Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1630 1631 [1632] 1633 1634 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121078 times)

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24465 on: July 29, 2012, 12:34:43 am »

Already started the walls  ;D Pretty sure it's cause I stationed this particular squad to train somewhere in the second cavern (I like to spread the squads out a bit, and I naturally build my fortresses into the caverns as I find them) and I let the floor flow go over the actual water a tile. 

Now I'm constantly checking for the next fool to go suicidal

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24466 on: July 29, 2012, 01:23:27 am »

One blood drained corpse; two vampires caught (one of which was the perpetrator, caught via slab description causing me to sniff around some more).

Edit: Giant Crow Bone Bed ahoy!!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:27:46 am by MadocComadrin »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24467 on: July 29, 2012, 01:28:57 am »

Was playing earlier today when I accidentally set my computer to restart, which force closed DF and I lost a small amount of gameplay time, nothing major.. but what's interesting is I had a swordsdwarf in mid-possession at the last save (he was still running around gathering materials) Well, before DF force closed he had finished the artifact and it was something inane and boring like a glove. 

Well I just started it up again and when he finished the artifact (again) he made a toy boat instead.  Still inane and boring, but the idea sprung to mind that I could technically exploit that (provided constantly forcing DF to close doesn't screw up my save) until I get a cool artifact like a weapon or some furniture for display purposes.

Just a thought.

Beyond that, more fucking migrants have showed up even though I'm well past the population cap I set (I prefer smaller fortress' of around 70-80 dwarves)

Ah well

If you wanna force-close DF without restarting the computer, go into the task manager and close the Dwarf Fortress process.

Just incase you didn't know.
yes I know  :P  Mostly worried if doing it without letting it properly save and clean up could corrupt the file or smt.

Not at all! I do it alot. Never got a single problem.

If you have DFHack, you can just type 'die' in the console to save some time opening Task Manager. Just a protip. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24468 on: July 29, 2012, 01:33:03 am »

A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!

Oh great just what I ne...

Longname McSomethingpants the Titan has arrived. I think it might spit fire, and it moves its shells carelessly or something to that effect. Beware my crappy description!

Hooray! That's one less siege I have to wait out before I get my military up and running.

Edit: and that couldn't have been more perfect. He charged headlong into the siege, spit out enough flames to engulf the entire siege, took numerous !!Short Swords!! to the body and face and died. The siege burnt to a crisp, so now I just need to wait out the resulting wildfire.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:37:32 am by MadocComadrin »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24469 on: July 29, 2012, 01:41:50 am »

Ah, the Spearbreaker's siege syndrome strikes again.
The solution to a siege? A meaner, nastier siege. The two sieges fight to the death, leaving one, very weakened siege, easily destroyed by your pitiful militia forces. :)
In your case, it was a siege and a titan, but my point stands.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24470 on: July 29, 2012, 03:20:24 am »

And for two years running, the dwarven caravan fails to arrive due to my fortress being besieged........

Damn, I want my elevation to the baron, as well as steel damn it.. I'm running out of iron bronze, and even copper.......

Then use the iron, bronze & copper you have to make a army. Crush the siege! Unless its glitched.
I did:D I have a military powerful enough that the 5 squads a siege has has no problems. Ambushes are worse off than sieges actually:D

Of course, it doesn't matter now since DF crashed when I was saving......................

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24471 on: July 29, 2012, 03:29:13 am »

And for two years running, the dwarven caravan fails to arrive due to my fortress being besieged........

Damn, I want my elevation to the baron, as well as steel damn it.. I'm running out of iron bronze, and even copper.......

Humans sieged me for a full 2 years.  Just hanging around at the edge of the map while I turtled and improved everything inside the walls.  They eventually gave up and the diplomat came and offered peace at his annual visit.
Depending on your military, set up a meeting zone near where their army is, and when your children run away from those frightful humans, have your nearby ranged bows fill them full of bolts.

You need to.... balance it out for large measures of fun, since..... your dwarves might decide to run in instead. It works wonder if there's some pond or something to help keep your distance.

The funny thing is, human sieges are even easier to break than goblins. They come in relatively scattered and they don't gather close enough due to their pathing behaviour, unlike goblins/trolls. You might have 3-4 squads clustered around a single camp, although I haven't waged war on them long enough for them to bring like 10 squads or more.....

Unlike a normal goblin siege, where a small military can get swamped under by superior numbers.

