Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1530 1531 [1532] 1533 1534 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098204 times)

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22965 on: May 18, 2012, 05:00:34 pm »

Who needs mountain dwarves and hill dwarves? I have hardcore desert dwarves now. At least I won't have to fear glass-loving nobles.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22966 on: May 18, 2012, 05:23:31 pm »

A vampire managed to kill two people before a clothier was accused, beaten, and sealed into an abandoned wing of the hospital. Mere moments from death I discovered he was starving and completely dehydrated. Sure enough when I looked at his accuser I discovered he hadn't had a drink since he'd been in the fortress and he was sent toa chamber designed solely for his punishment. He was sealed into a room filled with water and stabbed with a wooden spike again and again for eleven days until he died of his injuries. The chamber is going to be turned into a well of unlife.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22967 on: May 18, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

My first minecart track has been finished.  A modest little thing built between the depot and the food stockpile to help handle all the meat imports of a full size carnivore fortress.  Not very long but I have been building all my hallways 2 z high as of late, and I have used the extra vertical space to elevate this and all planned future tracks.  I think it is a very safe design that will revolutionize dwarven safety standards for fortresses to come.

The first cart was loaded with meat and pushed on it's way from the depot, a great new sign for a future of efficiency and safety.

VERY shortly after I had my first casualty of my first minecart track.  Seems a mason was taking a stroll along the elevated track. and was knocked off the track and landed on his head, while the food stockpile was shotgunned with various meat products.  At least all the food ended up where it was supposed to go...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22968 on: May 18, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

I'm trying to organize a fort and I soon find that my militia commander drops his equipment, and I forgot how to turn the off-duty uniforms on.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22969 on: May 18, 2012, 09:38:56 pm »

Currently making a minecart track going from just above the first cave to the magma sea. It's taking some time, since I am making it entirely out of brass.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22970 on: May 18, 2012, 10:34:01 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

20) Moar Haulers Moar Gems
21) Tranquility in Terrifying

So there's still no wildlife on the surface, just elves.
And lots of buns too. I slaughter 2 of them.

The above ground construction is going okay. Not sure how it's gonna look yet, but who cares.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My ExpLeader gets around to making breastplates for the military.
And since once of my miners is moody for gems, I dig furiously and find the first caverns.
We are digging down a pillar to reach the floor.

Not a single gem is visible in the caverns either :(
But at least I see some actual cave fish and a pond grabber in non-stagnant water.

I have finally made use of the leather bags I have, so I process some quarry bushes.
Here is my SE workshop area.

Oh, hey, You have struck cryolite.
What a waste of time...

I have released a tame gray squirrel from it's cage.
I got it from the elves.

And finally: You have struck rock crystal
Hurry gem cutters ! Dokoro's waiting for 'em.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:16:58 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #22971 on: May 18, 2012, 11:16:49 pm »

A soldier recently managed to kill a kobold thief by grabbing the knife out of his hands and killing him with it, which was rad. Unfortunatly I underestimated a mountain titan that attacked later on, and sent him on his own (with the silver knife, this fort is low on metal), to attack the titan. It was much much faster then him, and well, now he and three other dwarves are dead.

However, I noticed the new militia commander has 37 something kills from before he arrived at the fort, and like 20 kids. I'll have to look up this guy in legends when this fort inevitably falls.

Annnd I managed to catch a black bear, and realized taming is now a full on thing, rather then "press button, recieve bear", which is neat too.
« Reply #22972 on: May 19, 2012, 05:29:14 am »

I noticed a couple of dead dwarves in a stock pile in the main area of my fort. I thought someone had gone on a murder spree.

Turns out a Cave Crocodile slipped in from the caverns and is wrecking havoc. Time to call in The Tactical Armors!

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22973 on: May 19, 2012, 06:16:09 am »

press button, recieve bear

sigged
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!
« Reply #22974 on: May 19, 2012, 08:44:19 am »

I got bored with Nishmamot and decided to start a new fort with Minecarts in mind.

Barely started, but I see that the two cats I started with are fucking badasses. Both of fallen off a 7 z-level waterfall without being injured and one has killed a bunch of Mole Men all by itself. :O

Oh god... The most terrifying of all aquatic life all over the south side of the river: Giant Sponges D:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:08:00 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22975 on: May 19, 2012, 09:29:28 am »

Today I learned that leaving a giant, gaping hole in one's defences is a bad thing.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22976 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:55 am »

My fortress was attacked by a were-sloth, and for the first time actually managed to kill a hunter and maul another before turning into a serpent woman and leaving.  Usually nothing happens when they appear, this ought to be fun if the surviving hunter got infected.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22977 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:38 am »

It's gonna be a while before I get Doorlongs back into shape, before I can do ANY project beyond basic survival.  I will purge this fort, through berserker rages and insanity.  The weak will die, and the strong will be made into iron through these emotionally devastating times.  Perhaps my military will also go insane, kill everyone, and doom my fort.  Maybe.  But until then, Doorlongs will have to trudge along, surviving, constantly gaining new wounds while simultaneously healing some.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22978 on: May 19, 2012, 10:37:37 am »

Plans to create my first were-civet military squad are underway. The civet is in place, the special containment protocols set, and the squad ready. Just have to wait for all the doors to be moved in, and the full moon to appear.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22979 on: May 19, 2012, 11:27:04 am »

Something just went terribly right wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 1530 1531 [1532] 1533 1534 ... 3842