Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1443 1444 [1445] 1446 1447 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108626 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21660 on: April 06, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »

Hey man, no dissing interspecies bromance.

Gobbo siege.

They have been vanquished! Corpses and wounded could only be retrieved after a long time of pikegobs and war jabberers camping underneath my walls.

edit: also, troll in my cavern in the middle of siege. Bastard killed a peasant.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:20:25 pm by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21661 on: April 06, 2012, 06:33:20 pm »

My current fortress, Dragongild, is doing very well.  It's mostly good-aligned sand desert, with a bit of temperate grassland to the south.  It has a river along the side, running south to north.  As such, I am currently building a massive bronze pyramid.  Progress is very slow, and I'm going to need over 1500 bronze bars total, but it's going to be a glorious sight once it's done.  The desert is a bit odd; it actually gets quite a bit of rain.  The grassland, on the other hand, gets none whatsoever.

My dwarves are completely safe within the walled, aboveground courtyard of my fort, which takes up most of the surface.  It even has a tiny, secure fishing platform over the river.  I have an airlock-type system to allow traders and wagons in, while keeping hostiles out.  I also just finished my goblin-trap system, which lures goblins in and then drowns/captures them.  The ones that end up caged go to the drop tower, which, at over 15 stories tall with spikes at the bottom, gibs them spectacularly.  I've used it three times so far, each one a rousing success.  The bait animals even survived the last one!

Dragongild is now in its sixth year, and it's a thriving county of 76 dwarves (15 of which are children/babies).  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be enough, so I just upped the pop_cap to 85 in the hopes of getting migrants.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21662 on: April 06, 2012, 06:35:00 pm »

You can have some of mine. I'm well over 140 despite a popcap of 100.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Mikymikmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Local Forum Goblin Lover + Elf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21663 on: April 06, 2012, 06:40:28 pm »

New embark... hoping to see what happens.

Got mudered by dwarven corpses in a necromancer siege.

Morale: DONT EMBARK NEAR NECROMANCER TOWERS! Unless you're a pro.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21664 on: April 06, 2012, 08:16:30 pm »

Belrisen has a drowning trap! For the elves. Assuming what I read about how in 40d elves would go to a wagon-inaccessible depot if it's closer is true and still applies now. Anyway, BWAHAHAHAHAHA. It's late Spring of the fort's second year (year 7 of the world), hurry it up you cannibal hippies!

Also, first mood. One of the founding fathers, Avuz Nilstizash the carpenter, was taken by a fey mood and demanded two logs and a metal bar. I set up a smelter and wood furnace and got him a silver one. :D C'mon, c'mon, you're a carpenter, gimmee something awesome and practical...

... a barrel. Okay, a barrel worth 15600 dwarfbucks, but it doesn't even have any entertaining images on it! It's just a highwood barrel studded with silver, encircled with bands of highwood, and it menaces with spikes of cedar. SCREW YOU okay fine you can live you are a Legendary +3 carpenter now. STILL. ... okay so I could put it in one...

EDIT: ffffff they prefer wagon-accessible depots. I managed to deconstruct that one before they got there, though, and I'm now draining the water out of the trap.

EDIT2: FFFFFF I knew embarking on an untamed wilds would cause nothing but misery. There's a giant capuchin mangling a cook right now. Goddammit.

Revenge of the EDIT: In the entrance. Aaaaaaaargh.

AND KILLING ONE OF MY MINERS AAAAAAAAAARGH

The EDIT Strikes Back: Welp. Four giant Capuchins, two with names. Also a giant grasshopper. 19 dwarves, from 24. 3 ecstatic, 1 happy, 6 content, 2 fine, 4 unhappy, 2 very unhappy, and 1 miserable. FFFFFFFFFFFF (And one axedorf from the original 7, among the unhappy. I'm screwed.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:46:20 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21665 on: April 06, 2012, 08:45:26 pm »

Someone took a fey mood just now. Took three mudstone, then made a grate with it.

Description:

This is a mustone grate. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. it is encircled with bands of mudstone. This object menaces with spikes of mudstone.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21666 on: April 06, 2012, 08:56:21 pm »

The capuchin monsters have been defeated, and Belrisen is not yet dead. 16 dwarves remain, a quarter miserable and another quarter very unhappy. The other half ranges from unhappy to still ecstatic; three of those, one the recent mooder Avuz and one, thankfully, a miner in the militia. The third is the everything-useful noble (broker, leader, bookkeeper, manager, CMD), whooo!. Another miner-militiadwarf is miserable, however - I shall have to remove his pick from him before he tantrums and kills anyone.

Ooh boy. 21 dead, 8 of them dwarves, and the remainder aren't too happy about it. Can't think why!

Make that 15. A tantrumer just murdered my last sane militiadorf. >.<

Ugh. Even Avuz is losing happiness rapidly. He made The Tame Crosses (dat barrel) in early Felsite, and as of early Malachite he's at 400ish happiness from 1000ish.

