Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121654 times)

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20610 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:47 am »

Everything was going well. Twenty dwarves had just repelled five or so ambushes in moments. Then a mountain titan arrived. It was an austere-looking quadruped made of native silver. Noone shuts the drawbridge in time. It moved so fast. It stormed the archer's tower, Incapacitated them all, then went back for the combat dwarves. Then I had to enforce Der Blitzeinberufung, to get this bleeder dead. So they piled into it, chipping and denting it. It kept breaking their limbs, so I had to conscript more dwarves, most of which didn't bother to arm themselves. After about a month of punching, someone stabbed it in the lower body with a dagger, causing the severed part to sail off in an arc.
Anyway, then I got seven ambushes, so I'm waiting for a heavily armed caravan.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20611 on: March 14, 2012, 08:42:17 am »

MY ARCHERS AREN'T ARCHING!
Can someone tell me what steps to take to ensure they train their marksdwarf skill up?

Also, solved the starvation problem by cooking plump helmets. Yum.
And by cooking dogs.  8)

Anyways, I'm guessing I found an anvil when I sacked my old embark wagon from my previous attempt. OFF TO MAKE SOME IRON WEAPONS!

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20612 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:44 am »

My Axelords, in candy armor, with candy weapons, with silk clothes.... how did they die?

Gorkdamn Goblin Hammer Lords with Silver WarHammers, and elite bowmen ;_;.

Ibelieve a 100 level Magma pump-stack may be on the cards...

PS. Any way to get kills-list after a dorf dies?

vile

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20613 on: March 14, 2012, 09:27:46 am »

had a learning curve for my first embark to make it a few seasons in.. migration waves went like this 2,4,30 now im swamped

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20614 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:01 am »

Due to issues with breaching the aquifer (Bug where cave-in converts to more aquifer) all operations have been put on indefinite moratorium in Purplemansions (I won't play it until I figure out a way to get through the aquifer). Plans for a new settlement are already underway back at the mountainhomes.

And this was the embark site with 110k native gold.  >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:40:30 am by MehMuffin »

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20615 on: March 14, 2012, 09:29:37 am »

Can someone tell me what steps to take to ensure they train their marksdwarf skill up?

Make sure they have ammo, crossbows, an archery range and that they are scheduled to train.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20616 on: March 14, 2012, 09:44:12 am »

Quote from: RabblerouserGT
"This adorable animal can't work"

Well we're slaughtering you, then. We need food and there just happens to 50+ dogs.
sigged :D
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20617 on: March 14, 2012, 10:02:34 am »

180 dwarves... and not one of them has the diagnosis skill.

Will a non-diagnosis skill peasant learn the skill over time if appointed as the chief medical dwarf?

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20618 on: March 14, 2012, 10:09:52 am »

Due to issues with breaching the aquifer (Bug where cave-in converts to more aquifer) all operations have been put on indefinite moratorium in Purplemansions (I won't play it until I figure out a way to get through the aquifer). Plans for a new settlement are already underway back at the mountainhomes.

And this was the embark site with 110k native gold.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Use DFHack's reveal to find if there's a dry way through aquifer, remember the position, reload, and dig down.
Even if there are multiple layers of it, there's a chance they don't overlap throughout the whole map.

Also, from the wiki:

By editing the the raws and removing the [AQUIFER] tag from all of the appropriate entries in inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt it is possible to remove all aquifers from the world. This can be done before creating a new world or after, if you find a particularly neat location ruined only by the presence of an aquifer. In order to modify an existing world, you must delete the [AQUIFER] tag from the raws in the savegame's folder.

EDIT: Eleven giant badgers just tried to rush in through my main entrance. Nearly all moved in single column,
so they penetrated pretty deep through my layers of cage traps. Not deep enough though.
I made them into normal [PET]s instead of [PET_EXOTIC] so I could tame them and assign them
to guard the pasture.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:21:09 am by HD23 »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20619 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:43 am »

Will a non-diagnosis skill peasant learn the skill over time if appointed as the chief medical dwarf?

Yup, but broken toes may occasionaly result in amputated arms in the begin.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20620 on: March 14, 2012, 10:47:35 am »

Yup, but broken toes may occasionaly result in amputated arms in the begin.

"Doctor, it hurts when i press here, here and here"
"Sir,you have a broken finger!" "Right Im chopping at all off"

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20621 on: March 14, 2012, 11:23:08 am »

Make sure they have ammo, crossbows, an archery range and that they are scheduled to train.
Not to forget quivers, and ammo assigned to the squad for training in the military screen.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Haigen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20622 on: March 14, 2012, 11:29:50 am »

Well, just SLAUGHTERED and beat to death my first Elf caravan... I CAN FEEL THE DWARF BLOOD FLOWING THROUGH MY VEINS MUAHAHAHAHA..... Ahem *cough*

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20623 on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »

I just had a MASSIVE MIGRANT WAVE.

As in, my fort population just multiplied by about 2.5 times.

And I got 3 medical dwarfs. Considering I have stuff like Chessemakers in the mix too, I guess it's time to build up an army using the useless dorfs.

Also had my first birth.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:13:14 pm by Raikaria »

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20624 on: March 14, 2012, 03:26:00 pm »

There was a bug that prevented archery targets being used, do you have latest version?

Fresh embark after scrubbing loads of new sites (and new worlds) this one feels fertile, no surface coal which is a shame but breaching caverns early and starting up silk/textile industry made up for it.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl
Pages: 1 ... 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 ... 3842