Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1534 1535 [1536] 1537 1538 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098903 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #23025 on: May 21, 2012, 10:23:11 am »

Axe squad finally entered the demon temple, but it was empty, since all the skeletons and
zombies wandered off the map. They simply couldn't wait 10 years for me to make a fully armoured adamantine squad.

You'd think immortal undead would have patience  ::) So inconsiderate !
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23026 on: May 21, 2012, 11:53:51 am »

The camp went down kicking and screaming
Drafted everybold, stationed them in the dining room, and opened the doors.
The result was a massacre, and the survivors all being too injured to help eachother or pitching a fit.

1 tundra titan dead, thanks to the goblins, and any goblin survivors who left were the only witnesses to the battle.

EDIT: New fort on the latest release, decided to make me an ice fort on a normal glacier before moving onto harder stuff.

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23027 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:13 pm »

THE CHRONICLES OF FIRSTFORTUNE, Pt. II

The Crow Men returned in greater numbers. While they ignored us before, they have begun to interfere with our work. I appointed Tobul as our official Militia Commander, and he brought Cerol and Feb with him to drive them back. It was at this point we remembered the Crow Men could fly. After the three of them stood around for a while, hoping one would land so they could kill it, I gave the order for them to stand down.

On the 4th of Malachite, we got our first group of migrants. By some morbid humor, the wood-and-metal crafter was named Obok. There was also Tun, a damn fish dissector, and Sigun, who at least knew how to butcher livestock. Cilob, Cog, and Oddom were all weaponsmiths, which would be fine if we had anything to make weapons with. I suppose we might be grateful someday, but for now, they're just more mouths to feed... and apparently we'll be eating fish.

In some more somber news, Obok's memorial has been finished. It mentions her favorite color was chartreuse, and Cerol insisted on engraving an image of some dwarves in yellow spessartine. We put it in the middle of the hallway where everyone could see it, and it's actually quite nice.

--Mezbuth Swordtrammeled, expedition leader

ydaraishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23028 on: May 21, 2012, 05:03:58 pm »

Embarking on another hybrid good/evil biome (I seem to be fond of those lately) with enthralling vapours on the evil side.  At the same time I'm testing a modded good biome that resurrects dead people (as in, actually bring them to full life).  Hopefully it won't resurrect dead thralls, if I've done it right.  If it does, well...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23029 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:56 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

21) Tranquility in Terrifying
22) Forgotten Beasts on the Rack

Got an engraver as a migrant earlier. So he is smoothing my hexes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My jeweler finally gets around to cutting one of the Rock Crystals that I freed for my moody miner.

In the meantime, I notice that above ground is rather pleasant.
I guess the Pond Grabber down below is blocking other "wildlife" from appearing.

Here is the progress I have made on the surface.
I am cutting some more trees to get some soap, and I' still building my next ... thing.

And here is my workshop area.
I have been cooking, silking, and weaving in this area. Even made some Quarry Bush Biscuts.
Note that the moody miner isn't here, he's in a mason's shop up near the northern migrant tubes.

... And after he gets one Rock Crystal, he sits.
I guess he wants another.
Well, I only found 2 earlier, so the second had better be enough for him.
Would've been easier if she just demanded silk.

Hurray
After getting the second Rock Crystal, Dokoro proceeds to make a claystone armor stand worth 7200 DorfBucks
It is encrusted with Rock Crystal and has an image of forgotten beasts in Rock Crystal. It will go in my dining room.
Dokoro was quite pleased with making an artifact recently

The summer migrants have arrived, so I close with a screencap of my construction zone.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:57:31 pm by ZzarkLinux »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23030 on: May 21, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »

I learned that volcanos at embark level plus dense dry grass?  That leads to seasonal grass fires across the entire surface, yep.

