Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1621 1622 [1623] 1624 1625 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120359 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24330 on: July 20, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »

Oh. Hmm. Well, I've only seen dwarves with two former memberships tops. I can't really be bothered scanning them all, since I doubt Oilpalm is going to last much longer anyway. :P

On that note, the floor two levels down from the dining room appears to be carpeted with creamy dwarf pate. Yum.

E: Oh, it's starting to stink.  :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24331 on: July 20, 2012, 08:37:32 pm »

Hmm. My conscript hammerdwarf has lost his hand in a valiant battle against the giant crow corpses, after which my axedwarf sliced through the rest of them like butter. However, by the time he got back to the fort, his only health problem was "ability to grasp slightly impaired" with his left hand. Miraculous healing powers, these dwarves have. Meanwhile, Iton managed to kill the zombie skunk man threat in the only area of evil biome on the secure half of the map, and now there are twenty odd body parts running around that he has to kill. Oh well, more XP can't hurt. Compared to Urdim, our hammerdwarf, Iton has escaped his 20 odd kills so far completely unscathed.
Finally got my axedorf into his steel kit. However, he seems to be ignoring half of his armor. It has a checkmark in the military screen, but it's just collecting dust in my forge.  :'( Otherwise, we've begun excavation of the fort to be, and started to move goods into the stockpiles there.
Try changing him to wear his uniform instead of clothing (replaces), as wearing it over clothing sometimes means they don't have the "room" for some items due to what they already have on.
Thanks for the tip, but it didn't seem to work, unfortunately.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #24332 on: July 20, 2012, 11:56:06 pm »

My third for ever is going ok.

Had some misfortunes though. After a minor goblin ambush there was some sort of accident with the ruturning wounded. I think someone fainted on a stonefall trap in a crowded corridor. It caused a cascade of fainting and more trap triggers.

Then the "Diety" diplomat started wandering around...and all my cats started suffocating...then dwarves. It took me a while to figure out that not everyone could have possibly been wounded by the traps.

I think the thing has some sort of noxious gas or liquid coming off him.

I eventually managed to trap him in a secondary entrance corridor. Between the trap debacle and him I lost something like 40 dwarves.

I tossed some gray languars and goblin prisonsers in there with him and he tore them to bits...I think next invasion I'm going to pull my dwarves back into the burrows and let him out to greet the invaders.

If he survives and tries to come back in...well i've been training a ballista crew for about 2 years now, and they're set up to fire straight down the main entrance corridor.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24333 on: July 21, 2012, 12:07:02 am »

I've just discovered that the massive magnetite, flux, lignite and bitinumous coal deposit also has clusters of rubies, sapphires, and native aluminum, as well as possible platnium. And this is one z-level from half our metal industry.

I need to figure out which Dwarven God put this here and what he wants sacrificed to him/her.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #24334 on: July 21, 2012, 12:22:26 am »

I've just discovered that the massive magnetite, flux, lignite and bitinumous coal deposit also has clusters of rubies, sapphires, and native aluminum, as well as possible platnium. And this is one z-level from half our metal industry.

I need to figure out which Dwarven God put this here and what he wants sacrificed to him/her.

Blood for the blood god.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24335 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:57 am »

Today, well,apart from a zombie apoc which I savescummed from, my military suffered its first casualties in war......

After a battle with forgotten beast which brave Lor suffered some minor injuries from, having played tag throughout the entire battle against a six legged dinosaur while the rest of her brave comrades hacked it to pieces, a vile force of darkness descended upon my fort.

As my dwarves recuperated, my crossbows flamed the winter wind, trusting to fortifications and armour to protect them from the lone elite crossbow gobbo the scum brought. Yet, that elite was my downbringing, in an odd way. Venturing into my gate, he got stuck in a cagetrap, leaving an entire squad of goblin spears isolated from my crossbow fire.

Thus, I sent in a single dorf near the gate, as a civilian, she promptly panicked and ran away, luring one speargobbo. A Han solo on the Death Star moment erupted, as after pursuing my dwarf through the Trade Depot, it saw two squads of meelee dwarves rush in to cut it off from escape. Then, tragedy struck. The gobbo was agile enough to run away from my ambush, and in a panic, I attempted to seal off my fort...... My dwarves were fast that day. Two dwarves made it across the bridge into the squad of speargobbos, along with attracking the attention of two other elite goblins, and remmants of their squads.... The third..... well, he slipped and fell when the bridge retracted, falling one z level, hitting his skull and dying instantly. R.I.P militia.

