Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1642 1643 [1644] 1645 1646 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121943 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24645 on: August 07, 2012, 05:11:36 pm »

Even more dwarven. Cause that sounds even more complicated cause it involves water or mined out ice.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24646 on: August 07, 2012, 05:16:23 pm »

Just got a barony, never had one before so why not (apart from i get a useless noble, ah well, one less hauler isn't a huge loss!).

Also, my miner who has been unconcious for about 2 years has awoken, he still has an injured leg but he's wandering, any suggestions on changing a leg from "red" to a less severe colour?

Wolverine wandered into my area and my archers decided to pincushion it for no apparent reason, so i thought they should deal with the army of keas wandering around too, gave em some good practice.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24647 on: August 07, 2012, 05:19:17 pm »

I've finally completed my first pump stack. It took over 200 logs, 40 gear assemblies, 50 galena blocks, and 200 iron bars to make.

I love the way you've built a working magma pump stack out of *wood*

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #24648 on: August 07, 2012, 05:48:38 pm »

No, no, the logs were for the 40 windmills. A few of my injured soldiers had to go without crutches or hospital beds for a year, but then who needs functioning soldiers when you have ‼magma‼?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #24649 on: August 07, 2012, 05:51:20 pm »

An enormous quadruped made of zircon with poisoned gas. I am soooooo fucked. Ah well, no more GCS silk for me, lock the drawbridges!

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #24650 on: August 08, 2012, 12:21:18 am »

I've discovered something truly wretched and terrifying in the ocean beside Bookwild.  Something that will make you flee in fear at the mere mention of the word

Spoiler:  ANCHOVIES! (click to show/hide)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24651 on: August 08, 2012, 01:00:11 am »

Started my semi-megaproject yesterday by digging a 1x1 hole straight from the surface into the magma sea (plus a staircase for the miners). Unfortunately, the idiots started working on it from multiple levels at once, which resulted in
The Rough red spinel hits Urist McLegendaryMiner in the throat, bruising it! x100
Urist McLegendaryMiner was killed by a falling object. x10

Oopsies...  :-[

A war dog hanging out at the dig also bought the farm when someone decided to drop their xcave spider silk shoex on it at terminal velocity.
Unfortunately, losing the legendaries in all that silliness has slowed my mining operations to a crawl, as the newly appointed unskilled "miners" are trying to get their pick on.

Oh well, eggs and omelettes and all that... the Big Shaft o' Dumping is almost done now. At the same time, work is also progressing on my execution tower with a twist: the execution pit opening is directly above the dump chute, so the captives will plunge a dizzying 170 z-levels straight into the magma sea. I expect they will be screaming and flailing helplessly for quite a while. Fun times. :3

Also, a swamp titan that turned out to be some kind of winged worm made of steam made a (very brief) appearance. I hope the next one will be a little less anticlimactic.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:28:15 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24652 on: August 08, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »

One pony is named Creamspew.
My mind. It's filthy in there.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24653 on: August 08, 2012, 12:49:48 pm »

Just lost my current fort due to learning why embarking near a Tower is an idea that will lead to plenty of !!FUN!!.

I put my fledgeling military together [This was only halfway through the 2nd year], and charged right at one of the necromancers.

There is one less Necromancer in this world. Which I shall be using for my next fort because it's that awesome. My fort then sucummed to the other Necro and the undead horde, since the miltary rush at the Necro was a suicide rush.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24654 on: August 08, 2012, 01:10:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The hamsters doth arrived to eat our fallen

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24655 on: August 08, 2012, 05:03:05 pm »

Cryptdagger just finished up another goblin siege.  A sense of doom accompanied this attack. 

A kobold thief was discovered at the postern gate and the resident axe lord chased it out into the eastern part of the embark.  At this point the human caravan arrived.  (And I immediately thought "Oh crap - the goblins are going to appear and this solo dwarf is going to kamikaze attack a full goblin squad.  So may it be written.  So may it be done.)

Immediately afterwards - A vile force of darkness has arrived.

Four squads of mounted goblins and three squads of support monsters (trolls, giant moles, and giant olms). 

The lone axe lord encased in steel promptly charges into a squad of lashers and a squad of trolls.  Thirteen pages of combat log later the axe lord is dead, an elk bird has lost a foot, and the goblins have two Master Lashers in their force.  (The entire first seven pages is the dwarf dodging attacks, blocking attacks, and getting bowled over by attacking mounts - and the one counterstrike on the Elk Bird.  Eventually a lucky shot gets the hand holding the battle axe.  Followed quickly by a second getting the shield arm.  Then it is six more pages of lashers and mounts slowly tearing the dwarf to bits despite the steel armor until a flail shot to the head finishes it.

The siege then proceeds to get hung up in the access tunnels and mangled by weapon traps, a spike pit, and a squad of marksdwarves behind fortifications.  And the human diplomat decided to walk out of the tunnel right into the middle of the goblin attack and get killed.

At this point military preparedness is going to get greater emphasis.  Training schedules will be increased, and more citizens added to the militia squads.  The fortress is pretty stable, so it should be able to concentrate on producing better troops for the kingdom.

And in other tunnels an experiment with minecarts produced the first successful "shotgun" launch of a load of stone blocks...

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24656 on: August 08, 2012, 06:06:14 pm »

FISHES! FISHES!
FISHES EVERYWHERE! D:

Emergency halting ALL fishing activity.

My sig, that is all.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24657 on: August 08, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »

Oh how I love pony mods.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

poothoottoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24658 on: August 08, 2012, 07:42:12 pm »

Well I started a fort in a haunted biome just to see how I might fare. (I did this once before and a Deer corpse killed my 3 military dwarves I brought along.) I wasn't expecting to last any long amount of time but somehow I got lucky and got all my crap inside before walling it off. The worst injury? A scratch on one of my farmers.

That was spring, next summer rolled around and we got migrants. For some reason the raven corpses left them alone while we dug under the river to let them into the fort. They rushed inside but only after the master fisherdwarf that had come with them had fished a huge number of mussels out of the river along with other random fish. I had thought nothing of it at the time but boy I should have been worried.

It is now Autumn and we are holed up from a siege. The besiegers are an army of mussel corpses who have reanimated and are sitting across the river waiting for migrants to eat or for my dwarves to unwall the entrance to run for more wood. That is what's happening in my fort.
Frankly Scarlet I don't give a yam.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24659 on: August 08, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »

At the same time, work is also progressing on my execution tower with a twist: the execution pit opening is directly above the dump chute, so the captives will plunge a dizzying 170 z-levels straight into the magma sea. I expect they will be screaming and flailing helplessly for quite a while. Fun times. :3
It's alive! *mwahahahahaa!* The first prisoner already made some ripples in lava. I also tossed in a tame hedgehog and a pair of puppies because This Is Dwarf Fortress!
The lava-execution chute also doubles as a multiple level spanning garbage dump for all the worthless (large troll fur looincloth)s and crap.
Also, a swamp titan that turned out to be some kind of winged worm made of steam made a (very brief) appearance. I hope the next one will be a little less anticlimactic.
Welp, got a couple more titans that put up much more of a fight, biting heads off civilians left and right. Now that's more like it!
Also, five (5) goblin ambushes all at the same time! The caravan guards and yaks polished off most of them though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:57:55 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 1642 1643 [1644] 1645 1646 ... 3842