 on: August 09, 2012, 06:44:57 pm »

Train it for war.

Throw it in a pit and use it for target practice.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24689 on: August 09, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »

Doublepost. Ignore. Fnord.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:01:39 pm by Mura »
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1644 1645 [1646] 1647 1648 ... 3842