Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1622 1623 [1624] 1625 1626 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120878 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24345 on: July 21, 2012, 07:40:35 am »

Consider a dedicated team of haulers (3-5).

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24346 on: July 21, 2012, 08:37:07 am »

I need more like 20 food haulers to keep up with the non-stop cooking, the 2 legendary planters, the two dozen nest boxes, and the mass amounts of meat/fish/cheese/eggs that get imported.  (It's slowly getting better, I have something like 10-15 food-only haulers now.)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24347 on: July 21, 2012, 08:58:39 am »

First post in nearly two years.

Oh man, that is impressive! ;D Very, very nice. I can only imagine all the tales of dwarven stupidity valour that echo through such a monument.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:32:38 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24348 on: July 21, 2012, 09:03:46 am »

I... actually..... feel for them.... God help me.
Those were fine stratagems. I'd only add that you should probably add a side entrance or two, so you can sneak out some Dwarves to attack from behind with the support of Marksdwarves.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24349 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:02 am »

First post in nearly two years.

Oh man, that is impressive! ;D Very, very nice. I can only imagine all the tales of dwarven stupidity valour that echo through such a monument.

Thank you. ;) I am yet undecided wether to cover the building in steel as originally planned or just smooth the surfaces. Steel-plating it will be extremely expensive, and I'm rather certain I don't have enough ores to cover it completely. My stocks say I have 830 bars of steel and another 1300+ bars of iron, but I'll need a gargantuan, battle-hardened, superbly-equipped army if I'm to see this plan to its end. Hm, might need some calculation.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24350 on: July 21, 2012, 12:01:31 pm »

Oh god. The plague of undead louse and thrips man body parts has begun. Hopefully my axedorf will dice them into something small enough that it can't reanimate soon, or  kill them on the good half of the map. Once I get a butchers shop going, we'll have mountains of bones to sort through.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24351 on: July 21, 2012, 02:04:40 pm »

A weaver has died fropm thirst due to no silk this despite the caverns being opened! and my mayor running about killing suff with a laison guy folling him up,down, and eveywhere.

Caverens were definetly opened as my jeweler, a teen and migriant gust got killed. Jewler died from being in head lock. Then the trogs name the mistake of meeting the farmers who pucned their brains in for no damage.

mining slade is on hold as seems its not in right place to pull the mining trick off.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24352 on: July 21, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These ravens got pretty close. You can't see, but just beyond the ditch stands on the battlements three elite marksdwarves, who held the ravens off until the other three military squads (seen above) could finish off the stragglers.
They got pretty close to getting over the walls this time. One made it three tiles away from the fortifications before being downed by two bolts.
Good news, most of the bolts were fired into the air and so are recoverable and'll probably be melted down into coins or something.
Bad news, moving the raven corpses is probably going to take some time. And they all landed on the evil side of the biome :/
I have half the inclination to just dump them onto the neutral biome instead of risking having them come back to life on the way to the raven stockpile.

Damn ravens.

xEdit
And of course, once I'm done with that an undead Kakapo interrupts over a dozen fortification jobs. WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING FROM, YOU'RE ALL ARMED FFS
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:45:19 pm by Loud Whispers »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24353 on: July 21, 2012, 05:02:11 pm »

I'm currently trying to clean up my fort within acceptable bounds. My main problem is all the corpses and related content that is sitting outside my fort. You'd think the dozens of goblin, kobold, and human corpses leading up to my door would discourage ambushers, but alas they somehow think that this just means we're worth the trouble? To be fair, the human corpse wasn't an attacker, but a merchant who died before my few legendary militia dwarves slaughtered the opposotion.

Anyways, I found out I also have a large excess of dogs and cats roaming around. I'm currently putting them all in cages for slaughtering, but the cats roaming outside the walls are presenting a slight danger.

