Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1631 1632 [1633] 1634 1635 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121088 times)

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24480 on: July 29, 2012, 09:39:33 pm »

So I had my first vampire... It took a while, but I finally caught him in the act, draining yet another young mother and leaving her baby to die of dehydration. Not only did he take out one of my miners, he turned out to be one of my miners, so I'm down two of 'em.

I promptly lock the door after the baby escapes, set up a burrow to hopefully keep the miner in one place, and then let someone deconstruct the door and brick up the room.

And wouldn't you know it? Just as the last block is set - sealing up the room forever - one of my Spinners decides to play Indiana Jones, diving into the room to collect the corpse of the dead miner. He is now sealed up with the vampire, as I have no plans to unbrick the wall to release them both.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24481 on: July 29, 2012, 10:04:46 pm »

Cerol lenslens sounds like a amalgamation of my mayor and my fort. Cerol Helmspell, Mayor of Lensden. Note, Burrows are effective at restricting a vampire. They don't even feed unless a dwarf sleeps in a bed in the burrow. Seriously, I had one that was completely open to the fort, but he never left.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24482 on: July 29, 2012, 10:50:57 pm »

Cerol lenslens sounds like a amalgamation of my mayor and my fort. Cerol Helmspell, Mayor of Lensden. Note, Burrows are effective at restricting a vampire. They don't even feed unless a dwarf sleeps in a bed in the burrow. Seriously, I had one that was completely open to the fort, but he never left.

You have saved a dwarf's life this day!

Of course, in the meantime I got migrants, and shortly thereafter my legendary bone carver was found drained of blood. Vampire number 2 is on the loose, but I think I have a suspect this time...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: And the vampire has indirectly claimed another life, as the spouse of the drained miner went berserk in the middle of the statue garden and was taken down by armed partygoers and an angry turkey.

Edit2: Aaaand the new vampire just got elected mayor. Dammit, dorfs! Is your self-destructive streak really that bad?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:08:05 am by Cerol Lenslens »
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24483 on: July 29, 2012, 10:54:15 pm »

Okay. I've finally become a Countdom, and I'm about to get upgraded to a Dukedom, but my god damn count won't stand still for ten seconds to accept the positon.
First, he wants to mine. Then I un-assign mining. Now he wants to store item in stockpile. Un-assign hauling and all labors. Drink.
*Inarticulate sounds of rage*
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24484 on: July 29, 2012, 11:53:02 pm »

Rimtarigam(Castlegorges) in the Bad Ass Mountains, has just turned 3.  88 souls.  79 animals. 4 visitors. 42 missing/dead.  Having a streak of hunting inactivity.  I think its because all these visitors are 'men'.  Hamster man, Louse man, Mosquiter man, and now Skunk man.  Not sure, but starting to believe, Hunt doesn't work on 'men' visitors.  4 hunters are no job, now for awhile.  Including the seed, if anyone's  interested. 

[SEED:9beIZwUWamDpXJ5v5wjC]
   [HISTORY_SEED:HkyZIE3e8hjIpObWzZNq]
   [NAME_SEED:pBYhBqjH3UBaOzZJFR1o]
   [CREATURE_SEED:21kI6iWmAu0tylEqCrLq]

Here's my topside fortress so far.  Just getting into finishing laying down all the workstations.  Have not opened a cavern, except to leak in a well reservoir.  I'm at the moment also configuring automation pressure traps.  Have a question, if I set it up to pressure for CIV's do I ALSO, have to set a mass/pressure number? Or does CIV overrule that?

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #24485 on: July 30, 2012, 12:13:58 am »

I had a vampire mayor. That was annoying, if I let her keep mayoring more sleeping people died every few days. If i locked her up, then she coudln't do her job well.

I arranged an Unfortunate Accident involving some silly coincicence that put retracting spikes right next to the prison chain. That's where she had to stand following her conviction. Here pile of tame bunnies insistedon keeping her company...

Just as the haulers were putting her body and effects into it and carting off the bunnny bits, an immigrant wave shows up. One has abnomally high social skills and a long list of broken associations. wOOt new Vamp.

He's chilling, locked in the mayors tomb while I figure out what to do with him.

Maybe I'll put him in a watch tower over the walls, with a crossbow and some levers to pull.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24486 on: July 30, 2012, 03:23:58 am »

Some planter claimed a craftdwarfs workshop, collected some stone and wood and then demanded silk cloth. Sadly I had none. It was in mid-spring when she entered her fey mood. I thought I could just wait till the elven caravan arrives and quickly buy some silk cloth from them.

Yeah, problem is, this planter girl went berserk, threw her baby around (it is now dead) and is standing at "her" workshop. Thank God I had some spare doors to place. Now she is sitting in this 5x5 room while I gather my militia and the miners dig two tombs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24487 on: July 30, 2012, 04:20:44 am »

PLATINUM. PLATINUM EVERYWHERE.

And my glacial dorf fort is working out well. A yeti got in and was swarmed by seven angry pick swinging dorfs. I did fastdorf it to get things done quickly due to my limited food supplies.

It's a shame ice can't be used to make furniture...

EDIT: Autumn has come and my surface fortress is to my liking, if short a few components. Thanks to three unlucky elk birds I have bone crafts aplenty to buy out the home caravan.

