Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1629 1630 [1631] 1632 1633 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120856 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24450 on: July 28, 2012, 04:24:13 pm »

And for two years running, the dwarven caravan fails to arrive due to my fortress being besieged........

Damn, I want my elevation to the baron, as well as steel damn it.. I'm running out of iron bronze, and even copper.......

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24451 on: July 28, 2012, 04:26:54 pm »

And for two years running, the dwarven caravan fails to arrive due to my fortress being besieged........

Damn, I want my elevation to the baron, as well as steel damn it.. I'm running out of iron bronze, and even copper.......

Then use the iron, bronze & copper you have to make a army. Crush the siege! Unless its glitched.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24452 on: July 28, 2012, 04:27:24 pm »

I'm playing a new fort just two years old, in which I've breached the aquifer using the two-slit method, and am planning to bring magma up to the fort using the cave-in plug method. Both techniques I've never used before. I also aim to make this fort look like Manhattan instead of digging down into the dirt. If possible I want to play around with isolated dwarf communities each with their own living/dining/working tower.

Issue 1: I created this pocket island with only a single cave layer, and my dwarves have no access to pig-tails (or dimple cups)
Issue 2: Some dyestuffs grow above ground, but only a very few rope reeds
Issue 3: The temperature is so hot that I can't make outdoor farm plots ('need mud or soil')
Issue 4: Elves are nothing but a fairy story told to impressionable dwarf children.
That means I'm going to be dependent on importing rope reeds from the humans if I want to avoid failed moods.

I'm also in range of three towers, so this is my first experience of necromancer sieges too. I had to save scum after a siege of 30 undead interrupted the first dwarven caravan before I had my perimiter built up or much in the way of weapons or armour.

I'm currently in my third spring, and under siege by 90 undead and 4 necromancers. I'm in no immediate danger, but I need to break this siege in the next 3 months or so, for the human caravan. Having archers plink at the undead from the walls is just not going to do anything but run me out of ammunition.

You get "Need Mud or Soil" trying to build plots on grass, you can still build them.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24453 on: July 28, 2012, 08:17:33 pm »

Humans sieged me for a full 2 years.  Just hanging around at the edge of the map while I turtled and improved everything inside the walls.  They eventually gave up and the diplomat came and offered peace at his annual visit.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24454 on: July 28, 2012, 08:39:28 pm »

Yep, thats how humans roll. "They think they can turtle? We can starve them out!"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24455 on: July 28, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »

Made a new fort with a Tower neighbour. The RNG gave it a pretty decent name for a fort experiencing zombie attacks: Boardtired.

I'm also going for a policy of killing off all traders in order to have more fun in this fort :D

EDIT: One of the traders locked in my trade depot atm is named Monkkey. If he goes berserk.. :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:58:39 pm by crazysheep »
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Premium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24456 on: July 28, 2012, 10:03:38 pm »

One of my rookie militia decided to go berserk and attacked one of my hunters, who was a mother carrying her baby. It was a fairly close fight that went on for ages, with the berserk guy taking a few dozen bolts and the hunter losing one of her feet.
At some point during the battle, he hit the baby in the head with his axe, but couldn't break the skin. I guess this was one badass baby because after getting hit by the axe he decided to punch the berserker in the head.
8 times.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24457 on: July 28, 2012, 10:44:32 pm »

My fort is now under siege by a minotaur (First one I've ever encountered.), early obsidian, year 1055. (3rd year.) My bridge is up but I forgot to remove the fortress-side ramps in the pit to it. I am scrambling to get up traps before facing this monster. My milita is only a squad of marksdwarves, so theoretically I can micro to keep away from it while my milita unloads bolts into it. Of course I can always just bait it into the traps when they are ready, but that wouldn't be fun.

Wish me luck.

UPDATE: Minotaur is DOWN! As in dead. There were 2 causualties, mainly due to PEBCAK from the military menu borking to me. One Dwarf is severely injured, others possess injuries, degree unknown.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:09:59 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24458 on: July 28, 2012, 11:42:59 pm »

Was playing earlier today when I accidentally set my computer to restart, which force closed DF and I lost a small amount of gameplay time, nothing major.. but what's interesting is I had a swordsdwarf in mid-possession at the last save (he was still running around gathering materials) Well, before DF force closed he had finished the artifact and it was something inane and boring like a glove. 

Well I just started it up again and when he finished the artifact (again) he made a toy boat instead.  Still inane and boring, but the idea sprung to mind that I could technically exploit that (provided constantly forcing DF to close doesn't screw up my save) until I get a cool artifact like a weapon or some furniture for display purposes.

Just a thought.

Beyond that, more fucking migrants have showed up even though I'm well past the population cap I set (I prefer smaller fortress' of around 70-80 dwarves)

Ah well

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24459 on: July 28, 2012, 11:47:32 pm »

Was playing earlier today when I accidentally set my computer to restart, which force closed DF and I lost a small amount of gameplay time, nothing major.. but what's interesting is I had a swordsdwarf in mid-possession at the last save (he was still running around gathering materials) Well, before DF force closed he had finished the artifact and it was something inane and boring like a glove. 

Well I just started it up again and when he finished the artifact (again) he made a toy boat instead.  Still inane and boring, but the idea sprung to mind that I could technically exploit that (provided constantly forcing DF to close doesn't screw up my save) until I get a cool artifact like a weapon or some furniture for display purposes.

Just a thought.

Beyond that, more fucking migrants have showed up even though I'm well past the population cap I set (I prefer smaller fortress' of around 70-80 dwarves)

Ah well

If you wanna force-close DF without restarting the computer, go into the task manager and close the Dwarf Fortress process.

Just incase you didn't know.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24460 on: July 28, 2012, 11:53:11 pm »

Carp. To be slightly more specific, Undead Carp. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but several things led to this becoming a serious problem.
  • I failed to realize I embarked near a horribly cursed lake
  • I was building a walkway over the lake
  • I had blinded all of my dwarves, so they streamed out to rescue the dead and dying
  • The dead dwarves on the walkway came back to life almost instantly
Besides the whole "the undead are ripping them apart" part, things are going good! I found out my civ's symbol is a coin, so I'm mass producing all the gold and silver coins I can, then stuffing them into a gold vault.

I have a good feeling about this fort.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24461 on: July 29, 2012, 12:02:45 am »

Just a thought.

Ah well

If you wanna force-close DF without restarting the computer, go into the task manager and close the Dwarf Fortress process.

yes I know  :P  Mostly worried if doing it without letting it properly save and clean up could corrupt the file or smt.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24462 on: July 29, 2012, 12:03:40 am »

Just a thought.

Ah well

yes I know  :P  Mostly worried if doing it without letting it properly save and clean up could corrupt the file or smt.

Not at all! I do it alot. Never got a single problem.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24463 on: July 29, 2012, 12:19:27 am »

Ah, cool. Good to know thanks.

So I drafted most of the new migrants as I have plenty of workers, somehow one of them has already gone and drowned himself.  Perhaps Toady should consider adding "Safety Rails" as a future construction
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:21:17 am by theprofessor! »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24464 on: July 29, 2012, 12:24:14 am »

Perhaps Toady should consider adding "Safety Rails" as a future construction
We call walls "Safety Rails" around here.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 1629 1630 [1631] 1632 1633 ... 3842