Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1628 1629 [1630] 1631 1632 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120795 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24435 on: July 27, 2012, 06:29:20 pm »

Uh-oh. New Oilpalm's future isn't looking too bright... A goblin ambush has somehow made it through the doors!
A bunch of macemen and a swordsman, by the looks of it. I have a fledgling military, but they aren't very well-equipped...

Could this be the (second) end for Oilpalms?! Let's unpause and find out! :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24436 on: July 27, 2012, 07:08:27 pm »

Finally got the corpse disposal working, hurrah! It's no shotgun yoyo, but it's still a one-stop route.
(huge pic is huge. Seriously. And yet still only 65kb)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mostly it's self-explanatory, except for the randomly-placed lever. That's connected to the gears near the water reactor, so that the pressure plates switch the rollers on. The plates are never on at the same time, so they can be connected to retracting bridges inside the shaft to airlock it.

The right roller isn't necessary because the cart can be pushed and still hit the roller north of the reactor. It's much quicker with an extra roller though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24437 on: July 27, 2012, 09:50:24 pm »

I decided to start a fort that exists on a 9x9 island. The island is a desert, and I noticed only after that it is host to a titan made of fire. It's ignoring me, so that's all and well. However, the surrounding ocean is terrifying, so I had one of these pass through the area and get too close to my fort for comfort a few times. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4wb7636ruio56a/Evil.png
Luckily, it ignored us long enough to build to typical wall and bridge defense. We're isolated from traders, so I'm going to see how long the fort can last. Also of note: There's 1000 mega beasts, and a sub goal is to kill every one that comes to get me. This will mostly be forgotten beasts. Obviously I lowered the wealth/pop requirements to 1 so they're fulfilled from the beginning. I will probably inevitably die to moods that need silk or other annoying materials, but so be it. It's gonna be awhile before I have 20 dorfs anyway.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24438 on: July 28, 2012, 02:43:55 am »

Good news - we have a growing population due to dwarven children (yes, in a pop_cap = 0 fort this is a good thing).

Bad news - our master Tailor, makeshift doctor, the father of 16 children, and all around pretty good guy... well he got into a strange mood. He took over his workshop and said something about stone, leather, bones, cut gems, and cloth stacks. We thought we had everything, at least after his wife (Onol 'Fertile' Rakustrobek) cut some gems up for him. He ened up going berserk and attacking his war dogs.

Udib Kubukisden was the one to bring down the tailor, striking him with Limsod (an exceptional steel spear that roughly interprets as 'The Wispy Mist'). That dwarf was so deadly that the others have taken to calling him by the name of his spear. Udib 'Mist' Kubukisden.

-----
Damn, didn't even post this before a dwarven child Sibrek Ässuvas withdraws from society. In case you didn't guess, that's the son of the one that JUST died. He grabs some bones of a cat and a Blac-crested Gibbon (oh the memories form that Black-Crested Gibbon, at least it's bones are put into an artifact). he creates a trumpet out of Black-Crested Gibbon bone.

On the It's called Dabblingtake the Worthy Tome. On the item is an image of dwarves in black-crested gibbon bone. The dwarves are laughing. It's in reference to a famous defeat of a Brushed Frigid Horror not 30 years prior. Not amazing, but it's a nice piece of history to add to the artifact stockpile in the dining room.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24439 on: July 28, 2012, 03:03:10 am »

A retired soldier of titled caliber migrated to my fort. He is 48, going by the title of "The Velvet of Depressions."

Strange.... I guess I got lucky. Has five putrid blendec kills and several nameless kobolds. Must've been a marksman in an army based on his skills.

Got four marksmen actually.... Is the game trying to make me use rangers instead of legionaires?

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24440 on: July 28, 2012, 04:29:00 am »

Okay, after figuring out the whole map thing, I embarked again digging out several rooms.

Problem is, was there was way too much stone & junk to actually place anything to make anything to keep everyone happy, and now migrants have arrived and started eating my food.

Of course, i've now made everyone haul stone outside, as there's no way to get anything done otherwise. Then I can make something other than endless doors (like a container, that'd help).

Still, it's not all bad. I've already found gold at least, I suppose we could eat that when things get worse.

OH GOD MIGRANTS! TOO MANY!

Which reminds me, strange moods, how do I know what's needed? Thankx,

Double Edit: Yeah, he keeps grabbing stuff. Hopefully he'll get what he wants, if he doesn't and dies i've lost my only competent woodworker.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:54:57 am by Wolf Tengu »
Everybody!

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24441 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02:06 am »

In my latest fort Goldinches,  I have completely reversed my belief on keas, perhaps only temporarily.  Currently keas invade my fort about twice a year.  Unfortunately for them, they find that both my above ground stockpiles have a GCS protecting the loot.  So instead of harassing me with messages of stealing all my precious stone blocks, I have a free and rapidly growing silk industry.
Wait.... How did you get that set up? You tamed the GCS or?