How?  Oh, fire imps & magma crabs.  Huzzah.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23031 on: May 21, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »

Embarked on a volcano with a few custom things and a few lower-end Fort Defense races. I did !!SCIENCE!! in that it seems precious metal ores have higher drop rate. Made a depot, gat, and rserving a block to make a well from petrified wood blocks, and forges of chromite blocks. Ores seem to abound, but almost all of what's been extracted is gold and galena, both bearing precious metals (as you all know, galena bears sweet silver) And as the RNG seems to enjoy screwing me with ores, I'm wary to try and extract the tetrahedrite and hematite.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23032 on: May 22, 2012, 04:32:11 am »

I learned that volcanos at embark level plus dense dry grass?  That leads to seasonal grass fires across the entire surface, yep.

How?  Oh, fire imps & magma crabs.  Huzzah.
Entrance bridge over a volcano:
Cool? Armok, yes! Nothing says "evil overlord" like a fortress entrance above a bubbling cauldron of boiling magma.

Useful? Not so much, says a ‼merchant‼ and his ‼wagon‼, after starting the mother of all bush fires...

Yeah, fucking magma crabs.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23033 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:34 am »

A dwarf wagon caravan made it to the fortress ! I sold them about 3 years worth of trash.
Now I will finally find out if they are able to use my ramp escape route trough the cavern.
Trading has finished and they have left on the journey...that was 30 min ago...they're still sitting at the depot.
Tension mounts...will they leave ? will they go insane ? will I go insane ?
Stay tuned...
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23034 on: May 22, 2012, 08:05:33 am »

So with another new version and not being entirely happy with my current fort's design, I was wondering if I should abandon Carnaltools to start a new fort or carry on.

The game thought it would help my decision a little...

Almost immediately after loading, a Titan appears and begins heading towards my fort. It's a green glass quadruped with webs - which is not a good sign, since my military comprises wooden bolt-equipped marksdwarves and the fort design is rather more open-plan than is perhaps sensible.

Needless to say there was a lot of death and tantrums, but the fort's population mostly survived, while the Titan crawled underneath my access bridges and hid there.

Then the goblin sieges arrive. They proceed to start killing everything they see, and the Titan pops out to attack them. A Goblin swordsman finally finished the creature off by biting it in half (must have had some dwarven ancestry there) and the goblilns then maraud into the fortress and proceed to murder almost everyone. I realise towards the end of this that I walled in a vampire and decided to give him his freedom, if he can survive the 60 or so goblins and trolls in the area.

The remaining dwarves are one-by-one slain, until finally the title of Mayor of Carnaltools passes to the vampire, since he's now the only survivor. After some considerable time spent chasing the mayor around the lakeside, the goblins finally land a blow that knocks him to the floor, where he is slain.

So it seems I will need to start a new fortress anyway. :p

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23035 on: May 22, 2012, 08:59:30 am »

Three babies have been kidnapped, that means that a goblin walked up to a Dwarf and took the baby out of it's arms  without it noticing. Dwarves, OPEN YOUR FUCKING EYES!
« Reply #23036 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:53 am »

I just finished my torture chamber. Anyone locked in there will be BEGGING for the Hammerer to deal them justice instead.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23037 on: May 22, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »

Just finished building 2 towers and a roof over my entrance... shortly after I discover that the "Wicked Smoke" that plague this mountain is completely harmless. >:(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23038 on: May 22, 2012, 12:27:03 pm »

Three babies have been kidnapped, that means that a goblin walked up to a Dwarf and took the baby out of it's arms  without it noticing. Dwarves, OPEN YOUR FUCKING EYES!
It's been three years in and I've seen no snatchers. I've found an ambush, but no snatchers. I'm convinced now that along with a Kobold ambush, all have been killed by the local undead fauna without me noticing.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23039 on: May 22, 2012, 01:02:12 pm »

Making an enormous water tower so I can refill the moat more quickly.  It may instead flood a quadrant of the map, I'm not sure.  Either is acceptable.
Pages: 1 ... 1534 1535 [1536] 1537 1538 ... 3842