Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1623 1624 [1625] 1626 1627 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120352 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24360 on: July 21, 2012, 07:50:28 pm »

Yay.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24361 on: July 21, 2012, 07:59:51 pm »

Ugh, I've been trying to get a fort to work in this terrifying desert/wild mountain biome.  This is the third so far too fall, and I had just breached the caverns with a ramp pit I was having fun making for the first time, then a single Giant Hamster Corpse decides to run through my hatches and murder half the fortress before running off and leaving me too deal with about 6 undead dwarves now holding my major storeroom while the rest were burrowed deeper underground.  No military, no food, no builders.  I toyed with the idea of getting them too survive underground for a while, but abandoned it in some spur of the moment fury.

Did you send any militia against the hamtaro corpse?

My poke-the-caverns-and-get-corpse-murdered experience was with a Cave Crocodile Corpse.
My 3 militia were fully armored, but the mail shirts didn't stop the CCC from ripping of their arms.

He massacred my one military dwarf (it hadn't even been half a year, I was still preparing for my first caravan to swing by) then a few others, and then my remaining dwarves were utterly cut off from reaching any weapons or any sort of armor; drafting some militia would have been suicide.  My plan was burrowing all my dwarves inside the caverns on the other side of a bunch of cage traps and hoping the hamster chased them until being caught himself, but he just ran off and left me with a bunch of undead.  Really my mistake was not massing cage traps around my entrance until I had better defenses, but the constant rain of vile muck kept me from letting my dwarves out too often.  I was just about to start roofing my walls too.

edit: he also didn't come from the caverns, but above ground. tbh Ive never seen undead in the caverns, which is rather disappointing. My worlds seem to prefer massive swarms of undead bugs/birds/bugs/birds/bugs/birds/AAAAGGGGGHHHHH

BUT I've genned a whole new world so all is well.  Found an interesting desert/mountain/badlands mix.  The badlands are haunted, and absolutely filled to the brim with dense wormy tendrils/eyeball stalks.  They're seriously everywhere.  I'm not even sure if anything can path through the mess.  It's awesome.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:10:56 pm by theprofessor! »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24362 on: July 21, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »

edit: he also didn't come from the caverns, but above ground. tbh Ive never seen undead in the caverns, which is rather disappointing. My worlds seem to prefer massive swarms of undead bugs/birds/bugs/birds/bugs/birds/AAAAGGGGGHHHHH

BUT I've genned a whole new world so all is well.  Found an interesting desert/mountain/badlands mix.  The badlands are haunted, and absolutely filled to the brim with dense wormy tendrils/eyeball stalks.  They're seriously everywhere.  I'm not even sure if anything can path through the mess.  It's awesome.

...  ZzarkLinux cancels watch movie: checking sig for fort histories  ...

Oh, well mine was a "live croc" after all, so I guess you're right (undead must've ate my brains)
But my croc died near the unfinished garbage processor, and then became a CCC

What do tendrils do? I've never lived long in a creepy-biome so I'm clueless.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24363 on: July 21, 2012, 08:50:48 pm »

Ask google, they may have a few ideas, :P.

I belive they have pierce attacks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24364 on: July 21, 2012, 08:52:56 pm »

Ask google, they may have a few ideas, :P.

I belive they have pierce attacks.

That's the worst joke ever. Of all time. Period.

Just imagine grass that looks like earthworms.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24365 on: July 21, 2012, 09:09:43 pm »

^Yea from what I've gathered it's harmless

I'm not sure if recent updates have changed anything about them though, just seems to be interesting plant life but seriously it's everywhere.  here I uploaded a local image
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's the big purple section in the top right if you couldn't fucking tell

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24366 on: July 21, 2012, 09:11:00 pm »

Mother of god.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24367 on: July 21, 2012, 09:18:07 pm »

You should see them in motion.  Just a massive sea of squirming tendrils and blinking eyes

EDIT: Also, they appear to be.. growing.  Quickly.  I've only just mined out one room and a small hallway, into the clay just beneath the massive eyeball forest, and already 3 staring eyeballs and 1 patch of wormy tendrils have appeared over the clay I first mined into.

Hoping they're still harmless in the chance I can grow an insane fortress of living eyeball stalks and dwarves
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:29:56 pm by theprofessor! »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24368 on: July 21, 2012, 09:19:39 pm »

I've seen it before, but not in a long time.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24369 on: July 21, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »

UPDATE- The dam holding back the river has failed due to substandard construction materials and techniques. Yeah... That's right. It had nothing to do with me being bored and telling my slaves to deconstruct it...