Also, trogs seem to be filling up my cage pile, so I've deployed the founders to supress this evidently large tribe of trogs. The presence of a troll leads me to think that the troll caught wind of us and is coercing the troglodytes to fight under its own banner, trying to use up our cages by sending endless waves of trogs at the cavern entry so it can attack directly.

As the founders are all miners, this will be quite the messy brawl.

"Miners of Glacialhell! You first struck ice, then struck stone, now I call on you to strike down the enemies of our fortress in the underworld! Go forth brothers and sister, and conquer!" - The expedition leader of Glacialhell.

Oh, and I've begun displaying our yeti on ice columns ourside the walls, killed a pair of thieves, and caught some other elk birds and a giant mole, so theres that for food if we need it.

EDIT II: Ok, so killing the troll may have been a bit stupid. The 2nd cavern layer (I sent the miner auxillia down to clean out anything that might be down there) flooded with troglodytes. And all the came to mind was the commander shout "THERE COMRADES!!! MORE COME TO DIE!" as he sighted the troglodyte hordes.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24488 on: July 30, 2012, 11:26:58 am »

I ended up lasing much longer than last time, but then miasma happened and then people were missing.

I think the problem I had was remedy-able.

I can't remember if you can dig into hills as you can mountans, I forget if there was a distinction. Is there? If not, i'll just make buckets way earlier and hope for the best.

Or I ould alter the embarks and stock up on animals and try and last long enough living on meats to trade for alcohol.

Why can't it be merciful like adventure mode.
You can dig into anything that isn't slade or an edge tile.

Thought so. Thanks for the hint.
Everybody!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24489 on: July 30, 2012, 01:01:22 pm »

My embark died due to frequent-ish game crashes.  I think a 7x7 embark was too ambitious. :P

I'm trying 6x6 this time. I turned off weather and temperature to lighten the load a bit.  I did manage to find a true embarkable mountain peak area with 120 Z-levels between the ground level and the top of the mountain.  The neat thing is that the mountain sort of spells out 'SOS' if you look at the map about half way up. And squint a bit.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24490 on: July 30, 2012, 04:45:45 pm »

Tangathurist (Trampled Dagger) just received spring immigrants.

Motherfuck, it's been a while since I was so happy to see them! My militia was supplied with fresh meat and several production sectors were revived after latest shruk siege and giant cave spider rampages.

Now, bolstering 36 dwarves, the little village is on a good way to stability and prosperity. Yay!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24491 on: July 30, 2012, 05:33:32 pm »

Hah, Winelabor has a similar issue.  We hit a high water mark of about 40 dwarves, then got involved in way too many ambushes, so now I only have 26 survivors and 3 of those are resting in the hospital.  There have been (32) deaths so far at my fort resulting in a coffin assignment, and about 1/2 of that was merchants or their guards.  Plus at least 2 baby/child snatches which succeeded because the stupid young dwarves were out and about instead of where they belonged.

Pop-cap is set at 50, fortress wealth is 1.2M, so I hope to see a decent migrant wave here soon.

Amazingly, I've only had a single tantrum so far - and that was the cook throwing eggs at the walls of the kitchen / butcher room.  Even after all the deaths of the last year (I was desperate to trade with the humans and dwarves this year for mass leather/cloth), all my dwarves are "content" or better.

Oh boy: "Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger."  And it is (23) !!! dwarves.  That's going to double my population and take a while to sort out.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:59:36 pm by wuphonsreach »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24492 on: July 30, 2012, 08:27:50 pm »

Castlegorges is really an Animalman City.  I've got slug men right now.  Trying to keep the butchering hides biz fruitful so I'm slaying them.  What's odd, is seeing something called a slug, run faster than a dwarf.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24493 on: July 30, 2012, 09:57:21 pm »

Coming close to year 4, I think, for Geshudbal.  My defenses are tight and I have about 34 military dwarves (pop cap is set to 70, but of course I'm over 100 dwarves already) so I've just been going through some pretty massive refurbishing on my lackluster fortress.  Smoothing over, big meeting hall plans,etc. Half of my oldest squad has been enraged by the 9 months of training I've been assigning them, which I honestly thought was no big deal, so I've redone all the military schedules to about half training/half off duty.  I've resigned most of their jobs/hauling anyway so they mostly do ind. combat drills all the time

Also speed building some living quarters for all my dwarves since I've utterly ignored it so far, instead giving them 2 meager meeting halls/dormitories, and some are starting to tantrum.  Plenty of beds and food and furniture, just not enough high quality to make them happy either.

mass producing silver statues usually does the trick

also a carpenter just made an epic door artifact. Not only does it have an image of a forgotten beast in gems, but also an image of a goblin "withering away" which relates to a goblin getting destroyed by my weapon traps. Good stuff and good timing as I replaced it with a door on my original squads barracks
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:17:33 pm by theprofessor! »

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24494 on: July 31, 2012, 03:12:40 am »

My newest fort just had its first beast, before my squads were fully equipped. A female Minotaur managed to explode a cat and tear apart one of my Macedwarves, but after she was crippled by a Marksdwarf, my other melee characters surrounded her and punched her in the head for 12 pages straight.
Pages: 1 ... 1631 1632 [1633] 1634 1635 ... 3842