Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1536 1537 [1538] 1539 1540 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098894 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #23055 on: May 23, 2012, 09:06:59 am »

"Diedaggers" got it's King.

And then it got a caravan.

The whole point of getting the monarch was to PREVENT the freaking caravans!  To hell with you, it's surface Depot time.  Rot with the goblins, fools!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23056 on: May 23, 2012, 11:01:16 am »

Oh the caravans will still come. Just no liasons. Meaning it'll be random crap they bring along.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23057 on: May 23, 2012, 11:50:28 am »

Cartcannon fired against seigers.  Not as effective as I thought it would be, but I suppose it's good that they won't trivialise things.  The human sized orcs werent large enough to make a sudden stop to create the shotgun effect, with the 16% full one plowing through 2 orcs and an elk bird without even slowing down and without firing it's contents.  No orc casualties, or even wounds short of bruises. 

The elk bird the orc leader was riding on however, got it's leg shattered by the initial hit, flew into a orc, got hit by the same minecart again this time shattering it's other leg, and skidded halfway off the map mostly on it's grey matter.  It did not survive.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #23058 on: May 23, 2012, 12:07:15 pm »

A high master potter and a high master glassmaker have migrated to Cavethrone. The forges, furnaces and kilns are being constructed and we're about to tap the magma sea. Things are certainly looking good down here.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

M_So

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23059 on: May 23, 2012, 01:31:47 pm »

My newest fort has a lovely major river waterfall branching off into a smaller normal river, the lag is deadly but I started in a good spot, also it has iron and flux so I'm going to stick with it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I plans to make a viewing area under it, along with a auto filling water reservoir with a overflow so I will never need to refill it. :)

One death so far, a hunter that thought it was a good idea to dance at the top of the waterfall.
Your fortress lived happily ever after. A winner is you!
Press Enter to close window...

Rinnix

• Bay Watcher
  • astral tit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23060 on: May 23, 2012, 02:14:13 pm »

After maybe a total of 10 goblin ambushes in a row (which got annoying very quickly), there is much goblinite to be harvested.

I have a dwarf manning the wood furnace, albeit making painstakingly-slow progress.

I have recently bothered to fashion together a shoddy reservoir as well as a well.

There are many caged-goblins that I am in possession of. Trying to think of a way to kill them. Perhaps I will use my new reservoir to pump water into a drowning chamber. It is getting annoying seeing them on the unit list.

A baby is crawling around the furnace quarters of the fort. I wonder where her mother is. Best not to think about these things and just get back to work.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23061 on: May 23, 2012, 02:18:50 pm »

Somehow a mason lost both legs, no logs or announcements.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23062 on: May 23, 2012, 02:50:36 pm »

This new fort I have is pretty ok, but the elves suck. They haven't brought me a single animal, not even a cardinal.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23063 on: May 23, 2012, 06:58:50 pm »

This new fort I have is pretty ok, but the elves suck. They haven't brought me a single animal, not even a cardinal.

Did you just insult all cardinals, everywhere?  Beware their pointy beaks!

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23064 on: May 23, 2012, 07:17:45 pm »

Everything was going great in Glowgem, 'MethodMan' my military captain had already got a new recruit to the epic sworddwarf squad I was going to create.

I gave him proficient teacher and sword at embark and he started off with mighty strength, I planned to danger room just him in order to train legions of sworddwarfs...

Then the beastmen I added into the game besieged me, with about 20 dudes... Before the end of year one... Everyone died, although Method did managed to beat one to death; quite swiftly I may add, before it was all over.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23065 on: May 23, 2012, 07:50:01 pm »

"Play Now!" To test the zombifying properties of a sand desert.

Found out the following:

1. It does raise the dead
2. Grasshopper women corpses are fast even when dead
3. Walling in helps tons
4. Raven corpses have no problems killing carp in said dead raising desert.

I love this game.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23066 on: May 23, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »

Galena, Hematite, Marble, and gniess. out the ass. And a little Malachite. Gotta brave three layers of giant middle finger (AKA caverns) if I want magma though. Also need to figure out how to size that damn Phobus tileset, cause absolute base ASCII irritates me (Why masterwork doesn't come with the normal graphics vanilla uses is beyond me...)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23067 on: May 23, 2012, 09:21:30 pm »

Phase 1:
 Broker spies some metal carving knives in the caravan for cheap.
Sweet!  There's no way I'm turning down those armor-piercing, adventurer-bane blades!

Phase 2:
 Mechanic informs me that carving knives are not legitimate weapons to use in traps.

Phase 3:
 Build a trap anyways.  The best part is that it will trigger even for trapavoid creatures.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23068 on: May 23, 2012, 09:51:37 pm »

My most recent fort of Sealcudgels has had quite a very eventful day today. I have:

-For the first time ever, reached and surpassed 100 dorfs. Currently at 114 after a few deaths and about 20 babies getting shat out
-Had my very first seige! A few stonefall traps in the hallway completely repelled it.
-Sent my military to kill a spider-FB wandering around in the basement. It had no way to path to the fort but I wanted it dead. It wiped out my poorly trained military of 6 (I REALLY need to train my military better... Any tips that aren't danger rooms?)
-The game crashed shortly after that so I had to revert back 2-3 weeks. Re-sent the military in and only lost 2 when I killed the FB. Not bad

Sealcudgels is flourishing now. All but about 15 Dorfs have 2x2 bedrooms with a bed, chest, and cabinet (which is getting fixed soon) and I have about 1000 units of booze and prepared meals. Crapload of crafts that continue to be crapped out to dump to the inferior races that trade with me. If I can get a sizable military going (that can actually fight and not just die), then it will be even more glorious when I screw up and ultimately send it to its doom. I should consider starting steal production because all of my gear is iron.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23069 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:25 pm »

(I REALLY need to train my military better... Any tips that aren't danger rooms?)
Should have used cage traps on that siege instead, then you could make an arena to train your militia against captured goblins. Make sure you strip all their weapons, but give them their armour for longer training fights.
Hint: Goblin Elite Anythings make good practice because they have VERY high dodging skills, which allows them to survive VERY long.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 1536 1537 [1538] 1539 1540 ... 3842