Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1528 1529 [1530] 1531 1532 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098400 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22935 on: May 17, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »

Well, I moved my 34.07 save to 34.09, and now I have to completely restructure my entire workflow.  I'm making a short minecart track between two of my food stockpiles first, just so I can get the system figured out, and then I'll move on to my other industries.  Problem is, I've kept everything so tightly packed that I have very little room for the tracks.

My eventual plan is to convert my giant, bronze pyramid into a sort of central minecart depot, with raw materials going in, being sorted, and being sent out to their workshops.  Then, finished products are sent back to the pyramid to be sorted and sent to the stockpiles.  I should be able to make it work, but it's going to take a while.  It also won't be the most efficient system, but I think it'll be pretty cool to see this giant pyramid with a constant stream of minecarts going in and out.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22936 on: May 17, 2012, 03:18:18 pm »

First cart track is running.
It's just a very short track that dumps stuff from my surface refuse pile down a chute to a lower recycling plant where bones, shells and skulls are sorted out to be use later.
.. and it all works automatically(!),  :) - best release I've seen.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #22937 on: May 17, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »

Oh, and it's raining explosive puppies in my dining hall.

I recommend giving all the rest to a single soldier, then sending them off into a siege. Great fun for everyone! Except the puppies. They do learn to fly near near the end, though, so there's some consolation.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22938 on: May 17, 2012, 05:37:28 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

19) To the Quarry for You
20) Moar Haulers Moar Gems

Elves arrive to trade. I let dwarves finish clearing the trash-chute of rubble before ordering mugs and flutes to be stuffed in the depot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had enabled Plump-Helmet brewing temporarily, but I forgot to turn it off so we're outta plants.
We have some meat, but from the traders I get berries, lumber, seeds, and a bin of cloth.

Thankfully, no hostiles outside. All the undead are inside.

It is now summer, and I get my first mood. An O7 miner goes secretive and claims a mason's shop.
He gets some stuff, but gets stuck on Gems :(
As you can tell from one of the chapter 19 screenshot, I haven't seen any gems yet...
Miner #2 start digging !!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22939 on: May 17, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »

Axestirred seems to be littered with engravings of an anonymous boogeyman, the symbol of the fortress. Fitting, as we ascend from darkness and slaughter our foes. thinned out the chicken herd, caught some elk birds and draltha, a few kids grew up, and a thief met his end at the tip of a bronze pick.

Migrants arrived, chief among them a macedorf who was added to the combined arms squad. Nish is going to be put in traction for a time while her leg heals, unless a splint will be sufficent with a crutch.

Had to move my depot out in the open, because somewhere along the way it became inaccessible to wagons, limiting trade with home and the humies, who finally arrived in year 4.

And now I ask you guys, should I send Sazir's squad to kill the mudman FB? or try marksdorfs to see if they can make him explode himself with noxious vapors?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22940 on: May 17, 2012, 06:03:50 pm »

I got a wagon wood log, whatever that is. It's a third of a screw pump now.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #22941 on: May 17, 2012, 06:27:20 pm »

I got a wagon wood log, whatever that is. It's a third of a screw pump now.

Wagon wood logs are what a scuttled(killed) wagon drops. Was a caravan attacked recently?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22942 on: May 17, 2012, 06:27:56 pm »

Well we've begone serious cave exploitation but I do lose a lot of civilian dwarves to the wildlife. On the plus side my army is getting lots of xp.

My cunning new emergency entrance allowed an elven caravan to enter the fort safely during a siege.

Then a dragon killed some chaps, burned the outside down and gave my army a good whipping. We got him in the end.

Then finally a huge human caravan with wagons arrived so I could finally test my wagon escape route.
Alas, a siege arrived as well and intercepted the rear of the column while the front was inches from safety. Naturally, they all turned back and joined the fight to the death.
Curses. Foiled again. On the other hand it was a good battle. They got about 30 % of the siege.

Then I got tormented by goblin crossbowmen ambushes.

Later on I got sieged and totally lucked out as I had accidentally channeled into the fort but there was one tiny bridge I had put there because you never know. Even did a fighting retreat and lost no one. High fives all around.

This siege got another siege...that's a first...the original chaps left a little later on. Then a minotaur arrived and got slaughtered by goblins.
I hope they bugger off soon.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22943 on: May 17, 2012, 06:34:40 pm »

Since I only have a pair of hunters, and they're basically keeping the fort alive with elkbird meat, I've opted to try a cave in trap.

With a bed under a readied floor, I'll crush that son of a bitch. Literally.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22944 on: May 17, 2012, 08:16:17 pm »

Tonight in Wealth crystals : Slavery was abolished! Also the freakin furnace wont work... and training war dogs seems to be unethical here.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22945 on: May 17, 2012, 08:24:09 pm »

Outpost Zuntirngotun, or "Anvilcult" has been founded on a very nice place.

Lovely forested area, lots of tasty animals in the forest, limonite, hematite, coal, gold, obsidian...

Oh, and an open-air volcano right at ground level.

This has promise.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22946 on: May 17, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

Just had my first dwarf die of old age in a fort, exactly as the world passed into the third age of legends, which is the first time I've had an age change in fortress mode.
« Reply #22947 on: May 17, 2012, 09:47:39 pm »

Nishmamot (an almost duplicate fortress of what I described in my last few posts) is going really, really well.

The population has stabilized, almost all the children have grown up, we have a nice Llama and Alpaca herd for shearing and milking, a huge kennel full of war and hunting dogs, and almost every stockpile is chock full of goods.

I am currently working on a rail system down to the magma sea for my magma forges and a special stone stock pile to hold nothing by Cobaltite and Cinnabar for the purposes of floors and walls as I want the entire fortress to have Cobaltite floors and Cinnabar walls. I also found a couple of cotton candy veins when I reached the magma; but have not begun mining them as of yet.

Still need to wall up the stairs that pass through the caverns, just in case. Although my mine cart part goes through there as well and the cavern itself goes up/down several z-levels through the center of the embark site.

Because of all the special planning that went into my nigh impenetrable fortress, my current military of 7 dedicated dwarves are now almost at legendary skills in weapon, armor and shield use and all decked out in legendary steel gear (many of them have also become attached to their swords). If anything tries to fuck with this fort, it will have a bad day.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22948 on: May 17, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »

I finally got a new batch of crundles from the caverns, completing my breeding set. I went from 3 females only to about 10 in total with about 6 females.

Stocks say I have about 70 crundle eggs in nests right now.

One cavern entrance that I didn't cage-spam has a GCS trapped between some trees. I'm preparing traps and going to send a sacrificial dwarf in to fell the tree. This will make my 2nd GCS, so I'll feel more comfortable setting up some productive use of it.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22949 on: May 17, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »

Trying out a new bedroom design based on metal ore veins and I've decided I really like it. I give each dwarf couple a ~40 tile home with multiple rooms.

Here are my starting 7 dwarf homes along a vein of gold. I noticed after I took this screen that one of them only has 30 tiles, doh.

Pages: 1 ... 1528 1529 [1530] 1531 1532 ... 3842