The only other thing that's goin on in my fort comes down to waiting. I'm trying to get two of my lovers to get married and have kids. They're my two most highly skilled siege dwarves, but they're not socializing enough right now. All the dwarves are talking about these lovebirds, but it's one of thise high-drama warrior relationships. Sigh. Other things I'm waiting for:
- my tailor to heal from his fractured elbow
- my dwarven children to grow up and become useful citizens. Note, one of them has become a legendary crutch walker in the meantime.
- my two active dwarves to become legendary in all currently used combat skills. They're slacking on wrestling skills and armor using.

Edit: I just figured out the goblin's fascination of my little hole in the hill. They saw how easily we slaughtered the ambushers, and assume that we must be made from better stock, able to defend them from enemies or something. We slaughtered a couple of other ambush squads, but they made off with one of our children!

Avuz Abodkikrost, you will be missed, and you will be avenged.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:15:18 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24354 on: July 21, 2012, 05:25:59 pm »

3rd goblin siege showed up, right on the heels of the human caravan. This marks the 3rd time caravans have been raided before they got to my depot, and the first and second titan attack.  The titans thinned the 130+ unit siege by 20 or so before dying.

The trap corridor was finished as the titans invaded. Rows of cage traps for training, then menacing spike traps for the survivors of the cage traps.

The 4-dwarf military decided to rush out the entrance to the trap area to pick up some shiny steel gear dropped by the human merchants. They ran right into 4 squads of goblins, each well equipped and experienced. I had no hope for the lone dwarves, and prepared to close the emergency exit.

In a cloud of arrows, blood and flying severed limbs, the goblins vanished into the darkness. A few minutes later, the 4 dwarves walked back into their barracks with grins on their faces and covered in blood. Not a single injury was seen on them.

The goblin siege fled after this, and the victims of the cage traps are being sorted and we have yet to decide what to do with them. Maybe a drop of death, or arena combat...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24355 on: July 21, 2012, 06:20:16 pm »

Spring 1059, the elves have sent yet another caravan.  Even after the last 7 were butchered horribly by goblin ambushes.  Most fortunate for them, the trade depot has finally been moved within the safety of the defenses as the first wagon route has been created.

Note that we do not guarantee the safety of them once they choose to leave our fine fortress.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24356 on: July 21, 2012, 06:24:16 pm »

Ugh, I've been trying to get a fort to work in this terrifying desert/wild mountain biome.  This is the third so far too fall, and I had just breached the caverns with a ramp pit I was having fun making for the first time, then a single Giant Hamster Corpse decides to run through my hatches and murder half the fortress before running off and leaving me too deal with about 6 undead dwarves now holding my major storeroom while the rest were burrowed deeper underground.  No military, no food, no builders.  I toyed with the idea of getting them too survive underground for a while, but abandoned it in some spur of the moment fury.

I'm starting to run out of places to embark in the desert

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24357 on: July 21, 2012, 07:16:49 pm »

Ugh, I've been trying to get a fort to work in this terrifying desert/wild mountain biome.  This is the third so far too fall, and I had just breached the caverns with a ramp pit I was having fun making for the first time, then a single Giant Hamster Corpse decides to run through my hatches and murder half the fortress before running off and leaving me too deal with about 6 undead dwarves now holding my major storeroom while the rest were burrowed deeper underground.  No military, no food, no builders.  I toyed with the idea of getting them too survive underground for a while, but abandoned it in some spur of the moment fury.

Did you send any militia against the hamtaro corpse?

My poke-the-caverns-and-get-corpse-murdered experience was with a Cave Crocodile Corpse.
My 3 militia were fully armored, but the mail shirts didn't stop the CCC from ripping of their arms.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24358 on: July 21, 2012, 07:19:57 pm »

I hate necromancer. That is all.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24359 on: July 21, 2012, 07:48:12 pm »

I recently buried one of the original members of my fort in the center of a 7x7 (7's a lucky number.) tomb with statues at the entrance to honor him. I can't remember what I am honoring him for, however. I think it had something to do with the fact that he was the first to die and that his sacrifice should be remembered by the others. Now, I'm in the process of building offices for my nobles, but I'm thinking about stationing guards and placing weapon traps inside the tomb to protect the corpse. Yay or nay? 
Pages: 1 ... 1622 1623 [1624] 1625 1626 ... 3842