The remainding two dwarves were instantly outnumbered. Yet, did they fear? Nay. They were dwarves! They would protect the younglings with their lives. My militia commander and Lor, recently recuperated from the battle against a FB struck out. Predictably, Lor, having impaired grasp soon lost her grip on her shield and axe..... Dying after being pierced multiple times in battle. She leaves behind an ectastatic child, a content husband, a child not yet in the fort and many grieving friends.

My militia commander was shocked at the loss of her long time companion. She promptly opened up a case of whoopass on everyone else, blocking strikes, ignoring glancing blows, even minor cuts that went past her guard.........

She didn't kill many goblins that day. They were too well protected. But she did main enough, and killed enough, that they all retreated after the grand meelee. Especially after the bridge was opened and the rest of the squads jumped in.

It was not enough to save the life of another rookie speardwarf named Reggie, who leaves behind more grieving friends than family.

Wow.... This is the first time I played a fort where my military wasn't danger-room trained, was semi-effective in meelee even though they were outfitted in mostly iron armour/weapons, and I deliberately exposed them to danger....

It hurts to see those faces lying there in the mud, surrounded by debris........ I don't know what to do with those faces. My military tombs weren't set up yet, although my grand manuelosom had begun its construction process. But I don't have the well crafted tombs that were meant to be in there.

The only thing I had was a common cemetary, where I had been burying the traders, a dwarf or two who died from infection/ambush and giving a decent burial to the huge dwarven zombies who besieged my fort.......

I... actually..... feel for them.... God help me.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:23:02 am by PainRack »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24336 on: July 21, 2012, 02:19:22 am »

Rioting everywhere. Dwarves are mad about the dining room incident, and they take it out upon each other.
Oilpalms has pretty much devolved into an all-out free-for-all melee.
A jeweler just beat down the captain of the guard, only for a stoneworker to break both their hands.

I'm abandoning the old fort, and its inhabitants. I am building a new settlement for the newest arrivals, to keep the madness contained to the old one. Just need to get a wall up...

E: Dear gods, they're throwing corpses at each other.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:21:34 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24337 on: July 21, 2012, 02:25:25 am »

Rioting everywhere. Dwarves are mad about the dining room incident, and they take it out upon each other.
Oilpalms has pretty much devolved into an all-out free-for-all melee.
A jeweler just beat down the captain of the guard, only for a stoneworker to break both their hands.

I'm abandoning the old fort, and its inhabitants. I am building a new settlement for the newest arrivals, to keep the madness contained to the old one. Just need to get a wall up...

E: Dear gods, they're throwing corpses at each other.
Woah.............

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24338 on: July 21, 2012, 02:34:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No! How could you do that to a-- Ugh. That does it. I don't even know what's going on around here anymore.
The wall's nearly complete!

...Oh, another stonecrafter just killed a dwarf by punching his chest through his heart. And then killed another with a facepunch.
And now that jeweler is going berserk... I'm glad both her hands are broken. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24339 on: July 21, 2012, 02:36:20 am »

-double riot post-

Reminds me of my old fort Tomechant in 40d :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24340 on: July 21, 2012, 02:50:53 am »

First post in nearly two years.

After two years of being too busy to play dwarf fortress, I've returned to the project I've been dreaming of back then when I still was active in the forums, of building my most favorite tower in all fiction out of cast obsidian. It took me a long time (and a lot of dwarven lives lost) to build it, but by Armok I presisted, reclaiming the area three times, until I eventually completed the scaffolding, the mold, and the pipe stacks. Then I survived five forgotten beast attacks and a generation's worth of sieges (the dwarven babies orphanned in the early days of the third reclaim grew into militia captains and got killed in battle, and their orphans are now growing up) while slowly casting the obsidian pillar from Z-90 to Z+140 (the higest z-level on the embark); the newly developed 3-tile magma pump stack I read in the wiki helped greatly; otherwise the cast wouldn't be yet complete.

Finally, after all that toil, sweat, and blood, the pillar is completed. I had all my military dwarves and my cadre of nobles watch while the lever was pulled, destroying the scaffolding and mold in one great fall and revealing the pillar for carving. The king himself arrived just last year, and I gave him the seat of honor above even the initial seven, whom are all alive. I was careful not to allow any of the spectators get caught in the cave-in dust, and fortunately my calculations proved prudent.

