Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1627 1628 [1629] 1630 1631 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120411 times)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24420 on: July 27, 2012, 02:03:05 am »

Whoops.  I just tried this out and it unfortunately does not work :(.
Could you have the well 1 z above the water source? That's what I do but with lever operated hatches so I can just pull a lever to make them stop using it.
You can't construct a well over a grate, I think the grate blocks the bucket from being lowered into the water source. Also, the other thing is that you can't stack buildings (grates and wells are buildings afaik, but correct me if I'm wrong).
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24421 on: July 27, 2012, 02:13:46 am »

Hey, did you know that weapon and armor stockpiles have settings for "useable" and
"unuseable"? I didn't until just now. No wonder my weapon minecarts weren't workign right!
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24422 on: July 27, 2012, 02:30:13 am »

Elf caravan shows up. They brought stuff or their guards killed things on the way in. Suddenly a dead moose, muskox, and various leavings around my butcher shop reanimate, and I scramble with absolutely no idea how to deal with this.  :o
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24423 on: July 27, 2012, 02:32:10 am »

I just got a vampire queen.  Immediately dug out her quarters, tomb, dining room, ect right next to the third cavern floor.  Littlered the passageway with traps and breached the cavern wall.

I locked her down there with all of my dwarf children and a freshly made squad of my ten dumbest dwarves.  She is a godsend.  Unemployment has been rampant.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:40:51 am by edgefigaro »

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24424 on: July 27, 2012, 03:20:56 am »

Geshudbdal is in it's 3rd year, I've got about 12 weapon traps (each with 3 giant axe blades, mixed between silver and copper) guarding my entrance, along with a bridge set to launch enemies off a ledge just for fun.  Magma foundry is up and running strong and my 18 military dwarves are all equipped and training.  pretty smooth sailing so far, save for my possessed dwarves wanting ridiculous things like adamantine, or wool cloth (which I simply had none of since I prefer plant cloth, and the possession came literally JUST after a caravan left..)

A forgotten beast just showed up in the 2nd cavern where my foundry is, I had to mine away a small chokehold I was utilizing (wanted to plant some cage traps there instead anyway) just to get too him and he's a giant one-eyed lizard with three long straight tails, buff scales and a frozen dangerous spittle.  He's falling pretty easily, my dwarves are all hacking and slashing and stabbing and biting away at him no problem, but I like his name: "Sulud Murkskulls the Deep Dung"

If there were bathrooms, or at least latreens, in DF; I would certainly store his body there just for shits n giggles

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24425 on: July 27, 2012, 03:46:44 am »

IMPORTANT UPDATE: elven caravan arrived, I found this too be a perfect time to test the bridge launcher

I wish I'd put it higher up first, but it very satisfyingly worked and sent an elf and all his goods flying.  I've noticed that all the goods are now unforbidden and free for my dwarves to take.

Although I was just gonna seize their goods anyway

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24426 on: July 27, 2012, 03:59:19 am »

The ruin of Old Oilpalm is mostly empty, save for the ghosts, piles of corpses, (both dwarf and goblin, along with one kobold) a legion of stray dogs, cats and cows, and one paraplegic chicken. A few half-mad survivors still scrabble around in the upper levels, wading gingerly through the bones of their kin on the way to and from the remaining booze stockpile.

New Oilpalm, however, is slowly improving. Fish are plentiful where the river runs through, the wall is almost complete, and I am gradually going through the tedious process of making sure everything is getting done fairly quickly.
Having a bit of trouble getting motivated farm workers, but oh well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24427 on: July 27, 2012, 04:04:18 am »

I have decided to lead my Roman-Cossacks northward to carve a new home in a snowy forest, far from prying modbolds and goblins. How well we'll last is up for debate, since humans rely on sirface crops.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24428 on: July 27, 2012, 04:06:47 am »

I have decided to lead my Roman-Cossacks northward to carve a new home in a snowy forest, far from prying modbolds and goblins. How well we'll last is up for debate, since humans rely on sirface crops.

6 months, 7 at most.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24429 on: July 27, 2012, 04:08:05 am »

Your confidence in my humans is so encouraging.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #24430 on: July 27, 2012, 05:12:15 am »

Two questions about minecarts;  Do they work underwater (as in 7/7 surrounded above and the sides with water over multiple z-levels), and does unpressured flooding (as in a massive amount of water, open floodgate, insta-submerged small room) derail them?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24431 on: July 27, 2012, 08:11:19 am »

Elf caravan shows up. They brought stuff or their guards killed things on the way in. Suddenly a dead moose, muskox, and various leavings around my butcher shop reanimate, and I scramble with absolutely no idea how to deal with this.  :o

I would sig this if I had room :(

At this point, I propose that "Reanimating Biome" be the default value for this game.
The benefits innumerable, and I don't see how repeated zombie apocalypses would discourage new players any more than the game already does.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24432 on: July 27, 2012, 01:04:40 pm »

Rimtarigam in the Bad Ass Mountains, has just turned 1.  Lost last one to unplayable lag.  Under 8FPS = death.  180 dwarfs and a chickenslosion, ended it really.  It was a 5x5.  Decided to roll up another 5x5 but in a new 33x33 world this time around.  Found a suitable embark location, temperate, max rain & max forests, 0 slopes, untamed wilds.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still trying to figure out the new features, like how to lay tracks, hoping this world & embark gives me the chance to learn it.  Took this with me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First thing I did was give the fastest male of the non-trained dorfs, woodcutting.  Turned off wood hauling for them all.  I told him to lop down 10 trees and used the 2 oak logs to make a bowyer and a craftdwarf stations, and 1 log, not sure type, to make a downward stair.  I then dug down to z-20, with the two miners.  I set up pens for the hens.  I set up workstations, and made a xbow and ammo for the Hunter.  Hes now using the 3 female dogs to hunt.  My expedition leader is a builder, that's his only job.  He's bin busy, but will soon settle into this 10x10 meeting area and flirt.  Its an untamed wilds, so I have to fill the hunter up with decent ammo.  Luckily my wood crafter hit a mood, and is now legendary, so I'm making high quality wood ammo.  Have two free quivers, gave one to a migrant hunter, that had nice stats for hunting, but no skill in it.  And the third quiver, I figure the Militia Commander will pickup.  Made 3 wood blocks, to build a Depot.  Some tables and chairs, and lots of beds.  That's about where I am.  4 10x10 rooms, and 8 5x5 rooms.  A well has been made, but the fishing down there isn't happening.  Starting to wonder if I need this fishery on this map or not.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24433 on: July 27, 2012, 01:51:44 pm »

Hmm, another goblin ambush, this time it was mostly soaked up by the dwarven caravan- it was pretty epic, watching the gobboes swarm over the rearmost wagon, slaughtering everyone aboard.
Old Oilpalm is pretty much empty now, with two more dwarves dying to goblins... But one Stonecrafter named Iton, who actually should have been assigned to live in New Oilpalm if he hadn't slipped through the cracks, happened to be wandering along and decided to take a few pot-shots at the invaders.
He ended up killing/incapacitating a couple before going to get a drink and nap. Hopefully the survivors don't murder him in his sleep...

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24434 on: July 27, 2012, 05:53:28 pm »

In my latest fort Goldinches,  I have completely reversed my belief on keas, perhaps only temporarily.  Currently keas invade my fort about twice a year.  Unfortunately for them, they find that both my above ground stockpiles have a GCS protecting the loot.  So instead of harassing me with messages of stealing all my precious stone blocks, I have a free and rapidly growing silk industry.
Pages: 1 ... 1627 1628 [1629] 1630 1631 ... 3842