Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121041 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24510 on: July 31, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »

And my first legendary combat dwarf comes into existance.  Asmel Squirtchannel The Blameless Freckles of Ink.

Now, besides the general amusement of that... if you use ink to create your freckles, HOW ARE THEY BLAMELESS?!  They're YOUR fault!   :D

... It would appear this siege is doing well for me, we also now have Sigun Giftedlantern the Gold of Rites.  Edem Walleddimpled the Outrageous Conquerer of Noses (how big ARE those goblin noses?)  and a humble warrior who hasn't titled himself something rediculous but has reached Legendary status.

Goooo Marksdwarves!

*The Elite Goblin Swordmaster blocks the 50,000 bolts heading at him like he was Neo.*
"Dammit!  Reload!  I thought we were legendary?"
"We are... so's he."
*TWANNNNG*

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24511 on: July 31, 2012, 08:24:00 pm »

And on a unrelated note my fort has a vampire. YAY! Or nay? Welp, My plan to find it is to supply too many bedrooms, then check who doesn't have one.

Or try the vampire hunting thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112189.0

(The idea of supplying excess bedrooms is a good one if it works.)
Poked through that thread and the wiki. I looked through my units list and found a Siege Engineer with 15 billion "member/former member of" things listed. She is currently my prime suspect and my only lead. If 'On break' special coloration thing is true, then it should be easy to confirm. I am currently making special accommodations, which will be sealed, quarters for who ever the vampire is, because, hey, I hear they make great bookkeepers.

Some side notes, the only casualty so far from the vampire was an Herbalist, who, I think, was unimportant to the overall existence of the fort. Currently pop of my fort is exactly 100, hope it doesn't fall any time soon. Though, I currently have 311K in wealth, and I am in , I think, the 3rd year. So gobbo invasion soon!

Edit: Forgot to mention, her only thoughts are "Accosted by terrible vermin" and "Satisfied at work recently", When I have a legendary legendary (Repeat intentional.) dinning room. And she also does not have any quarters. She also has a crap ton of random skills. I'm basically waiting for her room to be dug out and furniture placed in it at this point.

Also I have absolutely no form of Dwarven justice in my fort.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:59:24 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24512 on: July 31, 2012, 09:27:13 pm »

A true shame that. What will you do when the dwarf is on the verge of collapse and tantrumming dwarves are threats to themselves and others? Its really simple. Build a chain or rope, set it to be used for justice, assign a captain of the guard and hammerer as well as a police force. These can be random dwarfs if you wish.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #24513 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:36 pm »

The first strange mood in Drinktowns took no expensive materials and produced a legendary gem setter? Excellent...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24514 on: July 31, 2012, 11:41:27 pm »

Trade with the elves has been lucrative this Spring.  The fortress of Oceanmirrors has just replaced the guard dogs at the gates with a giant hyena and a giant sloth bear.  As both are capable of taking on trolls and fully iron-armored goblins, woe to the petty thief who gets discovered.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:01:50 am by VerdantSF »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24515 on: July 31, 2012, 11:54:48 pm »

Well, I appeared to have lucked out. A FB attackos a amber humanoid (amber being how hard? I've never seen it in game.) with deadly vapors attacked. It was appearantly pretty hard, but this became irrelevant, as a completely accidental combo of archers and a hammer dwarf managed to injure pretty well, allowing my military to show up and beat it up further. Appearantly yak leather is deadly, as attacks by my archers using their shields went well. The last attack was actually a leather shield banging his head off. And the Vapor gives a mild fever so far, and only affected 2 dwarfs.

A Dwarven atomsmasher nearly killed dwarf when I prematurely activated the switch. The dwarf who escaped did so within the same one tick. Must've been like in the movies where you dodge out of the way.

Yet another dwarf has been injured due to the mist generator. I would stop telling them to go in there, but at this point Its just hilarious. I've installed a little exit for the animals who get stuck there, so they get rescued or escape before stuff happens. But its so funny, they try to go up, get knocked back, go back up, fall back down.

The memorial to all thoise who've given there lives to the fort has proceeded as planned, despite mining labor shortages. A statue of the old military commander has been installed in the memorial hall, as well as plans for the old king to have his own monument.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24516 on: August 01, 2012, 12:15:30 am »

A fire breathing dragon appeared on the surface.  Call forth the Marksdwarves (and raise the bridges!)

Expecting an epic fight, imagine my surprise when after a page and a half of bolt shooting it fell over, dead.  Yum, dragon bone.

LordExumius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24517 on: August 01, 2012, 03:55:20 am »

FUCKING FIRE IMPS.

Sorry, just lost BOTH OF MY MINERS

BOTH OF THEM.

FUCK.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:57:31 am by LordExumius »

Ursist Mcstunty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24518 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55:16 am »

I was setting up to hold off a goblin seige which i was sure was on its way, what i got was a FB with deadly smoke breath, they never had a chance  :'(
The carp stands up....

wait wat

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24519 on: August 01, 2012, 08:05:35 am »

Building floors. A few hundred floors to be exact. I might save time and stone making the next few upper layers hollow, but that seems just... Undwarfy.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24520 on: August 01, 2012, 08:05:54 am »

Lost a legendary Stonecrafter to a Magma Fortifiaction-breach becasue he was stupidly set to engrave as well as craft stone works. I was clearing the job from his duties and removing the carve-fortifiactions designation but as soon as I un-paused he finished.
Rest well in the blood of Armok brother.
Oh well, just as well I have a spare legendary stone crafter in 'reserve' :)

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24521 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »

Building floors. A few hundred floors to be exact. I might save time and stone making the next few upper layers hollow, but that seems just... Undwarfy.
I generally find that the stupid accidents that happen when trying to construct hollow stories balances out the lack of dwarfiness for stone-saving. That, and multi-z-level spaces look neat, especially with windows.

Anyway, my stockpiles aren't taking their full share of bins in my current fort. I have a bunch of bins just waiting to be used in my Furniture Stockpile, but my haulers are still placing individual items in some chunks of each stockpile. That is, they only partially fill each stock pile up with binned objects while the rest lay around individually despite having a bunch of free bins in reserve. :/

Also, I captured a breeding pair of giant keas and giant swallows, but I can't seem to catch either of them laying eggs. I really want to make a hilarious yet not very effective giant bird hoard to peck at my sieges.

angrysully

« Reply #24522 on: August 01, 2012, 12:34:37 pm »

In order to train dogs into war dogs what exactly do you need?  I got kennels set up and about 3-4 dwarves with only animal care and animal training but I'm not seeing and training.  I got about 71 dogs/puppies that I want to make into my military eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24523 on: August 01, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »

In order to train dogs into war dogs what exactly do you need?  I got kennels set up and about 3-4 dwarves with only animal care and animal training but I'm not seeing and training.  I got about 71 dogs/puppies that I want to make into my military eventually.
Make an animal training zone (i)

angrysully

« Reply #24524 on: August 01, 2012, 12:39:17 pm »

Make an animal training zone (i)

I didn't even realize it was there the whole time, thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 ... 3842