It was magnificent.

Image of the pillar's great reveal, taken with stonesense.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:55:10 am by meto30 »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24341 on: July 21, 2012, 02:51:27 am »

<snip>
Wow.... This is the first time I played a fort where my military wasn't danger-room trained, was semi-effective in meelee even though they were outfitted in mostly iron armour/weapons, and I deliberately exposed them to danger....

It hurts to see those faces lying there in the mud, surrounded by debris........ I don't know what to do with those faces. My military tombs weren't set up yet, although my grand manuelosom had begun its construction process. But I don't have the well crafted tombs that were meant to be in there.

The only thing I had was a common cemetary, where I had been burying the traders, a dwarf or two who died from infection/ambush and giving a decent burial to the huge dwarven zombies who besieged my fort.......

I... actually..... feel for them.... God help me.

And now you'll never use danger rooms again. Welcome to Dwarf Fortress: Emotion Mode.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24342 on: July 21, 2012, 03:05:46 am »

Happily battering away at my current fortress, getting things figured out and cloth and plants and farming and I've finally gotten the walls and moat up.  I've even double-fortressed so I have a protected cavern entrance that I can seal off with another bridge.  All's well in dwarf-world.

The Marksdwarves are having ammo issues but that's nothing new.  I recently started setting up a cart-path so I can speed-dump bones and skulls down to the crafting level from the surface, but I'm having a bit of an argument with ramps, so that's on hold...

Oh, an announcement, what's this?  A... oh gods, a Bronze Colossus bent on mayhem!  on the Surface?  Sweet!  Lock up the bridges!  Everyone to the Civilian alert zones!  Go drink and be merry, we'll laugh as he... wait.

Oh crap.  I never... crap.  I mined UNDER the bridges, I didn't channel under them.  Oh gods.

Two teams of Marksdwarves (I have almost NO metal on this embark) are now fruitlessly battling the colossus in the fields outside the fort.  I'm simply going to leave the bridges down.  This should be hysterical.  This USED to be an awesome map... well, until that whole metals thing really fouled me up, anyway.

Let's see what happens!

Edit: Oh gods, this is funny.  My one Legendary Marksdwarf, Kol Salvesinge the Wayward Crucifixion of Rapidity (he can call himself whatever he likes) just got tossed back through the gate.  What's he doing?  Getting Equipment!

On further note, this is funny:

The Bronze Colussus strikes The Marksdwarf in the head with its (impala leather cap), bruising the muscle through the (cave spider hood).

I have five pages of this occuring.  This Colussus is basically headbutting one of my dwarves to death, and doing it BADLY.  Mind you, most of the rest of the military are dead at this point... *grabs more popcorn*.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24343 on: July 21, 2012, 05:00:46 am »

It's not headbutting, it's literally striking him with a cap it's holding in its hand.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24344 on: July 21, 2012, 06:26:27 am »

I'm doing a slow-but-steady fort growth this time around for Alathorrun ("Boltsroars").  Started with a pop-cap of 20 (with children set to 30/10%) and have been raising the pop-limit by 10 each year, or when I'm ready for more.  Now up to a limit of 70 in 1056 (settled in 1051).

The militia is now (4) squads in strength, so 2/3 of all dwarves belong to the militia.  Miners, woodcutters, hunters and health workers have been exempted from this duty.  The civilians regularly go up to the archery range, with its four targets, to practice and the range is a standard bolt-saving design with a wall behind the targets and an open drop to the Z-level below between each target.  (Most easily done by putting the targets on narrow catwalks that run the length of the room.  Some bolts fall up to 3 tiles short of the target.)

The elves have not yet declared war on us, even though their caravans have been ambushed by goblins for five years in a row.  Our trade depot is just outside the main gates and we have not yet had time to lock down the surface with walls as our duke keeps demanding new things for his quarters.

Trade is brisk, but I never have enough food / item haulers.  So the stone blocks sit, gathering dust, in the mason shops instead of making it to the stockpile staging points for construction.  And I'm constantly having issues with food rotting in the fields, the butcher shop, or in the kitchen.  (This is mostly self inflicted as I buy 2500-3500 units of meat/fish/cheese/eggs off the dwarven caravan.  No danger of my 65 dwarves starving, just a bit of food waste going on.)
Pages: 1 ... 1621 1622 [1623] 1624 1625 ... 3842