11th Malachite, 7: MIGRAAAANTS

Okay, only 4, but! But! They're all content. And completely friendless! WE MAY YET SURVIVE THIS!

Four crazy people, by the way. One stark raving, three melancholy. And the fort appears to be pulling itself out of misery other than those nutjobs who sink into it irretrievably, so whooooo!

As of 16th Timber 7, I've decided to loyalty cascade the remaining six dwarves by attacking the dorf caravan. WELCOME TO FUCKING GRAYCOAL, I'MMA GO OUT IN MADNESS!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:24:19 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21667 on: April 06, 2012, 10:28:40 pm »

After only a single year the fortress of Astkadol has met its end. Not from goblins, tantrum spirals or even the dreaded FPS death. No, it simply decided to stop loading up.

I honestly have no idea why this is happening. I've never had this problem before. When I try to load the save, DF's memory usage goes up to almost 1 GB and it crashes. The fortress is default size and as I said, only a year old, so it shouldn't be crashing like this.

It's a shame, this was my first long-term fort of .34 and I was really starting to like it.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21668 on: April 06, 2012, 11:44:55 pm »

I'm not exactly sure what the cause of it was, but I'm guessing it was from trying to turn someone's pet into a war animal that caused a loyalty cascade. The initial combat report was of the animal in question. It just turned into a war drake and immediately attacked a dwarf (drakes are domesticated status and this one was a pet). From there it turned into a civil war, with EVERYONE ATTACKING EVERYONE ELSE. All the other war drakes that have been tame and domesticated for years suddenly turned hostile, pet or not. All the military dwarves started slaughtering each other and random dwarves without hesitation.

Most of the battle took place between the barracks and animal pasture, with the last remnants of the fort hiding in the hospital zone with injuries. They couldn't hide for long.

I bet the enemy war elephants sitting in the wooden cages were laughing themselves to death at the scene. 69 dwarves and 34 war drakes dead. 30 other various animals dead. The lone survivor was a military captain with amazing attributes and some master skills, using a steel spear and a mix of steel/iron armor. What a mess.

A real wtf moment. There really is no other explanation for what happened other than trying to train someone's pet to a war animal is a bad idea.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:47:04 pm by masquerine »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21669 on: April 06, 2012, 11:54:42 pm »

The most entertaining part of a loyalty cascade is watching the last remaining dwarf get chased around by 36 animals who recognize her as a threat. This is also the most annoying, because she WON'T STOP LONG ENOUGH TO GET MAULED!

I've forbidden all the food and booze, though, so she should die eventually. Graycoal MUST fall!

AND IT HAS! Okay, time to see if there's a hot and forested embark in this world with a flowing water source that's not savage.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:02:49 am by Lielac »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21670 on: April 07, 2012, 01:15:20 am »

Machineshoots is going well; only hostile who visited our fortified plateau was a goblin snatcher who lives in a cage belonging to my militia commander.

Military is only 15 strong, 5 recruits, a hammerdorf with 2 apprentices(2 recruits,) a macedwarf with 1, and a pikedearf with 2. They hopefully will have the skill to meet an ambush. Got all the adult dogs training for battle, and put a monitor lizard up for adoption. Farming going so well with my improvised corps of one-stand in farmers that 4 medium plots aren't enough to keep them busy much of the year. I am however anticipating the worst in terms of casualties and I'm making spaces for corpses and slabs over making bedrooms (everyone sleeps in the barracks adjacent to the training area.)

I'm considering a nice open-air park on the plateau, complete with gazeebos and marble statues. I also made artificial clay ramps  along the clay hillsides for camoflauge for no reason.

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21671 on: April 07, 2012, 01:26:01 am »

Having tamed Giant Cave Spiders is like being able to call a ceasefire, they just soak the whole battlefield of goblins and dwarves in GCS webs.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21672 on: April 07, 2012, 02:08:10 am »

Having tamed Giant Cave Spiders is like being able to call a ceasefire, they just soak the whole battlefield of goblins and dwarves in GCS webs.

Ooh, do GCSs breed? Domesticate the offspring, dispose of the parents, and you've got completely safe web-generators. :D

On a note related to my new fort, Luremachines is much less of a pain than Graycoal was. It's flat, so I have to build the drowning trap on the surface, but I've decided to make a depot available to all merchants and just close the bridge on the elves when they come.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:11:33 am by Lielac »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21673 on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:57 am »

Sabreheals is having trouble with infernal ash clouds flying over anything. The dwarves, two dogs and a cat are the only living things in sight, and are locked inside, awaiting the first caravan...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21674 on: April 07, 2012, 04:45:01 am »

Ooh, do GCSs breed? Domesticate the offspring, dispose of the parents, and you've got completely safe web-generators. :D

only if you edit the raws
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1443 1444 [1445] 1446 1447 ... 3842