Red Llama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24472 on: July 29, 2012, 05:32:28 am »

I am mining out the caverns I have found and I am going to domesticate it

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24473 on: July 29, 2012, 09:59:52 am »

Been playing Adventure Mode quite a bit lately, decided I should learn the ASCII and stop handicapping myself with tilesets. Only thing that drives me nuts so far is the rectangular nature of a tile.

Borrowed a map from the 2012 Worldgen Cookbook, found an area that looked exciting. Joyous Wilds Temperate Shrubland, Terrifying Temperate Conifer Forest, and and Untamed Wilds Badlands. The badlands and conifer forest have a 3-z deep aquifer layer, while he whole embark has sand, clay, lignite and hematite, flux and bituminous coal - mostly right under the aquifer.

Had to adjust the advanced parameters a bit, I don't like shallow cavern levels, even though they provide plenty of Fun. I like to dig out my fort from the bones of the earth, not use existing space and polish everything as I dig deeper. Also adjusted the region interactions so I had some evil weather, just to ensure I have Fun.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24474 on: July 29, 2012, 10:05:07 am »

I guess wereperson, of amphbian descent showed up. Just because I wanted it dead I fasthuman'd my three swordsmen down after it and deactivated it. At the same time, a flock of lovebird men came in, and were killed in the crossfire basically. Good training for my fledgling legionaires. I also found something disturbing: Must import all iron or rely on fuck all copper and silver weapons. And since I rely on soldiers with chopping and peircing weapons, this is not good.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24475 on: July 29, 2012, 02:10:26 pm »

huh, It appears my foray into minecarts went off without a hitch. How surprising. I was sure something would light on fire somehow. Well, The track is still young, this may still kill someone yet.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24476 on: July 29, 2012, 02:54:43 pm »

Cryptdagger got another migrant wave - up to 71 now.  Newest group did not do much to help out the skillset, but the fortress is also far enough along in industrial development that it should be able to supply basic food and beds.  Time to formally organize the military then and go from relying on a few dwarves grabbing armor and crossbows when danger threatens to having heavily trained squads in full gear ready to go.

Foundry area is almost complete.  Six smelters, three forges, two kilns, and two glassmakers all running off of magma.  Since the clay is earthware and not a lot of glazing materials are available (wood still too useful for other purposes than ash) the kilns are mainly producing brick for roofing work and paving clay and sand sections of the fortress.  The glassworks are putting out menacing spikes for a large pit trap and also starting to produce furniture.   Some tin was imported to get some more bronze available for weapons and armor.

Preparations being made for an expected Goblin Christmas soon.   Retracting bridge and also a "dodge-me" over a 4Z deep pit loaded with menacing spikes.  Which can then be flooded.  (If I get a male cave croc I will add a cage/room full of war trained cage crocs to the combination just for giggles once they breed up.)

Stuck a large vein of bauxite.  Mined enough stone to fulfill remaining magma-proof rock requirements for now.  Holding off on going deeper in until I am ready to start making higher skill stonework and start replacing decor with red doors, tables, etc.  Maybe do the whole hospital in bauxite, including flooring. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24477 on: July 29, 2012, 04:59:17 pm »

Okay, I know this isn't all that new or exciting, but I watched a weapon trap work, I mean really work for the first time.  I have a "welcome" corridor with weapons traps.  Each has ten weapons, a mix of copper corkscrews and miscellaneous weapons that are too sucky for my military, but not made of metals I can't mine.  A barn owl man landed on the trap and got disassembled.  A spray of little red "z's" got scattered everywhere.  Hilarious.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24478 on: July 29, 2012, 08:14:19 pm »

I ended up lasing much longer than last time, but then miasma happened and then people were missing.

I think the problem I had was remedy-able.

I can't remember if you can dig into hills as you can mountans, I forget if there was a distinction. Is there? If not, i'll just make buckets way earlier and hope for the best.

Or I ould alter the embarks and stock up on animals and try and last long enough living on meats to trade for alcohol.

Why can't it be merciful like adventure mode.
Everybody!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24479 on: July 29, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »

I ended up lasing much longer than last time, but then miasma happened and then people were missing.

I think the problem I had was remedy-able.

I can't remember if you can dig into hills as you can mountans, I forget if there was a distinction. Is there? If not, i'll just make buckets way earlier and hope for the best.

Or I ould alter the embarks and stock up on animals and try and last long enough living on meats to trade for alcohol.

Why can't it be merciful like adventure mode.
You can dig into anything that isn't slade or an edge tile.
Pages: 1 ... 1630 1631 [1632] 1633 1634 ... 3842