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24442 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:12 am »

A single elite marksgob (in a squad of macegobs) put three marksdwarves in their coffins and another two in hospital, while suffering no wounds at all. Yes, my dwarves were behind fortifications, on a higher level, and two of them were elites.

Well, after I opened up the gate into my trap-lined entrance, he's caged. Now I can think up suitable tortures.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24443 on: July 28, 2012, 08:53:45 am »

A single elite marksgob (in a squad of macegobs) put three marksdwarves in their coffins and another two in hospital, while suffering no wounds at all. Yes, my dwarves were behind fortifications, on a higher level, and two of them were elites.

Well, after I opened up the gate into my trap-lined entrance, he's caged. Now I can think up suitable tortures.
That was quite unlucky, was it during a siege?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24444 on: July 28, 2012, 10:29:23 am »

Problem is, was there was way too much stone & junk to actually place anything to make anything to keep everyone happy, and now migrants have arrived and started eating my food.

OH GOD MIGRANTS! TOO MANY!

a) Miners at the start need to be forced to work one one room at a time.  Designate the areas to be excavated, but don't designate the doorways.  As they finish out a room completely, designate another doorway to be dug.

b) I strongly recommend setting population cap in the init file to 20-30 at the start.  Maybe as low as 15.  Then raise it by 5 or 10 every spring.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24445 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:47 am »

Children are starting to grow into useful adults. Yay! I've designated one as a smith (with associated labors), and one as a brewer (brewers also grow stuff in my fort). Now I can start melting all that goblinite in my fort! and I can start burning down all the trees growing inside! yay!

I've also found out that peregrine falcon's are outside my fort. Why does this matter? because according to the wiki, they're as efficient at killing vermin as cats are, without the population explosion. Time to make some traps.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24446 on: July 28, 2012, 01:53:54 pm »

I just saw something......... strange..........

Asen Listducim, Slayer, cancels Store Item in Barrel: Seeking infant.
Asen Listducim, Slayer, cancels Seek Infant: Infant unaccessible.

Hmmm...... Zooming to the first announcement leads me to my food stockpile. The second announcement leads me to the dining room stairway.......... Odd, did my dwarf teleport? Well. Maybe she picked up her baby successfully.......

Then it hit me. Her baby was Linkot, the dwarf who drowned in my cistern and rotted inside... I initated actions to drain my cistern and waterfall so that I could entomb  her(beside, which sane dwarf would drink water from a rotting baby?)... and the waters had finally begun to dip below 5/7........

Sure.... code wise, its probably the game retriggering her failure to pick up the infant and retriggering the job. But game wise, its like the mother just heard the call of her ghostly baby from beyond and she rushed down to try and retreive her baby.... to no avail..........

Sometimes, the game code seems eeriely alive. Its like the time when the entire family of a deceased dwarf gathered around her corpse, before I entombed it. Or when a dwarven child stayed close to above dwarf in the hospital, being rotated by her husband and other child at times..........

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24447 on: July 28, 2012, 02:12:57 pm »

I'm playing a new fort just two years old, in which I've breached the aquifer using the two-slit method, and am planning to bring magma up to the fort using the cave-in plug method. Both techniques I've never used before. I also aim to make this fort look like Manhattan instead of digging down into the dirt. If possible I want to play around with isolated dwarf communities each with their own living/dining/working tower.

Issue 1: I created this pocket island with only a single cave layer, and my dwarves have no access to pig-tails (or dimple cups)
Issue 2: Some dyestuffs grow above ground, but only a very few rope reeds
Issue 3: The temperature is so hot that I can't make outdoor farm plots ('need mud or soil')
Issue 4: Elves are nothing but a fairy story told to impressionable dwarf children.
That means I'm going to be dependent on importing rope reeds from the humans if I want to avoid failed moods.

I'm also in range of three towers, so this is my first experience of necromancer sieges too. I had to save scum after a siege of 30 undead interrupted the first dwarven caravan before I had my perimiter built up or much in the way of weapons or armour.

I'm currently in my third spring, and under siege by 90 undead and 4 necromancers. I'm in no immediate danger, but I need to break this siege in the next 3 months or so, for the human caravan. Having archers plink at the undead from the walls is just not going to do anything but run me out of ammunition.

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruining the fun for everybody.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24448 on: July 28, 2012, 02:30:06 pm »

In my embark site, I found out that a pit, 10 z-levels down, had water inside, any person that falls inside won't find a way out and will surely die, this time the pit helped me, as rhesus macaques were stealing my stuff, my squad chased them down the pit and the macaque fell down, looks like he is going to be in there forever.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24449 on: July 28, 2012, 03:10:30 pm »

Issue 3: The temperature is so hot that I can't make outdoor farm plots ('need mud or soil')

Try building it anyway.  If the text isn't red "Blocked", it'll work.  Have the same confusion on my stuff too.
Pages: 1 ... 1628 1629 [1630] 1631 1632 ... 3842