For the record, I built the fortress in the area where the river would normally be, if you catch my drift... I'm trying to build screw pumps to see if I can save the fort (for science?). Wish me luck.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24370 on: July 21, 2012, 10:35:25 pm »

UPDATE- The dam holding back the river has failed due to substandard construction materials and techniques.
That sounds so soviet. Good job.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24371 on: July 21, 2012, 10:52:42 pm »

I realised that I should be setting the minecarts to 'push' and not 'ride' when testing how many track stops it takes to decelerate a minecart. But I have a figure to aim for now -- one tile every 4 to 5 ticks is a safe speed for gap-jumping.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24372 on: July 21, 2012, 10:56:48 pm »

UPDATE- The dam holding back the river has failed due to substandard construction materials and techniques.
That sounds so soviet. Good job.

Urist McLeader- Urist McSlave, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Mountainhomes and your ancestors, if you seek riches, migrate to this fortress. Mr. McSlave, grab your tools. Mr. McSlave, Mr. McSlave, tear down this wall!

Urist McSlave (after deconstructing wall)- Oh shit!!! Why did I listen to that guy?

EDIT- I didn't realize it while I was typing that, but my "pump the water out of the fort" idea worked. Now, I just have to drain said water from the lower z levels. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:02:00 pm by DwarfMeister »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24373 on: July 22, 2012, 12:17:54 am »

An Ettin is playing peek-a-boo with a sniper roost.  I've got 30 activated marksdwarfs rotating between 3 - 1x1 burrows.  Hope this Ettin makes a break for it before the Human merchants start going berserk.  But until then, I'm content taking potshots at him.  Gonna have to do something substantial, once I run out of wood.  I've been making lots of barrels and bins, to compensate for this hauling debacle and my own minecart stupidity.  I just can't figure this minecart business out.  A ballista is now set, over the back door, goblin-grinder, here's hoping for some activity there, sometime soon, to use it. 

This fortress is now going into its 9th year, roughly 180 souls strong.  I'm gonna have to build a new floor, just for engraved slabs soon.  Built the 3 for the embark wagon, and 2 for the bulls.  That was a little awkward.  Have a ton more, for the goblins.  Finding out the hard way what happens when a player puts dump on corpses from within the stockpile list, that have been put in burial receptacles.  Exhumed!  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24374 on: July 22, 2012, 12:53:10 am »

An extended lull in Skullsgate.  No goblin sieges in three years.  Two goblin ambushes and a few thieves is all.  Plus the annoying kobolds - who have discovered that the sniper post with elite marksdwarves over the postern gate is rather deadly.  A few more minotaurs have appeared (making three so far); one obliterated by a weapon trap near the main entrance tunnel; the other went for the postern gate and got fletched by the marksdwarves.  The Captain of the Guard has named his steel crossbow, and it has a titan and a minotaur to its credit.

The nice thing from the goblin ambush was watching the worker who was ambushed out run the goblins, and also use his sword and shield to deflect the few attacks he faced before a couple of stand-by squads turned up and mulched the goblins.

A minecart track was put in for testing and moving flux stone and lignite to the smelters.  An initial track was too twisty and slow, but a revised one has worked well - including running over a dwarven child who ignored traffic restrictions.  At least he is providing practice for the medical team.

The main entrance area now has a separate melee barrack partway down the tunnel for quick response.  And that in turn connects to a new marksdwarf bunker erected at the intersection of the east and north roads where the river is bridge.  Which overlooks the tunnel entrance as well.  Two small, but experienced, marksdwarf units are barracked there with their own archery range, small dining hall, and dormitory.

Dog population topped out as well as the caged cat population.  The "new" preferred war animal is war trained giant hyenas (thanks to the elves bringing a breeding pair).  An upgrade to the tunnel guard might prevent having dogs knifed by kobolds who get past the initial guard animals.

Otherwise, most effort right now is towards preparing to mothball the fortress and move on.  Excess materials are being traded off or moved into special storage.  The militia is pretty well trained, and also has full sets of bronze or steel armor available to them.  Almost time to put them back into the civilization population for future migrant waves.   
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: 1 ... 1623 1624 [1625] 1626 1627 ... 3842